Never take away a 5 year old's jelly beans...

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.

Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.

"I don't want to go to jail," she said moments after her arrest Monday.

No charges were filed and the girl went home with her mother.

While police say their actions were proper, school officials were not pleased with the outcome.

"We never want to have 5-year-old children arrested," said Michael Bessette, the district's Area III superintendent.

The district's campus police should have been called to help and not local police, he said.

Bessette said campus police routinely deal with children and are trained to calm them in such situations.

Under the district's code of student conduct, students are to be suspended for 10 days and recommended for expulsion for unprovoked attacks, even if they don't result in serious injury. But district spokesman Ron Stone said that rule wouldn't apply to kindergartners.

"She's been appropriately disciplined under the circumstances," he said.

The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.

"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."

I hate spoiled little bastards like these. Probably because they get lots more stuff than me but I just cant stand annoying people to get what i want.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."[/quote]

A giant conspiracy to bring down a kindergartener?

Sometimes I feel like slapping people through the internet...

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']

"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."
[/quote]

Thats just makes its own jokes...

**edit**
Damn you...

My cousin is bipolar, has outbursts like that, though not quite as violent (though pushing and hitting is there sometimes). If he ever really wanted to hurt someone there'd be a problem, the kid is 12 and weighs more than me. I've spent a lot of time with him though and he's never acted up on me, for some reason I'm the only one he has never lashed out at. Though he's even too much for the schools that are equipped to deal with those students, he's had to leave 3 or 4 schools already, ones designed for students with behavioral and learning problems (he has both, he also can't read). The girl could be bipolar, or have a similar problem. Either way, they should never arrest a girl in kindergarten. Get her to a doctor or psychiatrist, there may be problems beyond the girls control.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']My cousin is bipolar, has outbursts like that, though not quite as violent (though pushing and hitting is there sometimes). If he ever really wanted to hurt someone there'd be a problem, the kid is 12 and weighs more than me. I've spent a lot of time with him though and he's never acted up on me, for some reason I'm the only one he has never lashed out at. Though he's even too much for the schools that are equipped to deal with those students, he's had to leave 3 or 4 schools already, ones designed for students with behavioral and learning problems (he has both, he also can't read). The girl could be bipolar, or have a similar problem. Either way, they should never arrest a girl in kindergarten. Get her to a doctor or psychiatrist, there may be problems beyond the girls control.[/quote]

If shes physically assulting people and causing property damage the little shit should be restrained. Being small doesn't make her any less dangerous with a pair of scissors. If she is bipolar and really can't control herself, thats all the more reason to lock her up. But from the sounds of it, she's just a spoiled little brat.

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='alonzomourning23']My cousin is bipolar, has outbursts like that, though not quite as violent (though pushing and hitting is there sometimes). If he ever really wanted to hurt someone there'd be a problem, the kid is 12 and weighs more than me. I've spent a lot of time with him though and he's never acted up on me, for some reason I'm the only one he has never lashed out at. Though he's even too much for the schools that are equipped to deal with those students, he's had to leave 3 or 4 schools already, ones designed for students with behavioral and learning problems (he has both, he also can't read). The girl could be bipolar, or have a similar problem. Either way, they should never arrest a girl in kindergarten. Get her to a doctor or psychiatrist, there may be problems beyond the girls control.[/quote]

If shes physically assulting people and causing property damage the little shit should be restrained. Being small doesn't make her any less dangerous with a pair of scissors. If she is bipolar and really can't control herself, thats all the more reason to lock her up. But from the sounds of it, she's just a spoiled little brat.[/quote]

Ya that's smart, lock her up so without even attempting to treat her. That way when she'll be a dangerous adult :roll: . The point of treating bipolar is to minimize these problems, it's ridiculous to lock up a kid, especially one that has a medical problem. That's something you treat (if she does indeed have a problem, bipolar or other). A person with a mental illness should be treated or, at worst, in a psychiatric institution (my cousin spent a few weeks in one). Locking them up does nothing, and in the case of a child,all you will do is end up with a dangerous adult.

