New "Futurama" episodes to have new voice actors... . - Original Voice Cast Is Back!

Will have to see what develops, odds are I'll watch the first new episodes regardless and if they are well written I'll probably stay on and watch the rest, if not well I'll consider it a dead series.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would guess they'll be doing some emergency negotiations to try and get a deal worked out before Comic-Con. According to the description of the panel Fox executives are going to be there, and if they still haven't agreed to hiring the original voice actors I imagine they will get a pretty major reaction when the subject comes up.[/QUOTE]
That's going to be a fun panel then. :bouncy:

[quote name='docvinh']Yeah, I have no idea really, just some random quotes from people saying that 75k, so I dunno if that's for the whole cast or what. I know that the simpsons is making somewhere in the neighborhood of 400k per episode for each cast member, and while Futurama has not remotely had the same amount of success, it just didn't seem like 75k was out of line.[/QUOTE]

Ah but now we get to why these performers want so much more.

Launching a new show with an uncertain reception is a risky venture. There is a lot of sunk cost in the package commitment before anyone knows if this thing has a good audience or not. Performers generally are under contracts that commit their services long enough to know if the show is a success, in which case the money flows more freely when the new contract is drawn up. Lesser performers tend to be committed long enough to produce a syndication package, where the insane money starts to happen.

Like Family Guy, Futurama achieved a stronger audience after its cancellation than when it was in active production. A big part of this was due to Fox's ever changing time slot for the show making it hard to find, especially for those only marginally interested. When it went into syndication it had more reliable time slots and more frequent airings, allowing a new audience to discover the show and build demand for more of it. It also produced some very good DVD sales.

So Futurama is a more known quantity than it was the first time these performers signed up for the gig. They know they're critical pieces of a valuable property and want a bigger slice of the rewards. If the per episode budget was a mere $250K, which sounds awfully low, then the increased salaries are not going to be anything that would raise eyebrows in Hollywood. Not even close.

Family Guy is an interesting case. Seth McFarlane is on his way to being one of the highest paid show creators ever, in terms of direct payment for ongoing production. With him supplying the voices for the three most popular characters on the show, he doesn't really have any concern about the rest of cast making demands. He could do an episode consisting of just Peter, Brian, and Stewie on a desert island with no other characters appearing. Just to make a point lest anyone get any ideas about holding for more moolah.

BTW, the highest paid sitcom star to date was Ray Ramano, getting nearly $2 million for each episode of the final season of 'Everybody Loves Raymond.'

Kelsey Grammer was taking home $1.6 million per episode for the last two seasons of 'Frasier.'

Zach Braff earns a modest $350,000 for seventh season episodes of 'Scrubs.' (Unlike the others here he doesn't have an ownership position on his show, as he was an unknown when cast.)

The current top salary is Charlie Sheen's $825K for each episode of Two and a Half Men.'

Even 'The Closer' on TNT is doing enough business to make star Kyra Sedgewick worth $275,000 per episode. If the show makes it to syndication she'll have husband Kevin Bacon's lifetime earning beat by a wide margin.

I would be willing to bet the amounts being requested by the Futurama performers would be minuscule compared to any of the above. Actors are pulling in salaries well in the six figures per episode all over TV. When you establish a brand for a product generating hundreds of millions in revenue over time, you get to

[quote name='epobirs']BTW, the highest paid sitcom star to date was Ray Ramano, getting nearly $2 million for each episode of the final season of 'Everybody Loves Raymond.'

Kelsey Grammer was taking home $1.6 million per episode for the last two seasons of 'Frasier.'

Zach Braff earns a modest $350,000 for seventh season episodes of 'Scrubs.' (Unlike the others here he doesn't have an ownership position on his show, as he was an unknown when cast.)

The current top salary is Charlie Sheen's $825K for each episode of Two and a Half Men.'

Even 'The Closer' on TNT is doing enough business to make star Kyra Sedgewick worth $275,000 per episode. If the show makes it to syndication she'll have husband Kevin Bacon's lifetime earning beat by a wide margin.

I would be willing to bet the amounts being requested by the Futurama performers would be minuscule compared to any of the above. Actors are pulling in salaries well in the six figures per episode all over TV. When you establish a brand for a product generating hundreds of millions in revenue over time, you get to[/QUOTE]
but those are all the highest paid stars on TV, and actual actors: http://www.buzzsugar.com/444431

one of the highest paid that made that list is the Psyche dude, an actual actor, making $60k an episode. i really don't think "Actors are pulling in salaries well in the six figures per episode all over TV" -- there are hundreds if not thousands of actors & you're talking about the highest paid 10 or so, mostly on network channels...

hardly indicative of what average cable TV voice actors should be paid

I think all this arguing is a moot point. Its obvious that people dont want new voices and the execs are just using the "new casting" as a bargaining chip to say to the actors that they are willing to screw everything over if they keep asking too much, and the actors are gonna use all this feedback from angry fans as their chip to say they deserve the money. In the end, like some have said, they will reach a deal unless either one is unreasonable. I predict the comic con to be the measure of how big the bargaining chip the actors have and the execs changing thier stories accordingly.

