NES & SNES Collections

B

Blackout

I recently bought a Retro Duo SNES/NES as well as some games to go along with it. I want to get the games I used to have as a kid and also start up a retro collection. The thing is, I'm trying to get the games complete, but for a lot of them, I either can't find them complete or they're way too pricey. How do you guys deal with it? Is most of your collections loose carts or do you try to get boxes, manuals, etc?

So far I have Chester Cheetah, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Super Metroid (without manual) complete. I have a few more games on the way from ebay. The only NES game I have at the moment is a loose cart Goonies 2.

What games do you suggest I pick up that are fun? I'm really into the old school platformers.

CAGS, how are your collections? If you got pics, post them!

My NES collection isn't all that, but I have built up a decent SNES collection:

DSC00545a.jpg

This is about 2 years old. My best CIB finds were off of ebay. I bought in bulk and sold the duplicates. I still have a bunch to unload if you're interested. Currently, I have about 270 SNES games with a little over 200 of those boxed. I started collecting in 2007. Most of this is what I had from the SNES-era days. The ones on the right of the drawer, starting with the two sealed games, were bought in 2007. The exception being the Chrono Trigger. I bought it at release:

DSC00478a.jpg

I have a bunch for trading, but most are sports games.

Last edited by a moderator:
My current going plan for the collection is to get complete copies of everything PS1 and newer (a task that's largely complete at this point), and everything older can be cart-only (the only non-cart system I'm not focusing on complete copies of is the Sega CD, because it's too damn hard to get those long box cases.)

Considering that, as a general rule, carts hold up just fine on their own, I see no reason to push for complete games- I'll take 'em when I can get 'em, but I won't spend a whole lot extra for it. Disc based games need a case for storage anyway, so it might as well be the original one.

I'll post pictures later, I don't have anything handy.

No pics (yet), but I have been focusing on old favs and hard to find stuff. My collection includes:

NES:
Super Mario Bros. (without duck hunt)
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
A Boy and His Blob
Bubble Bobble
Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
Hogans Alley
Super C
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Metroid (original design)
And a few others that I cannot remember off the top of my head...

SNES:
LoZ: A Link to the Past
Earthbound
Game Genie

Being in San Antonio, TX makes it really easy to find old games due to the large amount of Flea Markets around here. I have not spent much time looking for games as of late, but I think I am going to start focusing on SNES games for a while.

Since some are putting up their NES/SNES collection (these pics do NOT include all my NES/SNES games):
000_4008.jpg

000_4010.jpg

000_4020.jpg

000_4022.jpg

000_4025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, those collections are impressive. I'll see if I can post some pics up, but mine are loose cart or cart and manual. My sister actually hooked me up with 20 NES carts for $10 at a thrift store recently. It included some gems like SMB 3, SMB2, Battletoads, RC ProAM, and Zelda along with some others I can't remember.

I also remember the day I threw away all my game boxes from Intellivision, NES, SNES and gameboy because I "needed the space" :bomb:
I would go back and beat the crap out of that kid :lol:

[quote name='addicted2games']Since some are putting up their NES/SNES collection (these pics do NOT include all my NES/SNES games):

000_4020.jpg

[/QUOTE]

This image in particular made me drool. Also, that's an awesome shelf, where did you get that?

[quote name='bvharris']This image in particular made me drool. Also, that's an awesome shelf, where did you get that?[/QUOTE]
I bought most of those in stores when they came out back in the day. The others I got on ebay and paid a pretty penny for some. You dont see my most prized SNES game in there. Its a factory sealed mint Chrono Trigger I keep put up. Yes I have a mint complete opened copy in the picture, but I also have a factory sealed one. :)

[quote name='addicted2games']I bought most of those in stores when they came out back in the day. The others I got on ebay and paid a pretty penny for some. You dont see my most prized SNES game in there. Its a factory sealed mint Chrono Trigger I keep put up. Yes I have a mint complete opened copy in the picture, but I also have a factory sealed one. :)[/QUOTE]

I was asking about the shelf. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I was asking about the shelf. :D[/QUOTE]
haha, I misread your question obviously. Been a long day. Anyways I got 3 of these locking cabinets at Lowes about 5 years ago for $100 each. They are very sturdy. But they no longer make this cabinet. I think the brand is Sauder.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ these are crazy collections. I have like 30 loose cart NES games and 10 loose cart SNES games....you guys are truly on a different level.

[quote name='addicted2games']Since some are putting up their NES/SNES collection (these pics do NOT include all my NES/SNES games):
000_4008.jpg

[/QUOTE]Seriously sweet collection man! Faxanadu & Dragon Warrior are two of my favorite NES games.
As for my own collection, I don't have boxes for anything, but I do have almost all of the game books for my games, and all the club nintendo (or whatever it was back then) stuff for the original Zelda (maps and stuff like that).
I only have 17 games, a dwarf of a collection compared to the one I quoted. :p

EDIT: just realized I bumped this from 2 months ago, sorry. That's what I get for using search and not looking at dates.

