"New" Games from EB

Ecks

CAGiversary!
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of going to buy a NEW game from EB and it's been opened? I was gonna get R: Racing Evolution for PS2 and they have two copies in stock, both opened and on the shelf, and of course both discs were scratched to hell. Then they look at me like I'm a freak when I say no, I don't want that scratched up disc.

I've even got a game from ebgames.com (WWE Crush Hour for PS2) that was reshrunkwrap, and the disc is scratched. I bought it as new, paid the new price, and I am receiving used product.

This just bugs me to no end. New should mean sealed, disc not scratched/fingerprinted/dirty/whatever. EB doesn't even try to take care of the discs they remove from cases, they just throw them in a baggie with the manual. At least some smaller independant stores I go to that have "shelf copies" put them in a slimline case so the disc is still in new shape.

k, done ranting, just getting frustrated at the number of games I've tried to buy at EB then walked out with nothing.

I got Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy from them yesterday in the mail. I ordered a new copy, I got a re-shrinkwrapped copy with the wrong manual. I wouldn't have minded, really, if it was the right manual, since the game and case were like new, but I just found it funny that their customer service rep told me that that kind of thing never happens and he was shocked by it. I mean, I've heard about it enough times from people online that it can't be rare at all.

It annoys me as well which is unless I am buying a $5 or $10 game, I refuse to buy a display copy. For a game that costs anymore, I can go to another store and get a factory sealed game.

Just happened to me as well. Bought a new game from EBgames.com and the price tag was under the shrink wrap. Opened it up and the disc looked like someone had tested sand paper on it. Still played, but was not what I paided for. Called them to return it. Got the same story as the other guy, oh... this never happens. BS! Even had to call them twice to get the prepaid envelope. Have to watch the credit card statement to make sure I get the money back...

Weren't they sued for this in the past???

[quote name='eldad9']http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/SummaryNotice/default.asp[/quote]

it just like saying if there a problem dont go to the police they will not help come to us and we could settle this without authority. dude just go to the buisness bearu and file a complaint so they so there asses can get fined. i bought a game at gamestop that was opened but the guy gave me 10% off and it stated on the recipt that it was open but new for reason for discount.

The thing is, if I picked it up in store I'd have had no problem with just taking it back to get the manual switched. The thing that galls me is the lying service rep. I suppose maybe he really didn't know that they sell opened and/or used copies as brand new, but I doubt it.

That's why you don't buy from EBGames - ever.

Just take their ad if it's a special and get it price-matched at another store. Really, the only reason they're still in business is because saps like you complain to no end, but yet still buy from them the next day. Simply stop buying from them, and as they start losing profit, they'll hopefully correct themselves. I remember that I've only bought two games for them in my whole gaming carrer. The first one was good, but the second one wasn't and it was when I already knew of their misleading ways and it was only because no other store had it, and definitely not for such a low price. The case, even though originally shrink-wrapped, had holes throught the shrinkwrapping, which punctured the coverart underneath, and looked like they kept it in a lion's den. I took what I could get, as it was their last copy, just I never went to them again.

CC, and a little BB (GGC) is where ALL my money goes now... And ironically my CC even has a bigger game selection than EBGames, well next-gen games anyway, as CC doesn't carry older console games.

EDIT - BTW, the game was Deus Ex, practically the only game they give you a good deal on ($13.99)...

Thank you Ralph Nader. Me myself, I'd just as soon go through the trouble of EB (and I will eventually get a brand new game out of them or I'll cancel the order) than get molested by Best Buy's protection plan gestapo again.

Edit: (Nader spelling.)

I was all excited last week when one of my friends that works at EB Games called me to say that he just noticed they had a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends in. I tell him to hold it for me, go rushing over there and say thing...its their only "new" copy of it, but its opened and the box is on display. Though I really wanted that game, I turned it down just because it really pissed me off.

