New California law for cashing in Gift Certificates

Couldn't someone then just take a 50 dollar gift card and buy a bunch of less then 10 dollar gift cards, and then cash those in?

Possibly if you have store credit, you might be able to transfer it to GC but I'm wondering if stores will let you make them for $9.99? I'll try it at Game Crazy.

[quote name='magiic']most places will not let you use a giftcard to purchase gift cards[/quote]

i tried to do this yesterday at gs/eb. i have around 100 credit on my edge card but want to give away 20$ gift cards as secret santa gifts but they wouldnt do it for me. a few weeks ago i was able to do it though, maybe its just ymmv

If I'm not mistaken in California it is legal to cash out any amount of gift card. At least we were told that when I worked at Circuit. Most places are hesitant because they're going to lose a sale, but what can they do if it's the law? Like I said that was my understanding and it's been quite a few years since then, but my guess is that your average employee wouldn't be able to do this for you. Heck, some managers might not even know how.

Soo... Has anyone tried this out? I have a $5 Best Buy one(got it with that NDS - Jam Sessions for $19.99 deal) I'd like to cash out.

hm, for gamestop, could a workaround be buying a game (or two), then returning it and asking for multiple giftcards in $10 amounts or so? anyways, thanks for the info, OP! it'll come in handy down the line, i'm sure...

bread's done
Back