New Kmart Clearance Price Drops (YMMV)

Irsaan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got back from my first trip to Kmart since the incredibly terrible "10-50% off clearance games" ad from 2 weeks ago, and this time there were quite a few unannounced drops. What I saw was:

:ps3:
Bioshock GH $6.99 (previously $9.99)
Front Mission Evolved $9.99 (previously $19.99)
Rock Band Country Pack 2 $4.99 (previously ?)
Dragon Age II $17.99 (previously $19.99)
There were 3-4 other rock band track packs for $4.99 also (previously ?)

:360:
Bayonetta $9.99 (previously $19.99)

:ds:
Glory of Heracles $9.99 (previously $14.99)

If I go again in the next few days, I'll let everyone else know what else went down. Best of luck to everyone finding some other deals!

(PS, if I screwed this up somehow, sorry)

I guess SYWR figured after they gave me that free $100/100,000 points for that Sears tv cancellation during Black Friday week last year, I'm set on points from them. Lol! Haven't gotten anything from them in a while. Oh well. That was SUPER-NICE of them!:D

[quote name='StryderOmega']Any games you specifically remember? My Kmart has Final Fantasy III that I would like to pick up, but it was still $20 when I checked at the beginning of the month.[/QUOTE]

Wasnt FF3, I checked that myself.

I remember Heavy Rain for 9.97, and a bunch of PSP games in the bargain bin (Like Dantes Inferno)

[quote name='dgwillia006']Wasnt FF3, I checked that myself.

I remember Heavy Rain for 9.97, and a bunch of PSP games in the bargain bin (Like Dantes Inferno)[/QUOTE]

Damn, well I guess I will just keep waiting and hope they don't sell them. Also on another note, waiting for the Dragon Quests to drop even further. Been two months since their last drop just about.

For those that wanted to know what some of the clearance Wii titles are:

:wii: Rec Room Games
:wii: UDraw Dood's Big Adventure
:wii: Squeeballs Party
:wii: Centipede Infestation
:wii: The Amazing Race
:wii: Jillian Fitness Ultimatum 2011

:wii: DJ Hero 2 $1.99-$4.99
(Prices vary from store to store on this one since its marked as a penny in the system)

:ps3: Need for Speed the Run $9.97
(My store had the limited edition first run copies. Not sure if that matters)

[quote name='cbulas1']I've also gotten a free $8 in points this week alone. I tried to use the first $4 on a $20 PSN card the other day, but I was told that I couldn't use my points on a PSN card. Has anyone else had that experience before, or was that cashier just confused?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gotdott']I think that was something they implemented a few months ago[/QUOTE]

I haven't bought one in awhile but I used to do this with my rewards without problems, that would stink if they changed it. The other thing is that not all shopyourwayrewards points are created equal. Some are specific to department but if they show up in your total on the shopyourwayrewards site they should be good for anything.

[quote name='jkam']I haven't bought one in awhile but I used to do this with my rewards without problems, that would stink if they changed it. The other thing is that not all shopyourwayrewards points are created equal. Some are specific to department but if they show up in your total on the shopyourwayrewards site they should be good for anything.[/QUOTE]

Yea I haven't bought one with points since December or so either, I just remember people mentioning it no longer working sometime in Feb or March. It was nice to be able to get a few bucks off MSP when you couldn't find something else you wanted.

[quote name='cbulas1']I've also gotten a free $8 in points this week alone. I tried to use the first $4 on a $20 PSN card the other day, but I was told that I couldn't use my points on a PSN card. Has anyone else had that experience before, or was that cashier just confused?[/QUOTE]

Around March I tried to buy an iTunes card with free points and was told it won't apply since it is a gift card so I didn't press the issue since it was free points anyway.

[quote name='GBAstar']YMMV (flyer said valid only in certain states [mostly the Northeast]) but my store had an advertisement for Friday and Saturday of this week that said if you redeem up to 15,000 SYWR points ($15) they'll double it up to 30,000 points ($30).

It said expect more promotions on a store to store basis.

Might be good for some of you that have points to burn.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember which states it listed?