No pics of my collection right now, but I collect boxed 2600, NES, Genesis, and other older stuff. Best way is of course EBAY, as most of the stores that sprung up 10 years ago catering to vintage stuff have gone the way of the dodo. As someone stated earlier, buying lots is the cheapest way. Don't get scared by sticker shock, as you'll be spending a bunch at one time, but the average price per game is far lower than buying individually.

And if anyone out there has boxed vintage stuff they're looking to rid themselves of (or a Philips CD-i), send me a PM.

Oh yeah, how could I forget?
DSCF0037.jpg

Practically brand new (I have one set up that I still play, the one in the box has hardly ever been used), still have all the instruction booklets, poster/setup guide, nintendo power card, and other stuff. I even have the original wire ties and plastic bags that came with it. :p

[quote name='nickerous']
DSC00545a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

And here I thought I was the only one with a Game Saver +. :applause:

[quote name='addicted2games']But they no longer make this cabinet. I think the brand is Sauder.[/QUOTE]

They don't make them anymore? Bummer. I have the same one and I've been wanting to buy another because my games are overflowing. Looks like I'm have to find a different one...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Considering that, as a general rule, carts hold up just fine on their own, I see no reason to push for complete games- I'll take 'em when I can get 'em, but I won't spend a whole lot extra for it. Disc based games need a case for storage anyway, so it might as well be the original one. [/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth. I'm a gamer first, collector second so there is no need for me to spend extra time and money to track down original packaging.

[quote name='Blackout']What games do you suggest I pick up that are fun? I'm really into the old school platformers. [/QUOTE]

You came to the right console. There are loads of platformers on NES/SNES. Obviously, Mario is a no-brainer.

If you are really into old platformers as you say you are, you should pick Batman: The Video Game and Little Nemo: Dream Master. Both are great games, but they'll make you cringe at the very least from frustration.

[quote name='MortalKombat2007']

You came to the right console. There are loads of platformers on NES/SNES. Obviously, Mario is a no-brainer.

If you are really into old platformers as you say you are, you should pick Batman: The Video Game and Little Nemo: Dream Master. Both are great games, but they'll make you cringe at the very least from frustration.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep my eye out for those. :cool:

Even though the boxes are generally worthless for cartridges, I definitely wish my parents (and others') hadn't thrown out the boxes and manuals after getting the games. The collector inside of me wishes he had at least one to relive the memory of holding those in my hands as a kid.

As for myself, I lost a lot of NES and SNES games through out the times I've moved as a kid (which I'm gonna assume are due to parents either tossing or selling games), so my collection's not as large as it should be. Don't have time to take a picture, but here's what I've got:

NES
A Boy and His Blob
Batman
Blaster Master
Duck Hunt
DuckTales
Dragon Warrior
Legendary Wings
Legend of Zelda
Little Nemo the Dream Master
Metal Gear
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Ninja Gaiden
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
Tetris

SNES
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy III
F-Zero
Killer Instinct
Mega Man X
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Star Fox
Super Game Boy (if that counts)
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super R-Type

[quote name='nickerous']My NES collection isn't all that, but I have built up a decent SNES collection:

DSC00545a.jpg

This is about 2 years old. My best CIB finds were off of ebay. I bought in bulk and sold the duplicates. I still have a bunch to unload if you're interested. Currently, I have about 270 SNES games with a little over 200 of those boxed. I started collecting in 2007. Most of this is what I had from the SNES-era days. The ones on the right of the drawer, starting with the two sealed games, were bought in 2007. The exception being the Chrono Trigger. I bought it at release:

DSC00478a.jpg

I have a bunch for trading, but most are sports games.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit. All those SNES games must be worth a fortune.

[quote name='nickerous']Eh, not quite. I'm in the midst of selling off a bunch of them and they are not fetching great prices on ebay right now.[/QUOTE]

Of course, it's ebay. Try amazon and be patient :p

000_4008.jpg

000_4010.jpg

000_4020.jpg

000_4022.jpg

000_4025.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The really impressive part, imho, is that you kept all the boxes intact. I don't think I ever looked at the box a second time after it was open.

A friend of mine out in Missouri used to know a guy who knew this Japanese dude that I think was fairly well known in the gaming community maybe 7 or 8 years ago named Shou Sama. I'll have to ask the guy if he still has the pictures still, but this guy Shou had everything ever, period. If it turned on and played games, he had it. No game too rare, no console too obscure, he had EVERYTHING, and that included Japanese, American, and Euro stuff as well. All I remember were that the pictures were breath taking. I'll have to ask whatever happened to him, but from what I remember the guy ended up moving out to Cali and sold most of his collection off.

I am very impressed by all of the boxed/complete games that folks have for their NES and SNES collections. I don't have pictures, but my collection list is in my sig.

