New on XBLM 3/9: Ridge Racer 6 Demo

Sounds like several tracks worth of demos.

I have the full game, if they just put Class 1 cars in the demo you're not going to have any idea of what Ridge Racer 6 is really like.

Back up according to Major Nelson. Gonna fire up the box in a few mins & start downloading.

Well, played it, lots of cars, but only one track. No description of controls. From what I could tell, A=Accel, B=Brake, L/R triggers= Boost, Y=Change Views, X=Look back, and I forgot to try the bumpers.

A = Accel
RT = single nitrous
LT = double nitrous (where available)
Both T = triple nitrous (same)

No need for break. If you have problems with sliding, try cars with the MILD drift classification.

The demo was OK, but I'm really enjoying NFSU:MW (except for the cheesy ass characters and story), and I have BO:R on the way, so I don't think I'll be picking this title up.

DL the demo last night within 10min. Tried it for 2, deleted it. Not my cup of Joe. The skidding system is too extreme and hard to control. I'm sure if I gave it a chance its a good game but with Burnout, Full Auto, and NFS:MW, I'll pass.

Sucks, I get fast downloads but cant join friends online... :cry:

I think my DL took about 30 minutes....The only one that has taken longer so far was the Outfit, which took about an hour because of 3 dropped connections.

It seems like a 80/20 split of fast d/l to slow...with 20 being slow. I'm usually in that too...sucks. I haven't tried this one yet.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The skidding system is too extreme and hard to control.[/QUOTE]

Again, if you have problems with sliding, try cars with the MILD drift classification. Makes a huge difference for first-timers. Oh, and my DLs are presently slow.

Well It's not a bad game. Not that amazing either.

I think I might pick it up when it drops to $35 pre-owned, or less, kinda like I did with Amped 3.

That game was HORRIBLE!

It reminded me that all these games will have GREAT graphics, but what about the GAMEPLAY?

I'm glad the demo was available. I would have been mad if I rented that garbage. PGR3 is the STUFF!

What the hell did they do to the drifting? Ridge Racer Type 4 (one of my fav racing games) actually took a bit of skill to drift. This game you just simply let go of the gas and it's simple as hell. Too damn easy.

I can only shake my head in dismay at the reactions here. One of the best arcade racers ever (no, I don't see the appeal of crashing into traffic - i.e. burnout), 60 FPS and a real HD showcase, and online to boot. Also widely regarded in the fan community as the best RR ever. Anyway, I love this game, but to each his own! Hopefully the demo will at least interest some people.

[quote name='gkrykewy']I can only shake my head in dismay at the reactions here. One of the best arcade racers ever (no, I don't see the appeal of crashing into traffic - i.e. burnout), 60 FPS and a real HD showcase, and online to boot. Also widely regarded in the fan community as the best RR ever. Anyway, I love this game, but to each his own! Hopefully the demo will at least interest some people.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't change the obvious fact: It's easy as Hell, there's not much to the game (gameplay, speed, graphics, etc.).

Emphasis on "arcade racer", 'cos I'd only pay 50 cents -- tops -- for it.

After Burnout, is there even a market for racing games? Simulation or arcade, they all seem to pale in comparison.

This is no different, the gameplay is awful. As Brak said, it's very, very simple - probably more so than Outrun, and I didn't think it could get any easier than Outrun.

I'll keep the demo, though.

[quote name='Brak']That doesn't change the obvious fact: It's easy as Hell, there's not much to the game (gameplay, speed, graphics, etc.).

Emphasis on "arcade racer", 'cos I'd only pay 50 cents -- tops -- for it.[/quote]
You cannot judge the difficulty of the entire game by one race, the later levels of this game will break you. It's also wicked fast in the Class 4 and Special races.

Graphics is a matter of taste, but I'd rather look at this than PGR3.

[quote name='Scorch'] This is no different, the gameplay is awful.[/quote]
Again, a matter of taste. There are some in this thread that would dispute that. I'd reserve such words to describe games that are universally loathed; i.e. Superman 64.

[quote name='Brak']That doesn't change the obvious fact: It's easy as Hell.[/QUOTE]

Again, this is just dumb. I'd like to see you try to beat some of the later races. There are, after all, roughly...what... 150 individual races to achieve 100% completion. I'm only at like 85%. Anyway, the demo is SUPPOSED to be easy.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Again, this is just dumb. I'd like to see you try to beat some of the later races. There are, after all, roughly...what... 150 individual races to achieve 100% completion. I'm only at like 85%. Anyway, the demo is SUPPOSED to be easy.[/QUOTE]

Why would they purposely make the demo easy? No one likes an easy game, it would make sales go down

[quote name='gkrykewy']Again, this is just dumb. I'd like to see you try to beat some of the later races. There are, after all, roughly...what... 150 individual races to achieve 100% completion. I'm only at like 85%. Anyway, the demo is SUPPOSED to be easy.[/QUOTE]

You're denying the gameplay is simplistic, too, right? I'm a fan of minimilstic games... but there's not much to Ridge Racer 6. Holding the trigger button down and letting go to drift while barely needing to adjust the steering is something I can't see myself playing beyond one or two races.

This isn't the type of gameplay I'd expect to see beyond Nintendo 64, but maybe it is within the realm of what Ridge Racer tries to accomplish... then again, the best games throughout time have pushed themselves and adapted to each generation of video gaming, pushing their own envelope further and further.

Now, if there were more types or races and some absurdist gamemodes to break up the monotony of drift-o-rama, then I'd have fun playing it.

By the way, I appreciate you calling my opinion dumb. I never said the game was too easy, too shitty, too simple, or too what ever for EVERYONE -- I said it was to me.

[quote name='Brak']Now, if there were more types or races and some absurdist gamemodes to break up the monotony of drift-o-rama, then I'd have fun playing it.
[/quote]

That's like saying Robotron would be cooler if you didn't have to shoot all the time.
It's a racing game...you race.

For the record, there are No-Nitrous races, Duels, 4-car Expert races, and any number of online configurations (my favorite is the all Pac-Man race).

I'm not denying your right to an opinion, I'm just saying that there is more to this game than the demo provides.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']
I'm not denying your right to an opinion, I'm just saying that there is more to this game than the demo provides.[/QUOTE]

Of course, but the demo provided people with ample testing of the basic (keyword: basic) gameplay of Ridge Racer. If they didn't like the drifting and general gamplay of the demo there isn't much more to be seen in the full version.

[quote name='Brak']By the way, I appreciate you calling my opinion dumb. I never said the game was too easy, too shitty, too simple, or too what ever for EVERYONE -- I said it was to me.[/QUOTE]

No, you said "the obvious fact: It's easy as Hell" based on a one race, class 2 demo. I must have missed where you qualified that.

[quote name='Brak']You're denying the gameplay is simplistic, too, right? I'm a fan of minimilstic games... but there's not much to Ridge Racer 6. Holding the trigger button down and letting go to drift while barely needing to adjust the steering is something I can't see myself playing beyond one or two races.[/QUOTE]

And yes, you're drastically oversimplifying the gameplay. I assure you that both steering and countersteering are much more than "barely" necessary. And what do you mean by the trigger? I thought that in the demo the controls can't be adjusted to use the triggers for gas/break. Did you even play the demo at all, or are you just hating?

bread's done
Back