New 80GB PS3 bundle with MGS4/DS3 in June - $499 (pre-order game for MGS Online BETA)

[quote name='NamPaehc']I don't know, how long will you keep the files on there? Once you are done with the game, wouldn't you remove the install space??[/quote]
That's what I do. I'm not sure how this even became that much of an issue.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's what I do. I'm not sure how this even became that much of an issue.[/quote]

I think maybe because console gamers aren't use to an install. PC users have had this for years.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think maybe because console gamers aren't use to an install. PC users have had this for years.[/quote]
Maybe, but I'm refering to the recent uprising of attention to the feature. It's not like PS3 games never did it before DMC4, as plenty have been doing it since the PS3's launch.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Maybe, but I'm refering to the recent uprising of attention to the feature. It's not like PS3 games never did it before DMC4, as plenty have been doing it since the PS3's launch.[/quote]

Well I am too.

This has been going on for a while, even prior to DMC. Every release with a HD install has been kind of leered at by the media and gamers.

Only reason I could think of is that people who used to play PS2/etc, and never experienced PC game installs are the ones not finding this appealing.

It is like, do you want shorter load times or don't you? :) I think the answer for everyone is yes. But we haven't really figure out what we think is a reasonable cost. Cost, to me comes in the form of lost of HD space, and lost time installing the game. Figuring out how much space and install time are reasonable is the key.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well I am too.

This has been going on for a while, even prior to DMC. Every release with a HD install has been kind of leered at by the media and gamers.

Only reason I could think of is that people who used to play PS2/etc, and never experienced PC game installs are the ones not finding this appealing.

It is like, do you want shorter load times or don't you? :) I think the answer for everyone is yes. But we haven't really figure out what we think is a reasonable cost. Cost, to me comes in the form of lost of HD space, and lost time installing the game. Figuring out how much space and install time are reasonable is the key.[/quote]
True. It's even more simple, since you don't need any keys to do it and you don't need to uninstall it at all, just delete the chunk of data and it's gone.

Yeah but why does the PS3 have to install a game to have load times that are equal to the load times of the 360 version that you dont have to install? I mean i dont mind installing it, but how can xbox 360 load the games faster than ps3?

Just for refrence, i read that DMC4 load times were about 2 seconds faster than 360 load times. But you dont need to install DMC4 on a 360.

[quote name='road3283']This is a great deal and the move surprises me too. Why would you basically give away one of your biggest games of the year? Especially when it's the software, not hardware, that makes you money. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for them.[/quote]

Well in order to sell software you need to sell hardware. Sony just want more PS3 in people homes so they will have more customer to sell software to. Just like the free razor blades. They give it away in hope that you will buy more replacement blades.

This bundle pisses me off only because I bought a 60 GB for the same price a few weeks ago.:p Though I would have loved a bundle with a game I'm a BC fan and couldn't bring myself to even buy the 80 GB Bundle w/ Motorstorm.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah but why does the PS3 have to install a game to have load times that are equal to the load times of the 360 version that you dont have to install? I mean i dont mind installing it, but how can xbox 360 load the games faster than ps3?

Just for refrence, i read that DMC4 load times were about 2 seconds faster than 360 load times. But you dont need to install DMC4 on a 360.[/QUOTE]

It also helped reduced load times whenthe screen was changing. I don't think its a situation where they couldn't do the game without an install. Insomniac said that Resistance 2 isn't going to have any mandatory install and that was totally a developer decision.

[quote name='road3283']This is a great deal and the move surprises me too. Why would you basically give away one of your biggest games of the year? Especially when it's the software, not hardware, that makes you money. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for them.[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you why.. Remember Wii Sports, its like the number one selling game in the US. Even though the game is bundled, whenever you buy the bundle it counts as a game sold. To the consumer its like getting a free game, however to Konami its just another game sold, and Sony picks up the tab. So inactuallity your purchase looks like this - PS3 440, MGS4 60.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah but why does the PS3 have to install a game to have load times that are equal to the load times of the 360 version that you dont have to install? I mean i dont mind installing it, but how can xbox 360 load the games faster than ps3?

Just for refrence, i read that DMC4 load times were about 2 seconds faster than 360 load times. But you dont need to install DMC4 on a 360.[/quote]
It doesn't, as it depends on the game and the developer. If they work hard/efficiently enough, it shouldn't really be much of a problem. Uncharted has literally no load times and install zilch on the HDD. Burnout Paradise is another example of that since it installs nothing but has no loads at any point in the game and it's the same for both systems. Those are efficiently made games and from what I played of the demo, it's loading quite frequently, which is more of an issue than the actual length of the load.

Why is everyone assuming that Sony wants to up MGS4 sales by bundling it with the PS3? When i saw it i figured they were trying to up PS3 sales by packaging one of the most anticipated games for the PS3 to make up for lost time.

Pack seems good value, I'm not that bothered about MGS4 but I'd rather have it than Motorstorm.

Also thanks to the person who posted about that Red Kratos PSP, I was thinking about getting the Star Wars white one but I'd much rather have Chain of Olympus than that Star Wars game.

I think this is a good move by Sony, they should get a lot of new PS3 owners from this.

Since Blu-Ray won, I am now in the market for a PS3, but I'm waiting for a console redesign. This bundle did make me rethink my strategy, but I'm still going to hold out.

If they are bundling MGS4 with every console, the price for a used copy is going to plummet. I can wait for a redesigned console and pick up a used copy of the game later.

[quote name='dallow']Import Dual Shock 3 controller purchase.

Justified.[/quote]

QFT, I got it cheaper that $55 shipped and the white one which won't be released here anytime soon.

