New Best Buy Policy?

andjuan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So last night I was at my local Best Buy with my girlfriend. We were playing with the iPods not looking like we needed any help or anything (I was actually explaining some of the differences between the models to my girlfriend) when a sales rep came up. The conversation went like this:

Sales Rep: So what are you two doing?
Me: Umm. We're just looking thanks. (I turn around to continue looking at the iPods)
Sales Rep: Well, can I get your name?
Me: Umm. Why do you need my name?
Sales Rep: It's a new store policy.

I told him my first name and he went on to give me the speech about no comissions, etc.

Has anybody else had this experience or did my local Best Buy just hire a creep? He really did make my girlfriend and I feel a bit uncomfortable to be there. It kind of felt like he was about accuse me of trying to steal or something. My guess is he was just an awkward salesman, but just wanted to get everybody's thoughts.

I've had that happen, too. A new Best Buy opened near where I live in February. When I went in for the first time shortly after it opened, I was looking around at the mice and keyboards (like you, I also wasn't looking like I needed help) when a sales rep came up, introduced himself, and shook my hand, asking for my first name.

We talked for a few minutes, then he let me get back to looking. We weren't talking directly about any specific products, just about building computers in general, so I was surprised he had time to stop and chat for a few minutes without getting to a sales pitch.

I thought it was a bit odd, but I didn't mind it at all. The sales rep was really friendly and wasn't pushy or anything. I didn't feel like I had to hurry up with what I was doing and move on to something else. I was telling my wife about it, and she suggested that maybe it was something they were doing to bring in new customers because the store had just opened. Maybe it is a new policy.

[quote name='andjuan']He really did make me girlfriend and I feel a bit uncomfortable to be there.[/quote]So, are you a pirate or a leprechaun?

I've a had a few cases where the salespeople would introduce themselves, including handshake, and of course the reflex is to introduce yourself as well. Knowing someone's name makes them more of a person, and theoretically harder to say "no" or be rude to. Haven't had this happen on a widespread basis at BB yet. Now to think of a list of entertaining names....
If it's a salesperson being friendly and helpful and trying to put a more personal face on the store and customers, fine; if it is, and is described as, a new policy, that's annoying.

Its very much true as a matter of fact. They are no longer allowed to do "drive bys" (Things like "Can I help you?" while they are working through the department).

Its supposed to be "customercentricity"

If I have my wife's manual floating around here, I can scan it to show you guys the exact steps they are supposed to do when greeting customers.

[quote name='terribledeli']Its supposed to be "customercentricity"[/quote]Oh great. Maybe they can "touch base with me" about how "synergy" will "drive product through the consumer portal" while we "do lunch" at Chilis.

I hate corporatese.

[quote name='dtcarson']I've a had a few cases where the salespeople would introduce themselves, including handshake, and of course the reflex is to introduce yourself as well. Knowing someone's name makes them more of a person, and theoretically harder to say "no" or be rude to. Haven't had this happen on a widespread basis at BB yet. Now to think of a list of entertaining names....
If it's a salesperson being friendly and helpful and trying to put a more personal face on the store and customers, fine; if it is, and is described as, a new policy, that's annoying.[/quote]

Yeah. That would not have been nearly as awkward. It was just strange since I gave him the standard leave me alone "We're just looking" answer and he followed up with "Can I have your name?" No introduction or anything.

yeah i just recently quit best buy because i wouldnt go along with this. its a joke. you wouldnt believe how many pissed off customers i had that left and said they could go somewhere else and not be interogated.

If you want them to leave you alone when youre just looking around, you should act like you actually need there help. They will avoid you like the plague.

[quote name='andjuan']
Sales Rep: Well, can I get your name?

I told him my first name and he went on to give me the speech about no comissions, etc.

Has anybody else had this experience or did my local Best Buy just hire a creep? He really did make my girlfriend and I feel a bit uncomfortable to be there. It kind of felt like he was about accuse me of trying to steal or something. My guess is he was just an awkward salesman, but just wanted to get everybody's thoughts.[/quote] This happened to me yesterday at Best Buy with the afformentioned handshake after I checked out...

[quote name='ig88vsbobafett']If any one asks Im batman :)[/quote]
If that's the case, just say you can't give your name cause it'll compromise your secret identity.:roll:

Getting serious, this has to be a awful policy that will make customers avoid the employees more so they won't be asked 50 questions.

