Networking Assistance for my 360

mick16

CAGiversary!
I'm in the process of building a dedicated room for gaming/movies and I need some help figuring what I need to buy in order to be able to get my Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS2 to go online from this room.

Here's the situation - The cable modem is located in this room, but it is hooked up to a wireless router which is located in another room in the house via a 50 foot ethernet cable (this router is hooked up to my ReplayTV and Slingbox via wired ports, so I need to leave it there). I'd prefer not to run an ethernet cable back from the router as well as its a pain running the ethernet cable through the wall.

Can I put a switch between the modem and router without it screwing up my current settings on my router and still get online in both locations? I also thought about hooking up a wireless gaming adapter in this room, but my wireless signal strength intermittently drops in the room, plus a switch is a lot cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Bump this for a answer, which i cant help ya on. Im interested whats the easiest and or cheapest way to get it done too. Sucks the wireless router is in the other room, if you were to have it in same room would make it easier on you.

I would have said sticking a hub between your modem and your router shouldn't cause issues, but I just tried doing that to my setup and it didn't work. Granted, I've got a bizarre setup, but it still may not be as easy as you'd hope. None the less, I don't know why it wouldn't work in some way, but you may not be able to keep your router's settings, probably depending on how automatically it was set up in the first place.

I was hoping for a wired connection, but if that's not going to work, I guess I'll can check out a wireless solution. I saw a Netgear WGE111 wireless adapter for $50 after rebate which I may check out.

The 360 adapter won't work on original Xbox or a PS2 will it?

[quote name='mick16']I was hoping for a wired connection, but if that's not going to work, I guess I'll can check out a wireless solution. I saw a Netgear WGE111 wireless adapter for $50 after rebate which I may check out.

The 360 adapter won't work on original Xbox or a PS2 will it?[/quote]
360 adapter is a USB 2.0 device. Won't work on either the original Xbox or a PS2.

If you put the switch between the modem and the router, the modem won't talk to the router. You'd need a wireless bridge, and then add in a switch to the port on the wireless bridge. A "gaming adapter" is a semi-lobotmized wireless bridge, designed for only one device. You might get more than one wireless device to work off of it, though it's not supported.

Recommendation would be to find a wireless bridge from the same vendor as your wireless router, and a switch, if the wireless bridge only has one wired port on it.

Linksys Wireless-G Bridge:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...497433&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Netgear Wireless-G Bridge:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGPS606.php

Thanks for the info regarding the switch. Is it just easier to set up if you have the same brands or can I get a different brand wireless bridge and make it work with a different brand router?

I've got a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless router so I could try to find a used Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter MN-740 and see if that would work.

[quote name='mick16']

I've got a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless router so I could try to find a used Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter MN-740 and see if that would work.[/QUOTE]

Those are good , I have 2 . But , the D-link 108AG are the same price usually and compatible with wireless B,G,& A . Why buy something old when you can have the newer ?

[quote name='Richlough']Those are good , I have 2 . But , the D-link 108AG are the same price usually and compatible with wireless B,G,& A . Why buy something old when you can have the newer ?[/QUOTE]

This is only compatible with select D-LINK routers. It would probably not work with his Microsoft router.

OP if you can find one, the microsoft xbox wireless g adapter is under $20 used at Ebgames.

[quote name='ofacto']This is only compatible with select D-LINK routers. It would probably not work with his Microsoft router.

OP if you can find one, the microsoft xbox wireless g adapter is under $20 used at Ebgames.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know Wi-Fi stuff is not brand specific it's a standard .
It's not like a cordless phone or something .

[quote name='mick16']Thanks for the info regarding the switch. Is it just easier to set up if you have the same brands or can I get a different brand wireless bridge and make it work with a different brand router?

I've got a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless router so I could try to find a used Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter MN-740 and see if that would work.[/quote]
It's easiest to use the same brand of equipment across the board, since the same vendor tends to use the same private IP range for their equipment. Plus, they also tend to use the same brand of wireless chipset, which can make things easier.

You probably could use that MS router, if you turned the routing functions off, so it just worked as an access point. Not all routers can do that (most can't), so a stand-alone access point, bridged to the router, would be the next option. Or one of the wirless bridges above.

I think the best way to do this is to check with the vendor of your wireless router, see if you can buy an access point (if they don't make a stand-alone bridge) and bridge it into your existing network, or get a bridge above. You'd need a network switch to go with it, since you have 3 devices.

[quote name='Richlough']Those are good , I have 2 . But , the D-link 108AG are the same price usually and compatible with wireless B,G,& A . Why buy something old when you can have the newer ?[/quote]
That is a wireless game adapter, which as I stated in my previous post, which supports only one device, and the OP says he has three consoles. A full-blown bridge will support more than one device.

[quote name='ofacto']This is only compatible with select D-LINK routers. It would probably not work with his Microsoft router.

OP if you can find one, the microsoft xbox wireless g adapter is under $20 used at Ebgames.[/quote]
As above, the MM-740 adapter is a wireless game adapter, and will support only one device.

[quote name='Richlough']As far as I know Wi-Fi stuff is not brand specific it's a standard .
It's not like a cordless phone or something .[/quote] See my first quoted reply on this one. Using one brand makes things easier, it's not a requirement.

Wireless Gaming Adapter = Marketing name for wireless bridge

I have an Microsoft MN-700 wireless router and my
2 MN 740 XBOX wireless adapters [that i used on my PS2 w/no problems on FF11 & on my Gamecube PSO , just plug it in before you power up]
HP laptop [with broadcom wireless]
Built desktop with an MN-730
and a PSP running perfectly.
Oh , and occaisionally my in-laws newer HP laptop.

Can I use multiple routers/access pionts in my set up ?

I have an extra MN-700 from Target clearance I would like to use to strengthen my signal .

bread's done
Back