New NOOK Color $169, official price drop

WOW, great price. Hack it with CM7 and it has endless possibilities! Hacked my GF's and it is awesome to use, great way to get a great tablet experience without spending the dough. I have a Fire and love it but at $30 less and how easy it is to hack(literally takes 10 minutes) i would say get this, hack it and enjoy.

This is now the same price as the Fire Refurb.

Any chance Amazon gets ultra competitive and lowers their prices?

How far away are we from Nook Color 2 or Fire 2?

Whats the better tablet, pre-hacked and hacked? Nook Color or Fire?

How many more questions can I fit into this post?

ive been wanting to get one or the other ive seen alot of diff pads and they all come with pros and cons its hard to choose. and with the new ipad supposedly coming soon i know if i wait these will probably drop in price. sucks that the fire doesnt have a micro sd slot. was looking at those pandigital ones too theyre cheaper than the nook or fire and have aot of stuff going on with them but they look kind cheapish.

[quote name='kodave']This is now the same price as the Fire Refurb.

Any chance Amazon gets ultra competitive and lowers their prices?

How far away are we from Nook Color 2 or Fire 2?

Whats the better tablet, pre-hacked and hacked? Nook Color or Fire?

How many more questions can I fit into this post?[/QUOTE]

At stock fire is way beyond the nook. Hacked then the nook easily because of its expandable memory. Nook is an ereader first stock with limited tablet features, while the fire is a watered down tablet built around Amazon marketplace. Both can be "mini" ipad types when hacked but fire is limited to internal storage(I think like 6-8 gbs).

[quote name='lokizz']ive been wanting to get one or the other ive seen alot of diff pads and they all come with pros and cons its hard to choose. and with the new ipad supposedly coming soon i know if i wait these will probably drop in price. sucks that the fire doesnt have a micro sd slot. was looking at those pandigital ones too theyre cheaper than the nook or fire and have aot of stuff going on with them but they look kind cheapish.[/QUOTE]

Anytime I see reviews of pandigital tablets their always a mess. The nook Color looks pretty cool though. I would like to be able to read walking dead on something other then my PC.

Just a heads up to anyone who might buy the new 199 nook tablet, it only says it has 512mb of ram (same as color). I know that I was thinking about getting it until I saw that.

[quote name='oldboy26']At stock fire is way beyond the nook. Hacked then the nook easily because of its expandable memory. Nook is an ereader first stock with limited tablet features, while the fire is a watered down tablet built around Amazon marketplace. Both can be "mini" ipad types when hacked but fire is limited to internal storage(I think like 6-8 gbs).[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with this. Stock is not great on either so I would strongly recommend loading a custom rom or at least rooting. It's really not that hard to do.

Between the two I think the Nook is better if running a custom Android ROM. There's the SD card slot expandability and also the Nook has bluetooth so you can use a PS controller or BT Keyboard and mouse.

I've had the original Nook Color since it came out and loading a custom android ROM on it fairly early on. It's a great device that has held up over a year now and I still use it every day. You can still use the Nook Android app with the custom ROM so it's not like you lose functionality from changing from stock.

B&N does give a $25 discount on all the new Nooks if you are a member. The yearly membership is $25 so if you don't already have one, it's a wash. However if you have any intentional at all to e-books, e-magazines or items in the brick and mortor Barnes and Noble store then it is worth it to get a membership for the discount.

Typing this on my nook. Cool device, use it for email, netflix,facebook. Probably use mycomp half of what iuse to. I use stock, faster with wifi then my brother att 4glte smart phone. Sine i dont have a smartphone, this at $112(overstock.com refurb), was a no brainer. Bought the android firmware onamazon for $17, but rarely use it be ause i vet -101 error when i tryto download anything (google erroe). Also, tring toget video on the device is a bitch, trail and errorand still get errorw onmost video, buim not verycomputer savvy.

As u can tell, still tring to learn to type on the thing, cantimagineusing a small cellphone

Kindle Fire best thing if you have kids. The Amazon marketplace has so many new free shows for kids it's crazy.

Not even the ipad or any other system could have gotten me all of these damn Dora the Explorer shows. Amazon Prime with kindle Fire is Gold.

[quote name='kodave']How far away are we from Nook Color 2 or Fire 2?
[/QUOTE]

No idea about Nook but there are rumors of another Kindle tablet either Q3 or Q4 of this year, though it won't be called Kindle Fire 2. It's supposed to be a larger tablet with better specs aimed at consumers with more monies, and they are going to continue to support the Fire as an option for people who want a budget tablet.

[quote name='tears2040']Kindle Fire best thing if you have kids. The Amazon marketplace has so many new free shows for kids it's crazy.

Not even the ipad or any other system could have gotten me all of these damn Dora the Explorer shows. Amazon Prime with kindle Fire is Gold.[/QUOTE]

Well those Prime videos are not really free, only for the first month. After that you need to pay $79 a year. Also only a subset of Amazon Video on Demand is free with Prime. Most stuff is pay but they do have a fair bit of older stuff free and particularly with the latest deal they struck with Viacom, a good amount of kids stuff via Nickelodeon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to get a Nook Color, but they aren't compatible with the wifi at my university. The nook doesn't support wpa2-enterprise.

I went with a Kindle fire when Walmart had them buy one get a $50 gift card. I'm very happy with the KF. I use it constantly for both reading and as a tablet. I haven't rooted it, but I sideload tons of stuff. My only complaint is the lack of microSD card slot, but other than that its a fantastic device.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Barnes & Noble is going bankrupt, right?[/QUOTE]

that was borders, b&n is still profitable, though publishing isn't exactly a growth industry. There are rumors they spinoff the nook division.