This is why I stopped taking all my business to EB. IMHO Gamestop has always treated me better and given me more (usually) for my trade ins. Never once have I received a repackaged game.

EB used to get burned by people taking advantage of their return policy. People would buy a game, beat it in a week and then return it for another game. EB ended up stuck with games that were no longer technically "new" but that they hadn't made a penny on. For awhile, they were repackaging those returns and reselling them as new so that they could at least make a little money. Their corporate policy is to no longer do that although individual stores might still do it. They also made their return policy a lot more strict. People don't seem to be aware that they are in business to make money - not as a charity for cheap asses and scam artists. Now people complain if they end up with a display copy. They take the games out of the display copies so that shoplifters don't take them. The game is still new but the case has been opened. If you don't want the display copy, you should ask for another copy. If that's their last one, take your business somewhere else if it bothers you that much.

[quote name='Machine']EB used to get burned by people taking advantage of their return policy. People would buy a game, beat it in a week and then return it for another game. EB ended up stuck with games that were no longer technically "new" but that they hadn't made a penny on. For awhile, they were repackaging those returns and reselling them as new so that they could at least make a little money. Their corporate policy is to no longer do that although individual stores might still do it. They also made their return policy a lot more strict. People don't seem to be aware that they are in business to make money - not as a charity for cheap asses and scam artists. [/quote]

I'm also tired of EB's "new" games. I realize that EB takes the games out of the display copies so that people don't steal them, but why does EB display the empty cases in the first place? EB could use security cases like BB and CC to display their games.

[quote name='Machine']Now people complain if they end up with a display copy. They take the games out of the display copies so that shoplifters don't take them. The game is still new but the case has been opened. If you don't want the display copy, you should ask for another copy. If that's their last one, take your business somewhere else if it bothers you that much.[/quote]

If EB tries to sell me a display copy, I usually do ask for another copy of the game. EB does not always tell you that you're getting a previously opened copy. The last time I went to EB I bought some e-reader cards, Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell, when I got home I noticed that EB had given me a resealed copy of POP. The cashier at EB did not tell me that he was giving me a resealed copy of POP, if he had, I would have asked for a factory sealed copy or gone somewhere else.

If I'm paying $49.99 for a game, I expect it to be factory sealed. If EB wants to sell resealed games then they should be required to tell you that the game has been resealed. EB should also give you a small discount on the display copy because it is an "open box" item.

You're right, some of their policies are wrong and should be changed. I just wanted to point things out from a different perspective because people are always complaining about how the store is screwing them and they don't even think about the times they've screwed the store. For every legitimate deal that gets posted on CAG, there are two or three scams posted that exploit store return policies, trade-in policies, coupon glitches and things like that - things that end up screwing stores over and eventually hurt all of us when the stores change their policies to protect themselves.

My gamestop has worse service here than eb, however both of them have tried selling resealed games to me as new, which I rejected in the face. It was in the face.

[quote name='Theenternal']My gamestop has worse service here than eb, however both of them have tried selling resealed games to me as new, which I rejected in the face. It was in the face.[/quote]

Same here I've had more problems with Gamestop doing this than my local EBs.

Like last tuesday when I went in to use my $26 store credit for Intellivision Lives on the Xbox(release was tuesday). They said they did'nt have any.
Call the next day to see if it's in the guy said yes, got down there and all they had was the damn display. Then when I say no thanks I get this stupid look from the guy.

I have gotten supurb customer service from EB compared to Gamestop.

I have learned when I call any video game store like EB, Gamestop, etc. to ask them if it is a factory sealed copy and if they have more than 1 factory sealed copy in stock. They will usally tell you over the phone if it is sealed or their last copy (display copy).

[quote name='eldad9']http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/SummaryNotice/default.asp[/quote]

For the record, The only state in the country that has a law against selling opened or returned items as new is California. Every other state allows the resale of items that have been returned and is in like new condition. That is why retailers have return policies. If you are unhappy, return it.