The Best Buy I go to regularly know who I am....I'll ask them about it and if one of their new guys ask me for my name, "I'll play along" and won't tell him that I'm Axl Rose and nobody knows I'm a lesbian

Sounds like they're becoming like Safeway. Where I work we have to always thank by last name, and even ask them just so it seems like we're nice. I find it more of a invasion of privacy. Like I'm some creepy dude trying to stalk these people. I'm sure the Best Buy employees don't give a shit what your name is and neither do I. Just give them a fake name or ignore them.

[quote name='Thongsy']I'm sure the Best Buy employees don't give a shit what your name is and neither do I.[/QUOTE]

Oh, they don't. But the management does. Before my wife quit, her new GM had his head so far up SOP's, he'd force an employee to apologize to the customer if they did not follow the "name - handshake - no comissions" speech. Which I imagine is completely fucking awkward for both employee and customer alike.

[quote name='michaema']If you want them to leave you alone when youre just looking around, you should act like you actually need there help. They will avoid you like the plague.[/quote]
This

The last time I was in there doing anything other than looking, I had to say in a forceful voice (somewhere between speaking and yelling). I'm about to spend $800 before they'd look twice at me. I ended up going somewhere else.

Oh man, I am totally going to say "Call me Snake" if a BB employee asks.

And then when the employee calls me Snake, I'll say "Call me Plissken."

I was just in there today. A guy asked me if i needed help with anything, i said no and kept on moving. The key is to walk past them as quickly as possible.

I work at a Best Buy and you aren't supposed to ask for their names, you're supposed to try and establish a relationship.
Exchanging names helps, he took it a bit far though.

So what reason do the employees have to be so friendly (besides being told they have to be)? They are not on commission, but are they rated based on their sales? I've always wondered this, anyone know?

I am not too sure but I think Radio Shack made us do this when I use to work for them 4 years ago. None of us liked doing this and after the first week, we all gave up and stopped asking.

The whole point is to make you feel comfortable when dealing with an employee. Corporate plans is to have the employee build a one on one basic relationship with the customer. That way when the add ons and extended warranties are offered, there is a greater chance that you will buy from someone you know VS someone you don't know. After you spend all that money, the next week that same employee you gave your name to won't know who the fuck you are. This stuff usually works in smaller stores, but not big stores like best buy.

Were encouraged at Sears (in electronics) to get to "know" the customer and exchange names with the fake handshake and all that. I do that maybe like 1 out of every 50 customers I deal with. I really think its more awkward for both parties so I really avoid it unless they seem like the type of person who's into that. I usually just approach with "Do you have any questions?" or "Is there anything I can help you with?", I know it's not the best salesman approach but it gives you a good idea as to whether they are going to buy something, don't want to be helped at all (The angry "NO, just looking thanks!"), or are still undecided.

Its part of there SOP(the contact part of the sales, we dont say anything about no commission unless they ask), dont get me wrong its awkward as hell, but at the same time, it does help. Its not a sales issue its a customer employee relationship issue, I now get people who I know and help out regularly who trust my opinion on games.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']So what reason do the employees have to be so friendly (besides being told they have to be)? They are not on commission, but are they rated based on their sales? I've always wondered this, anyone know?[/quote]

It's because if we establish a relationship, supposedly the custromer will continue to visit the Best buy and buy all or most their merchandise there.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']It's because if we establish a relationship, supposedly the custromer will continue to visit the Best buy and buy all or most their merchandise there.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Does more sales = more promotions for each employee, or is it limited to just something they have to do?

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Thanks for the info. Does more sales = more promotions for each employee, or is it limited to just something they have to do?[/quote]
Nah, no promotions unless it becomes really signifigant I guess.
They've got us working alot on establishing a relationship.

this reminds me of a time i was at circuit city
pretty much, me and maybe 5 other friends walked into the store,
and were all just looking around
we sorta seperated, seeing that we were buying different things
me and a buddy noticed that 3-4 employees were watching us
they kept walking up and asking if we needed help

anyways, i found the cd i was looking for, and decided to look for my other friends
the same friend i was with noticed that people sorta followed us
we thought it'd be funny if we walked around this one isle to see if they'd keep going around with us
they actually did xP
after about 3 mins walking around the same isle, finally one of them asked if they could hold on to the CD and take it up to the register for us
i said ok, then went to pick up the same CD and taking it to the register
another one comes up to me and asks if they can take it up as well
i told them i was on my way to the register, then all of the sudden the store manager walks up to me
he asks me to leave, and i ask if i can at least make the purchase before i leave
he tells me no, then tells me if he us in the store again, he'll call the police

anyways, i refused to walk into that store again
i hate it when the employees act as if you are stealing their shit

happens to me all the time
every time i'm in one of these stores, they'll ask "do you have any questions"
like if i had a question, i'd come up to one of you and ask xP

anyways, sorry for the long story :p

[quote name='guyinga']The Best Buy I go to regularly know who I am....I'll ask them about it and if one of their new guys ask me for my name, "I'll play along" and won't tell him that I'm Axl Rose and nobody knows I'm a lesbian[/quote]

They know who I am at my local BB's too, I'm the guy who just blows right past everyone and heads for the guide/game sections to look for pennied guides or cheap games. I swear, I should've went to Party City and bought a pair of devil horns to go with the shirt I should wear that'd act like an invisible force field around me that says 'Devil Customer'.

