Network organization advice

onacouch

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I'm pretty much the IT guy in my house and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I currently have 2 laptops, 2 DSs, a Wii, an Xbox + wireless adapter, and a PSP connected wirelessly and my dad's computer hard wired into the router. I have set all devices to static IPs that was I can forward certain ports on certain devices so I can play games properly. I was wondering what some of you guys do to keep track of each device's name, it's mac address, and it's local IP address. I've been writing them all down on a piece of paper, but I usually just end up losing it or can't read what I've written.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='onacouch']Hey guys, I'm pretty much the IT guy in my house and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I currently have 2 laptops, 2 DSs, a Wii, an Xbox + wireless adapter, and a PSP connected wirelessly and my dad's computer hard wired into the router. I have set all devices to static IPs that was I can forward certain ports on certain devices so I can play games properly. I was wondering what some of you guys do to keep track of each device's name, it's mac address, and it's local IP address. I've been writing them all down on a piece of paper, but I usually just end up losing it or can't read what I've written.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a job for the mighty spreadsheet!

I don't know why I'm avoiding spread sheets. It might have something to do with the fact that I don't have excel installed on my laptop and that I haven't used a spread sheet since maybe 6th grade. I'm pretty sure I have a windows DVD with excel on it, though. I guess I'll install it and give it a whirl, it sounds better than just a text file, and if I need to reset my router I'll have all of the important information right on my screen.

Thanks a bunch, guys.

[quote name='captainfrizo']If you need a spreadsheet program go download Open Office. It's much like Microsoft Office, only free.[/QUOTE]
Google Docs & Spreadsheets will do it too, all you need is your browser.

bread's done
Back