New Blockbuster policy, effective 10/6/09

drbutchevil

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Just rented 2 games from BBY (I use coke rewards coupons), and was told that effective tomorrow, 10/6/09, game rental policy is changing. They are still 5 day rentals, however keeping them past the 5 days is $1 per day up to 10 days when you then own the game. Movies are also changing, you now only have 20 days beyond the due date to return it for a refund of the cost for "owning" it. Just a heads up for those who rent things and like to keep em a day, or a week after their due date. As always this may be YMMV, might have even already started for your store, who knows.

This will probably be another step towards bankruptcy for them. It's just going to drive more customers away. The new game policy is crap, I mean you're already paying $7.99 for 5 days. For that price, it should at least be a week.

[quote name='tangytangerine']This will probably be another step towards bankruptcy for them. It's just going to drive more customers away. The new game policy is crap, I mean you're already paying $7.99 for 5 days. For that price, it should at least be a week.[/QUOTE]

Its $8.99 here, which is why I use the Coke Rewards coupons (rent 1, get 1) so it works out to less than $5 per game.

That's a really dumb policy because someone could rent a game like Uncharted 2 next week or Halo 3 ODST for $7.99, pay $1 a day after the due date and own the game for $17.99.

At that price, they are pretty much giving away games.

[quote name='guyinga']That's a really dumb policy because someone could rent a game like Uncharted 2 next week or Halo 3 ODST for $7.99, pay $1 a day after the due date and own the game for $17.99.

At that price, they are pretty much giving away games.[/QUOTE]

uhhhhh what?

[quote name='dastly75']uhhhhh what?[/QUOTE]

That's how I interpreted it, if that's wrong then what is the OP trying to say?

[quote name='guyinga']That's a really dumb policy because someone could rent a game like Uncharted 2 next week or Halo 3 ODST for $7.99, pay $1 a day after the due date and own the game for $17.99.

I think the way it works is, you "own" the game, but they take the daily charges of the $1 off the retail price of the game and charge you the difference. You don't get a new release for $17.

[quote name='xbox_mole']I think the way it works is, you "own" the game, but they take the daily charges of the $1 off the retail price of the game and charge you the difference. You don't get a new release for $17.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think they charge the full price on top of the rental and daily charges, not sure, never had it happen.

The only thing you could hope for is that it glitches the way the Blu-Ray's did and show on the receipt, keep it for $0.00 more. And then if they try to charge you the rest show them the receipt saying you didn't have to pay any more to keep it.

This is one reason people turn to piracy. Honest customers don't like it when the companies treat them like crap.

But I don't see why you'd need to keep a game out that long anyway. Most modern titles can be beaten in a single sitting.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']That's how I interpreted it, if that's wrong then what is the OP trying to say?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xbox_mole']I think the way it works is, you "own" the game, but they take the daily charges of the $1 off the retail price of the game and charge you the difference. You don't get a new release for $17.[/QUOTE]

xbox_mole is correct, they have been doing it this way for some time and I do not believe this new policy is any different.

[quote name='dastly75']xbox_mole is correct, they have been doing it this way for some time and I do not believe this new policy is any different.[/QUOTE]

The key difference is, in my area at least, the $1 per day fee is new.

[quote name='Diosoth']This is one reason people turn to piracy. Honest customers don't like it when the companies treat them like crap.

But I don't see why you'd need to keep a game out that long anyway. Most modern titles can be beaten in a single sitting.[/QUOTE]

You just can't stop talking about being a pirate? This site is about getting deals on games. You know, paying for them?:roll:

[quote name='V Gundam']You just can't stop talking about being a pirate? This site is about getting deals on games. You know, paying for them?:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yes, seriously. Please shut up about piracy. We get it. You're cool. You steal stuff. And "most" games cannot be beaten in one sitting, unless you define a sitting as 5+ hours. Most people I know have lives and don't have 5+ consecutive hours to sit down and play games.

Wow...just wow.

This is not nationwide, yet. Some stores have different policies. If you're unfortunate enough to be in the testing market, then it's going to affect you. At least that's what I read on the communications update we got at my store.

For those of you who are confused, here's how it works.

Rent a game for $8.99 + tax; 5 day rental
Each day after the due date is $0.99 + tax extra.
If you keep it for 10 days past the due date, you get charged $9.90 + tax
On the 11th day you get charged for the selling price of the game. Selling price = used price. Sometimes the charge happens on the 10th day though.
After you get charged, you have 10 days to return it before the game is yours to keep and we can't reverse the sale.

It sucks, I know... BBV should at least make the video game rentals $1 /day, but I guess they are too stupid to understand that. $7+tax for 7 days is much better than $9 + tax for 5 days.

What surprises me the most about this is that we haven't had many people bitch about this yet. We've told every customer that rents a game that we changed our policy and about 95% of the time the customer just responds with a "oh ok" and rents the game anyway.

Wow.

Read the receipt. I bet it says for $XX.XX extra you can own it. That will be the fee they charge your credit card on top of rental fees. Blockbuster receipts always have that information for whatever your renting.

I just rented MWF2 for PS3 and the receipt says "Own it for $59.99 more"! So, on top of the $8.99 rental and the five $1 fees for keeping it past the initial rental period, it mounts to $74 +tax. That's insane!!

bread's done
Back