nes repair blues

oaul

CAG Veteran
Im trying to fix the 72 pin connection on one of my toaster nes's. I bought a broken nes "that needs a new 72 pin" on ebay. Upon plugging it in i could not get any of my games to work - randomly colored screens and power-cycling (and yes, the games are clean. I have another nes that works great).

So i bought a new 72 pin, and that solved the power cycling BUT the screen would just be a random blue/green/pink color. However, MarioBros/Duck HUnt works fine... its the only game that works.

I thought it might be the motherboard connection. I tried everything. Eraser... rubbing alcohol, electrical contact cleaner. Doesn't do shit.

Any ideas? Please god don't tell me to clean my games. They are clean. Here are the key facts:

1. A new 72 pin made a difference (suggesting that there is in fact at least a problem with the connection)
2. The motherboard contacts are SHINY. I've seen dirty nes mobos and this is just as clean as my other nes that works.
3. One game works. My other two (shitty golf game and powerpak do NOT)

thanks...

UPDATE : Tried disabling the lock out chip. Didn't do anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number 3rd party NES emulator systems that work quite well

Yes I know - I have one. But the flashable powerpak cartridge needs to be run on original hardware, and i and those whom im giving this nes to are all about nostalgia...

Are you sure the other two games are clean? Got some Brass-O (brass polish) and a q-tip and clean the hell out of both sides of the game connectors. You'd be surprised how much oxidation comes off, even if you can't see it on there.

Yes, i am sure they are clean. Q-tips come off clean, and as i said they play JUST FINE with my other nes. I don't even need to push down the cart in the springy thing.

I hate to say it but it sounds like the NES's PPU is shot. Not a whole lot you can do about that save for desoldering it and soldering in a new one. You could just replace the entire NES motherboard though but you'd basically just have to buy another NES. Wish I could be of more help.

My NES does that stuff all the time. It even has the old 72 pin connector from when i came out. OK, this is what i do to mine. 1. Keep game not pushed down. 2. Turn Power on 3. If red light keeps flashing or colors are screwed, dare i say hit it and keep turning it on and off till the game comes on . Supprizingly My NES works even though i have to hit it on most games to work. This is maby not the best way to fix it but it sure works on mine.
Note: im not responsible for any damage done to the NES by hitting it or dropping it from 1 ft in the air

bread's done
Back