New 4-game trade in offers at EB (DOA Online, NFL Street, Pokemon Stadium)

D Hogan

CAG Veteran
EB Games is on a roll with these offers. First Ninja Gaiden, then Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, and now this.

The latest issue of GMR magazine (Feb. 04) has a coupon about 10 pages in for the following offer:

"Choose any game(s) below FREE when you trade-in 4 non-sport Playstation 2, Xbox, or Gamecube games per game purchased:

- NFL Street (PS2, Xbox, GC)
- Dead or Alive Online (Xbox)
- Pokemon Colosseum (GC)

Limit one per title per customer. Cannot be combined with any other trade-in offer or promotion. Not valid on previous purchases. Coupon must be present at time of purchase. No rain checks will be issued. No duplicate titles. Boxes and instructions must be included. Customer is responsible for sales tax in some states. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details. Offer valid 1/6/04 to 2/6/04".

I don't do sports games and could not care less about Pokemon Colosseum, but will definitely be picking up DOA Online. Keep the $5 games coming, CC!

added by cheapyd
Scan of coupon (thanks, KingToyenY2)

Now, to go and get mucho cheap ass games... Then trade them in! :D 16 cheap ass games will be a pain in the ass to buy, then trade in though -_- It'll be worth it, though :D even if each game I run across costs $10, thats $40 saved for Ninja Gaiden, FF:CC, NFL Steet, and DOA Ultiamate Collection Vol.1 :D :D :D

Quick question if anybody knows: In the past GMR magazines to SUBSCRIBERS have had coupons that the ones for sale in the store do not have. Anybody know if I could pick one up off the shelf and find the same coupon inside?

I doubt you'll need a coupon to do the trade in. Just ask one of the people working at your local EB if they have this trade in promotion going on and that should work. Time to dig up some dusty Xbox and PS2 games to get NFL Street... :D

I just traded in 4 games yesterday at eb, and the only one that they were aware of was sonic, FF was a trade in with credit deal. not 4 for one. He said Ninja Gaiden was an online deal only

[quote name='metroidkiller9']does eb except GH and PH games?[/quote]

Why bother jus trade in 4 $5 games from CC. the 2 times i have done this i went and had them in the wrapper still then jus gave them to them. i got Need For Speed Underground for $20 when it was trade in 4 games get it for free. then i did the same thing with FF:CC. BUT if u don't want to do that yes they do except PH and GH.

A couple of clarifications:

- If you're not familiar with the previous ebgames.com offer for Ninja Gaiden, or the EB B&M offer for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, look up the old threads on those subjects.
- The ad I have for this offer is in the copy of GMR that I get via subscription, so I am unable to verify if the same ad appears in the in-store version of the mag.
- I typed in the copy of the ad verbatum, so my original post pretty much sums up everything I know about the offer. It does state "coupon must be present at time of purchase", which is a strange way of wording it. It sounds as if you don't even have to cut out the coupon and give it to them, but just show it to them. I'm going to guess that this is just to make sure that they know the offer code to use in their computer when giving you the deal. That's conjecture only, though.
- The ad does include the weasel-wording of "some exclusions may apply", so YMMV as to what they will accept. Some CAGers have reported problems with trading in certain games (once again, check the old threads if you're not familiar with the other deals), but I've personally not had any problems. I traded in a couple of GH games on the ebgames.com Ninja Gaiden offer, and traded in Haven, Fantavision, and some some other completely worthless games on the FF:CC offer (in fact, the EB employees were laughing at the fact that the games I traded in were all coming up at $.25 or less trade-in value).

>

Then you'd be spending $40 to get one of these three games... am I right? Is that such a great savings? I'm trying to figure this one out, but I'm awfully sleepy, :).

I can't find cheapass games cheap enough to validfy getting 4 for 1 new game. Just those $10 games at CC. Oh wait... duh, there's $5-10 games at CC for the other consoles (GC owner, who's been abused by these offers mostly being for the XB and PS2).

~Dak

I bought a issue of GMR yesterday at EB purely for the coupon, and yes, it's in there. I think it costs $5 for one issue, so I just went ahead and subscribed for 10 months for $10.

I cant believe the amount of you that trade in your games. It is such a huge waste of money. If you want one of these games, grab the 4 games you want to trade in and EBAY THEM!!! You will get more then 8 bucks for it, and EB wont make 300% profit off the games.

[quote name='Mr.FoodMonster']I cant believe the amount of you that trade in your games. It is such a huge waste of money. If you want one of these games, grab the 4 games you want to trade in and EBAY THEM!!! You will get more then 8 bucks for it, and EB wont make 300% profit off the games.[/quote]

Some games do not get more than $8 on eBay. Some might not sell at all.
eBay charges fees.
Selling on eBay, waiting for payment, and sending out games takes time and effort. For some games it is worth it, but for the ones that sell for very little money, it can be a big hassle.
EB will not make a big profit on most of these cheap games, but even if they do, why would we begrudge them that?

