New Mortal Kombat Tournament/Kollector's Edition @ Gamestop $99.99/$149.99 360/PS3

TheNeck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Pre-order only, not out till April 26, 2011 according to Amazon.

Kollector's Edition Info
-Kollectible figurines of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game ‘bookends’ for your favorite Mortal Kombat games.
-A 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat.

Tournament Edition Info
-Mortal Kombat Fight Stick (More information about the joystick, thanks wargamer.)
-High quality, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance
-Features the classic Mortal Kombat ergonomic button layout to best optimize game play.
-Flip open lid for easy arcade part customization access and storage.

360 Kollector's Editon $99.99
PS3 Kollector's Edition $99.99

360 Tournament Edition
$149.99
PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99

Amazon PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99
Amazon 360 Tournament Edition $149.99
(thanks bojay1997 for the link to amazon)

I can't decide which one to pre-order. :whistle2:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, the fact that the stick flips open, allowing for easy modding and even storage is pretty cool. But with the MK button layout, this stick probably would never be used for Street Fighter or anything like that. So it would be a stick for one game.
I love those bookends though. I would probably go with the Kollector's, except the different fatalities for different retailers thing is kinda pissing me off.

I guess I've got time to think on it though.

You know, in a way it's cool they're releasing an arcade stick in the MK layout. But, they bad thing is that as far as I know MK is the only game that uses that layout (at least nowadays).

Not sure about anybody else but I don't think I could justify buying a joystick JUST for one game (well one new game, several if you want to include XBLA games and stuff). At least the SF layout is essentially the same as tons of other fighters.

[quote name='JKSonic']You know, in a way it's cool they're releasing an arcade stick in the MK layout. But, they bad thing is that as far as I know MK is the only game that uses that layout (at least nowadays).

Not sure about anybody else but I don't think I could justify buying a joystick JUST for one game (well one new game, several if you want to include XBLA games and stuff). At least the SF layout is essentially the same as tons of other fighters.[/QUOTE]

It's called "Tournament Edition" for a reason. Likely the package will only be worth it to you if you intend to participate in tournaments, or you're REALLY enthusiastic about Mortal Kombat :).

[quote name='Darth Indy']I'm pretty sure he did the same spine rip as Sub-Zero.[/QUOTE]
Didn't he eat your body parts from head torso and feet

[quote name='finstersucks']sort of want, but will definitely will wait. I seen a Tekken 6 epic price drop on these.[/QUOTE]

tekken 6 was complete crap. this game will outsell sf4 and mvc3.

fatalaties > shoryuken

instant buy for me

I might go with the kollectors ps3 version at launch and get the tournament version once it drops. It would be cool playing the Psn mortal combat games using that stick.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is the fucking ugliest button layout I've ever seen in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you never played the series in the arcade - it's replicated as such.

But I am not arguing against you either - it was a bitch in the arcade to hit that run button and it still is now. But can't beat the authenticity.

damn that's a cool controller....but between my wireless tekken, street fighter te and blaze blu controllers i really don't need another

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been so long since one of these been in the arcades I doubt many can even play it without a console controller so I bet many will only buy it for the cool factor.

[quote name='VidPower']Holy crap! HAPP parts?!?!?! Really? HAPP?!?!?!?!

For those that don't know, American arcade cabinets are typically made with HAPP parts. You can quickly identify a HAPP joystick because it is shaped like a bat. HAPP is the gold standard for American parts. For Japanese parts, Sanwa is the gold standard. A Sanwa joystick is the joystick that has the gumball at the top.

This stick has the potential to rival the Madcatz TE sticks in terms of build quality and having arcade perfect parts in it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, HAPP used to high quality. However I'm not sure they are the gold standard anymore, their contract ran out and now they are pushing out less than stellar joysticks. I just bought one not too long ago and it is not even close to the IL. The MK stick does look awesome though, I will just have to switch out the SUZO-HAPP stick.

[quote name='bojay1997']I seriously doubt the sales of the SF TE stick was 20K units. In fact, I'm guessing that between all the various versions and runs of the sticks they'd be lucky if they had built and sold 20K over the last two years. That's a ton for something that costs $150 and will only appeal to hardcore gamers who need a MK specific button layout. I'm sorry, but I feel like we have this debate with every limited edition and with the exception of a tiny percentage, they never sell out and always have a price drop. This one will too.[/QUOTE]

^
This guy gets it. They can say what they want, but I'm from Missouri - you've got to show me.

[quote name='GUNNM']Didn't he eat your body parts from head torso and feet[/QUOTE]

That was in MK3/UMK3

[quote name='nikkai']But I am not arguing against you either - it was a bitch in the arcade to hit that run button and it still is now. But can't beat the authenticity.[/QUOTE]

It was actually pretty easy, your thumb hit it. You wouldn't even have to move your hand the way the controller was laid out.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is the fucking ugliest button layout I've ever seen in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

The 1990s called. They want their Mortal Kombat insults back.

