New car in college campus, what are your experiences

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
My parents decided that they would feel better if I had a new car for my 225 mile trip from college to home. My current car, 96 Acura 3.2TL, runs fine and all but it's got 117K miles on it and has shown some probably due to poor maintenance from previous owners (we're the third or fourth owners).

They're wanting to get me something in the 15K range which gives me a few decent options although I'd rather keep my 3.2TL (it's an amazing car if you've ever driven one). But nothings final yet.

What I'm scared about is having a new car at Purdue (West Lafayette, IN), especially since we're considered a pretty rowdy school. Hell, one of our mascots' name is Rowdy.:lol:

So, I'd like to what peoples experiences have been with news or just nice cars on campus.

You could always transfer to IU thus solving the problem.

Just find a newer 200ish Acura with 50k miles, or if you really like your current car take it into a mechainic, when you live 250 miles from home it isn't total hell if your car breaks down on the trip.

If you get one, don't bitch when you get the inevitable dent from some hick who didn't bother to leave information. Or at least, bitch, but know you were told prior. :p

'Cuz chances are it'll happen.

If I was in your shoes, I would look at something conservative yet economical and reliable and NEW. My top picks would be something like a Yaris, Corollla, Fit, Civic, Element, Scion, Focus, .... I would just get the upper end model and try and get as many options as possible to make it a more enjoyable and fun ride, yet still has the nice gas mileage. This is just my opinion though. I have a buddy at work who scoffs at my suggestions for such a car (he's shopping for one now).

I saw a Fit up close the other day, it was realy nice. I want one.

Dodge Caliber. It starts at 14K but it looks pretty bad ass. I just rented one a couple weeks ago and it's the perfect car for a college campus. It doesn't have the most power but it's good for city driving. It's got nice head room also if you're around six foot tall.

id go with a year or 2 old certified used car, cheaper and still reliable. I got my 2003 Civic in 2004 for around 12k, it runs perfectly

My friend got a new Camry and nothing has happened to it outside of what he's done himself (although it did get egged, but who knows who did that).

New car in a high school parking lot will get scratched. I wouldn't expect any less from college.

LOL I just graduated from FSU #6 party school as per playboy where my car was subjected to drunkards, football crowds, and freshman drivers...your car should be fine, mine got a few dings from doors and assholes who parked too close...but a word of advice, never leave it in the mass parking garage...we had more breakins and vandalism in the damn garages than leaving it in a lot, 11 cars on one of the floors all had slashed tires and were all parked next to each other

I drive a TL as well, (2000). I say keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off. People have no respect for anyone else's vehicle, no matter how nice or how shitty the car is. You'll get more dings on a new car than you probably have total on your older car now.

Just don't get a high profile car. My new corolla was left alone until I started doing stuff to it (it got keyed the day after I got 17" Enkei rims...). b3b0p named some good economical cars (although civics tend to get stolen around here a lot...). Get a car with good gas mileage so that you can "save" money as a college student.

I got to a very small college (500 people live on campus) and my car was still targeted once.

Someone placed piles of twigs all over my roof, so before an ice-storm they all froze to the top of the car :roll: It seemed so pointless...ah well

I dont even have THAT great of a car. It's a '04 V6 Mustang

Purdue lets freshmen have cars now? Huh, they didn't when I was considering it. I've known lots of people who went there, and as long as you don't have a real stand out (Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, etc.) you'll be fine. No more dings and dents than driving to work every day and parking in a parking garage.

I can't believe some the things you people say. You guys need to come to school at OSU or OU. I have never once seen a car keyed or damaged on campus. Whether it be new used or tricked out. There are new hummer's, lexus, bmw's rich daddy's give their aspiring freshmen sibling and never have I seen one with any damages. Mine has never been damaged either.

[quote name='b3b0p']I can't believe some the things you people say. You guys need to come to school at OSU or OU. I have never once seen a car keyed or damaged on campus. Whether it be new used or tricked out. There are new hummer's, lexus, bmw's rich daddy's give their aspiring freshmen sibling and never have I seen one with any damages. Mine has never been damaged either.[/QUOTE]

I once had a bum lying on the hood of my car; he wasn't sitting, he was literally lying down on top of it. He got off when I told him I had to leave.

Gotta love Berkeley \\:D/

I party out in Isla Vitsa (UCSB) all the time. In one night, less than 24 hours, my car was backed into, scratched, used a drink holder, and vomited on. Good times.