So just pre-order MGS4 and I can pick up the MP beta? Also is it confirmed that a Collector's Edition of MGS4 will be released? If not, I'll just wait to swoop in on a used copy.

[quote name='Weedy649']Why is everyone assuming that Sony wants to up MGS4 sales by bundling it with the PS3? When i saw it i figured they were trying to up PS3 sales by packaging one of the most anticipated games for the PS3 to make up for lost time.[/QUOTE]

Everyone who wants MGS4 is going to buy one, there's going to be those that buy system just for the game as well. MGS4 is going to do well, but by putting in the box you not only sell PS3s you also sell more MGS4. Cause after the initial rush, evertime a PS3 sales, whether the person wants MGS4 or not... thats a MGS4 sell. Not everyone wanted Motorstorm, but technically when they bought the PS3, that was a Motorstorm sale. When you buy Ps3, basically your getting MGS4 for free. Sony needs MGS to do well.. If it doesn't do VERY well, PS3 won't see many more exclusives.

That is a really sick bundle. I think a lot of PS3s are going to get sold this way. With DS3 and BC, it looks to be a great deal.

[quote name='blueweltall']I thought they took BC out of all the model except the orginal 60gb and 20gb.[/quote]

They took a chip out that handled BC, and replaced it with software.

Which btw, is only capable of limited BC support on its own unless they come out with some serious updating.

[quote name='blueweltall']I thought they took BC out of all the model except the orginal 60gb and 20gb.[/quote]

They took the emotion engine out of the newer models. Which was hardware BC, the 80 gig is the only one with software emulation which isn't that great and has bugs.

[quote name='NamPaehc']They took a chip out that handled BC, and replaced it with software.

Which btw, is only capable of limited BC support on its own unless they come out with some serious updating.[/quote]

Oh so the 80gb is missing the emotion chip right?

When are they suppose to start taking pre orders on the bundle? More to the point is when is Sonystyle.com going to have this bundle up for pre order?

My biggest concern is if the bundle is a "limited edition" or if it'll be around as long as the Motorstorm bundle was around cause even though its a great deal for me....its still $500!
That's 75% of my video game budget for the year....

[quote name='nefaquotek']My biggest concern is if the bundle is a "limited edition" or if it'll be around as long as the Motorstorm bundle was around cause even though its a great deal for me....its still $500!
That's 75% of my video game budget for the year....[/quote]

So your gaming budget is exactly $666? :cool:

No, but hopefully I'll be able to convince some of my friends to buy a PS3 now...

[quote name='Unickuta']So your gaming budget is exactly $666? :cool:

No, but hopefully I'll be able to convince some of my friends to buy a PS3 now...[/quote]

Ja, no, I didnt add tax to the PS3, my budget is 720.

Though Amazon does usually offer free shipping and no tax...

After thinking about it a little more, maybe I'll pick this up if I can somehow get it in my gold box deal on Amazon. It'd be $475 with no tax and free shipping, then I could sell MGS4 and hopefully get $40 or so. So for a little more than the 40GB model I get a DS3 controller and a BC system. Not bad.

I guess the sonystyle.com deal would be an option too.

[quote name='aznguyen316']what is a gold box deal? I've heard of that a lot actually.[/quote]

It's a deal that shows up in your "Today's Deal" section on Amazon, and is based largely on past purchases and/or what's on your wish list. Anything that hits your Gold Box is 5% off Amazon's Price. So this bundle would be $25 off if it was in your Gold Box.

I was going to hold off getting a PS3, but I can't pass this deal up. Since a few months after MGS4 comes out Disgaea 3 will come out in the US.

Looks like I will be buying a PS3 in June, I figured they would come out with a new bundle with the Dual Shock 3 included. I'm only mildly interested in MGS4 after playing the first couple, but there is enough other games out (Uncharted, R&C, Resistance) that I think I'm ready to pick one up. Plus now that Blu Ray is the HD format, I might start picking up some HD movies.

Hopefully some stores will add something on top of the bundle.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I hope they don't make it a MGS4 themed system, though I am sure others would very much like a MGS4 themed system.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if it had the MGS font instead of the Spider-man one. For that Japanese scan with the ? over the blacked out Ps3 image, its probably there because it'll either come out in Black,White or possibly Satin Silver.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I hope they don't make it a MGS4 themed system, though I am sure others would very much like a MGS4 themed system.[/quote]

I wouldn't like an MGS4 themed system either.
Ceramic white would be lovely but only if they gave us an option.

I really want to get this bundle but even at $435 (cost without MGS4) for a PS3 it just A LOT OF MONEY.

I wish Sonystyle was doing that 150$ off again.......that'd be sweet.

SEEMS they are still doing the 100$...... with 12 months of no payments...... which is great cause I should have a job by then (I graduate next May).

Then again I'm going to be in Mexico from June-July, 4 years of waiting and it comes out in my vacation!!!!

I was actually all set to buy a 80gb PS3 last month but Amazon had it on backorder and every store in my area was out, even 40gb's were slim to none. So I gave up looking and decided to wait a bit. Very glad I did as I will be all over this bundle as soon as it goes up for pre-order/order from Amazon. They got a spot on Amazon for this bundle and will email me when it's available.

[quote name='aznguyen316']if the bundle is pre-ordered, can we still get the MGO beta?[/QUOTE]

I'll answer your question with a question

How would you play the beta?

[quote name='anomynous']I'll answer your question with a question

How would you play the beta?[/quote]
Maybe you are buying a second ps3? but that's unlikely, What I'd do is pre-order MGS4 in April when they are giving out the saga2.0 dvd's/beta codes, then cancel that and pre-order the system.

bread's done
Back