New 360 Premium Bundle w/ Forza & MUA @ Costco

jazzman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
FYI

Saw these at Costco last night, bundle includes:
- 360 Premium w/ Forza & MUA (both games in one case, probably on one disk)
- extra wireless controller
- play & charge kit

The bundles were going for $399.99.

*I thought these bundles weren't supposed to be out until the end of the month.

[quote name='freshzen']360 = $350
Controller = $40 (some places charge $50 but they've been $40 at amazon and other fine retailers for a long time now)
Play & Charge Kit = $10-20

So you're saving **maybe** $5-10. Pretty lame considering they charge an annual fee just to shop their (and no I do not need a giant 3 lbs jar of mayo thanks).[/quote]

ummmmm, aren't you forgetting the TWO $60 games as well? $350+$40+$20+$60+$60=$530! That's $130 in savings smart guy. even if that's the ONLY thing you're trying to save money on, it's worth it, membership is $50, still gonna save almost $100. dude, spend $100 at costco and you'll pay for your membership once. they have sick deals on car tires (got my michelin hydroedge's), tvs, digital cameras (i got my canon rebel xti), magazines, snacks (2 lbs. of beef jerky for $10), etc. not to mention their gasoline is the cheapest around.

[quote name='AtariST']You are absolutely correct. Costco pricing sucks.[/quote]

no he's not, and no it doesn't. u really think costco prices suck? they're the best around when it comes to stuff like this.see my post above.

[quote name='von551']ummmmm, aren't you forgetting the TWO $60 games as well? $350+$40+$20+$60+$60=$530! That's $130 in savings smart guy. even if that's the ONLY thing you're trying to save money on, it's worth it, membership is $50, still gonna save almost $100. dude, spend $100 at costco and you'll pay for your membership once. they have sick deals on car tires (got my michelin hydroedge's), tvs, digital cameras (i got my canon rebel xti), magazines, snacks (2 lbs. of beef jerky for $10), etc. not to mention their gasoline is the cheapest around.[/quote]

The pack ins (marvel and foza) are going to be everywhere for 349 in a week or two so they shouldn't be counted as anything extra.

A wireless controller is going to cost 30.99 from buy.com after google check out. A play and charge kit will cost 6.99. So if you were talk walk into any retail store and buy an xbox then order those two things from buy.com the cost would be 349.99 + 37.98 =387.97. The only reason to buy from costco is their warrenty that however, is a pretty compelling reason.

I have not used the second controller that came with mine, but the "warranty" is enough to justify paying extra for.

Costco has great prices on pretty much everything, but their phone vendors inside some warehouses (who aren't affiliated with costco) will rip you off :(

[quote name='carthum']The pack ins (marvel and foza) are going to be everywhere for 349 in a week or two so they shouldn't be counted as anything extra.

A wireless controller is going to cost 30.99 from buy.com after google check out. A play and charge kit will cost 6.99. So if you were talk walk into any retail store and buy an xbox then order those two things from buy.com the cost would be 349.99 + 37.98 =387.97. The only reason to buy from costco is their warrenty that however, is a pretty compelling reason.[/quote]

Double-dipping on a deal that is intended for new customers only is hardly comparable to a deal that the store INTENDS to offer.

[quote name='carthum']The pack ins (marvel and foza) are going to be everywhere for 349 in a week or two so they shouldn't be counted as anything extra.

A wireless controller is going to cost 30.99 from buy.com after google check out. A play and charge kit will cost 6.99. So if you were talk walk into any retail store and buy an xbox then order those two things from buy.com the cost would be 349.99 + 37.98 =387.97. The only reason to buy from costco is their warrenty that however, is a pretty compelling reason.[/quote]

oh ok, but still. i see a P&C kit for $23 with shipping on buy.com and i'm sure most people have already signed up and used their $10 google checkout $350+$23+$40=$413. the warranty and price adjustments make it worth while, plus i hear alot of gripes about buy.com. can't beat peace of mind and ease of walking out a store with what u want, not waiting for unreliable online sellers.

[quote name='SteveGo']This bundle is item #366660. Should be at all the Costco's in our region (San Diego) by the end of next week.[/quote]

yeah, they're already in san diego. saw a few last night at my local SD costco.

[quote name='mugs']Double-dipping on a deal that is intended for new customers only is hardly comparable to a deal that the store INTENDS to offer.[/quote]
I agree. Good call.

I just took a quick look at Amazon for these bundles. They don't have them yet but the cost of the extra wireless controller and the play and charge kit amounts to $50. I guess you could say Costco's bundle has Amazon pricing? $34.99 for the controller and $14.99 for the P&C kit.

[quote name='mugs']Double-dipping on a deal that is intended for new customers only is hardly comparable to a deal that the store INTENDS to offer.[/quote]

Or you can just have coworkers place and order for you and pay them back. Most are more than happy to do it for a coffee.