[quote name='OscillatingFerret']Do you remember which states it listed?[/QUOTE]
have the flyer here

valid only in stores in :CT,DE,IA,IL,IN,MA,ME,MI,MN,NH,NY,OH,PA,VT, AND WI

are Kmart deals ymmv or supposed to be in every store.

One of my local stores has the wii Goldeneye bundle but its still $49.99

[quote name='neonon19s']are Kmart deals ymmv or supposed to be in every store.

One of my local stores has the wii Goldeneye bundle but its still $49.99[/QUOTE]

They are ymmv

[quote name='yourlefthand']They are ymmv[/QUOTE]

No, they are not YMMV, and this statement is wrong. Here is the deal once again....

All original UPC's ring up the same price nationwide from the original cover art with the Kmart pricing system and how their scanners work.

The differences would be if:

1. The game is value priced with a separate sticker over the original UPC (can be 9.99 to 19.99).
2. The game has a clearance sticker or shelf sticker on it marking it less than the actual scanned price. This happens when the store puts the sale prices on the game or the shelf, and the price goes back up later without the employees fixing the price. Most Kmart's are good about honoring the price that is either on the game or the shelf when it is less.
3. The game has been taken out of the system all together, coming up for instance as "Check Shelf Price", meaning the employees will take the last marked price on the game or refuse to sell you it. However, it is believed that the official store policy is that they should scan it, find out last MSRP, and take 90% off price. Most of the time, the employees that do this are up front at the customers service desk, and electronics employees don't realize this is the case or don't want to have the hassle.

The "YMMV" situation/belief comes from the last, and it is routinely reported that games such as this are different prices. In addition, CAGers will say a game is "marked" a certain price in cases, and use those prices in reporting. A store in Nevada is no different than a store in Maryland when ringing up a price on a normal basis.

[quote name='NeedMoreMoney']No, they are not YMMV, and this statement is wrong. Here is the deal once again....

All original UPC's ring up the same price nationwide from the original cover art with the Kmart pricing system and how their scanners work.

The differences would be if:

1. The game is value priced with a separate sticker over the original UPC (can be 9.99 to 19.99).
2. The game has a clearance sticker or shelf sticker on it marking it less than the actual scanned price. This happens when the store puts the sale prices on the game or the shelf, and the price goes back up later without the employees fixing the price. Most Kmart's are good about honoring the price that is either on the game or the shelf when it is less.
3. The game has been taken out of the system all together, coming up for instance as "Check Shelf Price", meaning the employees will take the last marked price on the game or refuse to sell you it. However, it is believed that the official store policy is that they should scan it, find out last MSRP, and take 90% off price. Most of the time, the employees that do this are up front at the customers service desk, and electronics employees don't realize this is the case or don't want to have the hassle.

The "YMMV" situation/belief comes from the last, and it is routinely reported that games such as this are different prices. In addition, CAGers will say a game is "marked" a certain price in cases, and use those prices in reporting. A store in Nevada is no different than a store in Maryland when ringing up a price on a normal basis.[/QUOTE]

So if I understand you correctly...

Games are universally the same price, but in some situations they might have a different UPC, special sticker or following policies, yet this isn't YMMV because... I don't know, you say so? :roll:

Seriously though, that's pretty much the very definition of YMMV.

[quote name='NineH']Around March I tried to buy an iTunes card with free points and was told it won't apply since it is a gift card so I didn't press the issue since it was free points anyway.[/QUOTE]
Gift cards never work with SYWR points. PSN cards and MSP cards did but that stopped early this year around March.

[quote name='htz']Gift cards never work with SYWR points. PSN cards and MSP cards did but that stopped early this year around March.[/QUOTE]

That's weird considering I had to exchange my daughters shoes today and they were playing over the speaker how you can use the points towards your prescription drugs.

One of my local stores has the wii Goldeneye bundle but its still $49.99[/QUOTE]

Yes. Many times they can be YMMV. Some stores are slower than others at dropping prices. Be sure to scan/have items scanned.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Yes. Many times they can be YMMV. Some stores are slower than others at dropping prices. Be sure to scan/have items scanned.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, Kmart stores have no control in changing the prices of the games because it is done within the system as a whole. Best Buy for instance, has the same situation occur and when the game has been marked down it is the same nationwide.

