Netflix or Blockbuster? 2009 update? Blockbuster will be including games now again

msuna

CAGiversary!
Netflix or blockbuster 2009 update?
Can anyone tell me which service to use? They seem to have similar prices except Netflix charges 1 dollar more for blu ray and no in store plan option. Does anyone know if blockbuster charges extra for blu ray rental???? I personally like having the extra in store option but not sure its worth the extra money. Can someone help from experience. Thanks!

Plus anyone know where to get a good promo code for either for longer than a one month trial or reduced cost for say 3 months or 6 months. i know blockbuster used to have better plans with video games etc too probably....

BLOCKBUSTER NOW INCLUDING GAMES IN THEIR MOVIE PROGRAM ONLINE SIMILAR TO GAMEFLY.

Blockbuster announced today that it will begin offering game rentals as part of its Total Access online movie rental service. The company will start a pilot program during its second quarter, with a goal of implementing the integrated system nationally by the second half of the year. Essentially, Blockbuster is trying to morph Total Access into a Netflix meets GameFly offering.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='majorscud']netflix, especially if you have an xbox 360 for the streaming movies.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

The above posts say it all. I am very happy with my $10 a month for streaming video to my 360, and Blu Rays arriving at my door.

I've had Netflix for about 7 years now and I love it. But, if you are really going to take advantage of the in-store feature, Blockbuster would be worth it. I personally would never use that feature, as most of the stuff I rent is kinda obscure and they usually do not have those titles at the Blockbuster retail locations.

I know people who have Blockbuster and their online selection is much more robust than the in-store one (probably not as great as Netflix's though). They are pretty pleased with it.

To me, the instant streaming through the PC and Xbox 360 are awesome features that I use a lot and that far outweighs the in-store trade-ins at Blockbuster.

I guess it all depends on what you really want. =)

Yes BB's online selection is much more limited then Netflix, If your into Anime Netflix has tons. BB when i tryed it has very limited selection mostly DBZ or other popular mainstream stuff. Its also hard to find odd off beat movies on BB, Like Redneck Zombies! (that was messed up) And other firms... Foreign ect... So i would weigh that against the instore exchange.. And the fact that it only takes Netflix 1-2 days in most cases for a exchange in mail.

+1 for netflix. i've had both, and even if you aren't using the instant streaming netflix is better, although I use the instant streaming A LOT.

Streaming outweighs the $1 dollar extra you have to spend to get blu rays since blockbuster does not charge for that?

I really like netflix, fast shipping and a good selection. Plus i can stream through my xbox 360 and i like that.

I just switched to Blockbuster last week. I liked Netflix up until I added the blu-ray access. After they sent me the 10th straight cracked blu-ray disc, I gave up. I've had a couple blockbuster blu-rays come already and none have been cracked.

I'd say go with Netflix if you aren't planning on using the blu-ray access. They really seem to not give a damn about how often they are sending out cracked discs.

[quote name='bobodenkirk']I just switched to Blockbuster last week. I liked Netflix up until I added the blu-ray access. After they sent me the 10th straight cracked blu-ray disc, I gave up. I've had a couple blockbuster blu-rays come already and none have been cracked.

I'd say go with Netflix if you aren't planning on using the blu-ray access. They really seem to not give a damn about how often they are sending out cracked discs.[/QUOTE]

i get blu-ray's all the time and have never had a cracked one. maybe your mailman was stepping on them

[quote name='bobodenkirk']I just switched to Blockbuster last week. I liked Netflix up until I added the blu-ray access. After they sent me the 10th straight cracked blu-ray disc, I gave up. I've had a couple blockbuster blu-rays come already and none have been cracked.

I'd say go with Netflix if you aren't planning on using the blu-ray access. They really seem to not give a damn about how often they are sending out cracked discs.[/quote]

I got about 3 cracked BluRays myself right after starting the service. I was pretty annoyed. Since then everything has been fine though.

Remember any of your discs that were busted? It'd be funny if they were the same.

I prefer Netflix, I have been getting Blurays since this summer and have never had a cracked disc. I have had Netflix for about 6-7 years and have only had2 dvds that were sent that were damaged.

I like Blockbuster since I exchange movies in-store all the time. Online is used for stuff I can't find in store. Many people I know have liked Netflix. I'm planning on upgrading from RR lite so I might go with Netflix due to the streaming on 360 live.

netflix is better, I have had both services and if you plan to stream movies through your xbox this is the one you want. Just a warning though, they don't have many new releases for streaming.

