New 360 came with a broken controller

blant217

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Not sure is this is in the right spot. I am looking for some guidance here...
I bought a new 360 2 weeks ago and the LB did not work on the controller. I contacted a MS CSR thru online chat and explained the issue and was told to send in the controller and they would replace it. I explained that by the time I bought a box, tape, packing material and get to get to the post office i could just find a new controller on sale online and it would be about the same price. After talking to a supervisor the CSR said they would send a new controller to me in 24 hours and someone would call me about the broken one, and I may not need to send it back in.
A week Later I have not received a call, email or the controller so I contact the CSR again. She denied saying that she was sending the controller, when I ask for the supervisor and copy/paste the transcript he said that they could not honor that and I would need to send in the broken controller. When I asked to escalate the issue he refused and would not transfer me to his superior or give me a phone number I could call and speak to someone else to resolve this. The entire time I spoke with them they were rude and continually contradicted themselves.

I am VERY frustrated and feel I have been deceived, I spent my money on a 360 and have nothing to show for it. Eventually I will have to get a controller somewhere but I shouldn't need to. Does anyone know who I can call or if there is any way I can resolve this without having to spend my own money just to get a working controller? I already paid for it once, it seems crazy to need to pay again. Any advice would help. Thanks.

UGH! That is what I was thinking, I don't think I have the box. Guess I will toss it all into a Best Buy bag and grab my receipt .
Then I can spend the night downloading the gigs of games and DLC I have on the drive...
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I was hoping to find a way to get MS to step up and fix the problem, especially after the way the CSRs treated me but I should probably just let it go and head to the store.

With any luck they'll just switch out the controller. Had that happen at Walmart (PS2 back in the day), and they just gave me a new controller and took mine back instead of trading the whole system out.

I got a lot of stuff for my b-day, just put all the smaller boxes in the bigger boxes and dragged them out to the trash. Wasn't expecting the controller not to work. It is just the LB, didn't even notice the first few days, not the most common button.

[quote name='blant217']Found the box![/QUOTE]

Good. ALWAYS keep the box for whatever you have until you know for sure the product works and you're going to keep it. Hell, keep the box anyway if you can in case you ever need to ship the item back to the manufacturer. Folding boxes down and tucking them away isn't a big deal and helps a ton if you ever need them.

Just take it back to best buy and explain the situation. More than likely they will just take another 360 and just switch out the controller.

I would just take the controller by itself into Best Buy with the receipt. I always deal with the retailer in these situations over dealing with the manufacturer especially within the first 30 days.

I just mailed a controller to MS and got a free replacement when the analog stick just got stuck and didn't want to move unless you pushed it super hard. I don't see how this is so difficult to do, put the controller in a box, tape the box up and ship it out USPS first class, yes it will cost you shipping which is about $3-4 but you should get a controller back pretty quickly. Its a lot cheaper than buying a new controller if that is what you were going to do.

No offense to the op but I don't think any of the big 3 would just take any customer's word on sending out a new controller without receipt of a broken one.

They would be sending out new controllers to people all day. And like SaraAB said shipping a controller in a small box shouldnt cost more than $5.

I would, however, ask if they could reimburse you for the shipping(in ms points or a free month of live maybe) if you included the receipt from the post office.

When I bought a new 360 because my launch on finally rrod I bought the $400 MW2 one. And one of the controllers was DOA. trying to deal with M$ customer service was a joke. I just ate it.

When the Silver Transforming D-Pad Controller first came out, I found mine was defective as the analog stick on it wasn't centered and my character would move to the left whenever it was in a stationary position. Talked to a Microsoft CSR, I sent in my controller and they sent me the less expensive, older, black controller. I called them back up and they told me I would need to send it back again but this time I refused and asked to speak with a higher-up. Got a call back and he told me he would send me a brand new Silver controller and I could keep the other one they sent me.

[quote name='Link2999']When the Silver Transforming D-Pad Controller first came out, I found mine was defective as the analog stick on it wasn't centered and my character would move to the left whenever it was in a stationary position. Talked to a Microsoft CSR, I sent in my controller and they sent me the less expensive, older, black controller. I called them back up and they told me I would need to send it back again but this time I refused and asked to speak with a higher-up. Got a call back and he told me he would send me a brand new Silver controller and I could keep the other one they sent me.[/QUOTE]

One more for the good guys. \\:D/

Where'd you order it from? Try contacting the retailer and not Microsoft.

A month ago, my brother bought a 360 from Walmart.com and it came with a broken controller. A couple buttons stuck really bad. After back and forth emails, they agreed that if I bought a new controller and showed proof of purchase, they would refund me that price and I did not have to send in the broken one.

bread's done
Back