I've had no problems in H.S. with my Altima. I'm not gonna need to bring it to Boston, so i wont know about it in college. Just dont worry about it.

[quote name='jPoD']I've had no problems in H.S. with my Altima. I'm not gonna need to bring it to Boston, so i wont know about it in college. Just dont worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Altima? I'm looking into that car.

What year and price?

[quote name='Moxio']Altima? I'm looking into that car.

What year and price?[/QUOTE]

2005 Altima 2.5SL Smoke Grey. Parents got it for me brand new last october. Just hit 7K miles. LOVE it. Awesome car. Very reliable, drives SO well. We test drove both the Altima and Maxima for me. Altima drives MUCH smoother. :)

EDIT: With all the options and crap, came out to ~$28K

I had the same situation.

The Hyundai Accent is a perfect car.

It is cheap, kind of speedy (it's not a hemi, but it can do whatever you need it to...), gets excellent gas mileage, and has more than enough room in the back for sex.

Plus it has a 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty, and a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

But trust me, when you get to college, especially if you live in a dorm or an appartment with roommates, the absolute most important feature in a car is how much space it has in the back.

I go to school in one of the worst counties in the country and for the most part, cars are left alone when not being stolen. You guys must have idiots going to school with you. (U of MD @ college park)

Anyway, I think I'm gonig to buy a Mazda3 for the next year at school...under 16k brand new and a pretty nice looking car.

I was a freshman at 'due for engineering in 2003 (and transferred out after Spring '05 due to switching majors and high out of state tuition) and NO freshies were allowed a car to keep on campus. To get a pass you had to be a sophomore. I don't know if you are out of your first year or not (or if they changed the rules), but keep that in mind if you are starting in the fall.

I stayed in Cary Quad my first year and can't remember anything happening to any of the cars (besides getting towed once every 3-4 months). Also, parking was a bitch back then, my roomate was a soph and he usually had to park by the rec center and walk back to Cary (not that far but still :)) All the dorms were pretty dry that year from what I experienced. If you wanted to party in the dorms you had to be quiet about it, but then again that might have changed too (or I was just ignorant).

My second year I stayed off campus and only had one problem. My friend was visiting over the weekend and we went out the next morning to find footprints all over the hood and roof of the car, someone had a nice lil ho-down on the good ol Buick.

[quote name='vietgurl']I once had a bum lying on the hood of my car; he wasn't sitting, he was literally lying down on top of it. He got off when I told him I had to leave.

Gotta love Berkeley \\:D/[/quote]

:rofl:

Yeah, first of all I'm not a freshmen.. I'll be a sophomore..:p

Second, Purdue is a rowdy school. I don't mean party school (because that's IU, OSU, etc.). It's because of all the dudes here, too many dudes and not enough chicks. Therefore, all the guys have to act like their testosterone level is at 110% above the normal levels so they can impress chicks. Seriously, there are soo many douchebags here.:lol:

I've seen plenty of nice cars here, BWMs, Audis, and couple of Range Rovers and even an SL500 (god, I want one of those). But I'm not some spoiled brat who can go to daddy to fix a tiny dent in my $50000 car that he bought me. I'm just a guy form a middle class family who's very anal about his stuff.

As for the car I'm looking at, I'm actually going for a MAZDA3. The TC is too.. I dunno, ricey for me. The MAZDA3 is only a bit weaker but its also lighter, more fuel efficient, and many of its handling characteristics were inspired by the RX-8.:)

I feel a bit better hearing that most of you made out fine though. I might not get a car at all but incase I do get a new one, I'll feel less need to worry.

[quote name='Vinny']
Second, Purdue is a rowdy school. I don't mean party school (because that's IU, OSU, etc.). It's because of all the dudes here, too many dudes and not enough chicks. Therefore, all the guys have to act like their testosterone level is at 110% above the normal levels so they can impress chicks. Seriously, there are soo many douchebags here.:lol:
[/QUOTE]

So fucking true. HAHAHA.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, first of all I'm not a freshmen.. I'll be a sophomore..:p

I've seen plenty of nice cars here, BWMs, Audis, and couple of Range Rovers and even an SL500 (god, I want one of those). But I'm not some spoiled brat who can go to daddy to fix a tiny dent in my $50000 car that he bought me. I'm just a guy form a middle class family who's very anal about his stuff.

