NES Worth $16,000?

Fatality

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
Never opened. Frozen in time. That's what the claims are for a rare 1985 launch edition of the Nintendo Entertainment System being sold on eBay. Wrapped in plastic in a handled cardboard box, the NES up for grabs is apparently in the same state that retailers received it more than 20 years ago.

It's a Deluxe Set—which contains the R.O.B. sidekick and the Zapper light gun peripheral, along with the console unit, two controllers and Gyromite and Duck Hunt cartridges

http://kotaku.com/5868425/is-this-nes-worth-16000

[quote name='cochesecochese']I just want to say...VGA is a crock of shit. fuck those motherfuckers.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?

I only got $300+ for a MINT never opened NES set-up that was the Special Edition T.M.N.T. system only released in Europe. The only way that's worth $1600 is if it includes Stadium Events.

[quote name='sdragon']Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

Sure.

Basically VGA stepped in from nowhere and started claiming they were the single authority on video game grading. This wouldn't be too much of an issue except for the fact that the VGA does not publicly list any guidelines on how or why it grades a game a certain way.

Secondly, VGA has been caught on several occasions re-sealing games and marking them as factory sealed. In addition to this, VGA has bought several other peoples' games, applied a 'grade' and acrylic case, and then resold the game at a 30 percent or higher markup. There are a myriad of other rumours and accusations regarding their business practices. However, due to the questionable sources of these rumours I'll let you dig them up on your own rather than spread them without firm evidence.

Personally I am rather resentful of the VGA mucking up what was once a fun hobby filled with lots of folks willing to help people out. There have always been price gougers and idiots willing to pay their prices, but VGA cranked it up to an entirely different level.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I only got $300+ for a MINT never opened NES set-up that was the Special Edition T.M.N.T. system only released in Europe. The only way that's worth $1600 is if it includes Stadium Events.[/QUOTE]

Missing a zero there ;)

I'd say it's worth maybe $3,000, tops. The last Deluxe Set I watched (ungraded) ended at $1,500 a while back.

[quote name='sdragon']I do think it's a conflict of interest to be grading AND selling...[/QUOTE]

If you think that is a conflict of interest, you should see what Beckett is doing. The company has been publishing sports card price guides since at least the 80's. When card grading became big they got into the market. Of course according to their publications their graded cards carry a premium over other companies that have been grading loooong before they have.

When I see something like that I don't take their product seriously.

[quote name='sykotek']$16,000!! Must be an NES-001.[/QUOTE]

The first Nintendo DS ever made.

Came here for this, was not disappointed.

[quote name='cochesecochese']So then it's worth $1,500. VGA grading means nothing.[/QUOTE]
VGA grading might not mean anything to you, but it does to many sealed game collectors. And that $1,500 NES wasn't one of the first ones that didn't say "Deluxe Set" on the box.

Straight from VGAs website.

Can VGA determine the value of my items?

No. We are only issuing an opinion on the condition of your items.

They (whoever they are absoultly no credentials of who they are) are giving you an OPINION of what the condition is. KEY WORD OPINION

[quote name='cochesecochese']Sure.

Basically VGA stepped in from nowhere and started claiming they were the single authority on video game grading. This wouldn't be too much of an issue except for the fact that the VGA does not publicly list any guidelines on how or why it grades a game a certain way.

Secondly, VGA has been caught on several occasions re-sealing games and marking them as factory sealed. In addition to this, VGA has bought several other peoples' games, applied a 'grade' and acrylic case, and then resold the game at a 30 percent or higher markup. There are a myriad of other rumours and accusations regarding their business practices. However, due to the questionable sources of these rumours I'll let you dig them up on your own rather than spread them without firm evidence.

Personally I am rather resentful of the VGA mucking up what was once a fun hobby filled with lots of folks willing to help people out. There have always been price gougers and idiots willing to pay their prices, but VGA cranked it up to an entirely different level.

[/QUOTE]

They didn't come out of nowhere as they been grading action figures for a long time. the problem is the people who are willing to pay crazy amount for grade 90 +

I bought one of these, open but complete, at a flea market for 50$ ... was pissed because I went back for a sealed Donkey Kong Country 3 that she had for 25$ I saw the week before (First time going to a flea market so I didn't think it was worth much) but she had sold the DKC3 an hour before I got there.

[quote name='62t']They didn't come out of nowhere as they been grading action figures for a long time. the problem is the people who are willing to pay crazy amount for grade 90 +[/QUOTE]

Still, just because you grade action figures doesn't mean you're automatically some expert on video games, especially on the authenticity of sealed games.

But I do agree with the problem...

Missing a zero there ;)[/QUOTE]

I am just saying, but I feel like we are talking about gamestop.

I would imagine that if any of those allegations about them selling/resealing games were true, people in the "sealed game collector community" would've heard about it.

Regarding the people buying high graded games, it's their money.

[quote name='lmz00']I would imagine that if any of those allegations about them selling/resealing games were true, people in the "sealed game collector community" would've heard about it.

Regarding the people buying high graded games, it's their money.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them did it, as well as someone with the equipment was doing it as well. Once its entombed no one is really going to crack it open and then check.

For comics, there was staff from CGC that were low grading comics, keeping track of them and then buying and grading higher / or restoring it and grading it higher and not noting that change. This was easier to catch as there is a smaller # of key graded comics and the owners of some or known in the community. IE (Steve Smiths issue of 9.9 Hulk 181)

Anyone know what the multi out Top loader Nintendo's go for?

Missing a zero there ;)[/QUOTE]

It is the same way with the Card and Comic industries.

Unfortunately they got in and made the niche.

I think I know more about GI JOE toys than the guy who runs Habro's fan club, but unfortunately he got it before I did.

Hell no. I'd never buy anything from (or sell anything to) that guy. Plus, I wouldn't buy anything that was already graded, unless it was a steal. I prefer to buy ungraded, and send the stuff in myself.

Speaking of scams, there's this dude on eBay that used to go by "rpgarcana," who changed his name to "video_game_quality" and created a website (vgquality.com), which is pretty much a VGA rip-off to sell his resealed garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back