NEVER buy a Philips TV

uncbaseballfreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok here's the story, I bought a Philips refurbished 30 inch tv in July of 2007. The unit stopped working in December 07. Despite the warranty listed in my user's manuel, I soon was informed that because my television was refurbished (something I knew when I bought it) that it would not be covered. After 9 phone calls, each of which lasted from around 35-75 minutes, I was left $300 dollars poorer without an HDTV.
My TV lasted 5 months and I spent 3 more months getting thrown around the ringer by Philips customer service. I will NEVER purchase another Philips product as long as I live. If you want a product that lasts longer than 6 months or a company that will stand behind its product look elsewhere.

Unbelievable.

That's why I buy new everything. I just can't take that risk. Especially on high end things like TV's and computers.

I bought a new Philips LCD TV over a year ago, and haven't had a single problem. For big ticket items like televisions, I wouldn't take the risk on a refurb.

Something refurbished like this should be theoretically more reliable than something new because it had to be individually serviced and tested before being sold. Something new that comes off the assembly line usually just gets the once over and goes out the door.

Refurbished items typically come with a 30-day warranty or something though assuming something would go wrong within that time period... Depending on the savings and the item it might be worth it to buy refurbished. I've had great luck with several refurbished Dell LCD monitors...

I bought a squaretrade warranty with my phillips refurb. No problems as of yet *crosses fingers*

Edit: Maybe you can sell it "as is" on Ebay or craigslist to recoup some of your money. I see people selling broken items all the time for use as extra parts or fixer-upper.

I bought a Refurbish Philips 35 inch HDTV from PhillipsOutlet.com and I LOVE it, I have had it for over 2-3 years and zero problems and only paid 349 shipped

Phillips is great, Refurbish is a chance you took, how can you blaim them?

I have a friend that bought a Philips refurb that's still going strong over 2 years since purchase. That's why I got it. It was great while it lasted, I am just appalled at the customer service run around I got. I was asked the same questions over and over again, they couldn't find information in their computers 2 days after they confirmed the info. I was told to fax the same thing to them 3 times.

I just can't believe that a television that lasted 5 months is living up to the "quality standards" of Philips. That's straight from the "renewed information" on the website I got it from.

[quote name='javeryh']Something refurbished like this should be theoretically more reliable than something new because it had to be individually serviced and tested before being sold. Something new that comes off the assembly line usually just gets the once over and goes out the door. [/QUOTE]

Haven't had to send in your 360 lately, eh?

OP, TV's can break at any given time. You were the one who bought a Refurb and you knew there was no warrenty. You took a chance and it didn't pan out for you. I wouldn't knock a great company just because you wanted to save a couple of bucks and ended up losing in the long run.

[quote name='tiredfornow']How could you knock a whole company when you were the one buying the refurbed product?[/QUOTE]

/endthread

[quote name='daphatty']Haven't had to send in your 360 lately, eh?[/quote]

I was thinking of my poor 360s that I had to send back as I wrote that sentence - the Microsoft situation has to be the exception to the rule, I think. :D

same, my friend even thinks it looks better than his LCD
My Original Order date: April 23, 2005

[quote name='pacifickarma']My Philips refurb is almost 3 years old and going strong![/QUOTE]

Well I guess the consensus is never buy refurbed or just hope you never deal with customer service.

I just know that I've had a fair share of experience buying used, refurbished, and new and through all my times dealing with customer service or with longevity of products, I was never treated as poorly as through Philips.

For me, I doubt I'll ever purchase anything Philips ever again.

bread's done
Back