Netflix changes. Prices to increase, add streaming only plan

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Starting right away for new subscribers and in Jan 2011 for existing members, Netflix is raising the price of it's one out, streaming plan to $9.99. They will also offer a Steam only plan for $7.99. 2 and 3 disc out plans will also see a price increase. Maybe time to switch back to blockbuster since they are $8.99 and offer video games as an option.

Just checked $14.99 FOR 2 out, $19.99 for 3 out and $27.99 for 4 out. Not sure what prior price was

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']Suggest another service where I can get the number of movies and television shows that I can get via streaming for under $10 a month.

I'm waiting...
[/QUOTE]

BitTorrent. Usenet.

$0 beats $10 any day friend.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']As more Blu-Ray movies get released, they're carrying more product.[/QUOTE]

Haha bullshit, Netflix's Blu-ray selection is downright awful these days. Seems like they never get new releases anymore, and half their material they have available on DVD (when a Blu-ray has ALSO been released), they don't have a Blu-ray version!

Blockbuster is a better value than this crap.

[quote name='Xizer']BitTorrent. Usenet.

$0 beats $10 any day friend.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and running out of Best Buy carrying a TV > Standing in line and paying for it. Is that really your argument?

[quote name='Xizer']Haha bullshit, Netflix's Blu-ray selection is downright awful these days. Seems like they never get new releases anymore, and half their material they have available on DVD (when a Blu-ray has ALSO been released), they don't have a Blu-ray version!

Blockbuster is a better value than this crap.[/QUOTE]

Well, it depends what movies you're talking about. You realize several movie studios have restricted both Netflix and Red Box from renting their movies within the first 30 days that they're available for purchase, right? Otherwise, I've had no problems getting new(ish) blus lately. My last 3 blus have been Predators, Jonah Hex, and Get Him to the Greek. I didn't get any of them the day they came out, but I didn't need to either.

As for your praise for Blockbuster, go to a BBV thread. You'll find plenty of people bitching about the exact same thing you are. Grass is always greener.

I don't mind the extra charge, the service is great. I only use it for 1 DVD out at a time though so now much of an increase.

[quote name='RandyTsai']i know its only a few dollars, but has anyone tried canceling their netflixs in hope of getting their current price through retention offers. My next billing cycle is on the 4th. So im probably going to cancel it on the 3rd and see what happens. Hopefully enough people have canceled.[/QUOTE]

I still get enough value with an extra dollar. I rent a lot of new movies and tv show seasons that cost a lot of money to buy.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Wow, a $1, those fuckers are going to pay now! That could have bought me a McDouble or a bag of chips from the Dollar Tree.[/QUOTE]

You know those "magic" growing washcloths with Snoopy printed on them at Dollar Tree? Forget ever having one of those again!

CURSE YOU NETFLIX!

[quote name='eliter1']I think Netflix gets a very good deal with USPS and they pay much less than that. Their labor is mostly done by machines so it's not that bad.
.[/QUOTE]

pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/notices/Not123/Not123.pdf

Actually, since the USPS has a federally mandated monopoly for first class mail, all of their prices are posted and there are no secret deals for big shippers. On the average mailing, netflix likely plays 33.5 cents to mail out (one oz, first class commercial rate assuming 5 digit zipcode automation rate, which is conditional on a minimum of 150 pieces going to that specific zipcode in that shipment) and about 41 cents to get it mailed back (qualified business reply mail). Although there was some debate within the USPS if the DVD mailers that Neflix uses should be tagged with the a 20 cent "non-machinable" surcharge since they are less flexible than regular letters and tend to jam up the the sorting machines a bit more, although this apparently hasn't been applied to netflix as of yet. The bigger question is how much the labor and overhead costs of the distribution centers are on a per disk mailed basis....in 2009, those added up to $170 million according to the 2009 annual report, although that also includes the credit card processing fees that netflix is charged on subscriber payments

[quote name='n8rockerasu']At the end of the day, it's all just jockeying between Netflix, BBV, and the movie industry here. It's an ever-changing landscape, and like others have pointed out, due to certain agreements and limitations, there are certain benefits you'll get from one company that you won't find with another. Yes, BBV has an exclusive window with a lot of movies now. But if you think the cost of that agreement isn't going to come back at you in the price of a rental, you're nuts. You're paying more for the "right" to rent the movie "early".
[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. I have the 3-out plan with BBO. I pay $19 a month and can rent video games and blu-ray, DVD and I can rent for free from the store. Sure, I have 5 exchanges at the store but the way they work them it turns out to be as many as 15 free exchanges. Say I take three mailers to the store and exchange them in one visit, that only counts as one exchange. Then to boot, by returning them to the store I have near instant turnaround. If I return the mailers to the store in the morning before noon, they usually ship out my next movie/game by 4 PM that same day.

I think BBV is pretty cheap when comparing it to everything you get and my rates did _not_ go up one penny when they got their exclusive deals.