And to the above poster, you are wrong again. The value sticker price (which a separate sticker is placed over the original cover art UPC and usually the front top of the game has the price clearly visible) would not be YMMV? That is a separate priced game. Commonly, you can find a value priced game right next to a clearanced price game without the value sticker price.

It should be made clear. If the game is value priced, ignore the damn thing. Clearanced games do not have a sticker placed over the original UPC. This is not the "definition of YMMV".

Goldeneye was 19.99 for a weekly sale, it has not been clearanced. That sale is over so it is back to 49.99.

The Goldeneye Wii bundle was a weekly sale after being removed from clearance. It's back up to full retail now.

[quote name='NeedMoreMoney']Wrong, Kmart stores have no control in changing the prices of the games because it is done within the system as a whole. Best Buy for instance, has the same situation occur and when the game has been marked down it is the same nationwide.

And to the above poster, you are wrong again. The value sticker price (which a separate sticker is placed over the original cover art UPC and usually the front top of the game has the price clearly visible) would not be YMMV? That is a separate priced game. Commonly, you can find a value priced game right next to a clearanced price game without the value sticker price.

It should be made clear. If the game is value priced, ignore the damn thing. Clearanced games do not have a sticker placed over the original UPC. This is not the "definition of YMMV".[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Kmart Clearance Thread.:error:

It is a proven FACT that Kmart clearance prices can be YMMV. Too many of us have found the same clearance items at different prices, from time to time. I have found different prices(at different stores), on the same item, by my self. And, I'm not speaking on those value stickers.

Maybe there are Kmart's elsewhere and you live outside of the United States, but IN the US, YMMV clearance deals are NOT uncommon.

You are wrong, and it just leads to the confusion that other people deal with. CAGers commonly see a sticker price in this thread, and don't bother checking the price because of posts like yours. The Kmart system can not be altered. It is not like Walmart's, which requires the managers to change the prices manually. When a game has been clearanced or discounted, it is done the same nationwide. I live in the U.S., so have no idea what you are referring to.

[quote name='NeedMoreMoney']You are wrong, and it just leads to the confusion that other people deal with. CAGers commonly see a sticker price in this thread, and don't bother checking the price because of posts like yours. The Kmart system can not be altered. It is not like Walmart's, which requires the managers to change the prices manually. When a game has been clearanced or discounted, it is done the same nationwide. I live in the U.S., so have no idea what you are referring to.[/QUOTE]
I have found games that others reported as clearance, brought to the counter and told it was a higher price. A normal buyer would just buy it to save face, a CAG like me will bring it back to the shelf:cool:

Also, are there KMarts outside of US?

I'm not really sure why you're so insistent about the prices not being YMMV. I've been to 4 stores in the same area one after another and found the same game at each store and had it scan for a different price at the various stores. Hell, the other week when I made that loop I'm pretty sure I came across something that was current MSRP at one store, higher at another, and two different clearance prices at the other two. All the same packaging, no stickers, etc. I worked retail long enough to know that such cases where an old product gets a new barcode are extremely rare because it seriously inconveniences everyone and leads to problems. The only times that I can even think of that you generally see that happen is when an old product is significantly changed and meant to be sold at a higher price point, it's a holiday doorbuster sort of item that is a one off shipment not to be replenished, or is a dump bin item where they're all stickered to a UPC that returns a generic item. Then again I know for a fact that I've scanned and bought clearance games higher and lower than other CAG's have over the last 8 years I've been clearance hunting at Kmart.

Is it odd that I remember the first game I found and bought (well there were others the same day but it was the first I spotted) on clearance at Kmart? Mortal Kombat Deception Kollectors Edition with that scary chick in pink who had no face when she took her veil off. That would be a fun side thread one day: The first game you remember scoring on Kmart clearance!

[quote name='StryderOmega']So your telling me it took 5 years plus for Kmart to bring Two Worlds 1 to $30 clearance price?[/QUOTE]

They still had big cardboard pictures of last gen controllers marking the game section at my local store like six months ago. They might still be there, actually. I stopped noticing.

