NEW auction site....alternative to EBAY

I...don't see anything in your signature?

EDIT: And don't expect to throw any sort of referral link in there. You will almost certainly get flamed.

Hey folks, normally, I don't like to be "that guy"... we all know them, the ones who sign up to Advertise on a forum/website, but I have been lurking a little bit thought like to hear about this. Plus, I wanted to chime in before nectarsis got too flamed for helping me out with a plug :)

My name is Jasen Hicks, and I am a video game collector. I post mostly over at Digital Press, and occasionally at PCEngineFX (since the purchase of my TG setup). A little more about me, I am a 26 year old Naval Officer by day and now a small business owner! Yikes!

About a month ago, I noticed eBay was starting to get on peoples nerves, mostly those in the circles that I chat with... the gamers. I thought to myself, "Hey! I am a decent webmaster, and have some knowledge on Video Games and such... maybe I can start an alternative to eBay!" So I posted up the idea over at DigitalPress and at PCEngineFX. Some people liked the idea, and some people said "Dont do it! It's going to fail! They always do!" But after many hours of cranking away at a business plan, investing in software, learning about setting up a business in Florida, and such I decided the risk was worth it and opened GAMEGAVEL.COM. I figure that if I can help people avoid eBay and cater to the community I love to be a part of, then ill be happy (as long as I can break even at a minimum!)

The original opening date was scheduled to be March 1, 2008. However, I got it to the point where I was comfortable that any bugs that arose I could fix them rather quickly and so GameGavel.com was opened on February 23, 2008 at NOON EST. Within 36 hours, I was completely awe-struck, and humbled at the same time. There were already 70+ users signed up and over 140 auctions!

Why is GameGavel different than eBay, and why should you use it? GameGavel.com has the DigitalPress seal of approval, Joe loves the idea and is backing it 100% both with his word and the ability to use the Rarity Guide (integration into the GameGavel site is coming soon!) Further, all auctions feature free basic insertions! I don't believe you should be charged to list an item, then be charged at the end when you sell it! If you upgrade beyond the basic listing, the fees are modest, and the Final Value Fees are lower than ebay every time! Additionally, everyone at GameGavel is just as passionate about Video Games as you are! I am trying to cultivate a Community Feel, by incorporating your feedback at all the sites you enjoy! When a person clicks your profile to look at your reputaiton, they have instant access to your DP Feedback, Cheap Ass Gamer Feedback, and more! People instantly know that you are a good seller/buyer/trader!

If you get a chance, please check it out! the URL is simple... http://www.GAMEGAVEL.com

I saw this on Gamesniped last night, I may start listing this summer when more people are on, Ill stick to Ebay for now.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']that rules. There are like three things on there? WTF. Might be good in the future but pretty slack at the moment[/quote]

Actually, there are 103 users and over 150 auctions. The site opened Saturday February 23, so I think its off to a good start. As for the person that said the site sucks because he didn't receive the confirmation eMail, maybe try your spam folder. After all, it is a new site that you never received emails from before.

[quote name='karmapolice']Is this message cheapyd approved? If not I would PM him before promoting your website.[/quote]

co-sign.

didnt get my conframation email either cheked bulk too . also seeing how this is cag and your promoting ur site how about a promo code or something?

The people at DP are great. I'm glad the rarity guide will be implemented. The one major flaw I see, is that everyone passionate about games, know going prices. I use eBay rarely, but when I do, it's to snag a deal from some sucker, who doesn't know what he's got for sale. This would work better as a trading site, or if all gamers were loaded.

I hope I'm wrong, and your site propels past fad webdom. Grats on your adventures, and may your service please many.

:)

Well, since this is CAG... let be sure to tell you of the free $2.50 credit you get towards selling when you sign up :) And since there are no insertion fees, this is a great deal.

troll_tracka... please submit an email on the contact us page, and I will gladly check the emails (I get BCC on them all, so I can tell if they were sent or not). Thanks!

if you want an alternative to ebay, try amazon marketplace. Or goozex. or gametz. It will be difficult if nigh impossbible for any other auction site to work

Also, just wanted to mention the contest going on right now. If you sell 5 things on GameGavel between now and March 30th, account is paid up to date, and you have positive feedback you are automatically entered into a contest to win a Boxed NES system... Free!

[quote name='Dragon Warrior Jasen']Also, just wanted to mention the contest going on right now. If you sell 5 things on GameGavel between now and March 30th, account is paid up to date, and you have positive feedback you are automatically entered into a contest to win a Boxed NES system... Free![/quote]

I contacted you through the contact us page about me not receiving my confirmation email. Let me know when it's resolved.

[quote name='FeNoM91']I contacted you through the contact us page about me not receiving my confirmation email. Let me know when it's resolved.[/QUOTE]

X2

I have re-deployed all activation emails to those who have not yet verified their email address.

I have received a copy of every activation email that has been sent, so I know they are going out properly. That being said, you may need to check bulk mail folders or junk mail folders for your confirmation emails. When my wife signed up, who uses yahoo, she had her email in the junk mail folder.

Hey everyone, I thought it was a good time to revisit the thread and give everyone an update.

