Nes top loader Black screen 2 white horizontal lines

[quote name='Chuplayer']You got me. Give it some cleaning?[/QUOTE]

okay. Ive calmed down. My system is in bad shape, and that's why i was messing with it. But suddenly, it broke. It was like it short ciruited. thats 89 bucks I'm never getting back if I cant fix it. I'll try what you said in the morning, If I can get any sleep tonight. I'm nervous because my parents don't approve of me buying consoles and I probably wont be allowed to find another. :cry:

What were you doing with it to make it short circuit?

If you had it open, tell your parents to calm down. You're doing learny tinkery stuff that's good for you. Sometimes you end up trashing expensive equipment. It happens. It's only the end of the world if you let it be.

A good cheaper alternative would be to get an original style NES and a replacement 72-pin connector. The AV output is better on that version without any modding, too.

Ive already broken a computer tinkering. they might not like to hear that excuse again. But you're right.

I was messing wih the reset button's solder points on the bottom of the board with a wire. One must have hit another solder point or something.

How did you break a computer by tinkering? If you tell me that you screwed up a Windows installation, you know you can reinstall it, right? If I had a dollar for every person who thinks their computer is irreparably damaged solely because Windows no longer boots up, I'd be a very rich man.

You sound like you might be into this stuff. Get yourself some basic electronics knowledge. http://www.gamesx.com is a great place to start for gaming hardware and some electronics theory. http://www.pinouts.ru for pinouts of just about anything. Those sites are great for reference. Get your parents to get you some books about the basics. I don't have any to recommend, unfortunately. I'm a bit past that.

Get some soldering equipment. Radio Shack's not bad for beginners, but I'd recommend some quality Hakko equipment from http://www.techni-tool.com when or if you feel you've graduated to the next level.

Want to reinstall Windows? Google around. If you've at the very least got a CD key license sticker on the computer, you can probably reinstall a legit Windows even if you don't currently have an installer CD. It's not rocket science. I figured out aspects of it for myself, and if you screw up, you can always start over. When it comes to installing Windows, the only thing you've got to waste is time. Don't fear the BIOS either. Treat it with respect, and it won't let you down.

[quote name='wyatt8740']I was messing wih the reset button's solder points on the bottom of the board with a wire. One must have hit another solder point or something.[/QUOTE]

Was the power on while you were doing this? If so, you could have done any number of undesirable things to the console.

Was the reset button not working? If not, you really need to learn how switches work and why they work before you do something like that.

To add to the list of advice in my previous post, don't forget a good multimeter. I like using digital multimeters.

Are the white lines static or do they migrate up the screen?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Hey, wait a sec, you're the same guy from the other topic. You paid 89 bucks for that rusted out crap?[/QUOTE]

This, really... I mean, do top loaders really sell for that normally? I thought they hovered more in the 40-60 range. (Mine was 5 bucks. I am a lucky lil' cookie. :D)

[quote name='DuelLadyS']This, really... I mean, do top loaders really sell for that normally? I thought they hovered more in the 40-60 range. (Mine was 5 bucks. I am a lucky lil' cookie. :D)[/QUOTE]

Yeah. And the worst part is, you don't know what shape they're in until you buy them. And yeah, I was in the other thread. The lines are static and look like static rf lines.

[quote name='wyatt8740']Yeah. And the worst part is, you don't know what shape they're in until you buy them.[/QUOTE]

They didn't tell you that it was a rusted out piece of crap and the reset button didn't work? Was it an as-is no refunds auction? If not, that's when you file a dispute. Not two months later and after a paperclip mod.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Hey, wait a sec, you're the same guy from the other topic. You paid 89 bucks for that rusted out crap?[/QUOTE]

It said like new. Now I know never to buy from that guy again.

[quote name='wyatt8740']It said like new. Now I know never to buy from that guy again.[/QUOTE]

Now you should know to file a dispute. You shouldn't have even needed to open the console to find the rust inside because the reset button already didn't work.

OK, I've not been able to get my $ back but for Xmas I got a "toaster" NES unit and ROB, so I'm happy enough.
...If only Gyromite had the 60-72 pin adapter in it...

[quote name='Chuplayer']They didn't tell you that it was a rusted out piece of crap and the reset button didn't work? Was it an as-is no refunds auction? If not, that's when you file a dispute. Not two months later and after a paperclip mod.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if it's a "no refunds" auction. eBay rules still dictate that the item must arrived as described. If it doesn't, you still qualify for a refund ;) [quote name='wyatt8740']It said like new. Now I know never to buy from that guy again.[/QUOTE]

Then that's most definitely a reason to file a claim. Now you also know that you CAN indeed file a claim for this sort of thing and to NOT wait so long before doing so. FYI, you have 45 days to do so.

[quote name='wiggyx']Doesn't matter if it's a "no refunds" auction. eBay rules still dictate that the item must arrived as described. If it doesn't, you still qualify for a refund ;)

Then that's most definitely a reason to file a claim. Now you also know that you CAN indeed file a claim for this sort of thing and to NOT wait so long before doing so. FYI, you have 45 days to do so.[/QUOTE]

Except this was ~1.5 years ago. The OP necrobumped this thread last month. :lol:

bread's done
Back