I've played with my new 360 from Costco all day yesterday (I can't believe I did all freaking day!) and the system didn't get nearly as hot as my previous system did. I guess that new heatsink thing really helps.

Just curious about you people doing a 360 exchange at Costco... do you all not buy games/things on XBLM? The purchases are tied to both the GT and the console so if you just put the old HD in the new console, you'd only be able to play with purchases when connected with Live. If Costco has some mojo deal with Microsoft, I'll definately get my neXtbox there.

I had to go through this with my previous 360 that died, and it's correct. You need to be on XBL to play any previously purchased games.

I'm so confuse! I been waiting from MS to ship my console but is been delayed over a month. heck i'll run to COSTCO just to get it today if this is the new system.

Can some one clear me on the difference betwen this Zephyr syste and Falcon system and 90nm and 65nm. and once I know which one is the best, how will I tell them apart. I want to go to costco and check them out, if they are the ones im taking one.

Thanks

[quote name='Xlyder']
Can some one clear me on the difference betwen this Zephyr syste and Falcon system and 90nm and 65nm. [/QUOTE]

Difference is the Zephyr's have the 90nm CPU chip, while Falcons have the 65nm CPU. All that means is the CPU chip is smaller. Theoretically it should put out less heat, which may reduce problems slightly. But in reality, it probably will make little difference since the GPU (graphics chip) is still 90nm in both, and that is what is causing most of the over heating problems.

The heatsink, which the Zephyr and the falcons will have, is more likely to solve the problem. So moral of the story, either should be fine.

As for telling a Zephyr, look under the flap on the box and it will say Zephyr. From what I've read, there's no way to identify Falcon's for sure yet. Just some guesses on lot numbers, manufacture dates etc., but nothing firm.

[quote name='jazzman']FYI

Saw these at Costco last night, bundle includes:
- 360 Premium w/ Forza & MUA (both games in one case, probably on one disk)
- extra wireless controller
- play & charge kit

The bundles were going for $399.99.

*I thought these bundles weren't supposed to be out until the end of the month.[/QUOTE]

Is there an Elite bundle?

[quote name='elmyra']On the other hand, the Costco return policy is especially nice when you're talking about a product with the failure rate of the 360. And Costco has a lot of good deals other than bulk food products.[/quote]
I just returned my 360 bundle I had bought from them on March 20 2006. Got a full refund in cash, turned around and purchased the Halo 3 bundle they have. There was absoutely no hassle in the return; they just wanted me to bring back everything that it had come with originally, then they checked in their computer that I had and handed me the cash. If I wanted a "similar" return/exchange plan at say Circuit City or Best Buy I would have to pay an additional 50-100$ ontop of the cost of the console purchase. The cost of membership is 35$ a year, and while I don't need a 30gal tub of mayo either, there are other deals there that the everyman can definitely take advantage of.

Thanks,

I'm going 2 head over to costcoright now. Probably end up getting this bundle. I was reading that MS is realeasing a Xbox 360 Arcade System around the end of the month. (http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2795/2/) Now im curious if an up to date premium bundles will come out around the same date.

I'll post things up on what costco will do if in fact I buy a system now and a new one comes out in a week or so. Will they replace it with a new one? Compensate the difference?

And i'll look for the zephir name under the box.

[quote name='Xlyder']Thanks,

I'm going 2 head over to costcoright now. Probably end up getting this bundle. I was reading that MS is realeasing a Xbox 360 Arcade System around the end of the month. (http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2795/2/) Now im curious if an up to date premium bundles will come out around the same date.

I'll post things up on what costco will do if in fact I buy a system now and a new one comes out in a week or so. Will they replace it with a new one? Compensate the difference?

And i'll look for the zephir name under the box.[/QUOTE]

All you need to know is that if you're 'unsatisfied' with your Xbox purchased from costco, just bring it along with the receipt back and they'll give you a full cash refund. All they really do is check to make sure that everything's there.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As for telling a Zephyr, look under the flap on the box and it will say Zephyr. From what I've read, there's no way to identify Falcon's for sure yet. Just some guesses on lot numbers, manufacture dates etc., but nothing firm.[/quote]You can't inspect the console's manufacture date and possible type until you get the system out of its plastic cocoon. All the bundle items are in a nice plastic shell, so you'll have to check that out when you get home.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Difference is the Zephyr's have the 90nm CPU chip, while Falcons have the 65nm CPU. All that means is the CPU chip is smaller. Theoretically it should put out less heat, which may reduce problems slightly. But in reality, it probably will make little difference since the GPU (graphics chip) is still 90nm in both, and that is what is causing most of the over heating problems.

The heatsink, which the Zephyr and the falcons will have, is more likely to solve the problem. So moral of the story, either should be fine.