Netflix.

Great selection, great service, streaming for PC/360 etc. is great.

Blockbuster may be worth it if you have one nearby and want to take advantage of being able to swap out discs in store a few times a month.

My only gripe with Netflix is sometimes new release Blu Rays take a while to get. For instance Pineapple Express is still listed as "very long wait" for me. But it doesn't bother me much as I always have 100 or so movies in my queue so I can live without getting new release blu rays for a while.

Whichever way you go with, you may want to consider looking in the referral section on CAG. There are a lot of those kinds of sites that have Netflix/BB as an offer and you can cash $30 in your pocket just for signing up under the person.

Go with Netflix:

1. Xbox Live Streaming
2. Better Selection (alot of Not Rated, Obscure Titles)
3. Quick Turn-a-round if you find the correct Post Office where they scan them in.

Only gripe. Don't have your Que jam packed and don't answer any of their emails asking "when did you mail/receive" or you'll probably get flagged. I forgot the correct term for it, but it hurts your chances of getting anything good (recent) in the future.

[quote name='nbballard']I got about 3 cracked BluRays myself right after starting the service. I was pretty annoyed. Since then everything has been fine though.

Remember any of your discs that were busted? It'd be funny if they were the same.[/quote]

Sunshine
Dark Knight (twice)
Transformers
Shoot 'em Up (twice)
The Matrix (twice)
The Matrix Reloaded
TMNT

I'd say go with Netflix if you aren't planning on using the blu-ray access. They really seem to not give a damn about how often they are sending out cracked discs.[/quote]

10th straight? I call exageration. They would have dropped you after the 4th or 5th one in a row at most. If not shame on Netflix, nothing against you but that is making it cost more for everybody else.

[quote name='albino_hippo']Whichever way you go with, you may want to consider looking in the referral section on CAG. There are a lot of those kinds of sites that have Netflix/BB as an offer and you can cash $30 in your pocket just for signing up under the person.[/quote]

Really, no idea. I will definitely sign up under cag i just can't figure out which service. It seems they are roughly the same. Blockbuster used to be better and seems to be cheaper with the online only package b/c they don't charge $1 extra for blu-rays. They used to give coupons from what i read for free rentals but they apparently stopped that for some dumb reason otherwise id be all over them. The streaming to my xbox definetly would help.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Only gripe. Don't have your Que jam packed and don't answer any of their emails asking "when did you mail/receive" or you'll probably get flagged. I forgot the correct term for it, but it hurts your chances of getting anything good (recent) in the future.[/quote]

People oversimplify and leave out probably 70% of the variables NetFlix uses when trying to figure out why they don't get new releases as much as they think they should. I do both of those things, always have (jam-packed queue since 2000), and I always get new stuff quick.

dont forget the BB exchange program is limited to 3 per month...

I have used both and its hands down netflix even if you dont have an xbox 360, pc streaming is still nice and you can get bluray/netflix players or a cheap roku box that can stream high def netflix as well.

I use Blockbuster but I'm curious about the Netflix streaming. Not too sure how good it would be over my wireless set up. Blockbuster does have in-store exchange plus you get online coupons every month that can be used to rent games.

[quote name='erectiontown']not giving blockbuster business should be incentive enough to go netflix[/QUOTE]

Indeed. That was a big reason I never considered them. I had such bad experiences in the B&M stores years back I really didn't want to give them any business.

[quote name='turls']10th straight? I call exageration. They would have dropped you after the 4th or 5th one in a row at most. If not shame on Netflix, nothing against you but that is making it cost more for everybody else.[/quote]

I know it sounds like an exaggeration but what else can I say, it really happened. I was surprised they didn't suspend my account from having to report so many damaged discs as well. After the 3rd disc I got cracked I googled the problem just to see if there was anyone else out there experiencing the same thing as me and sure enough. There are plenty of people out there that have experienced the same thing, even worse in some cases.

But anyway, I'd still recommend Netflix actually, haha.

that's odd! i have had netflix for 7+ years and maybe have had 3 damaged discs. and it was never a cracked disc, just bad scratches that affected playback. not one blu-ray has been damaged so far. but i also don't typically rent the big blockbusters (usually cuz i bought 'em!), so maybe that has something to do with it.

that is unfortunate...i would be pissed if i continually received jacked up discs!

and about shipping, depending on where you live, netflix is really quick. two days on average from sending to receiving. sometimes three if it's over the weekend.