[quote name='Kayden']
If shes physically assulting people and causing property damage the little shit should be restrained. Being small doesn't make her any less dangerous with a pair of scissors. If she is bipolar and really can't control herself, thats all the more reason to lock her up. But from the sounds of it, she's just a spoiled little brat.[/quote]

The mother's suspicion of conspiracy is highly indicative of chemical imbalance in the brain. However, it also shows how she views the problem as having nothing to do with her daughter, making your "spoiled little brat" comment somewhat true. Yet imbalances are known to be passable to children, and so that may also be manifesting itself in this outrageous behavior.
Although justice should be served, mercy must take prevalence in this child's life. She should be restrained and disciplined, like the police have done, but not locked up. If she is bipolar she needs help, not more harm. Those with bipolar disorder can lead well-ordered and disciplined lives with the right help and motivation; abuse is neither.

Having at least one friend diagnosed as bipolar (to my knowledge), and another which appears to be a textbook case I can say this: Bipolar people are fucking insane. :lol:

I can't believe you guys are missing the obvious implication here. We need to prevent underage children from getting their hands on jelly beans. We need ESRB ratings and penalty systems for retailers that allow children to get their hands on jelly beans. Also, as this situation shows us, there needs to be the ability for victims of children's crimes to sue the jelly bean manufacturers.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I can't believe you guys are missing the obvious implication here. We need to prevent underage children from getting their hands on jelly beans. We need ESRB ratings and penalty systems for retailers that allow children to get their hands on jelly beans. Also, as this situation shows us, there needs to be the ability for victims of children's crimes to sue the jelly bean manufacturers.[/quote]

I always hated jelly beans, even as a little kid. Ban them.

[quote name='alonzomourning23'][quote name='RedvsBlue']I can't believe you guys are missing the obvious implication here. We need to prevent underage children from getting their hands on jelly beans. We need ESRB ratings and penalty systems for retailers that allow children to get their hands on jelly beans. Also, as this situation shows us, there needs to be the ability for victims of children's crimes to sue the jelly bean manufacturers.[/quote]

I always hated jelly beans, even as a little kid. Ban them.[/quote]

The starburst jelly beans are great, the rest suck.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I can't believe you guys are missing the obvious implication here. We need to prevent underage children from getting their hands on jelly beans. We need ESRB ratings and penalty systems for retailers that allow children to get their hands on jelly beans. Also, as this situation shows us, there needs to be the ability for victims of children's crimes to sue the jelly bean manufacturers.[/quote]

I agree, I bet she spends alot of her time playing violent video games too! :D

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."[/quote]

This is the kind of parent that blames video games for violent acts. Apparently the mother doesn't know how to teach her kid good manners, otherwise it wouldn't had happened. It's still funny that she kicked the teacher and punched the AP though.

borrowing that, if'n you don't mind...because that pretty much sums up the situation and is freakin hilarious!

I know kids like this, and it has nothing to do with an illness. Their parents don't even attempt to be parents. They laugh if their child acts up. They take no interest in educating the kid academically, morally, what have you. And they always blame someone else if something serious does happen.

[quote name='Psydrogen']I know kids like this, and it has nothing to do with an illness. Their parents don't even attempt to be parents. They laugh if their child acts up. They take no interest in educating the kid academically, morally, what have you. And they always blame someone else if something serious does happen.[/quote]

It seems like some of us know kids like this as well, and it does have to do with illness. Obviously there are problem kids, but a 5 year old girl going off this bad just because someone takes away their jelly beans? That doesn't sound normal. Not everythings the parents fault. A lot of people have problems, many function perfectly normally when properly medicated. It's not that strange.

