Neon Genesis Evangelion

aquaboy1976

CAGiversary!
A friend from work recently recommended this to me after I talked him into watching LOST. This is the first time I watched an anime in many years (not that I watched many). I thought it was interesting in some ways because of the humor and awkwardness. In terms of story though, it got extremely confusing and difficult to follow toward the end of the series! I tried to read more about it to get a better understanding, but I just lost interest.
Has anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I'm obligated to tell you to watch the movie "End of Evangelion" if you haven't done so already.[/QUOTE]

Yes, definitely watch the movie!
It's basically the final two episodes of the series from another (slightly more sensible) viewpoint.

I also highly recommend the new movies, Evangelion 1.0 and Evangelion 2.0.
There will be 4 movies in all, serving as a re-imagining of the original story.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I'm obligated to tell you to watch the movie "End of Evangelion" if you haven't done so already.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that I did watch that. Maybe I need to watch it again!

The platinum collection is the entire original anime, with some (all?) of the director's cut episodes. The new movies are a reboot of the series. 1.0 (1.11 is the better version) is mostly the same as the first few episodes of the anime. 2.0 (2.22) is where a few differences come in. 3.0 and 4.0 aren't out yet.

i wantched the entire original series a while back with a roommate (when stationed in korea). The premise was badass but if you are waiting for the kid to grow some balls or for crazy action scenes that it seems to build up to, it aint gonna happen. The whole thing is anticlimactic. I mostly found myself calling Shinji a pussy through the whole series.

My experience with Eva: It started off slow... then it got good... then it got great... then I hit the last 2 episodes and it went straight into the crapper. I like it when my shows actually end, not dissolve off into a sequence of bizarre imagery with no ryhme or reason behind them. I have not seen End of Eva, I'm sure many folks out there would love to tell me their version of what the ending meant... but I don't care. I didn't like it, I feel no need to seek out more of it. It's just not my thing.

i hated the ending of EVA and it pretty muched ruined the series for me. for whats its worth i actually enjoyed the last two episodes of the series more than end of evangelion.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']My experience with Eva: It started off slow... then it got good... then it got great... then I hit the last 2 episodes and it went straight into the crapper. I like it when my shows actually end, not dissolve off into a sequence of bizarre imagery with no ryhme or reason behind them. I have not seen End of Eva, I'm sure many folks out there would love to tell me their version of what the ending meant... but I don't care. I didn't like it, I feel no need to seek out more of it. It's just not my thing.[/QUOTE]
They ran out of money at the end of the series and had no choice. The movie is the ending they intended in the first place.

The original last two episodes are best ignored and the movie watched in its place.

bread's done
Back