NES CLASSICS for the GBA on sale at Wal-Mart for $13.78

thesilentshadow30

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I just went to Wal-Mart today and found the NES Classics for the GBA on sale for $13.78 each. THey also had the Retro GBA SP on sale for $89.98.

This Wal-Mart was sold out of 2 of the classics I wanted, but I did pick up the Retro GBA SP & Excitebike.

I am not sure if this is just a local sale or not. I haven't went to the Wal-Mart closest to my house ( this one was in another town).

Nice find, charging 20 dollars for a game that lasts for about 30 minutes of nostalgia is just bad pricing, though.

I really won't get these though. Why spend 20 dollars for a weird Super Mario Bros. port when I have the original, or I can buy the original for less than 50 cents now?

Also, many Nintendo loyalists have Animal Crossing: which has about 10 NES games total: Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, and Excitebike are ones which are in there, and are also being sold for around 20 dollars.

Also, remember that Zelda Collectors disc? 4 great Zelda games, two of which are NES titles, and two great N64 Zelda's which were given away for free! Yet they are charging for a handheld version of one Zelda game for 19.99?

Oh, and why is Pac-Man a part of the NES Classics? That was a horrible port! And you can buy that Pac-Man Collection: with 4 Pac-Man games for less than 15 dollars now, too!

What they should have done is packaged all these individual classics onto one game cart and sell it for 29.99.

I would buy a GBA cart of 5-6 NES Classics: guaranteed.

20 dollars for one game that takes less than a few hours to beat, or a game which nostalgia value dies off in 30 minutes? I think not.

Sorry for that rant, I'm just really disappointed at how Nintendo delivered this brilliant idea and made it a waste of cash.

Nintendo, you had a brilliant idea going, but you just didn't market it right. I do like your find on the SP though, that's a good idea, the Retro SP, and I got mine from Fry's a week or so back for 88 dollars, very close to your find of it being 90 dollars.

I agree $20 is just to damn much for one game.

I bought Zelda ONLY because I had two crappy GBA games I traded in + $4.99 to get it at EB.

Also I don't see any of these ports as being "nostalgia", my idea of "nostalgia" is the originals played on the NES. NOTHING will ever top that feeling of NES goodness.

i was at my walmart today, too, and mine sucks. they were full price (as was pretty much everything else)

i need to move to reconcile my cheapassedness

Honestly, it's business. The reason they charge $20 is because people will pay it, those who really want it. So if you don't fall into the category, then you're all good, and you don't have to buy it. (I agree with you if you are) and eventually you'll find them used or blown out for under $10, at which point they may or may not be worth it to you.

But if you *have* to have it now, in the format they offer, and it's worth $20 to you, more power to you as well.

The ironic part here is that I think Nintendo DID market it correctly, and if I had to bet, I'd say that they're gonna make more money selling them individually than if they had made a compliation and sold it at some price. The main people interested in these titles are either 1) hardcore gamers or 2) ignorant kids. The later will buy them regardless of price, as will the former, who will pay what it costs. Don't forget that these titles have sold VERY well in Japan, where they are marketed in the same fashion, generating enough sales that Nintendo is will underway with releasing the second 'series' of titles. You may not like the price, but if you think it through, anyone with business sense will tell you that Nintendo probably made the right decision.

I bought the Retro SP and Zelda. I love it. Worth every penny I spent. First Gameboy since the original when I was like 12.

Zelda is the ONLY game worth buying in the series. Even tho you can play it on the collectors disc, the game lasts a while and you can play it on the run.

Some say Super Mario Bros. is worth it, but you can buy Super Mario Bros Deluxe (gameboy color game) and get so much more. Extras in the DX version include The Lost Levels, a save feature (not just high scores), racing against boo, calendar, photo album for enemies with descriptions, vs mode, challenge mode, and a bunch of mini games.

Animal Crossing does have most of the nes classic games, but its only semi-portable. Meaning that you CAN play it on the gba, but as soon as you turn it off the game is no more.

If ya don't like it, don't buy it. It won't change the fact that they have sold tons overseas and will do so here. It's the same with Sonic Mega Collection, Sega Ages, Sega Smash Pack etc. It will never go away because people will in fact buy them. It's just a sign of the times. Retro is always there and will never go away. Regardless of the pricing scheme.

Yeah but with Sega Smash Pack you got 3 games on a cartridge for $30, and with Sega Ages you got 4 games on a cartridge for $20.

Had Nintnedo put that many games on 1 cartridge, I don't think there would be so many complaints.

Actually Smash Pack was the DC disc that came bundled with new DC systems and then sold for 29.99 plus (more in some places) when it came out.

