NES problem Help!

ghostriderxxx

CAG Veteran
I have a front load NES that no longer works and I was hoping you might be able to answer some questions for me (please J). Here are the symptoms (and things I’ve tried):
NES powers (no blinking light) to black screen. Depending on the game I have audio (I can actually start the game and play) ex: Monster Party and Double Dragon 2 both have audio and can play. Tetris & Mario are black, no audio or video.

I have cleaned the pins, adjust them, cleaned the mother board connector and still no video. I have used multiple 72 pin connectors that I know work (pulled from working systems) and tried RF and component connections. The capacitors look good to me (not corroded or bulged, etc). I disabled the lock out chip (and still no luck).

all games have been tested on 2 other systems and work fine (tetris, tetris 2, 3 marios, double dragon 2 and monster party)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LostRoad']Sounds like the games and not the system, are you able to try them on another NES?[/QUOTE]yeah, i'll have to edit my post to reflect this. all games have been tested and work on other (working systems).

It sounds like you've got a genuinely messed up NES. It's probably going to be extremely difficult to fix it. I wouldn't even try. Just get another.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It sounds like you've got a genuinely messed up NES. It's probably going to be extremely difficult to fix it. I wouldn't even try. Just get another.[/QUOTE]
yeah, pretty much figured that...

[quote name='chronodev']agreed, wouldnt waste more time on it..just go buy another at a flea market or something[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if it has problems with specific games, and you've thrown multiple 72-pin connectors at it, it's best just to give up. There's probably something with the console that doesn't like those specific games. NES carts had special processors called mappers, and this console sounds like it doesn't like certain ones. Or, in the case of Mario 1, it might have problems handling itself because I don't think Mario 1 used mappers.

Try this:
With the nes disconnected . Get a crappy game soak that bitch up with alcohol shove it in and out a few times clean the pins on the cart and repeat process again, see if that works.

[quote name='TiKi2']Try this:
With the nes disconnected . Get a crappy game soak that bitch up with alcohol shove it in and out a few times clean the pins on the cart and repeat process again, see if that works.[/QUOTE]

It's not nessecary to use a game for that- it's not diffcult to jury-rig a system cleaner by wrapping CD wipes around a credit card (or similar-sized card). I used to do it a lot.

You said the caps aren't bulging but they could very well have dried out over the years. As far as I know, you can't necessarily tell just by looking at them. I haven't looked into the NES but its becoming a problem on the early model Sega Genesis.

I guess you could test them with a multimeter to see if they're the problem.

[quote name='Macheezmo']Have you tried disabling the security chip? I've had temperamental systems fixed by that[/QUOTE]yep, security chip has been disabled, still no luck..

[quote name='TiKi2']Try this:
With the nes disconnected . Get a crappy game soak that bitch up with alcohol shove it in and out a few times clean the pins on the cart and repeat process again, see if that works.[/QUOTE](cringe) - the pins are pretty clean...scrubbed them good with alchol and windex

bread's done
Back