Netflix increasing Bluray Charges - What will you do?

johnnypark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)
Just received this email from Netflix, as I'm sure many others have:

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 2 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $3 a month. The price of your 2 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $13.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $3 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team

I can't decide if I'm going to drop it or not. Thoughts?

EDIT: Courtesy of Dmaul1114 and Gizmodo, here's a chart of the Bluray price increase:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Chart from Gizmondo that has the price per plan after increase:
netflix-blu-ray-price-increase.jpg
[/quote]

As Shrike has pointed out, it appears that it's $1 extra per the number of movies you have on your plan the original $1 base fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CAG4677']Netflix is doing what every company does, screw their customers over. Once a company feels it can raise prices on us and get away with it this is how it happens. First they make you wait almost a month to get certain movies now they jack up the price. Seriously people we use to pay less before for better service.[/QUOTE]

You have the order backwards.

Do y'all realize this thread is a year old? Some of you are acting like this is the first time you've heard of the Bluray fee increase. Damn you, cheapndirty, for bumping this with your shitty ass post.

question for you guys. I just now hopped on netflix through my 360 and noticed that I o longer have access to searching through the instant view titles that they had. All I have now for options is my instant queue and party. Has this happened to anyone else or know of a solution??

I don't understand why any gamer would pay for Netflix if you have a Blockbuster in your area. $21.99 for unlimited 1 out rentals is a great deal if you're going to play 2-4 games and watch 3-6 blu-rays a month. Cuts back on the loss from playing new releases at launch. I guess the streaming is the main selling point.

This doesn't affect me at all because I just stick with DVD rentals through Netflix. If I like the movie enough (and it's available) I'll buy the blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG4677
Netflix is doing what every company does, screw their customers over. Once a company feels it can raise prices on us and get away with it this is how it happens. First they make you wait almost a month to get certain movies now they jack up the price. Seriously people we use to pay less before for better service.

Quote originally posted by:slfc
You have the order backwards.

Do y'all realize this thread is a year old? Some of you are acting like this is the first time you've heard of the Bluray fee increase. Damn you, cheapndirty, for bumping this with your shitty ass post.

Lol, could have not said it any better. Netflix is still a great deal even with the 1yr old price increase.

Netflix Signs Delay Window Agreements with Fox, Universal take that with warner .. if you just want new releases there is no reason to stay with netflix at 18 bucks per month with a 30 day delay is just way too high..

There is already one class action lawsuit and expect a lot more in the coming months

[quote name='joshthegreat69']I understand your plan is different, but let me see if I understand their current program correctly. If I "check in" my movie that I received by mail, will their online queue reflect that I have turned the movie in and send me another one? That would be the equivalent of when I have to drop my Netflix envelope at a Post Office Box, except it would be instant. [/QUOTE]

If you get a movie in the mail, watch it, and then return it to the store to rent something else, that movie takes over as being your movie "out." Even though your mail-in movie is getting scanned in and returned, the movie you rented in store is what you have out. Once you return that, they'll send you your next movie in the mail. It used to be that they'd send you another movie through the mail as soon as you return it to the store, even if you use it to get another movie, so essentially you can have double the movies out.

The person that said they rent regular movies from Netflix and just buys the Blu Ray if the movie is good has it right. Avoid these fees that Netflix is charging and just do that. I know everyone wants to get the best out of their TV, but seriously, you don't need to pay extra money each month to see bad movies in Blu Ray, especially if you're already spending money on buying movies.

If you're someone that doesn't buy movies though, you can justify that extra money for Blu Ray from Netflix considering the amount of money you're saving by not buying.

[quote name='freshzen']I don't understand why any gamer would pay for Netflix if you have a Blockbuster in your area. $21.99 for unlimited 1 out rentals is a great deal if you're going to play 2-4 games and watch 3-6 blu-rays a month. Cuts back on the loss from playing new releases at launch. I guess the streaming is the main selling point.[/QUOTE]

Fair point.

I don't game all that much anymore, and barely keep up with the 5 or so games I buy a year.

Add in my hatred for blockbuster stores from bad past experiences, and I'll stick with Netflix.

I'm much more a movie buff than a gamer, so I'll take the streaming, better selection of documentaries, indie films, foreign films, unrated/nc-17 moves blockbuster won't carry etc.

But yeah, Blockbuster is a good deal for people more into games that movies.

[quote name='metallicoholic']
If you're someone that doesn't buy movies though, you can justify that extra money for Blu Ray from Netflix considering the amount of money you're saving by not buying.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'm more in that boat. I won a bit over 300 movies on DVD and Blu ray, but I've slowed way down in my buying the past 3 years or so and mainly rent as I realized that I seldom ever watch something I own as I'd prefer to watch something for the first time.

I do still rent Blu Rays and end up buying some I loved when they're on sell for $10-15. But at the end of the day, it's $2 a month for Bluray on my plan, and I'd pay that pocket change in any case to watch most of my rentals in HD.

[quote name='typical guy']You guys with Blockbuster better be careful for the rest of the year. You might find that you pay a month's fee and never get to rent anything that month. That's the nightmare scenario with the (possibly) imminent bankruptcy. It was reported last month that BBV may have to declare bankruptcy.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/blockbuster-may-file-for-bankruptcy-2010-03-16[/QUOTE]

A few of the folks I work with have had problems with Blockbuster billing: repeat billings, saying movies have not been returned, customer service not able to help... in one case the person had to cancel the credit card to stop the billings.

bread's done
Back