But I see what you mean with the 1 game on the cart, but the point remains. If you do not like it, do not buy it. Regardless it will sell. Nintendo is not foolish when it comes to their beloved hand held cash cow.

[quote name='KingNES']Actually Smash Pack was the DC disc that came bundled with new DC systems and then sold for 29.99 plus (more in some places) when it came out.[/quote]

there are like 12 games on the disc though

I think it would have been very retro of Nintendo to pack the new SP with SMB. Also a version of Kid Icarus instead of Xevious would have been nice.

I have to agree charging $20 bucks a piece for some old ass games, when there original counter part would be like $5 to find is just wrong.

I normally don't support piracy, but I believe I got the better deal:

64 Mbit catridge + Flash linker + pocket nes + 40 or so NES roms = $80 which is less than the cost of buying all 8 of the nes classic series for $160+ tax.

And I get quick save support :)

[quote name='mrnomis27']I think it would have been very retro of Nintendo to pack the new SP with SMB. Also a version of Kid Icarus instead of Xevious would have been nice.[/quote]

WOW...Kid Icarus. That would have been sweet.

They may have more a lot more money charging $10 for the classic series. And I know some people would argue with me but i'd like to have seen Zelda redone with Oracle or even LTTP graphics. It'd still be classic, just look a little nicer.

[quote name='jshorr']They may have more a lot more money charging $10 for the classic series. And I know some people would argue with me but i'd like to have seen Zelda redone with Oracle or even LTTP graphics. It'd still be classic, just look a little nicer.[/quote]

They were going to do something like that! I wonder what happened to that? I remember IGN showing one screen shot and they said it would be out sometime in 2002.

anyone else remember that?

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='jshorr']They may have more a lot more money charging $10 for the classic series. And I know some people would argue with me but i'd like to have seen Zelda redone with Oracle or even LTTP graphics. It'd still be classic, just look a little nicer.[/quote]

They were going to do something like that! I wonder what happened to that? I remember IGN showing one screen shot and they said it would be out sometime in 2002.

anyone else remember that?[/quote]

I don't remember hearing that, but I know they did release a remade Zelda in Japan for the BS Satellite download system, or whatever it was called, several years ago for the Super Famicom. I think it was just called BS Zelda (I guess BS doesn't have the same meaning there). So it wouldn't be too hard to port that to GBA. Anyhoo, not just Zelda, but there are tons of NES games I would to see receive a graphics upgrade. For example, a Castlevania collection like Super Mario All-Stars. Metal Gear. Hmm, I guess those are the only ones I really want. Oh, and The Adventures of Bayou Billy. No wait, that's on my list of ones I don't want.

At least the Sega Ages games when they come out in the US will be put together. The first release, Classics Collection has like 4 games in it.

I dislike the move, but I believe that the games will sell because people are clueless about their options... As previous posts have indicated, a few of these games have already been released in better versions (i.e., Pacman, SMB) on GBC/GBA...

With that said, I do wonder if this 'classics' move is also in response (in some capacity) to the Power Joy systems that seem to be filled with old NES roms like Ice Climber, Excitebike, SMB, etc., as well as the general interest in these ROMS from games like Animal Crossing, etc... I've never been given an official statement/site on whether these Power Joy systems are legal or not (or why Nintendo would allow such systems to exist and clearly copy/rip them with controller design and roms).

If you don't like some of the games you can head over to http://www.nintendo.com and participate in a survey so you can choose the next set of releases. Battletoads, Baseball Stars, Star Tropics, Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 1, 2 & 3, as well as A Boy and his Blob, Goonies II and tons more. And be glad that Nintendo fought to keep the prices at $20 because NOJapan wanted to milk them at $29.99!

I have voted, while I think it's very cool: I won't be purchasing any unless I see some kind of great sale with them. I think 19.99/14.99 is just too much for games I already have ROMs of and the original cart, nonetheless.

I can't complain if I'm able to pick up Zelda for that price, I'd love to own it. That's pretty much the only classic I think I'd buy, and for that price, I can't turn away. I've got to relive the NES experience. I hope my Wal-Mart has it on sale, thanks even if they don't though.

I think a big part of Nintendo's push on this is to get the old games in circulation again.... which means they can actively pursue pirate groups.

[quote name='GhostsToGlory']I can't complain if I'm able to pick up Zelda for that price, I'd love to own it. That's pretty much the only classic I think I'd buy, and for that price, I can't turn away. I've got to relive the NES experience. I hope my Wal-Mart has it on sale, thanks even if they don't though.[/quote]

if my wal mart has this sale, im gonna buy zelda also...even though i dont own a gbasp yet...that will change soon though if fye ever gets the retro edition in stock

either way, bb has this for $15 after the ggc...so missing out on this sale wont be that bad

bread's done
Back