Point is it's Kmart. These things shouldn't surprise you. ;)

[quote name='NeedMoreMoney']You are wrong, and it just leads to the confusion that other people deal with. CAGers commonly see a sticker price in this thread, and don't bother checking the price because of posts like yours. The Kmart system can not be altered. It is not like Walmart's, which requires the managers to change the prices manually. When a game has been clearanced or discounted, it is done the same nationwide. I live in the U.S., so have no idea what you are referring to.[/QUOTE]

A lot of us are scanning the games at Kmart or have the employees scan them for us. Numerous people using this method have reported different prices here in this thread. This is the very definition of YMMV.

And there is no way that Best Buy markdowns are universal at all stores. Some stores drop prices on an individual basis (such as a manager's special), and that price in no way filters to any other store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the value games here do not have stickers over the original UPC but they have the value game sticker in which case I assume they are using the original UpC and just changing the price in the system.

As I said before the employees can change the prices in the system with the handheld scanner, I have seen it done with my own eyes when employees mark up stuff that is on clearance.

Still no luck with finding Dante's Inferno Divine Edition or LOTR: War in the North for $4.97, however, I picked up Tron: Evolution today. Reviews were so-so (avg. 6/10), and I'm not big into futuristic games too much.. but with a few bucks in rewards points I had sitting in my account, the total came to 9 cents. Hopefully, I get my 9 cents worth.

Yea a the good stuff is gone, I keep having to debate if o should grab something so the trip isnt wasted. I gotten a shirt and a poster so far but no games.

I remember when the SHC rep used to post in threads about price drops.
He said stores were notified and given a date by which they were expected to have updated the price in their systems.
This was back in 2011, so while i would love to say they have greatly updated their approach since then, evidence shows otherwise.

[quote name='ets']Yea a the good stuff is gone, I keep having to debate if o should grab something so the trip isnt wasted. I gotten a shirt and a poster so far but no games.[/QUOTE]

At some point I had a big backlog of mediocre and bad games with a few good games thrown in. It's just not worth it. I don't buy bad games anymore no matter the price.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie'] Be sure to scan/have items scanned.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='NeedMoreMoney'] CAGers commonly see a sticker price in this thread, and don't bother checking the price because of posts like yours. [/QUOTE]

;)

[quote name='Blaster man']At some point I had a big backlog of mediocre and bad games with a few good games thrown in. It's just not worth it. I don't buy bad games anymore no matter the price.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh! RUN! :lol:

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie'];)

Uh oh! RUN! :lol:[/QUOTE]
I know, it's sacrilege here! It's just not worth it, why spend my time playing bad games that piss me off? I don't play games to get pissed off, I play games to have fun and enjoy them. Mediocre games I'll buy on the cheap if they're something I know will interest me or that I'll like.

I stopped by our local store as I was in the area and managed to score Dirt 3 for $9.95. It was marked reduced $14.95, but I scanned to see if it was lower and I won.

[quote name='Blaster man']At some point I had a big backlog of mediocre and bad games with a few good games thrown in. It's just not worth it. I don't buy bad games anymore no matter the price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've fortunately managed to get a handle on not buying bad games (well excluding Steam sales and bundles), now I really need to wrangle the mediocre and the genres I don't enjoy enough out of my compulsive shopping. Then maybe one day I can skip buying games that I want to play but not actually own beyond that.

There really is no point to argue. I am very clear in that the normal scan of an item that has been clearanced or on sale is the same at any Kmart throughout the country. I have seen about 4 posts not agreeing with me, but only one post interests me in saying that the Kmart employee can change the price with the personal scanner. I know for a fact that is not true.

When Josh was in this forum, it was clear the Kmarts nationwide were the same for sales and clearance items. The problem was when there was a nice Kmart sale, the Kmart's would not turn off their registers the night before, which then would not allow the activation for the the sale. The problem would occur then for that particular sale for the first 1 or 2 days. Is that possible here? Sure... However, never once did he say that the stores/manager were given a date they had to update the games by.

Oh well, I'm done debating the situation, but I have been to well over 20 Kmart stores for these situations, and all are the same. I will stick to my statement, when a game has been clearanced/sale, all stores are the same price.

There should have been new drops yesterday(Sunday) since it was the third Sunday of the month.

The tags I saw on electronics clearance from previous months were all dated from the third Sunday of that month.

