Netflix or blockbuster

cabal

CAG Veteran
I've had netflix for almost 5 years now. But with Blockbuster.com now offering free instore rentals when you return your movies in-store, it makes it that much more difficult to stay with netflix.
Does anyone have any opions a about blockbuster.com?
Or has anyone tried both?

I signed up for Blockbuster 2 week free trial (about the 3rd time I've done that) and I think Total Access kicks Total Ass.

You can rent HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs through on-line OR in store. This was the reason I signed up again as I got a PS3 for Xmas and wanted to try Blu-Ray

For every DVD brought into the store sealed in the BlockBuster Online mailing envelope, you can get one in store rental for free. So if you have a location near you this will double the number of DVDs that you can watch. In addition, they scan the DVD as received (even though they mail it back) so your next DVD in your on-line queue is sent more quickly (instead of waiting for it to get back to them by mail). Also, the in store rentals are good for either 2 days or 7 days but you really have another week beyond that because Blockbuster doesn't charge late fees. (Although if you wait too long, they will charge you for the DVD as if you were buying it). Also, you get a coupon for a free instore rental or VIDEO GAME.

In summary, if you have a BlockBuster near you, without a doubt go for Blockbuster online!

this is what i mean with blockbuster.com

clerks 2 on hd dvd is still "coming soon"...

they always do this

and that new netflix program is going to be money (good )when it comes out.

I don't get the complaining over BB's instore selection. There are enough flicks I've never seen that I have plenty of interest in to last me awhile.

ive tried both.
been w Block bust for while...the instore returns for a rental is nice. and i just used a montly coupon for a game rental. whenever you go to cancel they try to keep you by offering a deal.
Netflix seemed to b taking longer after i was w them a bit. i liked the selection there but am sticking w Block for now

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah i have no idea what that guy was smoking but netflix sends you retail copies same as any other store. [/QUOTE]

Same here, i've been with NEtflix for just over a month and every DVD/HDDVD i've received is a retail version.

[quote name='alfonsosoriano']I don't get the complaining over BB's instore selection. There are enough flicks I've never seen that I have plenty of interest in to last me awhile.[/quote]

Yeah but how many of those movies are actually ones WORTH seeing?

So for the free in-store Game Rental coupon....How long can you keep those checked out? I havent rented from Blockbuster in ages...

I had netflix for about a year and was extremely impressed with them. I would return a movie on monday, they would receive it tuesday, and I would have my movie by Wednesday. This is how it remained for several months....I loved it! The last 3 months of my membership, the shipping went to hell. It would take 3-5 days to get a movie when the turnaround time used to be 1-2....I dont know why this change happened but i was not pleased with the service after that. Also, the availability on new movies seemed to get worse as time went on.....I left because I had become unsatisfied with the service. I dont understand how the mailing time changed so dramatically and it led to me cancelling the service.

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah i have no idea what that guy was smoking but netflix sends you retail copies same as any other store. I've never had an issue with throttling using netflix but then again i tend to use it for anime which they have a far superior selection of.
.[/QUOTE]

I had been receiving grey dvd copies too instead of retail. Well I only get grey copies on a popular titles.

[quote name='Apostle22']I had netflix for about a year and was extremely impressed with them. I would return a movie on monday, they would receive it tuesday, and I would have my movie by Wednesday. This is how it remained for several months....I loved it! The last 3 months of my membership, the shipping went to hell. It would take 3-5 days to get a movie when the turnaround time used to be 1-2....I dont know why this change happened but i was not pleased with the service after that. Also, the availability on new movies seemed to get worse as time went on.....I left because I had become unsatisfied with the service. I dont understand how the mailing time changed so dramatically and it led to me cancelling the service.[/QUOTE]

This is happening to me now, I had netflix for about 6 months now. I used to get the movies in 1-2 days after they shipped, now I get it 3-5 days. When I send the movies back, it usually take them 2 days to received it, now about 3-5 days. This is happening for a month now, I'm thinking about quiting it and just get blockbuster online.

[quote name='Wurz7']So for the free in-store Game Rental coupon....How long can you keep those checked out? I havent rented from Blockbuster in ages...[/QUOTE]

12 days before they charge you for purchasing the game (5 day rental + 7 day "no late fees" grace period).

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah but how many of those movies are actually ones WORTH seeing?[/QUOTE]

That depends on the person renting. Myself, I don't understand the complaints people make about movie selection. Use Blockbuster Online to get older or obscure titles; use instore to get New Releases that have a wait time online.

[quote name='Legolas813']12 days before they charge you for purchasing the game (5 day rental + 7 day "no late fees" grace period).
online.[/QUOTE]

Don't they only charge you for purchasing the game 30 days after that? I believe you can have the game out for up to 40 or so days and only be charged the $1.25 restocking fee. I have a game out right now, I'll have to check the reciept when I get home to see if I'm right. Pretty good deal though if I am right.

[quote name='guyver2077']this is what i mean with blockbuster.com

clerks 2 on hd dvd is still "coming soon"...

they always do this

and that new netflix program is going to be money (good )when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

There have been a number of problems with HD-DVD's from TWC, including Clerks 2. I'm not sure if it's on the production end of the discs or the hardware end but maybe for once BBI is using their head and not stocking potentially flawed titles for now?

Netflix:
I reported Lucky Number Slevin (DVD) as damaged so they could send me a working version... they sent me the HD-DVD version. If only my HD-DVD player was hooked up, I guess I got to send it back to get a correct version. And yes my account is not set up to receive HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

Its good to know I can get HD-DVDs through Netflix, especially the more recent releases. :p

From someone claiming to have recieved a grey disc can you take a picture of it and post it? Some dvd's have no artwork and just have label on inside track of dvd you know.

[quote name='cabal']I've had netflix for almost 5 years now. But with Blockbuster.com now offering free instore rentals when you return your movies in-store, it makes it that much more difficult to stay with netflix.
Does anyone have any opions a about blockbuster.com?
Or has anyone tried both?[/QUOTE]

netflix is better they have hddvd 's and blu-ray's and coming soon download rentals for free

it's like this-

4th place is hollywood video
3rd place is blockbuster video
2 place is xbox live Marketplace

and the 1# movie rental place is netlix

i just noticed that the streaming movies service is live!!!!

just tested it with jaws!
watching jackass 1 now..

selection is still limited.

they have street fighter alpha!

[quote name='starmask2k3']netflix is better they have hddvd 's and blu-ray's and coming soon download rentals for free

it's like this-

4th place is hollywood video
3rd place is blockbuster video
2 place is xbox live Marketplace

and the 1# movie rental place is netlix[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster.com ALSO has HD-DVD & Blu-Ray & FREE Game Rental In-Store. I enjoy blockbuster.com, but they BETTER start getting more HD/BD in-stock soon.

[quote name='guyver2077']damn no one else has commented on the netflix watch now service going live?

guess alot of ppl dont care[/quote]

The reason is it's not active on all accounts. Still waiting for it to be activated on mine. They are phasing it in over the next 4.5 months, by then all accounts will have it.

[quote name='Brian9824']The reason is it's not active on all accounts. Still waiting for it to be activated on mine. They are phasing it in over the next 4.5 months, by then all accounts will have it.[/QUOTE]

^ my thoughts exactly. I don't have it on my account but my girlfriends account has it.

Due to my Blockbuster Online distribution center changing (and the introduction of Total Access), I have been getting DVDs MUCH faster now (it went from 5-7 day turnaround, to now only 2 days). I'm really happy with the service.

bread's done
Back