New Metallica CD - $5 @ Hot Topic *Friday Only*

argyle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
124 (100%)
I swung by Hot Topic tonight to see if they had the new Metallica cd - figured they'd be doing the cd + t-shirt deal on it. They didn't, but they guy working there said cryptically "Friday - and you'll want to be here to get it." I asked him if they were doing the cd + t-shirt thing, and he says "no, it's much better." Before I left, he said that the company had told them not to spread the deal in-store but that they should post about it on myspace, etc. No idea why, but I said ok & got his myspace tag to add him.

Long story short, the deal is $5 for the cd Friday only, plus "select Metallica t-shirts" for $5 as well. Not too shabby. :)

I have never shopped there, I've avoided it. $5 sounds like a great deal for any new release, so I guess I'll go in and out real quick. Kinda like holding your breathe when throwing out some smelly garbage or something. $5 shirts isn't that bad either.

[quote name='Blackout']so I guess I'll go in and out real quick. Kinda like holding your breathe when throwing out some smelly garbage or something. $5 shirts isn't that bad either.[/quote]

Yea, that's the best way to deal with the store. Possibly wear some sort of hazmat suit, for safety.

[quote name='argyle']Eh, Hot Topic isn't that bad. I mean, sure, they have some emo stuff, but they have a lot of cool stuff too.[/QUOTE]
Don't say that. All the whiny bitches will flame you and call you emo. Sad world we live in ain't it?

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Don't say that. All the whiny bitches will flame you and call you emo. Sad world we live in ain't it?[/QUOTE]

Heh, I know, but that's ok. ;)

I found the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack on picture disk LP's a few years back there. Also found a set of Nintendo dominos. :p

More recently, I've gotten some great deals on t-shirts, a cd or two, etc. I'll admit my selection for "unique" stores is somewhat limited, living in the heart of the South - but imo HT isn't a bad store at all.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Don't say that. All the whiny bitches will flame you and call you emo. Sad world we live in ain't it?[/quote]

Only dorks shop at Hot Topic. It's all a bunch of 15 year olds and their moms buying them pants with 40 chains on them and shitty Atreyu t-shirts. If you can't find t-shirts in your area I understand but living in Chicago (or any regular-big size city) there's no reason for a sane person to go in there.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I really wish I had a hot topic, the one we had closed down. Anyone willing to pick me one up?[/QUOTE]
With the price of tax, shipping, and waiting for it to come then you are better buying it for $10 at another store

[quote name='Blackout']Only dorks shop at Hot Topic. It's all a bunch of 15 year olds and their moms buying them pants with 40 chains on them and shitty Atreyu t-shirts. If you can't find t-shirts in your area I understand but living in Chicago (or any regular-big size city) there's no reason for a sane person to go in there.[/quote]
And here comes the shit storm. *takes out popcorn and waits for other dumbass people from internetz* All I read is "I'm one of those people that thinks it's cool to make fun of it, look at my superiority on the internet". Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to any of emo music or buy anything other than shirts but I'm not part of the "cool" crowd and their Hot Topic hating.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']And here comes the shit storm. *takes out popcorn and waits for other dumbass people from internetz* All I read is "I'm one of those people that thinks it's cool to make fun of it, look at my superiority on the internet". Don't get me wrong, I don't listen to any of emo music or buy anything other than shirts but I'm not part of the "cool" crowd and their Hot Topic hating.[/quote]

Um, no. I don't need to feel like my balls are big by posting on the internet. What, I can't dislike a store? What is the "cool" crowd thing? They don't exclusively sell "emo" music merchandise. They attempt to sell metal merchandise and they fail. On epic levels. I went in there once with my friend who was buying an MGS shirt, and I asked the guy there if they had any Motorhead shirts. He didn't even know who Motorhead were. Now I have no idea how a dude working at a supposed "underground" store does not know who Motorhead is. But that's another issue altogether.

Anyway, thanks for posting the deal OP.

