Never owned a PS3, want one

JMusic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I know there is a PS3 "slim", but I honestly don't know how to tell them apart. I'm sure if I saw the models side-by-side it would be obvious, but in little pictures on websites... not so easy.

Is this a slim?

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1331239966&sr=1-3

Is this?

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-S...3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1331239993&sr=1-13

Is there some identifying mark that I can spot in pictures?

Thanks for the help. I plan on getting one soon and it will probably not be a hands-on purchase.

Everything is the "slim" now, it's all they've shipped since 2009 or so.

Here's the difference between the original model and the slim.

2ppjz87.jpg

[quote name='ZForce915']What brings you to the PS3? Is this a compliment to another gaming console?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully a Wii, those would be the only two you'd need. PS3 is great and I doubt you'll find anything but a slim.

[quote name='DP3']Hopefully a Wii, those would be the only two you'd need. PS3 is great and I doubt you'll find anything but a slim.[/QUOTE]

:bow:

I do have a Wii. It's great for watching Netflix in the bedroom. I can't remember the last time I played a game on it. :)

I have had an Xbox 360 for years and just recently picked up a slim model and gave my original one to my son. Before the Xbox 360, though, I had a PS2 and a before that a PS1.

I figure it's time for me to finally get a PS3, because now I want a Vita and I have heard enough to know that owning a Vita without owning a PS3 is shooting yourself in the foot.

[quote name='JMusic']I do have a Wii. It's great for watching Netflix in the bedroom. I can't remember the last time I played a game on it. :)

I have had an Xbox 360 for years and just recently picked up a slim model and gave my original one to my son. Before the Xbox 360, though, I had a PS2 and a before that a PS1.

I figure it's time for me to finally get a PS3, because now I want a Vita and I have heard enough to know that owning a Vita without owning a PS3 is shooting yourself in the foot.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like fun, now you'll have all the systems and have access to all the great games. When you buy a PS3 you need to buy Uncharted 2. Best game I've ever played.

Honestly you'd have access to all the best with the PS3 and Wii alone. I mean what's left on 360? I can't think of anything, a couple cookie-cutter shooters?

Wow...this turned into an implied ps3 vs xbox thread pretty darn quickly...

Whats wrong with owning them all and playing games with them all? I own a PS3, PSP, and a Xbox 360 and enjoy games on all of them. I do the majority of my gaming on the xbox because most of my friends play on xbox live...but the PSN is good as well.

Just for me, I would say that maybe 90% of my friends that I have own a console. Of those people, probably 75% of them only have an Xbox 360 and only play on live...so that is what I play on because I like to play with my friends. Both consoles are great however. I love my Xbox slim just like I love my PS3. I use my PS3 more for an entertainment system (play a few games, watch lots of blurays) were I use my Xbox 360 only for gaming. I thoroughly enjoy them both though. :D

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Wow...this turned into an implied ps3 vs xbox thread pretty darn quickly...

Whats wrong with owning them all and playing games with them all? I own a PS3, PSP, and a Xbox 360 and enjoy games on all of them. I do the majority of my gaming on the xbox because most of my friends play on xbox live...but the PSN is good as well.

Just for me, I would say that maybe 90% of my friends that I have own a console. Of those people, probably 75% of them only have an Xbox 360 and only play on live...so that is what I play on because I like to play with my friends. Both consoles are great however. I love my Xbox slim just like I love my PS3. I use my PS3 more for an entertainment system (play a few games, watch lots of blurays) were I use my Xbox 360 only for gaming. I thoroughly enjoy them both though. :D[/QUOTE]

Value to me. If I can play everything decent on fewer consoles then why buy extra? I collect games and require variety, the hardware is a lesser concern. The amount of ports are why I kinda gave up on PC too (although DRM and malware ruined that platform). With that said I always recommend Wii or PS3, so the people I know who game have PS3's and I might know just 2 or 3 people with 360's. I wouldn't switch if that were different though, online gaming should be free. I mean Wii, PS2, PS3, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita, and PC all do it the right way. Smarter to buy 2 games for any of those platforms for the same cost as one 360 game online. PS+ is just as bad, don't think I'm a hypocrite. There's always reliability to think about as well.