Holy shit, I might just get two of each stick. I never thought a major home release of the Mortal Kombat layout would ever happen.

[quote name='JKSonic']You know, in a way it's cool they're releasing an arcade stick in the MK layout. But, they bad thing is that as far as I know MK is the only game that uses that layout (at least nowadays).[/QUOTE]

Plug the stick into your PC. Load up an emulator. Instant win.

It's part of the reason why I'm contemplating getting two of each system's sticks. Two for the 360 so I can use them on my PC for emulators, and two for my PS3 because I don't have a 360 at the moment.

Shouldnt this just go in general gaming instead of the DEALs thread since it ISNT a deal? Its just msrp.

It will be a deal in a couple months when you can pick these up for half price.

[quote name='gargus']Shouldnt this just go in general gaming instead of the DEALs thread since it ISNT a deal? Its just msrp.[/QUOTE]These MSRP threads don't seem to get moved.

i'll order the tourney edition when amazon has it available. It's a really cool fightstick and I suspect the Kollector's Edition will go down a lot faster than the TE.

I'm not sure I see the appeal unless you are hardcore about the button layout. For the same price, you can get a more multi-purposed SF4 TE stick and the MK game for about the same price with some moderate deal hunting. And that's assuming you don't have a TE stick already.

Also, can it really be "quality" when it comes bundled with a $60 game? That means the stick is only a "$90" stick.

Again, if you want the button layout and have the cash, Go For It. It's fanservice.
But if you are looking for a fighting stick, I think there are better/cheaper options out there.

As awesome as that stick looks, It's been so long since I've played MK with a stick, I don't know if I could. I played the crap out of MKII on SNES and Genesis. The SFIV fightpad layout is a lot like the 6-button genesis controller. I might be better off playing this game with one of those. My wallet will be better off too.

[quote name='Darknuke']i'll order the tourney edition when amazon has it available. It's a really cool fightstick and I suspect the Kollector's Edition will go down a lot faster than the TE.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think alot of people are expecting this to go plummett in price like the Tekken bundle. The difference is that the Tekken bundle came with a terrible stick and a mediocre game. This stick looks like it will be high quality, and the game (I'm hoping) will be epic.

Just an FYI to anyone with a TE or HRAP stick. At http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=faq you can replace the top panel and get a custom layout for your stick. Point is, they also have the UMK3 layout right there. So for anyone wanting to save alot of cash, you could buy a new panel for your stick for around 30 dollars or so, if you are willing to replace your existing panel or if you have an extra stick and want a dedicated MK stick. There is also a Arcade Stick thread in the General Gaming Forum if you want more help withs stick modding.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Just an FYI to anyone with a TE or HRAP stick. At http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=faq you can replace the top panel and get a custom layout for your stick. Point is, they also have the UMK3 layout right there. So for anyone wanting to save alot of cash, you could buy a new panel for your stick for around 30 dollars or so, if you are willing to replace your existing panel or if you have an extra stick and want a dedicated MK stick. There is also a Arcade Stick thread in the General Gaming Forum if you want more help withs stick modding.[/QUOTE]

I so fucking wish I knew about this site during the buy one get one TE stick deal.

EDIT: I mean the earlier one. Because there's no way I can afford it now.

[quote name='BackInBlack']If you are still looking for 360 TE's, they are selling the MvC2 360 TE's BOGO on the gameshark store.

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem...utm_campaign=Affiliate+Program&idProduct=4714[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I already edited my post. I meant the earlier sale. I can't afford it now because I already blew my budget on some expensive Atari Jaguar equipment a couple days ago. But that site's still good to know if they have sales on the sticks in the future. I'm reconsidering the official Mortal Kombat sticks now.

[quote name='emceelokey']Hopefully there's no more of that switching styles garbage. [/QUOTE]

it was a nice and gave each character 3 sets of normal attacks (including weapons) and kombos, but it made the game much more complicated. Most complicated maximum hit combos utilized something like 3 hits from 1 style, switch style, 3 more hits, switch to weapon, 3 more hits. that's 9 commands + 3 more for switching = 12 commands to remember on top of all the individual combos for the other styles.

by the time mk deadly alliance and deception came out, i had no time to relearn all the characters or play those games. i guess this is why i never played gen in sfa or sf4 series. 2 styles...

[quote name='gargus']Shouldnt this just go in general gaming instead of the DEALs thread since it ISNT a deal? Its just msrp.