I think all this arguing is a moot point. Its obvious that people dont want new voices and the execs are just using the "new casting" as a bargaining chip to say to the actors that they are willing to screw everything over if they keep asking too much, and the actors are gonna use all this feedback from angry fans as their chip to say they deserve the money. In the end, like some have said, they will reach a deal unless either one is unreasonable. I predict the comic con to be the measure of how big the bargaining chip the actors have and the execs changing thier stories accordingly.

[quote name='epobirs']Can you name another celebrity that has been more mocked and disparaged posthumously? That there is a lunatic legion of worshipers doesn't change the fact that he'd become a grotesque parody of himself by the time of his death.[/QUOTE]
I know it's soon, but Michael Jackson?

A few reasonable responses in the sea of fanboy stupidity.

The series ended in 2002. Aside from a few movies/multiple part episodes, "fans" have been watching the same episodes for seven years.

The show can be great, but nothing is "watch the same thing twenty times" great.

If the show is resurrected in Comedy Central and pulls early South Park numbers, Fox might buy back the show with the precious original cast.

You're getting new content. Be happy with that, watch a small portion of the new content before declaring it a crapfest or ignore like everybody else did when it was on primetime.

[quote name='Koggit']but those are all the highest paid stars on TV, and actual actors: http://www.buzzsugar.com/444431

one of the highest paid that made that list is the Psyche dude, an actual actor, making $60k an episode. i really don't think "Actors are pulling in salaries well in the six figures per episode all over TV" -- there are hundreds if not thousands of actors & you're talking about the highest paid 10 or so, mostly on network channels...

hardly indicative of what average cable TV voice actors should be paid[/QUOTE]
Well, I gotta say if Jeff Foxworthy is making 150k an episode, the people at Futurama should definitely make at least 75k an episode.:) Regardless, we'll see how the new episodes are.

[quote name='Koggit']but those are all the highest paid stars on TV, and actual actors: http://www.buzzsugar.com/444431

hardly indicative of what average cable TV voice actors should be paid[/QUOTE]

What is this 'actual actor' bullshit? Are you really trying to claim that people with resumes like Billy West and Katey Sagal are not actual actors? This makes your entire argument laughable. What is your criterion for this distinction?

To use your example, 'actual actor' James Roday of 'Psych' (psyche is a different word) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0734442/

This is a guy whose first screen credit came only six years before he was cast for Psych and included several roles that didn't even have names, just descriptions like 'receptionist.' So, very early in his career and still looking for the first big role to take him out of also-ran status. This means he'll make a series commitment for cheap. If the series goes big, he can make the proper demands when the contract renewal time comes around. You can be damn sure if Psych runs enough seasons Mr. Roday's earnings will be much greater than in the first seasons.

Zach Braff''s salary followed a similar arc. Those early seasons of "Scrubs' paid far less than the later seasons when he was an indispensable element of a successful series. That is the payoff for tying yourself down to a series and foregoing other opportunities for several years.

When Katey Sagal started 'Futurama' she had already spent several years as a professional stage performer (she was part of Bette Midler's Harlettes and can be seen in the Midler concert movie, although all the Harlettes ending up suing Midler after a dispute, she was also a background vocalist on Gene Simmon's solo album), had been female lead of one of the most successful sitcoms in TV history, 'Married With Children,' which lasted eleven seasons. Not a minor resume entry.

(Weird trivia: the Doublemint Twins of the early 80s are her younger twin sisters, Liz and Jean.)

So it seems your real problem is acknowledging the vital role of voice actor's contribution to successful animation. Perhaps they should have just recast The Simpsons voice crew when they demanded a bigger slice of the extremely lucrative pie. Sure, the show would likely have faded into cancellation several years ago, losing hundreds of million revenue but hey, can't let those uppity voice actors get too big for their britches.

They wouldn't be putting Futurama back into production if there were not great mounds of money to be made. Cutting in the vital talent for a decent share is not an unreasonable request.

[quote name='epobirs'](Weird trivia: the Doublemint Twins of the early 80s are her younger twin sisters, Liz and Jean.)[/QUOTE]

I will return with an angry retort after ogling pictures of the Doublemint Twins.