On a side note, does anyone have the upc for the Alice Madness Returns 360 version from Kmart? I'd like to get a local store to check nearby stock.

I checked mines two weeks ago, only thing that was on clearance in store was :ps2: Tekken 4 for $9.99, :360: Sims 3 for $9.97, and :360: Saints Row Double Pack for $14.97. I'm not sure these were good deals or not.

It all depends on the store doing their markdowns on time. Some stores don't & some stores do. I used to do inventory at many different Kmarts & many times I'd find the same game at different price points. I may even have receipts from different stores in the same day that show this as proof, I'll have to look later. But for the most part Kmart clearance is YMMV. You are just fortunate & lucky to have universal prices at yours. I started the very first Kmart clearance thread way back. I have been to Kmarts in as many as 9 different states & probably more than 60 different stores so I don't think many of you can argue with my statement. I doubt that any of you have been to more stores than I have. ;)
[quote name='NeedMoreMoney']There really is no point to argue. I am very clear in that the normal scan of an item that has been clearanced or on sale is the same at any Kmart throughout the country. I have seen about 4 posts not agreeing with me, but only one post interests me in saying that the Kmart employee can change the price with the personal scanner. I know for a fact that is not true.

When Josh was in this forum, it was clear the Kmarts nationwide were the same for sales and clearance items. The problem was when there was a nice Kmart sale, the Kmart's would not turn off their registers the night before, which then would not allow the activation for the the sale. The problem would occur then for that particular sale for the first 1 or 2 days. Is that possible here? Sure... However, never once did he say that the stores/manager were given a date they had to update the games by.

Oh well, I'm done debating the situation, but I have been to well over 20 Kmart stores for these situations, and all are the same. I will stick to my statement, when a game has been clearanced/sale, all stores are the same price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sky Ray']I checked mines two weeks ago, only thing that was on clearance in store was :ps2: Tekken 4 for $9.99, :360: Sims 3 for $9.97, and :360: Saints Row Double Pack for $14.97. I'm not sure these were good deals or not.[/QUOTE]

I, personally, think that Saint's Row one is. I need another copy since I traded mine, and I can't even find them used (not on ebay or anything, I don't really use it) for less than $20.

I have personally seen employees mark up clearance items with a handheld scanner, but this was back in 2000 or 2001 or somewhere around that time period. Something could have changed since then and again, this was just for clearance items, not regular ones and I only saw it in the toy department. I am sure you have to be department manager or a higher up to be able to do this. However I doubt Kmart ever bothered to upgrade their POS system's since the 1980's based on how the store operates (they still use manual override sheets at the registers that the employees have to feed into the registers).

Has anyone else been here long enough to remember a toy clearance markup in the fall before the holiday season I believe it was right before the 2001 holiday season? They had toys like original tamagotchi's for 1.50 and then they marked them up to $10-11 each. That is just one specific example. I really wish I would have brought home more of those Tamagotchi. I made a small fortune on them on ebay selling them years later however I could have definitely bought more for the $1.50 price of each one as I only had about 4-5 and there were tons at the store.

I also have another question, do we have any evidence that Kmart is actually restickering games with value stickers? Or are they getting these value games from another source, already pre-stickered? I know in my store that some of the value stickered games still have their original UPC exposed and no other UPC on the package. However the games ring up the value sticker price. Some of these games are ringing up value sticker price, but other people in this thread report that the games are a lower price at their store. There are also other games with a UPC sticker over the original UPC. So this is another thing that makes me want to think that its possible for Kmart employees to change the price in the system.

I have also personally seen walmart employees change prices in the system with a handheld scanner, or some other device that would be close to a handheld scanner. I have said this before on here but for the new people the way walmart works is that they have a certain amount of money allocated for each department's clearance, say 3k for example. They then have to spread that throughout all of the items that need to be clearanced for that department. Several years ago, may have been about 2006 or so, I just happened to be in the toy department at walmart when they were doing clearance and I overheard a conversation among some employees that described how the system works. I have never worked for walmart. The employees were haphazardly marking down the items in a very arbitrary way, some items were going from $50 to $3 and other's were being marked down more incrementally. Again, this was a few years ago so perhaps something has changed.

