Nevada vs Kansas

Nevada has gambling, hookers/brothels, and legal open carry and concealed carry of firearms... hmm... this is a tough one. The fact it's a giant sandbox also adds to its old west style.

Funny, I live in Vegas and I've never really considered it Western/Old West. In fact, mention those words and I think of Texas.

Although, I suppose if you compare Nevada to say, California, then it might be considered more Western/Old West. Alot less laws and taxes in Nevada than in California. Also, 24 hour alcohol in major Nevada cities, so none of that stupid "last call" bullshit and legal prostitution on the outskirts of major cities. And we have alot more open, unpopulated spaces than California. Not sure if Texas is similar to Nevada in this respect, as I've never lived in Texas.

I guess you'd need to define which characteristics you're talking about. I have a bunch of family in Kansas and it's mostly just boring. Not a lot of shootouts that I've seen.

At the same time, having spent a good deal of time in Las Vegas when my father lived there, it's not really what I would call "old west" now anyway. But as for the rest of Nevada, well, that's more open to debate.

[quote name='Xevious']Kansas was an area where the anti-slavery/pro-slavery forces clashed. This was the setup for very violent wild west clashes. If you want to read up more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas[/QUOTE]

Not trying to flame, honestly, but most people with a high school education are probably aware of this. I'm pretty sure the OP was asking which one was more "western" (whatever that means) now. Thanks for trying to educate though.

[quote name='Magehart']Nevada has gambling, hookers/brothels, and legal open carry and concealed carry of firearms... hmm... this is a tough one. The fact it's a giant sandbox also adds to its old west style.[/QUOTE]

Nevada is one of the only states that my Concealed Cary permit won't work in.

Most of Nevada is an uninhabited wasteland. I never really even considered Kansas as a Western state.

[quote name='bvharris']Not trying to flame, honestly, but most people with a high school education are probably aware of this. I'm pretty sure the OP was asking which one was more "western" (whatever that means) now. Thanks for trying to educate though.[/QUOTE]

I was making a case for Kansas. And I don't believe all high schools are the same; Some may fail to teach some of the nitty gritty details of the antebellum period of our American History.

bread's done
Back