[quote name='AgentMOO']I know it's soon, but Michael Jackson?[/QUOTE]

You're probably too young to remember but at the time Elvis died it wasn't a really big news story. It got little more attention than the death of Groucho Marx a few days later, despite Marx being quite aged and Presley being fairly young and still actively performing. The real insanity around Elvis didn't start until a few years later as the world became aware of the cultish behavior of some people that Elvis Presley became a major target of mockery and derision.

Jackson may go on to match this but scandal fatigue may set in. Ten years from now don't be surprised if the interest hasn't gone to nearly nothing as the supply of fresh weirdness is dried up for a few years. Most of the weirder stuff about Elvis came out after his death, when former friends and associates who'd previously kept silent sought to cash in. Jackson may provide a few more posthumous scandal but I think the weird is largely tapped out there and that won't leave much to fuel the National Enquirer sorts.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']A few reasonable responses in the sea of fanboy stupidity.

The series ended in 2002. Aside from a few movies/multiple part episodes, "fans" have been watching the same episodes for seven years.

The show can be great, but nothing is "watch the same thing twenty times" great.

If the show is resurrected in Comedy Central and pulls early South Park numbers, Fox might buy back the show with the precious original cast.

You're getting new content. Be happy with that, watch a small portion of the new content before declaring it a crapfest or ignore like everybody else did when it was on primetime.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, its new content. Why is everyone so ready to hate on it just because the voice actors are different? Voice actors being changed in a cartoon show shouldn't shock anyone. Its a cartoon, all you need is to find a guy who sounds the same and you've replaced your talent.

Its just like people who hate all star wars made after RotJ. You go watch your 3 movies quietly over there, while the rest of us enjoy our 7 movies and tv shows over here. Thanks.

[quote name='KingDox']Exactly, its new content. Why is everyone so ready to hate on it just because the voice actors are different? Voice actors being changed in a cartoon show shouldn't shock anyone. Its a cartoon, all you need is to find a guy who sounds the same and you've replaced your talent.

Its just like people who hate all star wars made after RotJ. You go watch your 3 movies quietly over there, while the rest of us enjoy our 7 movies and tv shows over here. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

So, it doesn't bother you when a game publisher changes development teams and produces a crap sequel to a favorite game?

Some of us are more discerning and would rather see some go undone rather than done badly.

Anime fans used (some still do) to make a point of watching with the original Japanese voices and subtitles. This was because the English dubs on most stuff were just awful. The budgets for localization were tiny and professional actors just couldn't be used. The original Japanese voices could be bad but who would know? I'd gotten pretty accustomed to this approach to anime viewing when I encountered the localized version of Ranma 1/2. I was pleasantly surprised. The acting was decent and several of the voices were quite amusing. Especially Cologne and Happosai. Voice quality matters and once a character's voice is established it becomes important to maintaining a consistent product.

Last edited by a moderator:
The compromise agreement, with the studio paying more and the actors accepting less, comes after the announcement of a 26-episode pick-up here by Comedy Central. Futurama also airs internationally in syndication, has produced four bestselling straight-to-DVD movies (later cut into episodes) and an upcoming feature film.
Waaahhhhhh?

Eeesh, I enjoyed the straight to dvd movies(the second one not so much) but the pacing of individual episodes is far superior to full length films.

I had mixed feeling when I first heard about it. Sure the show wouldn't be the same with different voices. But at the same time I think producers need to put their foot down and cap the salaries of actors. So many are overpaid for the little they do. They rake in millions just so prices can go up and the rest of the people wonder where the money is disappearing to.

I guess we won't know which side was trying to exploit the other though.

[quote name='DPsx7']I had mixed feeling when I first heard about it. Sure the show wouldn't be the same with different voices. But at the same time I think producers need to put their foot down and cap the salaries of actors. So many are overpaid for the little they do. They rake in millions just so prices can go up and the rest of the people wonder where the money is disappearing to.

I guess we won't know which side was trying to exploit the other though.[/QUOTE]

Simply wrong. There is no such thing as an overpaid actor in a profitable production. The producers pay the price for the talentthey believe is critical to success and to secure that talent against other bidding for his services.

If the product tanks it is the fault of the producer for failing to see its weaknesses or overvaluing the talent. But the cast's salaries are rarely the difference between success and failure in film and TV production.

Also, the massive escalation in production budgets in the 90s was driven primarily by German financial law rather than greed on the part of the talent. I'm not kidding about this.

In the case ofthe Futurama revival I'm quite sure the producers were the ones trying to undervalue the voice cast. The value of the series grew greatly in its years out of production and the salaries of the talent should reflect that.

i knew it would be worked out in the end. thatd be like trying to recast the simpsons voices. id be interested to know the exact deal though and what each side originally wanted.

bread's done
Back