NES Grey Screen

Zeifer

CAG Veteran
So I decided to pull my NES out of storage the other day and play some of my old games but when I turned it on I got the dreaded blinking grey screen that was usually solved when I was younger either by blowing into the cart/system or smacking the system around like an abusive husband. Anyways I decided to look thru google and youtube for tips on what to do to remedy the problem and have over the last day used rubbing alcohol on a cart and the connectors within the system (Although I didn't see anything come off so either that wasn't the issue or I didn't do it firmly enough) as well as use a needle to pull out the recessed prongs on the 72 pin connector. Currently I get a solid grey screen with the one cart I cleaned with alcohol and still getting the blinking grey screen with all other carts. I did get the one cart I cleaned to work for a half hour immediately after cleaning but prior to opening the NES to work with the electronic guts. Help?

Edit: I can confirm that I did seem to fix the 72 pin issue as now the carts fits snugly into the connector when inside and require a bit of pull to remove.

Buy a new Pin 72 connector from Ebay. The last I checked, they were selling for ten dollars or less including shipping and handling.

Installing the new Pin 72 connector is pretty easy as the Nintendo NES is a very basic console. Just remember to set aside your screws according to size and be careful not to loose them and you should be fine.

Unscrew the casing, then unscrew the aluminum cover. The Pin 72 connector will pull out fairly easily. Now, just do everything you've done from this point forward, only backwards.

It's easy.

Easiest way I found to clean a cartridge connector is with a piece of cardboard, some paper and alcohol. I cover the end of the cardboard I'll be using with the paper and then spread some alcohol along the edge, top and bottom of the paper, then slide it in and out, wiggling up and down as I go. Replace paper as it gets dirty, repeat until paper comes out looking fairly clean.

I'd take the unit apart, and also clean the board itself. Basically, on the inside, there's a second connector, and it looks just like a cart, just... a lot bigger. Clean that, and poke carefully with the adapter. You'll find it'll just slide off after you take out 4 screws, I think. Also, you may just wanna draw up a hot sink of soapy water, and just soak the coupler thingy for a while. I've found that helps to, gets in there everywhere. Just don't put the mainboard in there, clearly. :p

To re-empasize:

Take the unit apart.
Remove the black coupler.
Clean the board connectors like you did the carts.
Soak the coupler for about 15 minutes or so in hot dish soapy water.
Let dry, shouldn't take too long, but, give it an hour or so. The hot water will hopefully dissipate quickly.
Re-assemble
Have fun.

-Haz

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back