New 360

cyclonestoney

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
My xbox 360 elite got hit by a power surge last week and died. I need a new one and am fine with dealing with a 4gb for now. I need to get it as cheap as possible but I would like to get it new. Anybody know of any deals going on right now? Also I was wondering if anybody has had any success putting the hdd from an elite into the new 360 s consoles. I would really appreciate help right now. Also best buy currently has a trade in deal going on for 50% extra trade in credit, If I pre order one of the games for the extra 50% then cancel the preorder will I get my $5 back from the preorder and still keep my 50% extra trade in credit?

Not sure what you've set your limit to, but Target has a sale on the 250 GB Xbox for $270 ($30 off regular). I don't know anything about putting an Xbox Elite HDD into a Xbox Slim, but if it is possible I would be slightly worried about how much life is left in the HDD considering the system was struck by a power surge. If nothing else you could get a Xbox data migration kit to put your existing saves on the new Xbox.

This is off topic, but the problem with surge protectors is they only protect against small surges or spikes in electricity. And even then they will lose their protection capability after a couple years. And if hit with a big surge or after enduring enough small surges they will provide zero protection...they basically turn into a power strip.

I would get a battery backup, which cost just as much as a "good" surge protector. The difference is a surge protector is like putting a screen door in front of a charging bull, whereas a battery backup with built-in surge protection is like putting a brick wall in front of the bull. Plus if you lose power unexpectedly it will give you time to properly turn off your electronics. Unexpected shutdown is as harmful as a surge.

So, the surge protector you had before, throw it away it is now useless. If you settle on getting a surge protector again, get one that has an indicator light on it and preferably one that will give a warning beep when it begins to experience a rise in electricity.

Dont give up on the xbox so easy. Depending on what the xbox is doing these can be pretty easy to fix instead of forking out $200. Take a look at all your options first no need to throw something away that could be used. Post if the xbox turns on or not I mean I have had the 3 red rings and the E74 error and both are easy to fix.

[quote name='jaroth2']Dont give up on the xbox so easy. Depending on what the xbox is doing these can be pretty easy to fix instead of forking out $200. Take a look at all your options first no need to throw something away that could be used. Post if the xbox turns on or not I mean I have had the 3 red rings and the E74 error and both are easy to fix.[/QUOTE]

Not a good idea suggesting he mod it to fix it. If he isnt used to doing that sort of stuff then all he essentially gets left with is a headache, and money that could've been had from trading it to gs (they'll take broken consoles) flushed down the drain. Besides that the issue clearly isnt the 3 red lights (not rings) of death or an E74. Something/s potentially got fried. Might just be the power supply.

If you're reading this OP then there's one thing to keep in mind.....Not to listen jaroth2 about opening the console to "easy fix" it.

[quote name='aeroforce325']Not a good idea suggesting he mod it to fix it. If he isnt used to doing that sort of stuff then all he essentially gets left with is a headache, and money that could've been had from trading it to gs (they'll take broken consoles) flushed down the drain. Besides that the issue clearly isnt the 3 red lights (not rings) of death or an E74. Something/s potentially got fried. Might just be the power supply.

If you're reading this OP then there's one thing to keep in mind.....Not to listen jaroth2 about opening the console to "easy fix" it.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying to just open it up but he did not state if it was not turning on he said it died I have been on forums a lot when people get a red light error and say it died. He did not state if it was turning on or off or not. I was also saying to check all of your options first so a new power supply would be a great option if he has a friends so he can test it out. Why would opening it up be so taboo it sounds like it is out of warranty and gamestop only gives 15-20 for a broken xbox. How if it does turn on at all then look at opening it up is that better.

[quote name='jaroth2']I am not saying to just open it up but he did not state if it was not turning on he said it died I have been on forums a lot when people get a red light error and say it died. He did not state if it was turning on or off or not. I was also saying to check all of your options first so a new power supply would be a great option if he has a friends so he can test it out. Why would opening it up be so taboo it sounds like it is out of warranty and gamestop only gives 15-20 for a broken xbox. How if it does turn on at all then look at opening it up is that better.[/QUOTE]

It's not necessarily taboo, but gs knows what to look for to know if a console has been opened up. Also self fixing can very unreliable if you're fixing for one issue, and the issue you have is different than what a method is meant to fix. Another point to discuss is that sending the console back to MS would be cheaper than just up and buying a new console, which again if the console was popped open they wouldnt even take a second look at, and send right back. You therefore end up with a huge headache you cant quite offload as easily, and get no use out of. The end point of it is that he burns money with what he originally paid for the broken console, burns any trade value it has as is right now, and burns more buying a new one. Yeah he'll burn a little asking MS to take it and fix it, but it's the cheaper option.

I opened it already because I didn't realize it had any value to trade and I was strongly concerned that I would send it ms and thy would fix and then it would break again just after the new warranty ended and I have enough stuff to trade in and some credit at bb to bring cost to $150. but I just got a new car so I am excersizing some self control and holding off at least for a few months :(

Too bad you didnt trade it in a few weeks ago when GS was giving $140 in stacked trade in credit for fat xbox 360s w/coupon. You could have gotten a 4gb slim for ~$60 with the trade-in when your xbox 360 was working...

As far as the broken xbox is concerned, what happens when you turn it on? Red ring? Nothing? Does the little light on the power supply turn from orange to green? Is the light on the power supply red all the time, or does it turn red at some point?

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Too bad you didnt trade it in a few weeks ago when GS was giving $140 in stacked trade in credit for fat xbox 360s w/coupon. You could have gotten a 4gb slim for ~$60 with the trade-in when your xbox 360 was working...

As far as the broken xbox is concerned, what happens when you turn it on? Red ring? Nothing? Does the little light on the power supply turn from orange to green? Is the light on the power supply red all the time, or does it turn red at some point?[/QUOTE]

Nothing happens when I try to turn it on (no lights or anything). The light on the power supply is orange all the time and I tried with my cousin's power cord and still no dice. I don't believe I have ever seen the light on the power supply red.

bread's done
Back