Currently, we have 146 users and some auctions up.

A few new things about the website though:

1. Currently we have a contest that you can win an NES (boxed). May be a bit late now to join up and try and win but the next contest is coming immediately after the NES Contest and it is for a new Game for any current generation system simply for becoming a verified seller!

2. We have implemented a new referral and commission system. Every person you refer gets you a sellers credit for your auctions! Every time someone that you refer sells something, you get a commission from the final value fees they pay gamegavel.com. That's cold hard cash in your pocket!

Other new things include a reviews and guides system, quick mass feedback system, and more!

[quote name='magiic']is this site open to Canadians?[/QUOTE]

I am not from Canada, but I know that could be a huge benefit to your site if it will work. Good question magiic.

Site is open to everyone worldwide! I am currently stationed in Italy and i know europeans LOVE buying from the US because the dollar is so low!

Please sign up and buy/sell! Qualify for the contests, earn money, earn sellers credit, and enjoy yourselves!

Just a quick update regarding the site:

The DP Rarity Guide has now been integrated into the software. You can now link your auction to the famous DP Rarity Guide!

Also, the winner of the NES has been announced via YouTube video on the site. You can login at www.gamegavel.com to see the winner and the announcements!

Finally, the next contest is underway. Become a verified seller and you can win a game of your choice for any current generation console! (Value < $60).

Thanks for taking a look.

And, check my signature for a referral link. When you sign up using that link, I get a small credit to my sellers account and so do you! See the site for more details on the Referral System and how you can earn cash!

What does GameGavel.com offer you, and why should you use it?

1. No insertion fees for your auctions! Buy Out, Reserve Price, Pictures, and insertion fees based on starting price do not exist at GameGavel! List your auction for free, and relist it for free if it does not sell. Upgrade options are available for a small fee.

2. Final Value Fees are low, as low as 1% based on the Final Price of the Auction!

3. **NEW** Full Integration with the Digital Press Rarity Guide! Help potential buyers get the most information regarding a game you are selling by providing a direct link to the DP Rarity Guide fast and easy!

4. Contests! Game Gavel is the only game auction site where you can win something every month! Last month we gave away a Boxed NES! (See the Video on the front page!) This month you can win a new game of your choice! See the website for more details.

5. Intuitive Referral system! For every new member you refer to GameGavel.com you earn credit towards your sellers account! When someone you refer sells something at GameGavel.com you earn money in your pocket! The more they sell, the more you make! When you get to $50, you get a check or a paypal deposit!

6. A true community. Are you new to GameGavel but not to buying/selling/trading online and have feedback at other sites (such as Cheap Ass Gamer)? Add it to your profile for everyone to see! When someone clicks your feedback number, all of your feedback links are listed there too!

Here is the link to GameGavel.com (which is an example of the referral system as well):

Will sign up under any CAG's name so you get referral credit.... interested in checking out the site! I love the option of trading in a game to get the one in auction. :)

[quote name='hawkhogan']Will sign up under any CAG's name so you get referral credit.... interested in checking out the site! I love the option of trading in a game to get the one in auction. :)[/quote]

Hawk,

Thats what its all about! Gamers helping Gamers, and options that only GameGavel has!

Jasen

Today, I made the tough decision to part ways with Google Ads and using them as a source of advertising for GameGavel.com.

Unfortunately, the value vs. return for you (the user) and myself (the owner) was not very good. I am 100% driven to ensure that all of your auctions get the attention they deserve, and as such I have decided to lanuch a more targeted and poignient campaign with image banners at various gaming websites only.

This targeted approach will ensure that the right people are getting to see GameGavel and then seeing your auctions when the visit the site.

Keep an eye out on the website, for the latest video coming to the front page of GameGavel for the most exciting news to date! Let's just say that one lucky person will could be a lot richer in the future!

Thanks for everyone's support so far and your patience while GameGavel grows!

Ok Guys and Gals... if you are a member of GameGavel, you got this in your email! If you aren't yet.... prepare to be excited!

GameGavel.com is proud to announce it’s new fee structure to make it the number one choice for online video game auctions. After careful consideration, research, and discussions we have decided to remove ALL fees for basic auction listings at GameGavel.com. As you already know, there were no insertion fees for your auctions which gave you a leg up on eBay and other auction sites. Now, we are happy to tell you that we are no longer charging ANY final value fees either! Your auctions are now completely free. If you wish to make your auctions stand out more than others, you can add upgrade options for a nominal but low fee still. These upgrades include: bolded items, highlighted items, category featured items, and home page featured items.

How are we doing this? You may notice the small ads on the right side of the main site. They are there to help ensure that GameGavel.com remains a free service to the video game community but supplementing the cost to run the site and make improvements! If you appreciate the freedom to sell without fees, please visit the sponsors by clicking their ads.

Do you want to have a store at GameGavel.com? Well, that is available too! For a new low price of only $5/month you can have your very own online store! Your store will benefit from no insertion or final value fees, customization potential, and 1000 items at a time that can be listed as auctions and store items, or store only items!

Start selling today by signing in and verifying your account if you haven’t already! There is no reason to not sell on GameGavel.com any more!