I went in yesterday with 4 cheap games that I bought from CC and tried to trade them in for NFL Street. The EB guy told me a coupon is required, but luckily he felt sorry for me and he just cut out the coupon of the in store magazine (which the other EB guy was telling him not to do, but he told him to shut up). So for once I finally got lucky.

i tried yesterday, and the guy at EB wouldnt do it for me because i tried trading in 4 CC games, and 2 (Quantum Redshift and Nightcaster) were worth .25 in credit.

Hi:

There is no coupon need for this deal. I checked SEVERAL eb's in south jersey and they all had on their counter a display box that had a sticker on it which reads "Trade 4 games and get nfl street free". I did this deal twice already and not once did they ask for a coupon.

Hey, first time poster here.

I headed out to the EBX in the mall near my house. There weren't any showings of an NFL Street trade-in offer. I called the EBWorld near my house, and they had no knowledge of it either. Is this something that will come to be once the game is released? Could someone maybe offer the image so that I can show it to the employee just for proof? Thanks all.

I saw someone in another thread saying that they'll accept Jampacks and Exhibition discs?

Will they acecpt these or the Rainbow six 3 companion disc?

i traded in sealed xbox platinum hits copies of Crash bandicoot, Medal of honor, Ghost recon and Mech assault that i got for 5 bucks a pop from best buy.com :) i spent $20 on a game i was going to spen $50 on (nfl street)

[quote name='thestalefish']i tried yesterday, and the guy at EB wouldnt do it for me because i tried trading in 4 CC games, and 2 (Quantum Redshift and Nightcaster) were worth .25 in credit.[/quote]
Not directing the question towards thestalefish, but what are the exact terms of the coupon? If it states ANY non-sports title, then by the wording they should have accepted it regardless of its value since it meets the criteria stated.

I tired for the instore reserve halo which they had promenently staed at the counter so I took in 4 CC $5 games and the manager there was an idiot, she had to call another EB BEcause she didn't know how to do a trade in like this, then she said they were POX which means they weren't eligable(though it just said no sports games)Then she asked the other manager and the promo was over. SO be careful, your local EB could be run by complete idiots.

[quote name='kevgret']Hi:

There is no coupon need for this deal. I checked SEVERAL eb's in south jersey and they all had on their counter a display box that had a sticker on it which reads "Trade 4 games and get nfl street free". I did this deal twice already and not once did they ask for a coupon.[/quote]

Wouldn't it make things alot more simple if we could stop writing message that were worded like this? "There is no coupon needed for this deal". Well, I mean, obviously there is cause some guy had to get one torn out for him. It would just be a lot easier if people would relate thier experiences, and not try to convince other people that they imagined thiers.

My Eb, The guy had to look in the Window for the Sonic 4 for 1, but Final Fantasy just says inquire within store, which they are offering basic store credit.

hI:

I went to an eb in deptford NJ and traded 2 havens ($5), summer volleyball ($5), starsky and hutch ($5) for NFL street.

Some eb's will take dup's and some won't.

Kevin

"Wouldn't it make things alot more simple if we could stop writing message that were worded like this? "There is no coupon needed for this deal". Well, I mean, obviously there is cause some guy had to get one torn out for him. It would just be a lot easier if people would relate thier experiences, and not try to convince other people that they imagined thiers. "

Are you on Crack... How much more experience can I convey.. I told you EXACTLY what I experienced in SEVERAL EB's. There IS a box on the counter saying trade 4 games in with no coupon needed for nfl street. I DID do this deal WITHOUT a coupon. Next time get your facts straight.

I DID NOT USE A COUPON EITHER TIME I DID THE TRADE IN DEAL FOR NFL STREET

Thank-you
Kevin

Hey guys, pretty new member here, this is my first post. Awesome site btw; I'll be broke by the time the month is out! :p Anyway, I just wanted to give a little insight on the whole EB trade-in deal. I used to work there a couple years back, so I know a little bit about how it works. Granted it's been a while so their policies may have changed, but for the most part I think this should still be valid.

We used to have set lists (that we would get directly from the home office) of specific titles that we would NOT accept for trade-in promotions, either because their trade-in values were really low, or we had too many in inventory, etc. For the most part the only titles that were guaranteed to always be excluded were sports titles from the previous year (which seems to still be the case, and will probably continue to be). In addition to that, the store managers could add excluded titles to the list at their own discretion, so YMMV from store to store.

These new promotions that say "any non-sports title" more than likely do have other restrictions attached to them, which is the reason for the "some exclusions apply" small print, but again it can totally vary from store to store. Your best bet is to just call your local EB before heading down there and asking if the games you want to trade in are excluded or not. They can look it up in the computer and see what their values are. Oh, and technically no EB is supposed to take multiple copies of the same game, unless the employee has no idea what he's doing! If so, you got lucky!:) Anyway, hope that helps!

[quote name='peteyrose']EB only makes 100% profit on used games.[/quote]

They actually make a lot more than that. A lot of games that scan for 5 bucks or less will end up being sold for 17.99 or so; that's about a 250% markup. Preowns are where they have the biggest profit margins by far.

i don't get how you came to that conclusion hers how it worked fotr me;

after going to the eb's in a mall, i traded the following:
project gotham racing
gunvalkrie
burnout
star wars: the clone wars

the first 3 were orinally supposed to be $3 in trade, while star wars rang up $7, but because of the offer all four of them were bumped to $12.99, no the problem is that gunvalkrie is 11.99 used, so theirs a dollar loss on that game, while burnout is 9.99 used, a loss of 3 dollars there. face it eb's is getting royally srcewed buy this deal, but they'll continue with it because there lacking behind gamestop in # of trade ins.