As for telling a Zephyr, look under the flap on the box and it will say Zephyr. From what I've read, there's no way to identify Falcon's for sure yet. Just some guesses on lot numbers, manufacture dates etc., but nothing firm.[/quote]

Wrong, sorta, not all zephyrs have the second heat sink, some of them uses a copper pipe with a x-clamp. The rest is true, but to identify a falcon, you must have the following:
  1. Lot #0734 (Halo 3) or later (all SKUs) (So far only Halo 3 Lot 0734 consoles have been found with 65nm)
  2. Manufactured on or after 8/24/07
  3. Team FDOU (Other teams may be Falcon as well, but none have been reported)
How to find Lot and Team info:
There is a white sticker on the side of the box with the lot # and team. In order to find the manufacturing date without opening the box, there is a flap on the side of the box that allows you to peek inside and see the manufacturing date on the console itself.

Okay

please, please, please refrain from spreading confusing information...you need to clarify your data. it should state these are the bare minimum standards to get one, and then you still might not.

there have been reports of later lots NOT being a falcon. as far as i have read, only h3 360's have been identified as falcons, and not all of them in that criteria you specified are falcons, some are zephyrs. i know where you quoted it from, but even there the wording is not clear.

see here: http://forums.xbox.com/24/15804553/ShowPost.aspx#15804553

and here: http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=64&PostID=14713652

for more info.

[quote name='runciter']Just curious about you people doing a 360 exchange at Costco... do you all not buy games/things on XBLM? The purchases are tied to both the GT and the console so if you just put the old HD in the new console, you'd only be able to play with purchases when connected with Live. If Costco has some mojo deal with Microsoft, I'll definately get my neXtbox there.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about this too. I bought a bundle (Extra contr, play & charge, XBLA Unplugged) from Costco 2 months ago (Manf. Date of early 2006, eesh) and want to know what I'm in for in case I have to return it.

GOT IT

Lot 0730 so probably they are not falcons.

The games come each as a cd in one single case

I got this cus if the falcon's do come out in the coming weeks i'll return it on the spot with no hassle. :) alright costco.

Are all the Halo 3 bundles Falcons? And will they be bundled with the two free games?

I can't believe I'm so concerned about this...

[quote name='godsantagonist']please, please, please refrain from spreading confusing information...you need to clarify your data. it should state these are the bare minimum standards to get one, and then you still might not.

there have been reports of later lots NOT being a falcon. as far as i have read, only h3 360's have been identified as falcons, and not all of them in that criteria you specified are falcons, some are zephyrs. i know where you quoted it from, but even there the wording is not clear.

see here: http://forums.xbox.com/24/15804553/ShowPost.aspx#15804553

and here: http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=64&PostID=14713652

for more info.[/quote]

I see... apparently you know more and my source was in the same forum as yours, only yours is a more recent post, sorry for the confusion, but then, the only way to truely know if you have one is to buy it and do the flashlight method since I doubt the clerk will allow you to open the box and start staring into the thing with a flashlight, damn the relabeling

sorry for upsetting you...

there has now been one report of a pro holiday bindle having no heatsink in hawaii. there is no definite way of knowing what chipset you will get. get the latest and hope for the best. again, go to those threads listed and read them. g'luck everbody.

[quote name='shrike4242']I had to go through this with my previous 360 that died, and it's correct. You need to be on XBL to play any previously purchased games.[/QUOTE]

Was this prior to the spring '07 update? Someone on here claimed (acted like it was fact) that after the spring 07 update all that's needed is your gamertag that purchased the games. So, for example, you'd be able to take a hard drive off one unit, stick it on another, and have access to all your games without ever connecting to the internet.

[quote name='jshawnd']Are all the Halo 3 bundles Falcons? And will they be bundled with the two free games?

I can't believe I'm so concerned about this...[/QUOTE]

Not all the Halo 3 are, and I don't think any of the 2 game bundle ones have been falcons.

Don't be so worried about it, they probably won't help much over the Zephyrs. The added heat sink should solve the problem. A smaller CPU, when the GPU is the main heat culprit, shouldn't make much difference.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Was this prior to the spring '07 update? Someone on here claimed (acted like it was fact) that after the spring 07 update all that's needed is your gamertag that purchased the games. So, for example, you'd be able to take a hard drive off one unit, stick it on another, and have access to all your games without ever connecting to the internet.[/quote]For each game that I wanted to play that I had previously purchased, it required me to DL it again to play it.

Like people have said, there's not much of a difference. The Falcon's don't change the GPU, which has apparently been the real problem.