Please remember on May 1, 2008 the second contest at GameGavel.com will close and the winner will be announced via YouTube video on the front page again. Here is a reminder of the rules: Verify Your account before May 1 and you will be entered to win a new game of your choice for any current generation console! A $60 value.... Free!

I also want to take the time to announce the biggest event at GameGavel.com or any online auction site as well: You can win $500 by being a verified seller! That’s right... $500 cash in your pocket! When GameGavel.com reaches its 1000 verified user benchmark, we will put all of the names in a hat (or bag, which ever will fit all of the names easiest) and draw ONE out. That lucky person will receive $500 from GameGavel.com.

There hasn’t been a better time to join the fun at GameGavel.com. In order for the site to be a success we need all of your help. Tell your friends, family, and anyone who will listen about GameGavel.com! The more people that sign up the better the community will become and the closer we will be to the big drawing for $500!

Thanks!

Jasen Hicks
Owner, GameGavel.com

Just a couple days left for this months contest... visit the site today to register and verify to be eligible to win!

www.gamegavel.com

And, have you seen the Banners from GameGavel listed here at CAG? I want to thank CheapyD for working with me and getting the Ads setup at a great price!

Yesterday, GameGavel added a new feature that no other Video Game Auction Site offers! A bulk lister! Now you can easily create and add all of your auctions at one time.

I will continue forward with my commitment to bring you the best features of a big time auction site, with the FREEdom of selling your items to fellow game enthusiasts!

Jasen

PS... there are a lot of GOOD deals for all you cheap ass gamers out there too!

I just signed up to this (the "no insertion fees for normal style auctions" was a big draw for me, more so than the "no final value fee") and verified my account.

For the April contest, are all verified members entered, or only those that verified in April?
If the "Verified Sellers" progress bar is accurate, I've a pretty good chance of winning the free game.

M,

All verified sellers are eligible to win! The progress bar is only different than the actual number by 3-4. I update the bar on Sunday. That being said, its still good odds for your chance to win!

Today is the LAST day for verification to be eligible to win the free game!

Jasen

Just a heads up. The second contest at GameGavel.com is closing for eligibility tomorrow (all people registered and verified by noon EST will be eligible)! By verifying your sellers account, you are entered for a chance to win a game of your choice for a current generation console of your choice. A $60 Value Free! You will also be automatically entered in the $500 contest as well. When we get to 1000 verified sellers at GameGavel.com I will be giving $500 to one of them!

Let the Gavel Fall!

Jasen

I have a question...
When I signed up I picked the name of a fellow CAG to use as a referrer (and sent said person a PM here so he'd know to "authorize" me as a referral)... Now in the members area it shows I'm being referred by a completely different person. What's up with that?

This month's contest, where you could win a new game of your choice, for any next generation console ($60 value) went very well! There was a last push of new users duing the last few days to get the number of verified sellers up, and there were 47 eligible users when I drew the name.

Without further ado, I am happy to announce "bangtango" as the winner of this month's contest! He won any game of his choice for any next-generation console of his choice! Everyone give him a big round of applause!

With the end of this contest, I have to announce the next contest! This one will be called the 5-5-5 contest where you can be entered up to three times to win! All you have to do is complete, any or all of the following to be eligible:

1. Refer 5 new users

2. Sell 5 items

3. Buy 5 items

All within the May-June 2008 timeframe! If you do one, you are entered once! If you complete 2, you are entered twice! And if you complete all three.... you guessed it! You are entered Three times to win! The next lucky winner will receive a brand new Nintendo DS! Perfect for the beach, pool, or those long summer road trips!

Finally, don't forget about the $500 contest. When we have 1000 verified users at GameGavel.com I will give one of them $500! To get to that benchmark, I need all of your help though! Make sure you buy, sell, and visit often! The more traffic the better resource GameGavel.com becomes!

Just a couple of new features for April:

1. Added Feedback Sections: Shumps, 2D Gaming, Goozex, and a unlabled "Other"

2. Bulk Listing Software for the folks with a lot to sell!

3. No more Final Value Fees!

4. Weekly Newsletters for Featured Auctions and those ending soon!

5. Better Safari Compatibility!

Thank you for your continued support of GameGavel.com! Let the Gavel Fall!

www.gamegavel.com

It sure has been busy this weekend at GameGavel.com!

We have added quite a few new features that will make everyone's experience that much better when using this FREE video game auction site!

1. Categories, Categories, Categories! Thats right, we added a lot. There are a heck of a lot of gaming systems out there.

2. Listing Designer! Make your auctions stand out, and be FUN! Add a creative theme to your auction and impress potential buyers!

3. Watchers Anyone? Now you can see exactly how many people are watching your auctions within your Members Area! See how many people are waiting to get into a last minute bidding war!

4. Weekly Auction Newsletters! Every week, GameGavel.com will be sending a newsletter out to its users to inform them of the Featured Auctions and those ending soon! This will help maximize your coverage.

Stay tuned, we are adding new features all the time. Committing ourselves to excellent features, going above and beyond!

Let the Gavel Fall!

Jasen

bread's done
Back