Most of my games are boxed/complete, with the exception of NES/SNES because they came in cardboard boxes, and I never even thought of holding onto them when I was younger. I keep everything now though, for all it's worth...

Man am I jealous. it's time for me to start collecting complete games for the NES and SNES. The loose games I have are
NES:
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Castlevania
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
The Legend of Zelda
Double Dragon
Tecmo Bowl
Tecmo Superbowl
SNES:
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Castlevania 4
Castlevania Dracula X
Donkey Kong Country 2
Zelda
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars

These collections are really great! The only complete SNES games I have are Contra Alien Wars, Super Castlevania IV, UN Squadron, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, and Axelay. Would anyone like to sell me the box for Dracula X? :)

For NES games, I picked up a 'Power Pak' http://www.retrousb.com/

Runs just like a game on the NES but runs off a smartmedia card that you store all the games and save files on. Allows homebrew and roms to run just how a real game would on the NES. It's a bit $$$ but it's 1 cart which works in any NES and even a friends retro duo and carries as many games as you want.

Looking at these collections makes me cry. I used to have an NES and a SNES. However, I was foolish to give those away when I was 11 because I got the PS2. Oh man I can't believe it now. I had probably 15-20 NES games and maybe a few more SNES games. Even now with my 64, I got the game, took out the game, and proceeded to throw the case and manual away. If I knew then what I know now, things would certainly be different. I've always thought about making another go with collecting those games but it would probably be too expensive, especially with the economy and me being a college student. At least I have your collections to look at and the virtual console on the Wii. Thanks guys for the pics.

I just parted with the NES with 76 games, the powerpad, the satelite conntector, the 4 way adaptor, the orange zapper and 4 controllers. I was so sad to see them go. But I kep the original Final Fanasty still in it's box.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Classic games lost a lot of value once they became available online for the Wii, PS3, 360.[/QUOTE]
You'd think so, but they still aren't dropping to reasonable prices. Especially not with local game stores that use eBay as a means for pricing.

great thread, i have some good pix also, cant post just yet but will do asap :) is it complete with manual, ok i will take it :)

I probably have 60+ SNES games and like 3-4 Super Famicom games.

Most of them don't have boxes.

Most of the games I find don't have boxes; you almost had to buy them at release to get the box.

One of the underrated gems of the SNES is a Natsume game called Wild Guns. It plays like Cabal/Nam 75/ Blood Brothers and is the only game of its kind on the SNES.

[quote name='ROB64']Oh yeah, how could I forget?
DSCF0037.jpg

Practically brand new (I have one set up that I still play, the one in the box has hardly ever been used), still have all the instruction booklets, poster/setup guide, nintendo power card, and other stuff. I even have the original wire ties and plastic bags that came with it. :p[/QUOTE]

i have the same exact one - original box and all - im pretty happy i kept it in that good of shape since i was about 10 or so at the time

NES
Contra Force
Crystalis
Deja Vu
Dick Tracy
Dragon Warrior
Faxanadu
Final Fantasy
Guardian Legend
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Pro Wrestling
Shadowgate
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl

SNES
7th Saga
Actraiser 2
Batman Returns
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Bill Walsh College Football
Brain Lord
Breath of Fire 2
Chrono Trigger
Desert Strike
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
Earthworm Jim 2
ESPN National Hockey Night
F-Zero
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fight
Illusion of Gaia
Jungle Strike
Jurassic Park
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Mega Man X
MLBPA Baseball
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
NBA Give 'N Go
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NBA Live '95
NBA Live '96
NBA Live '97
NCAA Basketball
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Oscar
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Secret of Evermore
Shadowrun
Sim City
Sonic Blast Man
Spiderman-Venom: Maximum Carnage
Star Fox
Sunset Riders
Super Adventure Island
Super Adventure Island 2
Super Bases Loaded
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super R-Type
Super Smash TV
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Super Tennis
Tecmo Super Baseball
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo Super Bowl 2
Tecmo Super Bowl 3
Tecmo Super NBA Basketball
Tin Star
U.N. Squadron
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Urban Strike
Wayne Gretzky & The NHLPA All-Stars
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Some really nice lists here. I don't have any NES games at the moment (though I do have an NES) but I have a decent SNES collection, though none of them are CIB. At the moment I have Super Mario World (the cartidge is in nasty condition though), Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Final Fantasy II and III, Kirby Super Star and Super Mario All Stars. Not planning on selling on those anytime soon so maybe I'll go out and look for the boxes one day, who knows.

I wish I could go back and tell my younger self not to throw away the boxes and manuals. As far as I was concerned at the time games were just toys and I had no use for the packaging and I knew how to play the games.

I'll post a list of my SNES/NES collection when I find them. (I moved into my new place like a month or two ago and I still have a bunch of moving boxes that I've yet to look through)

Très très belle collection ici! De bon jeux sur nes et snes!

je posterais ici même quelques photo de ma collection bientôt les gars.

bread's done
Back