And, like most others, I have also dealt with the usual problem of not being able to find someone when you actually NEED someone to ask a question about something you're actually looking for. It's like the employees just disappear when you actually NEED help, but are a royal pita when you don't.

Oh and some other suggestions for names to give:

Hugh G. Rection(say it fast)
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
etc
etc

I mean, here's an even better ploy. If the employee is a total pita and keeps trying to force ya into the 'personal relationship' bs, then POUR IT ON once you give them your name. Start talking to them about the most inane shit, bore them to death, make them want to regret asking you your name. If you do that, then you'll find that 'friend' will want to leave in the quickest manner possible.

If you are a girl, use bond girl names or Austin power girl names.

Bond Girls:
Pussy Galore
Xenia Onatopp
Holly Goodhead

Austin Power Girls:
Alotta Fagina
Felicity Shagwell
Ivana Humpalot

Customer Service Manual

Watch the customer come through the door. Note personal things about them, like whether or not they wear certain brands, if they looked at any of the front stands of merchandise, and the various interactions they have before they reach you. Bring up each of these in sequential detail.

Gain vital personal information. Even a soldier in a time of war gives up name, rank and serial number. All employees are required to gain the same information from any customer, or else they will be required to report to the central committee for reprogramming.

Compliment them profusely on anything they do, and offer suggestions for personal improvement. Customers love it when you notice little minutae about them, including the smells of soaps, perfumes and colognes that may or may not waft off of them, and minor criticisms designed to improve their posture and other characteristics and mannerisms.

Make it clear you aren't on commission. Nothing makes overly dedicated customer service more welcome than removing the only rational reason for providing it.

Assume every customer needs help. If someone makes a beeline for a product, picks it up, and heads straight for the checkout, intercept them and make sure all their questions are answered about what they've chosen. If they have no questions, answer the questions you feel they should be asking. If they already know the answers, suggest other items that go along with what they're purchasing, and answer questions about those.

When some BB guy wanted to shake my hand, i faked a sneeze into my hand. he didn't bother me after that.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']this reminds me of a time i was at circuit city
pretty much, me and maybe 5 other friends walked into the store,
and were all just looking around
we sorta seperated, seeing that we were buying different things
me and a buddy noticed that 3-4 employees were watching us
they kept walking up and asking if we needed help

anyways, i found the cd i was looking for, and decided to look for my other friends
the same friend i was with noticed that people sorta followed us
we thought it'd be funny if we walked around this one isle to see if they'd keep going around with us
they actually did xP
after about 3 mins walking around the same isle, finally one of them asked if they could hold on to the CD and take it up to the register for us
i said ok, then went to pick up the same CD and taking it to the register
another one comes up to me and asks if they can take it up as well
i told them i was on my way to the register, then all of the sudden the store manager walks up to me
he asks me to leave, and i ask if i can at least make the purchase before i leave
he tells me no, then tells me if he us in the store again, he'll call the police

anyways, i refused to walk into that store again
i hate it when the employees act as if you are stealing their shit

happens to me all the time
every time i'm in one of these stores, they'll ask "do you have any questions"
like if i had a question, i'd come up to one of you and ask xP

anyways, sorry for the long story :p[/quote]

That's because a group coming in together, then spreading apart to split the employees attention, is a very popular shoplifting strategy.

Yeah, that employee must be new. Either that or the GM was newly pushing the CARE+ thing that might have been lax before. Though I and my fellow agents were drilled on this procedure by our senior, at least it was an expected customer interaction. I didn't have to hunt down people to talk to. As part of the Geek Squad, they came to me and we had a reason to converse and get to know them better.

To make matters more fun, we actually sometimes were required to fill out a form that quizzes us on the customer's name, their customer type group, what they were looking for, and things they didn't know they were looking for. If you're not a good people-person or conversationalist, it really can become a horrible exchange.

If someone makes a beeline for a product, picks it up, and heads straight for the checkout, intercept them and make sure all their questions are answered about what they've chosen.
lol, sounds like me. But I do not like this approach. If I want help, I'll ask.

bread's done
Back