I have found Sears to be pretty uniform with pricing, when someone on here reported a 3DS for $99.97, I was able to print a barcode for the system and scan it at a couple stores and get the same price at each one for the same 3DS system. I eventually purchased the system at the store that had some left. I am sure other people have different experiences with Sears though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='OscillatingFerret']psp valkryia chronicles. - $14.97
ps3 red faction Armageddon $9.97
360 top spin 4 $9.97[/QUOTE]

Orly? I passed on Valk 2 at $20 but $15 sounds more palatable. Anyone confirm?

[quote name='SaraAB']I have personally seen employees mark up clearance items with a handheld scanner, but this was back in 2000 or 2001 or somewhere around that time period. Something could have changed since then and again, this was just for clearance items, not regular ones and I only saw it in the toy department. I am sure you have to be department manager or a higher up to be able to do this. However I doubt Kmart ever bothered to upgrade their POS system's since the 1980's based on how the store operates (they still use manual override sheets at the registers that the employees have to feed into the registers).

Has anyone else been here long enough to remember a toy clearance markup in the fall before the holiday season I believe it was right before the 2001 holiday season? They had toys like original tamagotchi's for 1.50 and then they marked them up to $10-11 each. That is just one specific example. I really wish I would have brought home more of those Tamagotchi. I made a small fortune on them on ebay selling them years later however I could have definitely bought more for the $1.50 price of each one as I only had about 4-5 and there were tons at the store.

I also have another question, do we have any evidence that Kmart is actually restickering games with value stickers? Or are they getting these value games from another source, already pre-stickered? I know in my store that some of the value stickered games still have their original UPC exposed and no other UPC on the package. However the games ring up the value sticker price. Some of these games are ringing up value sticker price, but other people in this thread report that the games are a lower price at their store. There are also other games with a UPC sticker over the original UPC. So this is another thing that makes me want to think that its possible for Kmart employees to change the price in the system.

[/QUOTE]

When I worked at kmart(left in 05/2012) Most Kmart employees do not have the ability to change price in the RMU(hand held scanner). The option to get into it is locked down to specific employees, and if they try to change it it will go to the Store Manager for approval, and then I believe the Regional Manager then has to sign off on it, but can take effect after Store Manager approved. There was also a list of price change requests every day printed out and any non-approved or change attempt for no reason were disciplined if needed.

The ones with the abilities to enter a new price in the RMU are department leads, but like I said have to be approved higher up after change attempt and will not take effect immediately. This is also why when there is a error with items in the AD not scanning correct price that it has to be manually overridden each time normally for atleast the rest of that day until they get proper approval to change.

The clearance items were often not marked and if they were it was just a change in the small stick that showed price, unless they were on the need to go clearance price. The electronics employees receive a print out of new prices and the date they take effect, they do not change the price themselves but Corporate would set it up to be uniform across atleast the region.

The kmart I worked at did not have manual override sheet, they had a simiple popup that required supervisor to come over enter a code, and it was overridden and sped up the process alot the two years i worked there.

Most employees had no idea how to do anything on the RMU that wasn't scanning prices, or location scanning, which was the only things ever taught on them, if anything was trained.

Meaning you shouldn't be worried about employee price fixing

[quote name='SaraAB']I have found Sears to be pretty uniform with pricing, when someone on here reported a 3DS for $99.97, I was able to print a barcode for the system and scan it at a couple stores and get the same price at each one for the same 3DS system. I eventually purchased the system at the store that had some left. I am sure other people have different experiences with Sears though.[/QUOTE]

It's the same ymmv situation at Sears as Kmart. If the particular store doesn't process the drops properly, then the clearanced item has the outdated price. During the last clearance cycle with the vita accessories, for example, I got all the accessories for the prices reported in the Sears thread, except for the vita charging cradle. That only dropped a few dollars from msrp. Later on when I checked, it was back up to normal msrp. It never made it to the $3 level or so that was reported by numerous CAGs.

lol @ SHC clearance not being "YMMV".

SHC stores are the definition of YMMV from the advertised weekly sales, to the SYWR promotions applying correctly, and yes all the way down to what the games will ring up as in the bin.

bread's done
Back