New Dreamcasts at amazon again 88.99 w free sss

jamesesdad

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000K2R4

Amazon has brand new dreamcast consoles again on sale for 88.99. Seems a little expensive but I guess this is becoming a collectors item. Its eligible for free super save shipping and amazon prime. The dreamcast was, and still is one of my favorite videogame systems ever. A surprisingly large library of excellent games awaits those willing to take the plunge!

I love my Dreamcast, but from the other threads it seems like these are "Gamestop New"/open box.

...Personally, I think people would be better off buying one from a small mom and pop, ebay or goodwill.

Where the hell does Amazon keep getting these new Dreamcast units from? They keep randomly selling them all the time. Maybe they are buying overstock from other vendors and then selling them or something.
I still have my Dreamcast though every now and then the thought of having a brand new one as a backup crosses my mind.

Reading the product description on the site is hilarious. This beast blows away the N64 and Playstation and ranks up there with the PS2 and XBox. Not to mention, in a video game first, it's packing that 56k modem. Can't wait to fire up some NFL2K1 online, just as they advertise.

edit - I forgot to mention, if I have a Dreamcast, I no longer need a computer, cause this baby does it all!

After playing the PS3 and Xbox 360, I have a hard time getting myself to play any of the older consoles. Like many others with a modern TV, we want HD graphics. A lot of the Dreamcast games can be had in one way or another on modern consoles anyway. Give me HD or give me death! Okay well maybe not death...:D

[quote name='typical guy']After playing the PS3 and Xbox 360, I have a hard time getting myself to play any of the older consoles. Like many others with a modern TV, we want HD graphics. A lot of the Dreamcast games can be had in one way or another on modern consoles anyway. Give me HD or give me death! Okay well maybe not death...:D[/QUOTE]

I wish that was the case, but there are very, very few dreamcast remakes in hd (rez is the only one that comes to mind). And in most cases, there just aren't any real substitutes for games like:

jet set radio, skies of arcadia, shenmue, crazy taxi, power stone, sonic adventure etc etc ( I'll stop myself here before I realize I need to buy one of these...)

Some people feel the price is too high, but with free shipping, I think its a good deal. Try finding a new Sega Saturn now a days, not easy at all.

[quote name='typical guy']After playing the PS3 and Xbox 360, I have a hard time getting myself to play any of the older consoles. Like many others with a modern TV, we want HD graphics. A lot of the Dreamcast games can be had in one way or another on modern consoles anyway. Give me HD or give me death! Okay well maybe not death...:D[/QUOTE]

Dreamcast supported VGA. It's not HD, but it's good for a ten-year-old console.

That's why I play all my PS2 games on an emulator on my PC (i5 overclocked to 4ghz). I can play them at 3x the regular resolution at full speed almost all the way through! You'd be surprised how good PS2 games look at higher resolutions.

[quote name='schopaia']I wish that was the case, but there are very, very few dreamcast remakes in hd (rez is the only one that comes to mind). And in most cases, there just aren't any real substitutes for games like:

jet set radio, skies of arcadia, shenmue, crazy taxi, power stone, sonic adventure etc etc ( I'll stop myself here before I realize I need to buy one of these...)[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lot of games have come out for other systems. I don't know all the games that well but I know for a fact (as I used to own it) that Skies of Arcadia Legend (they added legend to it and added additional content) came out for the gamecube and is also playable on the Wii. Hasn't a ton of the DC stuff come out for the Wii Virtual Console? Granted the Wii is not high definition, it's still a good SD substitute instead of purchasing additional hardware that won't play new stuff.

[quote name='Mr. Domino']Dreamcast supported VGA. It's not HD, but it's good for a ten-year-old console.[/QUOTE]

It looks darn good.

Skies of Srcadia came out for GC along with all the DLC but worse sound. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 also came out of the GC but with worse chao gardens.

Shenmue II came out for Xbox and I think it is BC?

[quote name='typical guy']Actually, a lot of games have come out for other systems. I don't know all the games that well but I know for a fact (as I used to own it) that Skies of Arcadia Legend (they added legend to it and added additional content) came out for the gamecube and is also playable on the Wii. Hasn't a ton of the DC stuff come out for the Wii Virtual Console? Granted the Wii is not high definition, it's still a good SD substitute instead of purchasing additional hardware that won't play new stuff.[/QUOTE]

there is no Dremcast game on Virtual Console

There was some talk internally (I believe it was a sega document) a while back regarding dc and ps2 games being on the psn. I haven't heard much about it since though.

What I'm really looking for is a good deal on Samba de Amigo maracas. That would get me firing up my old dreamcast in a heartbeat.

[quote name='typical guy']Actually, a lot of games have come out for other systems. I don't know all the games that well but I know for a fact (as I used to own it) that Skies of Arcadia Legend (they added legend to it and added additional content) came out for the gamecube and is also playable on the Wii. Hasn't a ton of the DC stuff come out for the Wii Virtual Console? Granted the Wii is not high definition, it's still a good SD substitute instead of purchasing additional hardware that won't play new stuff.[/QUOTE]

Nope, unfortunately not. Virtual console is and always will be (on the wii anyway) limited to cartridge-based games because of the wii internal storage limit. CD's (and GD's) are more than 512 meg, so dreamcast games are out of the question.

I've always been very interested in purchasing a Dreamcast system. However with all the games coming out these days and my already deadly backlog, I'm just gonna have to skip this chance. Again :(

[quote name='schopaia']Nope, unfortunately not. Virtual console is and always will be (on the wii anyway) limited to cartridge-based games because of the wii internal storage limit. CD's (and GD's) are more than 512 meg, so dreamcast games are out of the question.[/QUOTE]

If it weren't for all the TG-16 CD games on there this would almost be true. They do take up like 300 blocks though; I 'm uncertain if there's some kind of compression or none of the games used all that space. DC games pretty much are out of the question as downloadables though, yes, unless they have some marvy compression techniques.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Skies of Srcadia came out for GC along with all the DLC but worse sound. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 also came out of the GC but with worse chao gardens.

Shenmue II came out for Xbox and I think it is BC?[/QUOTE]

How were the Chao gardens worse, lack of the VMU or something?

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Skies of Srcadia came out for GC along with all the DLC but worse sound.[/quote]
This is true. Though you also forgot there is extra content that wasn't available on the Dreamcast, not even in DLC form.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 also came out of the GC but with worse chao gardens.[/quote]
lol wut?

[quote name='SovietSlayer'] Shenmue II came out for Xbox and I think it is BC?[/QUOTE]
Yes, though running it on a 360 results in hella graphical glitches.

[quote name='trogoldito']That's why I play all my PS2 games on an emulator on my PC (i5 overclocked to 4ghz). I can play them at 3x the regular resolution at full speed almost all the way through! You'd be surprised how good PS2 games look at higher resolutions.[/QUOTE]

Dang, 3x the resolution. May I ask what emulator you're using? And could you maybe post some comparison shots of the resolution difference? If you're feeling generous that is.:D

I don't understand you people at all honestly. I still play through FF1 and Legend of Zelda. Hell I played Colecovision games on my Dreamcast not long ago. Maybe it's because I'm older but graphics mean absolutely nothing to me.

bread's done
Back