It will be a deal in a couple months when you can pick these up for half price.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. In fact, this is the opposite of a deal. Some overpriced "kollector's edition" no thanks.

[quote name='Glomerate']My thoughts exactly. In fact, this is the opposite of a deal. Some overpriced "kollector's edition" no thanks.[/QUOTE]

but it's much more useful than other $150 LE/CE like halo reach with that statue and mw2 with the goggles.

I love the stick and might consider it if it really ends up being LE unlike most out there. I'll probably wait until I see some semblance of a product review on the game and stick to determine whether I keep it though.

[quote name='Darth Indy']I'm pretty sure he did the same spine rip as Sub-Zero.[/QUOTE]

Reptile had no fatalities in the original - just cloned moves of Sub Zero and Scorpion. His name plate didn't even say Reptile when you found and fought him it said Scorpion yet he was green.

I'm assuming it's his MK2 fatality of the tongue eating of the head.

clearly there are some veteran game buyers on this board....i agree wholeheatedly that as awesome as these sticks are they will drop in price just like the tekken bundle i picked up last year on amazon for 59.99......that was crazy....i'm willing to wait for the price drop

Fucccccck. CANNOT DECIDE.

I guess I'll go with the KE and wait and hope the stick becomes available separately, even if it has to be a "2nd edition" or whatever. Well, either that or the bundle drops in price big time.

Also hope the retailer exclusive DLC is the same type of "retailer exclusive" incentive that the Rock Band 3 in-game instruments were - IE, the retailer gives you a code to enter in-game which unlocks something (and works for anyone who bought the game, no matter where from). Not expecting this to be the case, but I can dream.

I will probably buy from Amazon or Best Buy since I'd rather have the Sub-Zero or Reptile costumes/fatalities (whatever they decide on for Reptile's fatality...assuming something from MK2).

[quote name='gshell']clearly there are some veteran game buyers on this board....i agree wholeheatedly that as awesome as these sticks are they will drop in price just like the tekken bundle i picked up last year on amazon for 59.99......that was crazy....i'm willing to wait for the price drop[/QUOTE]

We'll see, if the stick is crappy like the Tekken stick, it'll drop. However, if it's comparable in quality to the TE stick, I don't think there will be too many of them left.

So far these look nohing like the Tekken sticks. These are wooden tops like the old school arcade cabinets and with the easy modifications that's a big leap from the Tekken sticks as well. This says tournament edition, so I'm assuming it's safe to say these are on par with the SF TE sticks. Which were not nearly as easy to mod compared to how the MK TE stick is designed.

Highly doubt these prices will drop - they're not the same make like the cheaper SF sticks or the Tekken wireless.

[quote name='docvinh']We'll see, if the stick is crappy like the Tekken stick, it'll drop. However, if it's comparable in quality to the TE stick, I don't think there will be too many of them left.[/QUOTE]

Whether it's a high quality stick or not it will drop. $150 for 20,000 units is a very hard sell in this economy, especially given the fact that the stick is specific to one game and most of us already have more than enough high quality sticks between the various TE releases from Mad Catz and all the sales they have had every week or two. Like I said earlier, I would be very surprised if Mad Catz has sold a total of 20K TE sticks over the various runs and graphic patterns and those are more generically designed for multiple games and very high quality.

That stick is looking so 90s, I have mostly seen sanwa sticks on arcade cabinets these days.

I don't think I ever used happ parts before, how does the joystick and buttons compare to Sanwa? I really prefer sanwa buttons because you only need to lightly rest your fingertips for activation

[quote name='demonlord6696']Not a Rip off, unlike the Reach/CoD $150 Editions.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. This Stick is at least something you'll use and keep using.

Part of me wants one bad. Another part of me thinks about Tekken 6 CE, Halo CEs, Batman CE, Alan Wake CE, Bioshock 2 CE.

I really wish companies would just tell you how many of each CE there are. I know it won't happen but it'd make me buy one right away if it was actually a small number.

(I love you, ME2 CE)

either way, thanks for the heads up, OP.

[quote name='confoosious']Part of me wants one bad. Another part of me thinks about Tekken 6 CE, Halo CEs, Batman CE, Alan Wake CE, Bioshock 2 CE.

I really wish companies would just tell you how many of each CE there are. I know it won't happen but it'd make me buy one right away if it was actually a small number.

(I love you, ME2 CE)

either way, thanks for the heads up, OP.[/QUOTE]

Wish granted! They've actually said in the press release only 20,000 for the TE. Now if it's 20,000 for each console or total or even if that number is true, that remains to be seen.

Oreally.

I missed that part.

Does anyone know numbers for other recent CEs?

Man, if i knew LBP2 CE was only 20,000, I'd buy 2. This one.. I dunno. But I'm a CE sucker.