Trust me, they're far from getting screwed on this or any other trade-in deal. They make so much on the vast majority of their used games that they can easily afford to take a $1 or $2 loss on a game here or there. But again, that's why managers can add games to the list that they feel aren't profitable for these trade-in promos.

[quote name='mikeb512']Trust me, they're far from getting screwed on this or any other trade-in deal. They make so much on the vast majority of their used games that they can easily afford to take a $1 or $2 loss on a game here or there. But again, that's why managers can add games to the list that they feel aren't profitable for these trade-in promos.[/quote]

Does that list vary by store? Will they give you a print out of the excluded games if you ask? I'm probably going to head over in a few hours and try my luck, but it would be useful to know if that's something they generally will do for you. TIA

As far as I know they don't have any printouts available, but they may let you write down what's excluded. The main exclusion list (assuming they still have one, it's been a few years since I worked there) should be exactly the same at each store since it would come from the main EB headquarters. However, individual managers are allowed to add titles to the list if they want, so you won't necessarily find the exact same games from one store to the other.

Ugh, thanks for the info. I actually talked to a guy on the phone yesterday and he mentioned the offer is not good with sports titles (already knew that) and anything on their exclusion list. When I asked him what was on that list he said, "It's really long." Yipe!

Kind of a pain that they won't give you a copy, but then I suppose the manager could add games at any time so a printed list could become outdated very quickly.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']i don't get how you came to that conclusion hers how it worked fotr me;

after going to the eb's in a mall, i traded the following:
project gotham racing
gunvalkrie
burnout
star wars: the clone wars

the first 3 were orinally supposed to be $3 in trade, while star wars rang up $7, but because of the offer all four of them were bumped to $12.99, no the problem is that gunvalkrie is 11.99 used, so theirs a dollar loss on that game, while burnout is 9.99 used, a loss of 3 dollars there. face it eb's is getting royally srcewed buy this deal, but they'll continue with it because there lacking behind gamestop in # of trade ins.[/quote]

EB isn't getting economically screwed on these promotions. They're using these promotions as purchasing leverage. The key thing that you need to remember that there is also a mark-up in the price of a new game. EB doesn't buy FF:CC for $50, they get it on a sliding scale, where the price can vary on the number and time that they order. Let's say that they get 4 games in that has a pre-owned floor price of $8 each, and that's basically saying that it was the equivilant of 4 copies of haven. They sell all 4 and get $32, BUT, since it was known that the copy of FF:CC was pre-sold and garunteed to leave inventory. The company is able to order 100,000 copies (using an arbitrary number), which puts them into a lower cost bracket (because of the economies of scale theory), and let's assume they get them for $32 each as opposed to $35 (both also arbitrary but use for example each). Lets say that 25,000 people took part in this promotion, and all used the 5 $8 selling price titles. One would assume that EB posted no profit at all by this promotion for these 25K people, however, these 25,000 garunteed piece moves, were able to lower the cost of 75,000 units by $225K. Assuming that all of the remaining copies from the initial order sell at initial cost, that $225K is profit because of the promotion.

This theory doesn't take into account higher value trade-in games, which is undoubtably going to happen, with possibilities of $180 of on-floor preowned sales value for trade in (4 high profile titles), along with games that go unclaimed, that would result in being sold, making for additional profit.

A promotion like this for select titles is fiscally prudent for EB, for the afforementioned reasons. It also provides goodwill to the client/customer base, allowing them to get more percieved "value".

...Couldnt said that better myself.

I have a problem saying afforementioned.

Hoenstly though, you really did hit the nail on the head of why thy do that. For every CAG giving them 4 crap games, theres bound to be 2-3 regular people exchanging quality games from christmas

[quote name='Wshakspear']
Hoenstly though, you really did hit the nail on the head of why thy do that. For every CAG giving them 4 crap games, theres bound to be 2-3 regular
people exchanging quality games from christmas[/quote]

Or at least some Hits series games that they could sell for $15-$18 each, and I would assume that is what they're really counting on. I just use the worst case scenario, and show how they can pull in a sizeable profit, now imagine if everything goes better than that. In the cases like this, they'll have $60-75 floor value of games that they're technically paying the cost of the trade in game. In a case such as this, and assume that it would be the most common case, EB is likely to more than double their profit by doing the trade in, as opposed to selling the new one outright.

Just back from the local EBX. Guy said he didn't even have a list of excluded games he could show me and that the list changes every day. Doh! I may try this with Red Faction II, Fuzion Frenzy, Freaky Flyers and one other? But I'm pretty sure at least one of those is going to be excluded. I'm assuming the SW/Tetris combo is gonna be a no go, right?

On the bright side I did pick up a copy of NBA Street Vol 2 for $20

bread's done
Back