Yeah, I saw the Pandigital version at Big Lots and was considering it since it was only $100. Passed because I missed out on it when it was on sale for like $60-$70 during the President's Day sale.

I'm new to the tablet world so when I get my tax return, might get this Nook Color, hopefully it will be better than my stock netbook.

[quote name='romodome']Typing this on my nook. Cool device, use it for email, netflix,facebook. Probably use mycomp half of what iuse to. I use stock, faster with wifi then my brother att 4glte smart phone. Sine i dont have a smartphone, this at $112(overstock.com refurb), was a no brainer. Bought the android firmware onamazon for $17, but rarely use it be ause i vet -101 error when i tryto download anything (google erroe). Also, tring toget video on the device is a bitch, trail and errorand still get errorw onmost video, buim not verycomputer savvy.

As u can tell, still tring to learn to type on the thing, cantimagineusing a small cellphone[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

Is there any difference between the Nook Color and Tablet besides the built in 8GB of memory? Reading up on the two I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Edited to add: Beat me to it. :p

[quote name='Cjw Evolved']Is there any difference between the Nook Color and Tablet besides the built in 8GB of memory? Reading up on the two I haven't been able to find anything yet.[/QUOTE]

There's some side by side comparison info here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/compare-nook-tablet-vs-kindle-fire/379003173/

Basically, the processor on the NC is slightly slower than the NT, but if you root you can overclock it. NC is single core though.

The NT is slightly lighter and the batter lasts a little longer.

[quote name='tears2040']Kindle Fire best thing if you have kids. The Amazon marketplace has so many new free shows for kids it's crazy.

Not even the ipad or any other system could have gotten me all of these damn Dora the Explorer shows. Amazon Prime with kindle Fire is Gold.[/QUOTE]

Uh, I get all those shows and more kids shows on my iPad with Netflix.

I would say for the considering the price difference between the Color and Tablet is only $30, I'd go for the tablet every time, no doubt about it. 1GHZ Dual-core processor, nearly 2 full oz. lighter, 40% better battery life, supports 1080 sideloaded video (you can copy 1080p video to it from your computer, though it will only display at 1080 x 600. Point is, you won't have to do any conversion do a lower resolution). And you can still root it and install a custom android ROM and take full advantage of the fast processor. For an extra 30 bucks, it's a no-brainer to me. Just the speed increase alone is worth it.

[quote name='unopepito06']I would say for the considering the price difference between the Color and Tablet is only $30, I'd go for the tablet every time, no doubt about it. 1GHZ Dual-core processor, nearly 2 full oz. lighter, 40% better battery life, supports 1080 sideloaded video (you can copy 1080p video to it from your computer, though it will only display at 1080 x 600. Point is, you won't have to do any conversion do a lower resolution). And you can still root it and install a custom android ROM and take full advantage of the fast processor. For an extra 30 bucks, it's a no-brainer to me. Just the speed increase alone is worth it.[/QUOTE]

Without question. If $30 is a deal breaker for someone they should wait until they can save it before buying.

Now my real dilemma would be the difference between normal tablet and the 8gb

[quote name='steve_dave']Without question. If $30 is a deal breaker for someone they should wait until they can save it before buying.

Now my real dilemma would be the difference between normal tablet and the 8gb[/QUOTE]

The 8gb Tablet has half a gig or ram, original Tablet has 1 gig.

[quote name='joeyshadows']The 8gb Tablet has half a gig or ram, original Tablet has 1 gig.[/QUOTE]

I know I meant wether the price is worth it. If that reduction in ram has performance consequences then it may be. That and the reduced storage allowance for apps.

[quote name='unopepito06']I would say for the considering the price difference between the Color and Tablet is only $30, I'd go for the tablet every time, no doubt about it. 1GHZ Dual-core processor, nearly 2 full oz. lighter, 40% better battery life, supports 1080 sideloaded video (you can copy 1080p video to it from your computer, though it will only display at 1080 x 600. Point is, you won't have to do any conversion do a lower resolution). And you can still root it and install a custom android ROM and take full advantage of the fast processor. For an extra 30 bucks, it's a no-brainer to me. Just the speed increase alone is worth it.[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose I'll give a bit of an alternate view. I've had the Nook Color for some time now and have been really happy with it. It works well for everything I've thrown at it from games to videos and so on. The processor is overclockable and should be able to reach 1GHz without issues.

As for 1080P, I think on that size of a screen that is way overkill personally. 720 is more than fine for me.

I notice the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire are TI processors vs ARM. I've never had an Android device with a TI processor but I know that ARMs are the most common. Are there any compatibility issues there?

We just returned a Kindle Fire because of hardware issues. How big of a processing difference can you actually SEE between the Nook Color and the 8gb Nook tablet.

If you want a good manga/comic book program on the nook you will have to root it. The B&N app market does not really have any offerings.

Side note the B&N market only has about a 1000 apps so don't expect the depth of the Google Market or even Amazon's.

Essentially you'll need to root the device to do all the cool stuff. Thankfully the process is pretty easy.

the kinda fire has a good comic program as well and your comics are all displayed on a virtual shelf. a friend of mine has one and theyre big into comics so i was impressed with that. but the overal memory even with cloud is still an issue for me.

bread's done
Back