[quote name='bojay1997']Like I said earlier, I would be very surprised if Mad Catz has sold a total of 20K TE sticks over the various runs and graphic patterns and those are more generically designed for multiple games and very high quality.[/QUOTE]

just thinking and analyzing. 20,000 te sticks seems plausible to me even in this bad economy. 20,000 x 150 = $3M; (assuming that everyone paid retail for it). $3M is pretty small considering how much money the video game industry generates annually. if you said 100,000 or 200,000 te sticks than i might agree with you.

i wonder how many copies of sf4 and ssf4 capcom has sold. i'm thinking at least 500,000 copies combined. sf4 did reach platinum/greatest hits status and i believe you have to sell in the hundreds of thousands to achieve that (at least 300,000 copies sold).

considering halo 3 sold 8M+, gears 1 and gears 2 sold at least 5M each, re5 sold several million too. makes me wonder that the sf4 craze and the increasing people attending EVO, that game has got to have sold at least a million (and that's a very small estimate). so if 1M sf4 sold, i find it hard to believe that only 2% of the 1M people (20,000) who bought and play the sf4 series use te sticks. maybe it's more likely that 90% of sf4 players play on pads and 10% on all joysticks but i still think that the ratio of people who play with joysticks is larger than that even if it's not just te sticks (fighstick, te, hori, tekken, etc.)

[quote name='frpilot']just thinking and analyzing. 20,000 te sticks seems plausible to me even in this bad economy. 20,000 x 150 = $3M; (assuming that everyone paid retail for it). $3M is pretty small considering how much money the video game industry generates annually. if you said 100,000 or 200,000 te sticks than i might agree with you.

i wonder how many copies of sf4 and ssf4 capcom has sold. i'm thinking at least 500,000 copies combined. sf4 did reach platinum/greatest hits status and i believe you have to sell in the hundreds of thousands to achieve that (at least 300,000 copies sold).

considering halo 3 sold 8M+, gears 1 and gears 2 sold at least 5M each, re5 sold several million too. makes me wonder that the sf4 craze and the increasing people attending EVO, that game has got to have sold at least a million (and that's a very small estimate). so if 1M sf4 sold, i find it hard to believe that only 2% of the 1M people (20,000) who bought and play the sf4 series use te sticks. maybe it's more likely that 90% of sf4 players play on pads and 10% on all joysticks but i still think that the ratio of people who play with joysticks is larger than that even if it's not just te sticks (fighstick, te, hori, tekken, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Street Fighter 4 sold in the millions as well. o.o

Mortal Kombat games drops faster than bird's pooping on a windshield.

If people thought "Halo Reach Legendary" and "Tekken 6's Collector's Stick Bundle" dropped from $149.99 to $69.99 in 3 months were surprising...

Mortal Kombat price drop = TOASTY!

[quote name='frpilot']just thinking and analyzing. 20,000 te sticks seems plausible to me even in this bad economy. 20,000 x 150 = $3M; (assuming that everyone paid retail for it). $3M is pretty small considering how much money the video game industry generates annually. if you said 100,000 or 200,000 te sticks than i might agree with you.

considering halo 3 sold 8M+, gears 1 and gears 2 sold at least 5M each, re5 sold several million too. makes me wonder that the sf4 craze and the increasing people attending EVO, that game has got to have sold at least a million (and that's a very small estimate). so if 1M sf4 sold, i find it hard to believe that only 2% of the 1M people (20,000) who bought and play the sf4 series use te sticks. maybe it's more likely that 90% of sf4 players play on pads and 10% on all joysticks but i still think that the ratio of people who play with joysticks is larger than that even if it's not just te sticks (fighstick, te, hori, tekken, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Except that you are forgetting about the fact that this is Mortal Kombat which has sort of killed its franchise with some very mediocre games in recent years and there is going to be a cheaper "collector's edition" of the game that contains things people may want more than this stick. Moreover, a lot of us already have various versions of the Street Fighter TE sticks which are excellent. I actually do believe that only 20K or less people bought the TE sticks. Spending $150 on a joystick, let alone the two you will need to play against a friend on equal footing is not something people do on a regular basis and I would assert that the number of people who actually bought the TE Mad Catz sticks is well under 20K. Sure, they may have sold slightly more than that, but a lot of people bought two or more. Also, people may have other cheaper sticks (including the lower end Street Fighter stick) or fight pads or maybe more expensive sticks like the various Hori high end ones, but those aren't the kind of buyers who are going to buy this particular stick which is really designed for one game. Heck, look at the allegedly rare Blaz Blue sticks. Months after release and a major price drop later, they still haven't moved the 3,000 units they built. All I'm saying is that nobody should panic on this one. 20,000 is a lot of an item that is $150.

bread's done
Back