And if you don't want an "opened" game don't buy it. The game is new. Not the case. EB sells games not dvd cases. You are paying for the game not the case.

I'm also tired of EB's "new" games. I realize that EB takes the games out of the display copies so that people don't steal them, but why does EB display the empty cases in the first place? EB could use security cases like BB and CC to display their games.

Doyou have any idea how much money it takes to set up this security sysyem? It is approximatly $10,000 to set up and to put a security tab on EVERY product cost payroll and supplies. The average EB would take 3 years to pay off an investment like that. Also, they would have to raise their prices to compensate for this investment.

EB is like being in a bad relationship. The good times are REALLY good (such as the $5 GBA Battlenetworks, $10 Wario Worlds, 4 for 1 FF:CC, etc). The bad times are pretty bad (such as mail ordering and receiving "New" games that look worse than used, clerks at the store arguing with you when you don't want to buy the open copy, etc). It's give and take for me and in my experience I think I'm even (good vs. bad). I'm definitely very cautious when ordering from them or GS as I've received re-sealed items. Circuit City actually sent me a plain opened item once with their security sticker right on the case (the wrapping was removed). I guess the moral is to expect that 25-30% of the time, you may receive a re-sealed item from EB or GS. I think that when they have their great on-line deals, they send out the re-sealed ones first. So, if you order quickly to get in on the deal, you may received a re-sealed copy. If you wait for all the reseals to sell, they may run out or raise the price on you. What to do?

[quote name='The Game']I'm also tired of EB's "new" games. I realize that EB takes the games out of the display copies so that people don't steal them, but why does EB display the empty cases in the first place? EB could use security cases like BB and CC to display their games.

Doyou have any idea how much money it takes to set up this security sysyem? It is approximatly $10,000 to set up and to put a security tab on EVERY product cost payroll and supplies. The average EB would take 3 years to pay off an investment like that. Also, they would have to raise their prices to compensate for this investment. [/quote].

Even if security measures like that are too expensive, EB could just have a photo of the games that they have for sale with a slip of paper for you to take to the cashier when you want to buy the game (like TRU). If someone needs to see the actual case then an employee can bring one out for the customer to look at. I still don't see the need to display the empty cases.

[quote name='The Game']Stop your whining and just buy the game.[/quote].

No one in this thread is whining. $50 is a lot of money to pay for one game. If I'm paying that much money for a new product, I want it to be new - factory sealed and not opened and repackaged. EB needs to be honest about what they are selling. I hate buying what I thought was a new game at EB only to get home and find out that I was given a display copy. I don't want to take the chance of paying for a new game and getting a scratched up disk, etc. If that doesn't bother you then that's great, but it is for that reason that I now buy all of my new games at other stores and I only go to EB to do a trade-in deal or if I have a Gift Card.

Not to mention at any given time when I go into an EB, they'll have 5 or 6 "display" copies of the same title. Why do you need to open up every single copy you received and display it when one will suffice? It could be that the day a new game is released, every employee "rents" it that day, thus the 5 or 6 opened copies. Who knows?

[quote name='The Game'][quote name='eldad9']http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/SummaryNotice/default.asp[/quote]

For the record, The only state in the country that has a law against selling opened or returned items as new is California. Every other state allows the resale of items that have been returned and is in like new condition. That is why retailers have return policies. If you are unhappy, return it.

And if you don't want an "opened" game don't buy it. The game is new. Not the case. EB sells games not dvd cases. You are paying for the game not the case.[/quote]

That would be acceptable if the game was "new". I have heard of EB workers taking those games home and too many horror stories about how the games are all scratched up. If it has been opened it is no longer new! It is now used. I compare this to new cars. I expect the "Demo" cars that dealers use to be discounted and they are! Games should be as well. This will only happen if people refuse to take the store copies at full price. Also why does EB and Gamestop have 5 plus copies of every game on the shelf? This does not make business sense. But if customers are still buying them at full price the stores benefit and they will not change their ways!