[quote name='Pookymeister']The price for netflix hasn't reached the point where i think it surpasses it's value.
I can live with a $1 increase.[/QUOTE]

This. I signed up for the 8.99 plan like 2-3 years ago, and the service has drastically improved since then. All of that infrastructure improvement obviously costs more money, not to mention the movie studios changing their policies and likely increasing fees for Netflix. $1 extra is not too much to ask for all that.

LOL at the people who think Netflix is done because of this.

[quote name='avwjase']I have to disagree. I have the 3-out plan with BBO. I pay $19 a month and can rent video games and blu-ray, DVD and I can rent for free from the store. Sure, I have 5 exchanges at the store but the way they work them it turns out to be as many as 15 free exchanges. Say I take three mailers to the store and exchange them in one visit, that only counts as one exchange. Then to boot, by returning them to the store I have near instant turnaround. If I return the mailers to the store in the morning before noon, they usually ship out my next movie/game by 4 PM that same day.

I think BBV is pretty cheap when comparing it to everything you get and my rates did _not_ go up one penny when they got their exclusive deals.[/QUOTE]

When I was a member (when they added games), new releases were hard to get on the week they came out (at least the Blu-Ray versions). In addition, it took me 5 days to get a new title. They would hold delay like Gamefly does or at least it felt that way, even after dropping off at local store. Netflix, on the other hand, always takes 3 days (so 2 days without a movie).

While the addition of games is nice, the fact that all new releases have a 3 month window and also that they don't care all new titles didn't provide much benefit to me.

P.S. It isn't instant turnaround as the mailer won't mail until you return your in-store movies. At that point, then you wait your 5+ days (in my case).

I was going to drop my plan down to 1 disc anyways before they announced the price increase. I don't think the prices are unreasonable but my g/f just wasn't watching her disc very much. The instant library keeps getting better so less discs just makes sense for us right now.

Ive been waiting for a streaming only option. Ive had the same DVD out since July, and with it being a DVD, its not really optimal to watch on a plasma anyway. So Im glad. this saves me a buck and might be the push I need to join Blockbuster by mail as well.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yes, and running out of Best Buy carrying a TV > Standing in line and paying for it. Is that really your argument?
[/QUOTE]

Piracy, legal in the United States or not, is a legitimate force in the market.

[quote name='Nova_01']Ive been waiting for a streaming only option. Ive had the same DVD out since July, and with it being a DVD, its not really optimal to watch on a plasma anyway. So Im glad. this saves me a buck and might be the push I need to join Blockbuster by mail as well.[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious. What the hell are you smoking? A DVD isn't "quality" enough to watch on your plasma but Netflix's shit-tastic, barely 720p stereo streaming that isn't even available on most streaming titles is? A shameful HDTV owner.

I mostly watch tv shows on Netflix that are provided in HD and the quality comes in incredibly nice for me. Only occasionally do I stretch the image of SD show, if Im really interested in watching it. Sending for a DVD where Ill have to stretch a SD picture over a 50' inch screen just isnt worth it to me. I cant watch the native resolution on a plasma without wear issues. But $7.99 to watch 5 seasons of the Office, 3 seasons of Arrested Development, all seasons of Lost and 24, equals an amazing price point. I dont know what youre streaming on, but if your HD is that f*cked, you might have other problems than Ive experienced.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']At the end of the day, it's all just jockeying between Netflix, BBV, and the movie industry here. It's an ever-changing landscape, and like others have pointed out, due to certain agreements and limitations, there are certain benefits you'll get from one company that you won't find with another. Yes, BBV has an exclusive window with a lot of movies now. But if you think the cost of that agreement isn't going to come back at you in the price of a rental, you're nuts. You're paying more for the "right" to rent the movie "early".

On the other hand, Netflix has an outright MONSTROUS list of streaming content that is ever growing. But now, we're starting to see the effect of that luxury. I don't blame Netflix for wanting to move away from disc based rentals. How many idiots do you think use their rentals as coasters for a week, beating the hell out of them before shoving them back in the envelope, ready to do the same thing with the next movie they get. With streaming, that's not a problem. I just don't think an "all movies are streamed" world is even a decade away.

Ultimately, people are going to pay for whatever they feel is worth the cost. For me, Red Box is the only real competition for Netflix, but I'd rather have movies streamed to my home and mailed to me than have to trapse across town and make sure I have the movie back before 9 PM the next night. I also like renting movies that are older than 2 months. Hell, just last night I streamed the original Night of the Living Dead. Why? Because I could. If my $1 more per month means that I"ll have a bigger library of movies to do that with, I'm all for it. As long as the price increase is accomplishing something, I have no problem with it.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

If it was only a dollar it wouldn't bother me so much, but my subscription is going to raise from $20.99 a month to $23.99 a month. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet, but I might just cancel my subscription. (It would be one less bill I gotta pay)

This price increase has given me enough reason to change my subscription from 2 BR out at a time to just instant streaming. I barely watch the movies that come in from the mail as it is.

bread's done
Back