Anyway, question for OP. Did you see any of the shirts that will be $5? I don't want anything from St. Anger era since I don't like the metallica logo from those times.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MikeHoncho']Someone didn't know Motorhead? OMG, now I know that store is for dorks/end sarcasm
I understand if it was Iron Maiden or some other burned out band but maybe he just didn't like metal. Every thought of that possibility? If I don't like the genre then I wouldn't really pay attention to the bands that play it

Anyway, question for OP. Did you see any of the shirts that will be $5? I don't want anything from St. Anger era since I don't like the metallica logo from those times.[/quote]

Well for a store that claims to be underground etc, I would assume he would know who Motorhead was, there not some hardcore obscure band or something. If they are going to attempt to sell metal stuff at their store they could at least pretend they know what they're talking about. I could have asked the guy who Metallica was and he probably wouldn't know.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Anyway, question for OP. Did you see any of the shirts that will be $5? I don't want anything from St. Anger era since I don't like the metallica logo from those times.[/QUOTE]

Nope, sorry - since I couldn't read about the deal until I got home I didn't get to check to see which shirts would be on sale. I will say that most of the shirts I remember seeing I liked - they're new shirts, but they are done in the style of their older stuff (80's-era looking logos/designs). Hopefully those are the ones in the sale.

[quote name='Blackout']If you can't find t-shirts in your area I understand but living in Chicago (or any regular-big size city) there's no reason for a sane person to go in there.[/quote]

QFT. I've stepped foot into the store twice, once for a track jacket (Transformers, I be massive sucker.) and once for an MSI shirt. (Cheaper than ordering online, shipping.) Both times, I was out of the area though. None locally, oddly enough. I'm not gonna say its just for emos, I'm gonna say its overall aimed at the MTV-loving general audience that has no original taste in music and is spoonfed what to/not to like.

[quote name='Blackout']Well for a store that claims to be underground etc, I would assume he would know who Motorhead was, there not some hardcore obscure band or something. If they are going to attempt to sell metal stuff at their store they could at least pretend they know what they're talking about. I could have asked the guy who Metallica was and he probably wouldn't know.[/quote]
Since when was Hot Topic "underground" and when did they ever say that? I mean if used to be their motto then don't listen to it, McDonalds motto is "Im Lovin it" but I personally think it tastes kinda bad so it just shows that they lie

Also to OP: Thanks, I might go check it out and pick up a shirt or two.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Since when was Hot Topic "underground" and when did they ever say that? I mean if used to be their motto then don't listen to it, McDonalds motto is "Im Lovin it" but I personally think it tastes kinda bad so it just shows that they lie[/quote]

They are the store that is the "alternative" to the MTV hip hop crowd. People shop there because they can't waltz into Wal-Mart and buy an Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt.

[quote name='Blackout']They are the store that is the "alternative" to the MTV hip hop crowd. People shop there because they can't waltz into Wal-Mart and buy an Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt.[/quote]
And the alternative to hip hop is Rock, but your whole underground thing still isn't proven. Sure you can't walk in to Wal Mart and buy a band shirt but I doubt I can go in and buy a Tupac shirt or something similar. I see what you are trying to get at by saying that hip hop dominates so it's the only mainstream stuff but that doesn't make rock underground or Hot topic.

There's only 1 specific tee that's going to be $5 on Friday. It's a black tee with a silver "Metallica" logo on it.

This is not one of the tees that are currently available in the stores...the shirt, like the CD, can't be sold until Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 bucks a shirt!!! no way, they normally sell there shirts for 20+, overcharged bs

im so there. buying every shirt they have.

[quote name='bmachine']There's only 1 specific tee that's going to be $5 on Friday. It's a black tee with a silver "Metallica" logo on it.

This is not one of the tees that are currently available in the stores...the shirt, like the CD, can't be sold until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up. Still, for $5 I'll snag one. :)

I think i'll try and get on this, since i've been listenign to Master of Puppets lately and keep forgetting to DL their music. But I like having a hard copy of CDs, so i'll try and get it. But then I have to go into an emo store. So it's 50-50 for me

The new metallica cd isn't bad there new songs kinda sound like there old stuff of course we all know that there old stuff is the best. If stores would charge $5 a cd I would buy cds again, and i think many others would too. Untill then I'll settle for flac and 320 mp3s.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Don't say that. All the whiny bitches will flame you and call you emo. Sad world we live in ain't it?[/quote]

Last time I was in a Hot Topic (many, many years ago) they were listening to Dashboard Confessional, so they can't call anyone a whiny emo kid.