[quote name='PikaPichu']All you need to know is that if you're 'unsatisfied' with your Xbox purchased from costco, just bring it along with the receipt back and they'll give you a full cash refund. All they really do is check to make sure that everything's there.[/QUOTE]

So will Costco let you exchange a 360 for a new one if it dies? I'm planning on buying my first 360 in a few weeks, and Costco is one of the places I'm considering.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']So will Costco let you exchange a 360 for a new one if it dies? I'm planning on buying my first 360 in a few weeks, and Costco is one of the places I'm considering.[/quote]

yep...that's one of the main benefits from them and sams club

just don't over abuse the priveledge

ah, sucks, i was so hyped that the X360 will not have the RRoD problem with the new chip... Well, i'm still okay with the $408.89 X360 bundle from FRY...

[quote name='Serpentor']ah, sucks, i was so hyped that the X360 will not have the RRoD problem with the new chip... Well, i'm still okay with the $408.89 X360 bundle from FRY...[/QUOTE]

The new heat sinks (in every unit manuf after July) will do more to solve the problem than the new chips anyway.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']Are you allowed to keep the HDD when you return it?[/quote]As I have a 120GB drive on my Costco-purchased 360, when I swapped it in August, I cracked open the box when I paid for it and gave them the 20GB hard drive out of the new package.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The new heat sinks (in every unit manuf after July) will do more to solve the problem than the new chips anyway.[/quote]

yeah, thank dmaul, i see that you put a lot of research into this :)

as for me, i always thought the new chip is the key to the RRoD problem. Anyhow, it's the sinker huh, well, better with the new sinker than the old one. Just hope the new batch of X360s don't have this problem. The RRoD really gives the X360 some serious bad rep...

[quote name='Serpentor']yeah, thank dmaul, i see that you put a lot of research into this :)

as for me, i always thought the new chip is the key to the RRoD problem. Anyhow, it's the sinker huh, well, better with the new sinker than the old one. Just hope the new batch of X360s don't have this problem. The RRoD really gives the X360 some serious bad rep...[/QUOTE]

Well, the issue is that it's the GPU that over heats. The new chips are 65nm CPU, the GPU is still the same old 90nm chips, so the falcon's shouldn't do much. Unless they had something other than just the new CPU.

So since I'm torn about the Amazon deal, let me ask.

Are all bundles seen at Costco with the extra wireless controller and play and charge kit? Or has anyone seen Costco with the Marvel/Forza 360 for $350 without controller/play & charge.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, the issue is that it's the GPU that over heats. The new chips are 65nm CPU, the GPU is still the same old 90nm chips, so the falcon's shouldn't do much. Unless they had something other than just the new CPU.[/QUOTE]
So if I pick up an Elite bundle at a store is it going to have the new heatsink?

[quote name='Vajra']So since I'm torn about the Amazon deal, let me ask.

Are all bundles seen at Costco with the extra wireless controller and play and charge kit? Or has anyone seen Costco with the Marvel/Forza 360 for $350 without controller/play & charge.[/quote]

I doubt it. Costco, as all wherehouse clubs in general, sell everything in bulk. The only things I've seen them sell singularly are (ironically) some of the other electronics (Cameras, Computers, HDTVs, video games).

The deal isn't really that bad though. It's about what you'd pay retail when you factor in tax...but Costco's extremely liberal return policy makes the purchase worth it imo.

[quote name='Vajra']So since I'm torn about the Amazon deal, let me ask.

Are all bundles seen at Costco with the extra wireless controller and play and charge kit? Or has anyone seen Costco with the Marvel/Forza 360 for $350 without controller/play & charge.[/quote]The only bundles I've seen in-store have had a game bundle-packed in (PGR3 or Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1), a 2nd controller and a play-and-charge kit. The Halo 3 bundle has Halo 3 CE and a Spartan controller packed-in, not sure about the P&C as well as a P&C.

The bundles on Costco.com are similarly packed in:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11234969&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
(Pro system + Halo 3 + Quick Charge + 2nd controller)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11234961&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
(Pro system + Madden 08 + Quick Charge + 2nd controller)

There's been an Elite bundle as well, also packed in with extras. None of the 360's, or any consoles/handhelds as well, come as item-only. They're always packed-in with something.

[quote name='shrike4242']For each game that I wanted to play that I had previously purchased, it required me to DL it again to play it.[/QUOTE]

Oh okay...so then it was tied to the new console I take it and could be played offline? Well, that's not ideal, but it's better than what Nintendo and Sony are doing, from what I've heard. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='Vajra']So since I'm torn about the Amazon deal, let me ask. [/quote]

Wait...WHAT Amazon deal? I can't find anything on their site, and I haven't seen anything on here about an Amazon deal. I trust Amazon (and have Prime)...so an Amazon deal would work for me! :D

Costco's awesome. I wish I had one around here (just Sam's Club, which is a cruel joke by comparison).

I picked up my holiday bundle at Costco last night. I asked about the return policy and they said it's only 90 days.

I guess it varies by store so I would advise checking before you buy.

bread's done
Back