[quote name='bradr']Not to mention at any given time when I go into an EB, they'll have 5 or 6 "display" copies of the same title. [/quote]

My local Electronics Boutique does the same thing. I can understand the need to have a game case on display with artwork, screenshots, etc. advertising the game, but there's no reason in hell the store has to put every last copy of a particular game they have out on display. I doubt there will ever be 10-20 people in the store looking at the exact same game case at the exact same time. It's got to be a complete waste of store shelf space to have one game taking up half the available display space anyway, and the fact that the "new" game I want is no longer factory sealed (and the case itself is often scratched, gouged, etc.) doesn't increase my confidence in purchasing their products.

I have gotten some good deals from the EB online store this past year ($5 Rygar, Primal, Robotech Collector's Edition, etc.). Heck, I even got in on a couple of their "trade-in four used games for a pre-order" deals at one of their physical stores, but it's highly unlikely I'll buy anything else from EB that isn't dirt cheap to begin with.

EB could use security cases like BB and CC to display their games.

Say that after you sit in the stock room at Best Buy and put cases on the entire shipment of Madden 2004....that was like alomst 300 copies between all the systems! I'm sure it is alot easier to put out like a couple display cases. Plus after working at Best Buy I can tell you EB's secuity methods are probably much more effective because determined shoplifters easily find their way around those tags and security cases.

[quote name='suprsaiyanMAX']
EB could use security cases like BB and CC to display their games.

Say that after you sit in the stock room at Best Buy and put cases on the entire shipment of Madden 2004....that was like alomst 300 copies between all the systems! I'm sure it is alot easier to put out like a couple display cases. Plus after working at Best Buy I can tell you EB's secuity methods are probably much more effective because determined shoplifters easily find their way around those tags and security cases.[/quote]

I don't doubt that it's not fun putting the games into security cases, every job has work that is tedious. I'm mostly speaking from a customer's prospective. I don't mean that BB or CC security measures are more efficient or that there couldn't be improvements. But using a different method of displaying games gets rid of the resealed new games issue.

Well, in update to my original posts on the subject I'd just like it to be noted that EB doesn't make you take the rewrapped games, they were quite amicable about taking it back and getting me a new copy so no complaints there. Also, I recommend filling out the little survey thingy that follows up the order. I did, relaying my experience with the guy on the phone telling me it wasn't standard practice to sell display copies as new, which I know it damn well is (and don't really mind,) and how it irked me. In response, an EB guy emailed me back with an apology and coupon code for 20 dollars off my next order.

We have a place here in Gainesville Fl, that started spreading out to the other southern states, called Rhino video games. They use a similar method that some TRU and other video places use. Which is using an empty case with a demo display cover sometimes color copies. Which would be a cheap method if they want to have a copy of the box on display.

Most of the games on display at me ebgames now are empty demo only cases. In addition ebgames has a sign next to the register discussing the lawsuit about reselling *new* games.

Luckally I have the Rhino store I talked about, Gamestop, Ebgames, and Tru all in the same plaza so if i have a problem with a purchase I just cancel it and go to another store.

Rhino's great...they pay a little more on trade-ins than EB/GS, and they have a pretty good selection of "old-school" games and accessories.

They're a little high on pricing sometimes, so you really need to have your wits about you before buying something you might find cheaper elsewhere.

I guess informed buying is important anywhere you shop! :lol:

re: EBG

The only thing EBG is good for, is buying really rare and expensive games cheap.

eBay works just fine if u want to buy someone else's scratched up games, at least then you "know" you are buying used.

To respond to "why doesn't EB just put out a single copy of a new title, instead of 5 or 6".

One word.........MARKETING.

When you walk into a store and see one copy of a game next to 6 copies of another game, which one cathes your eye first?

'NUff said.

bread's done
Back