New Gaming Router

sandaz93

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just bought a new laptop and figured my old router (a wireless-g that came with the ATT DSL service) wasn't holding up to par. I've being looking for a really good router for gaming and multiple wireless connections at the same. My friend recommended the Apple Airport Express, but I was wondering if anyone here had a better suggestion.

Thanks!

If you are still on DSL, a faster router is not going to improve your situation. The internet pipe out of your house will still be a bottleneck. Are you currently experiencing a problem with your network?

[quote name='dwhelan']If you are still on DSL, a faster router is not going to improve your situation. The internet pipe out of your house will still be a bottleneck. Are you currently experiencing a problem with your network?[/QUOTE]

If you're using a piece of shit router supplied by your internet company, then yes a new router will help your wireless connection.

If your connection sucks, there's really nothing that will drastically improve it speed wise other than increasing your connection speed.

A new router isn't going to magically make a 3Mbps DSL connection turn into a 20Mbps Fiber Optic connection. It will at best give you a small performance increase, although in many cases you will either not notice it or nothing will change.

The bottleneck is often your bandwidth. Yeah, a piece of shit router can cause problems, but over 90% of the time a new router will not impact your connection that much.

A faster router will probably only help with transfers from one computer inside your network to another. Think of it this way: your 3mbps (at best) DSL connection is trying to feed a 54 Mbps network. As the other CAGs have said, the real problem is your outside connection, not your router.

bread's done
Back