NES controllers for Switch preorder

We've always had issue with it but now that a) it's come to fruition and b) has been implemented poorly, our disdain is officially justified. Before we'd have people like you saying "you're complaining but it's not even out yet so you're just whining over nothing". Can't win with corporate shill apologists.
This^

Just going through these threads again makes me want to spend half my day souping up my RetroPi. Sad that the majority of my motivation is basically "fuck you Nintendo"
Been there, done that. LOL

Subbed a year of the online for $20, but they're absolutely crazy selling these at $60 for a two pack, considering it's only limited to NES Online games, and nothing more. $30 for two, and I likely would have bought them immediately. Wireless, a rechargeable battery, and a couple extra buttons (SL & SR) can't possibly cost Nintendo an extra $20 per controller, over the $10 NES Classic Edition versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm not the only one who has spent more time building, setting up, and customizing my RetroPi than actually playing retro games?
Actually, the RetroPi is on my to do list(I have a killer set up in mind), but I've spent more than my fair share of time getting retro games running, with the Nvidia Shield Portable & N3DS being my most recent efforts. My earliest is probably the PC, and then I went to the handheld open-source communities of stuff like the GP2X, WIZ, Dingoo and Open Pandora(waiting on the Pyra).

I actually do play my retro games pretty regularly, but that time can be exclusive to one system, and the neglect of others. LOL I actually have a custom made MAME all-in-one controller joystick, that is really maybe the best controller ever built. And in the 10 or so years since I had it built, I think I used it once. I have done the same for some of my other retro efforts as well, as nothing is immune from being ignored.

Nothing ever runs retro the same, and so getting most things running properly.......well, you know more than most how much time that takes. I've done it way more than I would have liked, but I can also say I've spent some decent time playing the games as well. Nowhere near as much as the effort I've put in to get things working, but a decent amount none the less.

I spent months planning, building, and installing my retropie bar top. That was like 2 or 3 years ago. Ive likely spent an hour playing with it. Was still worth it- looks awesome on the bar.

Now I’m working on a pc based retro box. I’m gonna spend even more time just on the pc build (from old spare parts) and the software side of it- after that’s 100% finished I’ll eventually build a cocktail table to put it in.

So I'm not the only one who has spent more time building, setting up, and customizing my RetroPi than actually playing retro games?

I have a Switch but don’t really keep up with it. At Target I saw they make a left controller with a Dpad in place of the buttons. Anyone have this? Is it a good alternative to the NES controllers?

Subbed a year of the online for $20, but they're absolutely crazy selling these at $60 for a two pack, considering it's only limited to NES Online games, and nothing more. $30 for two, and I likely would have bought them immediately. Wireless, a rechargeable battery, and a couple extra buttons (SL & SR) can't possibly cost Nintendo an extra $20 per controller, over the $10 NES Classic Edition versions.
I think it's a fair price...

That's exactly the cost to upgrade the shell of an NES Classic controller ($10) or original NES controller with the 8bido mod ($20).... and that's a less compatible controller and requires a separate charger. The flip side is, the 8bitdo option is compatible as it's own controller and useful with other devices. Still, it seems fair at $60 for 2 of them and no modding or separate charger needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why they made these, the NES controller is one of the worst controllers ever made aside from the N64 controller, the sides of it dig into your hands since its sharp and square. Had they made the dogbone design, which is a very much superior design to the original I can see wanting to buy these. It would also have been sweet if they included a removable cable to connect them to a NES classic or the original NES. There needs to be some value included with this and so far I see none, its basically wasting $60, or paying an additional $60 to play NES games. I haven't paid for online yet and I see no reason to yet at least for me personally.

That's exactly the cost to upgrade the shell of an NES Classic controller ($10) or original NES controller with the 8bido mod ($20)
Except this is a single item, coming direct from the original manufacturer. The complete cost of an external upgrade kit shouldn't factor in so directly. I can see $40 for the pair - no more.

NES controllers never cost more than $19.99, and that was way back in the day when electronics were far less commoditized than now.

I am not sure why they made these, the NES controller is one of the worst controllers ever made
Anything about the NES is nostalgia-related. The original controllers are one of the most iconic sights in videogaming - ALL of videogaming. You don't see the dogbone on T-shirts and belt buckles, you see the brick. Actual usability has nothing to do with it (not that plenty of people, me included, don't get plenty of usability out of the original controllers anyway). The interest - and sales - they want are directly tied to the original, recognizable, hardware.

Except this is a single item, coming direct from the original manufacturer. The complete cost of an external upgrade kit shouldn't factor in so directly. I can see $40 for the pair - no more.

NES controllers never cost more than $19.99, and that was way back in the day when electronics were far less commoditized than now.

Anything about the NES is nostalgia-related. The original controllers are one of the most iconic sights in videogaming - ALL of videogaming. You don't see the dogbone on T-shirts and belt buckles, you see the brick. Actual usability has nothing to do with it (not that plenty of people, me included, don't get plenty of usability out of the original controllers anyway). The interest - and sales - they want are directly tied to the original, recognizable, hardware.
Yeah I get that the NES controller is recognizable. But its pretty foolish to pay for something that uncomfortable. I don't have the service yet, are you allowed to use the pro controller, that controller is pretty nice, I have one.

$20 in 1985 is equal to about $45 today, but yeah considering the controllers have such limited functionality with the system, I can see $40 being more reasonable for the pair as well. Have you ever taken apart an original NES controller, its extremely simple and barebones inside, its a circuit board, a cable, a controller shell and a few button pads and plastic buttons, its the most simple and easy controller to take apart and clean. I've probably taken apart and cleaned at least 25 of them in my life. Again if they offered a dogbone version I would be much more excited. I have the toploader NES with dogbone controller which in NES collecting is the most sought after system and controller, at least it was when I started collecting which was a long time ago.

If they had more functionality than just working with only the switch's online NES games, then I might be in for a pair and the online service. If i paid for the online service I don't even see myself using that part of the service that much so its pretty much going to be a novelty to me. I am not good at NES games, nor do I see myself in a hot competition amongst friends playing them.

bread's done
Back