Oh I won't do anything else with my PS3. Haven't watched a movie since '99 and have a PC for any other non-gaming features. Honestly one of the few things that bugs me about Sony is their insistence on those unwanted features. That's what doomed the PSP. Hopefully they learned to keep a focus on games with their Vita.

[quote name='DP3']Honestly you'd have access to all the best with the PS3 and Wii alone. I mean what's left on 360? I can't think of anything, a couple cookie-cutter shooters?[/QUOTE]

Jesus. Don't be a troll. Frankly I think the PS3 is a piece of trash through and through but until you turned this into a console battle I didn't bother to bring that up.

[quote name='ZForce915']Jesus. Don't be a troll. Frankly I think the PS3 is a piece of trash through and through but until you turned this into a console battle I didn't bother to bring that up.[/QUOTE]

He's not a troll just because you disagree with him. You just said Uncharted was the best game you ever played and then called the PS3 "trash" just to argue with him.

[quote name='ZForce915']Jesus. Don't be a troll. Frankly I think the PS3 is a piece of trash through and through but until you turned this into a console battle I didn't bother to bring that up.[/QUOTE]

There's a battle? I wasn't aware. Lol. I own 32+ consoles and hundreds of games. 360 is about as useful as an N-gage or CDi.

Trolling? I think it's the other way around. Sony isn't perfect by a longshot but too many new gamers have been hyping the 360 despite it having an unending stream of problems. Last I checked Live is STILL getting hacked with FIFA. It just became popular to bash Sony for being expensive and Nin for offering games for all ages. That's when I started correcting the bashers and it's funny when their best comeback is to call me a troll.

But anyway, the OP should have the answer by now and will shortly see what we've known for a long time. There is more to gaming than FPS's and $50 online fees. Oh and kids with big mouths who like teabagging each other. [quote name='Survivalism']He's not a troll just because you disagree with him. You just said Uncharted was the best game you ever played and then called the PS3 "trash" just to argue with him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that confused me as well.

Basically, it boils down to this.... If you want to play Halo, pay twice for Netflix, and/or are looking for a chat line...Xbox.

If you want a Full Entertainment System... THEE PS3.

Oh, and Xbox has motion control without the need to hold a controller. When PS3 gets that, it's a wrap.

Get one..

Your missing out on good SCEA Exclusives if you dont..

Xbox is for platform and the few good MS Exclusives and Online Competitive gaming..

PS3 is for Sony Exclusives and offline gaming and for media.

Your missing alot if you dont own both.. But just make sure you keep purchasing your Multiplatform games on Xbox otherwise your paying the same price for a shitty port on the PS3.

Good Luck!

Don't listen to the retardedness that is the console battle. Get what you want, and only what YOU want.

I like my PS3. Gets some useage from the little arcade games, and blu-rays.

They go on and on about exclusives, but the sad reality is that GOW3 outsold all PS3 exclusives COMBINED.

Also, this gen isn't about exclusives as most games are available both consoles. There's no denying that for games on both consoles the Xbox version usually looks better.

I've always said just get them all. The. Once you have them all get them again for your man cave...once you have approval from your wife ha! Each one system has it's pros/cons but at the end of the day they are all good systems. Only console I don't have is a PSV. Good luck and enjoy your consoles.

No, the reality is the 360 has so few games that owners have little choice but to buy the occasional game in large amounts. The PS3 has a huge variety of exclusives that 360 couldn't hope to match. Variety is key. Yes most third party games are multiplats which is why I can get away with just a Wii and PS3. Games run better and cost less on PS3. Graphics comparisons are too nitpicky and only show TV's that are improperly set.