As for the car I'm looking at, I'm actually going for a MAZDA3. The TC is too.. I dunno, ricey for me. The MAZDA3 is only a bit weaker but its also lighter, more fuel efficient, and many of its handling characteristics were inspired by the RX-8.:)

I feel a bit better hearing that most of you made out fine though. I might not get a car at all but incase I do get a new one, I'll feel less need to worry.[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT bad. My friend has one in DARK blue. Almost black. It's really a gorgeous car that does everything well and has awesome features for the price.

[quote name='Vinny']

I feel a bit better hearing that most of you made out fine though. I might not get a car at all but incase I do get a new one, I'll feel less need to worry.[/quote]

+3 brownie points for me.

[quote name='Vinny']It's because of all the dudes here, too many dudes and not enough chicks. Therefore, all the guys have to act like their testosterone level is at 110% above the normal levels so they can impress chicks. Seriously, there are soo many douchebags here.:lol: [/QUOTE]
You know, that makes me glad that I went to UMich instead of Purdue - there are a LOT of girls in Ann Arbor (and the ones from art and music seem to like us engineers), and I didn't have $20,000 in loans for the first year. Good news all around. :)

I'd just make sure to be careful during football season. I know that some cars with Ohio plates were vandalized when the OSU game rolled around last year, so I'd be a bit careful about leaving the car anywhere near where your rivals might have easy access. Beyond that, though, chances are you'll be fine. :D

[quote name='jPoD']2005 Altima 2.5SL Smoke Grey. Parents got it for me brand new last october. Just hit 7K miles. LOVE it. Awesome car. Very reliable, drives SO well. We test drove both the Altima and Maxima for me. Altima drives MUCH smoother. :)

EDIT: With all the options and crap, came out to ~$28K[/quote]

Momma's boy :)

I can't suggest any cars but here's a few things I learned from undergrad and grad school in regards to parking:

1) If your school has limited parking available, sign up for those parking permits/passes as soon as humanly possible. The higher up you are on the list the less likely you'll be screwed.

2) If your school likes doing you ten ways from Sunday on parking permit costs (ie: CMU charging $800+ for a single semester), ask around and find out where you can park for free so you don't have to deal with that garbage.

3) Ask other people about parking areas as well, just in general. Why? Because sometimes there are some areas where your car is more likely to get damaged than others. A fine CMU example would be Margaret Morrison Street, where it's perfect if you want to leave your car or you live in the dorm but there's a good 80% chance that your car will be dinged or dented by people parking by touch. That and the chance of theft rises quite a bit.

4) I was going to toss in something about whether or not having a car is necessary but that's not needed. You're going to Purdue and, considering Indiana and even Indiana U in Bloomington, there are so many times you want to get in a car and get the fuck away it isn't even funny. ;D

Has anyone here went to OU (Ohio)? I an transfering there as a junior but unfortunatly I can't sign up for a parking pass until mid July (have to attend orentation still). Would I have any trouble getting on (or would it just be a crappy one?)?

[quote name='dastly75']yeah I have one, it's great[/QUOTE]

Not to knock the TC , i was thinking about buying one, but how can you go from an acura to a scion, i think that is a bit of a downgrade (not considering mileage on car)

[quote name='ispeshaled']I've seen some nice cars on my college campus....a Bentley, a Ferrari, and a Ford GT...all in 1 month actually.[/QUOTE]

What school?

I'd recommend getting a manual if you can. That way, most of the "friends" you make freshman year won't be able to borrow it. Also, it's socially acceptable to ask people to prove they can drive stick well before they can borrow it. Of course, that also means that if you're out and about and you get too trashed to drive, you'll have to pick the car up in the morning.

[quote name='jPoD']What school?[/quote]

University of Texas at Austin. The Ferrari belongs to a business law professor supposedly. The Ford GT was driven by a yuppie looking white guy.

[quote name='ispeshaled']University of Texas at Austin. The Ferrari belongs to a business law professor supposedly. The Ford GT was driven by a yuppie looking white guy.[/QUOTE]

Awesome school man.

[quote name='varsitygamer']at UConn we usually just flip cars on their backs and burn them for massive damage.

no lie.[/QUOTE]

haha when I visited they said they rent spots at that farmer's house. Cheap shit. Like $150 a semester.

bread's done
Back