New 360 Arcade, Now what should I get first??

Just picked up:

Halo 3
Bioshock
Assassins Creed
Army of two
GTA IV (funny cause I just got done saying how I wasn't going to play these GTA games, but it was ONLY $10)

Now I need to get my HDD and stay away from this site lol. I'm gonna end up spending my time buying games instead of playing them. ;)

Contrary to what others have said: 20GB is too small. It's only 12GB of usuable space. That's enough for your saves, but it can't hold much else. I'd get a 60GB or 120GB. I have a legit one I got from eBay for $65. I would strongly suggest you get ODST instead of Halo 3. All of the maps, on one disc, plus better single player.

Like others have said:

I agree with those saying 20GB isn't enough. I have 80 or so XBLA games, which killed my 20GB drive, especially now that they're releasing XBLA games that are averaging around 200MB each, Shadow Complex and Trials are huge, and apparently they can be up to 2GB in the future.

So if you plan on downloading much then you'll need at least the 60 and soon enough you'll probably need at least a 120, lol. Plus, installing games you play a lot can shorten the load times and quiet the room down quite a few decibels.

Thx, I'm currently looking for AT LEAST a 60gb hdd. I have already picked up the following games:

Madden 08
Gears of War
Orange Box
Dirt
PGR3 (though I am taking this one back)
Prey
Halo 3
Bioshock
Assassins Creed
Army of two
GTA IV

I think I am good for now for games unless I come across a deal I can't pass up.

Another good reason to get a larger drive is that it's good to install your games to the HDD. Not only does it make your Xbox load faster, it makes it quieter and it saves wear on the optical drive. It only has to read the optical drive when you first start the game to verify you own it and then it plays the game from the HDD. Installing all your games to HDD takes up quite a bit of space, though.

A refund. Buy an Elite.

Just kidding. Dead Rising.

Ooh! And Batman: Arkham Asylum!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I ordered a used 120gb OEM HDD for $60 shipped. Hopefully it is good. ;)

So after all is said and done, here is how my cheap Arcade 360 deal has gone down:

$215 Arcade 360 from Wal-mart (with a $100 gift card)
$0 COD MW2 from Wal-mart (cost me $66 worth of my original gift card, but got another $20 GC)
$0 12 Month Live from Wal-Mart (cost me the $20 GC plus another $22 from other GC)
$20 At EB/GS for Madden 08, PGR3, GRAW and PREY
$14 to exchange GRAW for DIRT
$32 for Gears of War and Orange Box at Target
$54 at BB/GR for Halo 3, Bioshock, Army of Two, GTA IV and Assassins Creed
$60 for a 120gb HDD

For a grand total of $395

Arcade System, 120gb HDD, 12 months of Live and 11 Pretty cool Games

EDIT: still have like $10 left on my WM Gift Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my son also has a 360 Arcade on the way now (wouldn't leave mine alone). He sold his DS and games and ordered a Arcade from Amazon. He can play a few of my games (he's 12), but I need some more suggestions for games for him now.

Here is what I have, I marked the ones he can play with +++++

1. Army of Two
2. Assassin's Creed
3. Bioshock
4. Burnout Paradise +++++
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare +++++
6. DiRT +++++
7. Gears of War
8. Grand Theft Auto IV
9. Halo 3 +++++
10. Madden NFL 08 +++++
11. Orange Box, The
12. Prey

He has been playing Madden like crazy. He also is into NBA games, so is there a good/great NBA game that's maybe a couple years old for cheap?? Also maybe some platformers or kid friendly games that are really good, but still cheap??

ALSO----How do I set his 360 to filter language and adult content (not worried about violence as much as I am the language and sexual situations)? Or can this even be done?? Also, when he gets a Live account, is there any way to filter the in-coming live/online info??

Language and content filters are the developers responsibility, not MS's. You can make his XBL account (if he has one) a childs' which disables him from buying M rated XBLA games and you can restrict voice to none/friends list only.

As for The Orange Box, I'm not going to be your sons parent but I'd let him play Portal, the game has little/no violence and no language. It's all in good fun. And possibly TF2, the violence is very cartoon, and I believe the worst that is said is crap/damn. Just throwing that out there but again, he's your kid.

As for more games for him, get him an XBL point card. I suggest the Twisted Pixel games (The Maw, Splosion Man) Small Arms, N+, Castle Crashers, Defense Grid, Worms 2: Armageddon, the Banjo Kazooie remakes, and the list goes on I'm sure.

[quote name='hotwls13']Well, my son also has a 360 Arcade on the way now (wouldn't leave mine alone). He sold his DS and games and ordered a Arcade from Amazon. He can play a few of my games (he's 12), but I need some more suggestions for games for him now.

Here is what I have, I marked the ones he can play with +++++

1. Army of Two
2. Assassin's Creed
3. Bioshock
4. Burnout Paradise +++++
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare +++++
6. DiRT +++++
7. Gears of War
8. Grand Theft Auto IV
9. Halo 3 +++++
10. Madden NFL 08 +++++
11. Orange Box, The
12. Prey

He has been playing Madden like crazy. He also is into NBA games, so is there a good/great NBA game that's maybe a couple years old for cheap?? Also maybe some platformers or kid friendly games that are really good, but still cheap??

ALSO----How do I set his 360 to filter language and adult content (not worried about violence as much as I am the language and sexual situations)? Or can this even be done?? Also, when he gets a Live account, is there any way to filter the in-coming live/online info??[/QUOTE]

Is there any particular system you're using to determine what games he can play? Like why CoD4, but not Orange Box or Assassin's Creed?

And, off topic if you want to tell me, why are you more concerned about language and sexual situations than violence?

[quote name='SpazX']Is there any particular system you're using to determine what games he can play? Like why CoD4, but not Orange Box or Assassin's Creed?

And, off topic if you want to tell me, why are you more concerned about language and sexual situations than violence?[/QUOTE]

lol, I say it's OK for COD4 because I have that on PC and I have played through the whole thing. There is a bit of language in the single player, but not excessive and no sexual stuff.

Orang Box and Assassins Creed are new to me, so I don't personally know what the content is. IF they are light on language and sexual stuff, they would probably be OK.

The reason i am more concerned about language and sexual stuff than violence just is a Age Appropriateness thing. Each parent has there own views, and these are ours. He is smart enough (and old enough) to know that it's not ok to go out and slaughter your neighbors with a chainsaw or M4, but he may just think it's cool to repeat language etc. Also, I have a 5 yr old running around that doesn't need to accidentally hear language or see sexual stuff (the 360 is in his room, but still). In my mind, and the way I was raised, it's kind of a cops and robbers thing. There's the bad guy, kill him, that's ok. lol It's the GTA stuff or even some of the cut scenes from God of War are a bit over the top.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a discussion about what's right and wrong etc.

Thanks for the input about orange box Hydro. I thought Team Fortress looked pretty funny, so that would probably be ok as well.

Just trying to see if there is some way to filter language from the console or is it a game by game thing??

I was just wondering, not trying to start anything about what is or isn't right.

IIRC there's no sex in Assassin's Creed and I don't think there is much if any language you wouldn't want them to hear. Same for Bioshock and Orange Box (especially portal, which is essentially just a puzzle game). Gears of War may have a little more cursing or something, but I don't recall it sticking out in my mind and there's definitely nothing sexual.

And AFAIK there's no way to globally filter anything, it has to be a part of the individual game, you can only stop certain ratings, etc. like Hydro said.

bread's done
Back