There's no denying the 360 really isn't worth the cost. I have nearly every system from Sega, Sony, and Nintendo. Plus numerous others from before their time, a PC, and 2 arcade machines. However there's never been a compelling reason to own an XB or 360 due to lack of reliability and variety in the library. You can't play the troll card because I own too many consoles and have too much experience, this is simply the truth. I for one need more than FPS's. Once you try the PS3 you'll see what I mean.

You may be better off with a slim. It runs quieter and cooler. If you know how to open and properly maintain an original model then give that a shot to save extra money for all the new games.

The reason to own an Xbox 360 is for the satisfaction knowing that your friends also own one.

Amirite, Xbots? Gotta take advantage of those yearly payments to play online somehow.

[quote name='DP3']No, the reality is the 360 has so few games that owners have little choice but to buy the occasional game in large amounts. The PS3 has a huge variety of exclusives that 360 couldn't hope to match. Variety is key. Yes most third party games are multiplats which is why I can get away with just a Wii and PS3. Games run better and cost less on PS3. Graphics comparisons are too nitpicky and only show TV's that are improperly set.

There's no denying the 360 really isn't worth the cost. I have nearly every system from Sega, Sony, and Nintendo. Plus numerous others from before their time, a PC, and 2 arcade machines. However there's never been a compelling reason to own an XB or 360 due to lack of reliability and variety in the library. You can't play the troll card because I own too many consoles and have too much experience, this is simply the truth. I for one need more than FPS's. Once you try the PS3 you'll see what I mean.

You may be better off with a slim. It runs quieter and cooler. If you know how to open and properly maintain an original model then give that a shot to save extra money for all the new games.[/QUOTE]

I played the troll card and I'll play it again. You're a fanboy and it's really super sad.

This was a thread about a guy wanting a PS3 and you were the first person to bring up and start ragging on the xbox.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Wow...this turned into an implied ps3 vs xbox thread pretty darn quickly...

Just for me, I would say that maybe 90% of my friends that I have own a console. Of those people, probably 75% of them only have an Xbox 360 and only play on live...so that is what I play on because I like to play with my friends. Both consoles are great however. I love my Xbox slim just like I love my PS3. I use my PS3 more for an entertainment system (play a few games, watch lots of blurays) were I use my Xbox 360 only for gaming. I thoroughly enjoy them both though. :D[/QUOTE]
I have all 3 as well and each is amazing in it's own way. All I need now is the wii and the vita.......;)

[quote name='ZForce915']I played the troll card and I'll play it again. You're a fanboy and it's really super sad.

This was a thread about a guy wanting a PS3 and you were the first person to bring up and start ragging on the xbox.[/QUOTE]

Nicely said sir!:applause:

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']They go on and on about exclusives, but the sad reality is that GOW3 outsold all PS3 exclusives COMBINED.

Also, this gen isn't about exclusives as most games are available both consoles. There's no denying that for games on both consoles the Xbox version usually looks better.[/QUOTE]

I have the ps3 and X360. I play both equally. gears 3 was amazing but there is something BOUT MGS4, HEAVY RAIN, the Uncharted games, God of war and LBP that makes me appreciate the games on ps3 more. for 3rd party titles I go for the 360 version but ps3 has the best exclusives. Just my honest opinion

[quote name='ZForce915']I played the troll card and I'll play it again. You're a fanboy and it's really super sad.

This was a thread about a guy wanting a PS3 and you were the first person to bring up and start ragging on the xbox.[/QUOTE]

I own too many consoles to be a fan of one so your card fails. Atari, Nin, Sony, Sega, PC, most of the portables, Commodore, Coleco, etc. It's not ragging on the 360 if it's all true. The people saying it has positive features are the ones who are lying so I commented on that. Naturally the trolls who don't know better gotta come and blame the messenger.

Whatever though, when they get a PS3 they'll see what I'm talking about. All the people I know locally did. It's too easy to find all the whiners online, like it means something to defend their single platform of choice...

bread's done
Back