New! mousin's Free Magazine thread!

[quote name='dejeckt']i just signed up for egm deal on page 78...i think the link is still live
so...whats their gain of sending out free magazines?[/quote]

Yes, the first link on page 78 is live again. I believe it's from Ziff Davis (the company that prints EGM) so it goes in and out of a live sub. Just keep it linked and check back from time to time.

Going to have to check my sub and see what I'm up to.

[quote name='camoor']I think the real news is that I never realized so many people actually pay cash money for an EGM subscription.[/quote]

Or maybe it's 95% free subs?

[quote name='drawingboard']There were none of those subscription cards in my current issue of EGM. This is looking bad :whistle2:([/quote]

Oh good, I thought I was the only one.
They can't do this to me! what am I going to read? GAMEPRO? I don't think so.

Ugh, Game Informer, here I come...Damn paid subscriptions.

Attention subscribers of PC Magazine,
You now have the option of switching to digital, or one of these other magazines:

Computer Shopper
Maximum PC
Maxim
Blender
Discover
Home Theater
Shutterbug
Motor Trend
Stereophile
Popular Mechanics
Smart Money

Go here http://go.pcmag.com/pcmagdigital
Enter your data and look for "Transfer Subscription". Its worth noting that they wont transfer it to EGM, which is more bad news :whistle2:(
I had +10 years left of PC Mag, but I have twice that for EGM. Hello Discover Magazine!

Thanks for that ^.

I had 97 issues remaining on my (free) subscriptions. I wonder what would have happened if I had clicked the "request refund" link?

I should have tried, but just went and transferred it to Discover. It seems fairly stable, several of the other choices seem likely to go next.

[quote name='drawingboard']Attention subscribers of PC Magazine,
You now have the option of switching to digital, or one of these other magazines:

Computer Shopper
Maximum PC
Maxim
Blender
Discover
Home Theater
Shutterbug
Motor Trend
Stereophile
Popular Mechanics
Smart Money

Go here http://go.pcmag.com/pcmagdigital
Enter your data and look for "Transfer Subscription". Its worth noting that they wont transfer it to EGM, which is more bad news :whistle2:(
I had +10 years left of PC Mag, but I have twice that for EGM. Hello Discover Magazine![/quote]

Thanks for posting this info! I got screwed out of the rest of my "Games for Windows" sub. I was hoping Ziff would offer a transfer like they did here. Maxim is probably maxed out for me now (+70 issues).

wow thanks alot for this info. I got the jan issues but never read the card...

i get around 50 subscriptions a month so i am as far as a year behind on some. (does help me save on stuff as a lot of time by the time i read about it the price has drop significantly making it much more affordable)

hmmm now what to get....

[quote name='Trevor']Thanks for that ^.

I had 97 issues remaining on my (free) subscriptions. I wonder what would have happened if I had clicked the "request refund" link?

I should have tried, but just went and transferred it to Discover. It seems fairly stable, several of the other choices seem likely to go next.[/QUOTE]

They would have refund the money to the company that paid for your free subscription, ie. Not you.

I made the mistake of signing up for free Giant magazine (wasnt aware it was just a black person mag) and the ever horrific SPIN. Both sucked so much I didnt want it cluttering up my mail box so I canceled them and both times received an email stating I would not be the one to get the refund money back.

Thanks for that PC Mag link, wasnt even aware it was canned. I guess Ill get Maxim instead. (Wish FHM was still in USA, was 100 times the magazine Maxim tries to be).

[quote name='musha666']I made the mistake of signing up for free Giant magazine (wasnt aware it was just a black person mag) and the ever horrific SPIN. Both sucked so much I didnt want it cluttering up my mail box so I canceled them and both times received an email stating I would not be the one to get the refund money back.[/QUOTE]

Giant used to be a great magazine, but about a year ago (maybe longer) they decided to turn it into another Vibe. I don't read it anymore, I just give it to someone else.

[quote name='drawingboard']Giant used to be a great magazine, but about a year ago (maybe longer) they decided to turn it into another Vibe. I don't read it anymore, I just give it to someone else.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I thought the mag was going to be more entertainment related when the first issue had Jack Black on the cover...

- Ziff Davis announced EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) magazine is shutting down, the January 2009 issue was the very last issue after 20 years. The 1UP.com network of sites have been sold to UGO Entertainment. About 40 staffs have been laid off due to the shut down.

taken from http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

the best of the best now laid to rest...

[quote name='floormat']

the best of the best now laid to rest...[/QUOTE]

Yes, and no. EGM was like an old person. At its best it may have been great, but the last 5 or so years it was more sad to see it as a shell of its former self. Bias reviewers, idiotic sections by Seanbaby, more ads then articles at times, quarter the size it used to be.

The fact that it was free is the only reason I still subscribed to it. I usually flip through it on one sitting and toss it within 5 minutes.

[quote name='musha666']Yes, and no. EGM was like an old person. At its best it may have been great, but the last 5 or so years it was more sad to see it as a shell of its former self. Bias reviewers, idiotic sections by Seanbaby, more ads then articles at times, quarter the size it used to be.

The fact that it was free is the only reason I still subscribed to it. I usually flip through it on one sitting and toss it within 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If it wasn't free, I wouldn't have subscribed to it. Game Informer is better, although there's not too many magazines left to choose from now. Edge and GamesTM still blow any of the US mags away, unfortunately.

Any word on what's going to happen to the remainder of our EGM subscriptions? I had about 10 years left on it. Are we going to be able to roll it into a different magazine?

Wait, EGM ended with the January issue? Is that the one with Wolverine on the cover? That's very abrupt...isn't there usually some sort of notice that accompanies a final issue? I know that was the case with PC Mag and Maxim or Stuff, whichever one got shit canned.

Well this sucks...my crapper reading material is dwindling :cry:

Damn! The demise of EGM is like an old friend passing away. I'm sad to see it go but at the same time I agree it was a shell of it's former self. I mainly kept my sub going for nostalgia and b/c I could get it for free thanx to you guys.

I enjoyed having it as crapper reading material as well as something to distract me while I exercise on the elliptical machine to help pass the time quicker.

I agree that the number of ads was annoying but Seanbaby's articles were funny IMHO. That was a short lived new rating system...

So is the consensus then that Game Infromer is the best US mag left? I haven't read GI since my Funcoland days several years ago and it was a joke then. Also I remember Gamepro being absolute crap.

[quote name='heavy liquid']
Any word on what's going to happen to the remainder of our EGM subscriptions? I had about 10 years left on it. Are we going to be able to roll it into a different magazine?[/quote]

Seeing as many of the Ziff-Davis publications are going digital, it's very likely you'll get to carry them over. your best bet is trying for a "refund."

[quote name='GogetaSS4']lol I just recieved my first free issue of EGM. Thanks CAG!!![/quote]

..and now it's dead #-o

[quote name='pacifickarma']1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Magic Elves[/quote]

:lol:

Well, I had a few more years on my EGM as well, this sucks. I guess the only magazines left are Gamepro (bleh), Game Informer, or Play. So if anyone has any links to any of those for free that would be great.

bread's done
Back