New Computer Decision

Tennisjon2002

CAGiversary!
Which computer should I get:
http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T3092
^^^^ The price is amazing on that but rember that doesn't include monitor and I ahve not heard the best things about emachines and I have heard even worse things about AMD Athlon processers.

http://samsclub.com/eclub/main_shop...&oidPath=0:-23542:-33761:-33801:-33803:855131
^^^ That just seems like a very good al around system and comes with flat screen monitor and all.
Any comments or advice? BTW I talked my parents into paying for it and they said they would buy whatever I thought would last so the price differnce isn't a major deal but I still don't want 2 get ripped off
Thanks

I don't know if this is true any longer, but when I built my PC (2001) I saved money by buying each component individually rather than buying it pre-assembled from a manufacturer.

I say build your computer and make yourself smarter. Fry's and Newegg.com and possibly RAM at BB. I will never buy a computer again, only build them.

There is no problem with AMD CPUs in this era and they demonstrably deliver more bang for the buck.

OTOH, while now owned by Gateway and less given to motherboard of the week products I'd still try for better than eMachines given the choice.

the best way to get a monster system for the money and not feel ripped off is to put together the system yourself. when you look at retailers like dell they charge you like 400 more just to put it together. you can get a decent pc with monitor for as low as 295 if you put it together yourself. a good place to look for parts and their prices is pricewatch.com.

oh and by the way i would stay away from either system you looked at. emachines and HP's just arent that great. if you want a preconfigured system just get a dell, you can get some sweet systems for cheap if you check bensbargains.com everyonce and a while.

I guess i kinda rambled but hope that it helped

If you want to buy, go Dell. My laptop is 3 years old and still like new. One of the family computers is I think 10 years old and has just recently become problemsome. My parents are getting another Dell very soon. The service is impeccable and the computers are quality. Granted, you'll probably pay a little more, but it's worth it.

It's all up to what's important to you and what you'll be using you computer for mostly. Building is a great option if you are into that!

Good luck!

dell seems to be the way to go if your gonna get a pre-built computer, just check there site everyday for the different offers they have like free shipping,free extra 512mb stick of ram, etc.

[quote name='moiety']If you want to buy, go Dell. My laptop is 3 years old and still like new. One of the family computers is I think 10 years old and has just recently become problemsome. My parents are getting another Dell very soon. The service is impeccable and the computers are quality. Granted, you'll probably pay a little more, but it's worth it.

It's all up to what's important to you and what you'll be using you computer for mostly. Building is a great option if you are into that!

Good luck![/quote]

There computer is 10 years old!!! Of course its having problems, you can't compare a 10 year old computer and the amount of problems it has to one thats 3 years old.

Dell does build decent pc's and you can get them cheap, actually sometimes cheaper than building your own. The only problem is you don't always get the best components. They like to throw a big processor in there like a 3.2 ghz to make you think its a great comp, then throw in a budget gaming card and sometimes very small power supplies.

10 years old? When they had those 200 MHz PCs? Niiice.

I say build your own PC if you know how. It's a good experience, and it will get you in the practice. If you can't build one, go Dell or have someone make you a PC. Dell doesn't preload crap on your PC like HP/Compaq.

[quote name='msdmoney'][quote name='moiety']If you want to buy, go Dell. My laptop is 3 years old and still like new. One of the family computers is I think 10 years old and has just recently become problemsome. My parents are getting another Dell very soon. The service is impeccable and the computers are quality. Granted, you'll probably pay a little more, but it's worth it.

Good luck![/quote]

There computer is 10 years old!!! Of course its having problems, you can't compare a 10 year old computer and the amount of problems it has to one thats 3 years old.

Dell does build decent pc's and you can get them cheap, actually sometimes cheaper than building your own. The only problem is you don't always get the best components. They like to throw a big processor in there like a 3.2 ghz to make you think its a great comp, then throw in a budget gaming card and sometimes very small power supplies.[/quote]

And becareful with their ram and motherboards :whistle2:/

[quote name='Storamin']Buy an Alienware.[/quote]

Alienware... the company of three O's = Overrated, Overpriced, Overheaters (well the laptops overheat, the desktops they make generally have better cooling)

I got a new Dell 4600 with a 2.8 P4 HT, 512 RAM, 80 GB HDD, 52x CD-Rom, AND 17" LCD for $650.

Beat that. And that price includes shipping. www.gotapex.com will give you daily Dell deals.

Plus, I bought a 52x CD burner from newegg for $26 with free shipping. I'm still hunting for a cheap graphics card.

The *only* issue with E-machines has mostly been addressed. For a long time they used non-standard cases and power supplies which made any sort of upgrades a pain. They have fixed this for the most part but I'd still look for reviews of the specific model on epinions.com or something of the like.

You are, of course, better off building your own but I'm guessing with your parents buying it they'll want a warranty and such. Either pick is fine, just make sure they fully support upgrades.

Yep, go with Dell. My friend recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400 for $1400. It came with a 17 in. flat panel display and the computer was 3.06 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, 12X DVD+RW, and it came with a brand new PCI Express card along with a free printer. Came in 2 days too.

[quote name='BigNick']I say go for the emachines one.[/quote]

So the power supply can burn out everyyear.

dont go with either bulid your own and if you do not know how, look it up on the net it is not that hard. also there is nothin wrong wth amd chips at all they make very good processors. just go stick with the xp models.

Build your own, like someone else said it's worth learning. Not to mention you could get an awesome computer for the same price as one of these crappy pre-made ones. One thing you should know about most of these premade computers is that A) They try to make them sound very good. The truth is, processor speed, despite what they want you to think, is not the end-all-be-all thing to make a computer good. B) I can almost guarantee that you will get a crap graphics card. If you want to play newer games one of thse premade machines is definately not for you.

[quote name='ex0']Build your own, like someone else said it's worth learning. Not to mention you could get an awesome computer for the same price as one of these crappy pre-made ones. One thing you should know about most of these premade computers is that A) They try to make them sound very good. The truth is, processor speed, despite what they want you to think, is not the end-all-be-all thing to make a computer good. B) I can almost guarantee that you will get a crap graphics card. If you want to play newer games one of thse premade machines is definately not for you.[/quote]
I am not really a big computer gamer I use my xbox so gaming isn't a big thing I just need something for all of my internet surfing, downloading, music listining and for school.

[quote name='kev']The *only* issue with E-machines has mostly been addressed. For a long time they used non-standard cases and power supplies which made any sort of upgrades a pain. They have fixed this for the most part but I'd still look for reviews of the specific model on epinions.com or something of the like.

You are, of course, better off building your own but I'm guessing with your parents buying it they'll want a warranty and such. Either pick is fine, just make sure they fully support upgrades.[/quote]
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1625717,00.asp
Pc mag seems to like the emachines so I think I am going to get it, any further opions?

bread's done
Back