Just got back with mine. I really like the cd so far - sounds like pre-black album stuff. Shirt is just a black shirt w/ a silver old-style Metallica logo on the front. Got 2, one for me & one for the fiancee. Good stuff. :)

[quote name='guyver2077']so this is official?[/quote]

Yup.

[quote name='dbzzx']Instore only? its 9.99 on site.[/quote]

The $5 pricetag is in-store only. And today only, actually...it'll go up to $9.99 at opening tomorrow.

Hot Topic should do that with all new releases. $10 gets you a shirt and CD.

I'm aware that it's probably a partnership with the record label allowing them to sell it like this, but still.

I picked up the cd. I think $5 was my limit for this release so I'm good.

[quote name='techstar25']Hot Topic should do that with all new releases. $10 gets you a shirt and CD.

I'm aware that it's probably a partnership with the record label allowing them to sell it like this, but still.[/quote]

HT typically does a $20 CD/tee bundle for a new release every Tuesday. The Metallica thing is kind of a special deal, obviously.

If you're into Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, Escape the Fate, or the Death Note live-action movie you might want to check back at your friendly neighborhood Hot Topic later in the month. ;)

I can't comment on the logistics of the Metallica promo but, rest assured, Metallica and Warner Bros. Records are being paid full "cost" price for this CD.

[quote name='bmachine']HT typically does a $20 CD/tee bundle for a new release every Tuesday. The Metallica thing is kind of a special deal, obviously.

If you're into Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, Escape the Fate, or the Death Note live-action movie you might want to check back at your friendly neighborhood Hot Topic later in the month. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping they do that bundle deal with the new Within Temptation cd that's coming out this month. They already have the shirts for the new album, and they're very nice.

[quote name='Blackout']I picked up the cd. I think $5 was my limit for this release so I'm good.[/quote]

Shoot, I should have asked you to pick up one for me. They prolly won't have too many left by the time I get over there.

Picked up the CD, and I think I'll go back and grab a shirt if they still have some. I wasn't going to buy this CD after St. Anger, but at $5.00 I decided to bite.

It's definitely better than St. Anger, but that's like saying someone is taller than Verne Troyer. Not hard to accomplish at all.

The trouble with Hot Topic is they hate fat people. Therefore, they never get a chance to have some of my money. If they'd carry anything over an XL I am in shock, let alone a 3X.

[quote name='the4thnobleman']The trouble with Hot Topic is they hate fat people. Therefore, they never get a chance to have some of my money. If they'd carry anything over an XL I am in shock, let alone a 3X.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't sound like Hot Topic's problem to me.

[quote name='munch']This doesn't sound like Hot Topic's problem to me.[/quote]

This.

Also. This album isn't anything special. To the person that said it sounds like Pre-Black Album stuff...No. It doesn't. It's better than St. Anger, but I'll take Ride the Lightning or Kill em All any day of the week. This has no classical influence whatsoever, nor does it have a point, as the whole record just seems aimless and thrown together.

[quote name='redshadow']Also. This album isn't anything special. To the person that said it sounds like Pre-Black Album stuff...No. It doesn't. It's better than St. Anger, but I'll take Ride the Lightning or Kill em All any day of the week. This has no classical influence whatsoever, nor does it have a point, as the whole record just seems aimless and thrown together.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* to each his own I suppose. I've listened to it several times today, and I really like it. It is VERY reminiscent of their old stuff imo. The songs are longer and much more complex than anything they've put out on their past 3 albums. It's a return to form imo. I've been anything but a Metallica fan for years now, but this album has brought me back around.

[quote name='the4thnobleman']The trouble with Hot Topic is they hate fat people. Therefore, they never get a chance to have some of my money. If they'd carry anything over an XL I am in shock, let alone a 3X.[/quote]

The new Metallica CD is one-size-fits-all.

bread's done
Back