Been useing them (Netflix) for years now... probably 4-5 years i think Only had 3 discs bad.. and no bad blu-rays... And btw this isnt Gamestop so we dont need to make up False policys ect.. and rules like dont rate the shipment time ect...

Ive had Netflix for a few years now and have never had a problem.

EDIT: My only gripe is that Blu-Ray movies seem to be hit or miss as far as placing availability or not. (Read a post further down and reminded me)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Netflix since 2002 and I've received probably close to 1000 discs with only two or three that didn't work (only one that was cracked), zero bad Blu-Rays and one instance where they sent me a disc I didn't ask for. I get a new disc like clockwork two days after I send one in, but I do have a distribution center in town. I would think that the people who have had cracked Blu-Rays must have had some weird problem at their particular distribution center.

Also, Netflix has continuously upgraded/tweaked their website over the years--they seem to be interested in actually improving.

Also, fuck Blockbuster.

I have BB under the 1 rental out at a time with unlimited exchanges for $10 a month. If they jacked it up to the current BB rental rates, I'd probably flip back over to Netflix with the 3 out at a time program. I do like being able to go to the store and picking up a movie between rentals as that's usually a 2 day process that you're without a movie, but probably isn't as big of a deal if you have more than 1 at a time subscription.

Then I use my mom's Netflix login account information for the free streaming as she never uses it so I'm getting the best of both worlds...

[quote name='dmaul1114']
My only gripe with Netflix is sometimes new release Blu Rays take a while to get. For instance Pineapple Express is still listed as "very long wait" for me. But it doesn't bother me much as I always have 100 or so movies in my queue so I can live without getting new release blu rays for a while.[/quote]

Perhaps I just got lucky, but even though Pineapple Express was listed as "very long wait" for me, I got a copy anyways. I've noticed that it's been a bit wonky lately with a ton of movies switching back and forth from "short wait" to "available now".

I've had a few cracked discs, quite a few recently, but only one has been a Blu-Ray disc (Iron Man).

For Netflix and the damaged discs, the quality seems to vary where you live. When in Nevada and now Alaska, Netflix is fine. When I lived in Maine however, I was always recieving damaged discs. I recieved one of the Soprano discs in two pieces, and it was shipped out that way because there wasn't a mark or fold on the envelope. I quit using it because of the bad service there.

If you have a little money to blow why not try both for a month or two and get a feel for them.

I like Netflix better as they seem to ship faster than BB. I tried BB but sometimes it would be days after they recieved a disc before they would ship the next.

[quote name='Okari']Perhaps I just got lucky, but even though Pineapple Express was listed as "very long wait" for me, I got a copy anyways. I've noticed that it's been a bit wonky lately with a ton of movies switching back and forth from "short wait" to "available now".

I've had a few cracked discs, quite a few recently, but only one has been a Blu-Ray disc (Iron Man).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hadn't had any problems, but lately stuff has been very long wait for me. Maybe they hold off on sending me new releases since I sometimes keep disks a week or two before getting around to watching them. Who knows, but like I said no biggie.

I've had no problems really with bad discs. The first blu ray I got-- Incredible Hulk--wouldn't load, but all others have played fine. DVDs I don't recall getting any that wouldn't play in the 2 years or so I've had the service. A couple that skipped once or twice, but not thing that froze up totally or wouldn't play at all.

[quote name='bobodenkirk'] After they sent me the 10th straight cracked blu-ray disc, I gave up. [/quote]

Are you sure it was 10 straight cracked discs? Maybe it was 9 or 11.

[quote name='msuna']
Plus anyone know where to get a good promo code for either for longer than a one month trial or reduced cost for say 3 months or 6 months.[/quote]

I have a code for 1 year free but since you requested 3-6 months... sorry :lol:

I've had netflix for five years and only got one damaged blu ray and two damaged dvds, I find 10 damaged discs in a row to be very hard to believe, no offense. If you are telling the truth maybe your mailman hates you or something.

Netflix hands down. By far a better variety and amazing selection even on rare DVDs. The only thing BB has going is the ability to return/rent from store. Netflix still wins.

I have been a member of Netflix for almost a year. The only problem I have had is with missing discs. At first this would occur on a regular basis. They were always quick to send another disc, For the last 2 or 3 months I have not had this problem.

bread's done
Back