[quote name='alonzomourning23'][quote name='Psydrogen']I know kids like this, and it has nothing to do with an illness. Their parents don't even attempt to be parents. They laugh if their child acts up. They take no interest in educating the kid academically, morally, what have you. And they always blame someone else if something serious does happen.[/quote]

It seems like some of us know kids like this as well, and it does have to do with illness. Obviously there are problem kids, but a 5 year old girl going off this bad just because someone takes away their jelly beans? That doesn't sound normal. Not everythings the parents fault. A lot of people have problems, many function perfectly normally when properly medicated. It's not that strange.[/quote]

I realize some kids have problems that need to be medically treated. I was speaking of the kids that I know of personally. There's nothing wrong with them biologically. They can be good kids. I have seen episodes this bad with them (honestly), and the same excuses come up, give them drugs or it's someone else's fault that they did this. What needs to be done is jack-slap the parents and send them off to boot camp (or maybe a parenting class.) I fear for these kids futures. I don't see them going to college and making a good life for themselves. I see them becoming parents themselves at 14 and raising (I use this term loosely) their kids the same way.

[quote name='alonzomourning23'][quote name='Kayden'][quote name='alonzomourning23']My cousin is bipolar, has outbursts like that, though not quite as violent (though pushing and hitting is there sometimes). If he ever really wanted to hurt someone there'd be a problem, the kid is 12 and weighs more than me. I've spent a lot of time with him though and he's never acted up on me, for some reason I'm the only one he has never lashed out at. Though he's even too much for the schools that are equipped to deal with those students, he's had to leave 3 or 4 schools already, ones designed for students with behavioral and learning problems (he has both, he also can't read). The girl could be bipolar, or have a similar problem. Either way, they should never arrest a girl in kindergarten. Get her to a doctor or psychiatrist, there may be problems beyond the girls control.[/quote]

Ya that's smart, lock her up so without even attempting to treat her. That way when she'll be a dangerous adult :roll: . The point of treating bipolar is to minimize these problems, it's ridiculous to lock up a kid, especially one that has a medical problem. That's something you treat (if she does indeed have a problem, bipolar or other). A person with a mental illness should be treated or, at worst, in a psychiatric institution (my cousin spent a few weeks in one). Locking them up does nothing, and in the case of a child,all you will do is end up with a dangerous adult.[/quote]

:roll:

What I meant was that the police where in the right to handcuff her. Restrain/lockup/secure/shackle... If she couldn't control herself, she might lash out again as the police tried to take her out, so they should lock her up (in handcuffs). But even if they did incarcerate her, they wouldn't just toss her in a prison, what kind of fuktard would think I meant that? :p I've been to the places where they detain children like this, and although they aren't much better than a jail cell, they claim they're trying to help. There was one girl who wasn't allowed shoes because she beat other kids unconcious with hers... she was like 5. Even if they're little, they can still be dangerous.
Ok.. kinda sidetracked, but still, there are places one can be under arrest/detained and still get treatment.

[quote name='beerguy961'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."[/quote]

A giant conspiracy to bring down a kindergartener?

Sometimes I feel like slapping people through the internet...[/quote]

u might be settin them up

but yea i feel u, but is it just me..or dus the news get more and more ridiculous :\..?

[quote name='Kayden']
:roll:

What I meant was that the police where in the right to handcuff her. Restrain/lockup/secure/shackle... If she couldn't control herself, she might lash out again as the police tried to take her out, so they should lock her up (in handcuffs). But even if they did incarcerate her, they wouldn't just toss her in a prison, what kind of fuktard would think I meant that? :p I've been to the places where they detain children like this, and although they aren't much better than a jail cell, they claim they're trying to help. There was one girl who wasn't allowed shoes because she beat other kids unconcious with hers... she was like 5. Even if they're little, they can still be dangerous.
Ok.. kinda sidetracked, but still, there are places one can be under arrest/detained and still get treatment.[/quote]

I've talked to a lot of strange people, and someone suggesting putting a 5 year old in jail would not be the most outlandish conversation I've had.

bread's done
Back