New Project: Restoring a 4 year old P4-Ghz!

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Ok, now that my new kick ass system (C2Q 2.5ghz) is up and running it's time to fix the old machine to give to my 6 year old nephew.

Here is the specs of the old machine.

P4-3ghz with stock fan
2 gigs of ram
SB music card
EVGA 6800 gt agp
430 watt power supply.
dl sony dvd writer (IDE)
60 gig (IDE)
80 gig (IDE)
200 gig (IDE)
300 gig (SATA)
ABIT VT-7 mb
ati fire wire card.

105_8610.jpg

The 60 and 80 gig hard drives I do no trust as they have been operating for about 6 years now. The 200 is about 4 years old and the 300 is 3 years old. I bought a new power supply, and a new p4 cooler for the cpu. I still have some thermal paste left over from the new system and was thinking of removing the old cooler, clean up the top part and then apply the TP to the cpu then add the new cooler. I did buy a new hard drive (160 IDE) but since I only have XP Home pre service pack 1, it will FORCE me to bring down that 160 to 137 during an NTFS format. I plan on taking the entire system apart, clean it up (dust it out) and then put in the new parts.

The system is for my brother and his 6 year old son. The father will add internet via one of those wireless USB attachments when he needs to use the computer, but the kid will stay off the internet. Internet is crap in his area so they have to use Verizon's non fios one.

I might give them my copy of the adobe collection once I get the new version soon and I know that system can handle CS 1 programs well.

ok I rebuilt the system...and now updating all the windows updates for it.

However I am having problems getting my EVGA 6800gt to display millions of colors and it is stuck at 4 bit mode :( I have updated the drivers but that isn't doing it.

hmm

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok I rebuilt the system...and now updating all the windows updates for it.

However I am having problems getting my EVGA 6800gt to display millions of colors and it is stuck at 4 bit mode :( I have updated the drivers but that isn't doing it.

hmm[/QUOTE]

Omega Drivers and you will never go back to manufacturer drivers.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Get nlite and SP3 and you can make a new XP Home disc with SP3. A little too late now though.[/quote]

Doh!

Ok... Well I had to make that 60 gig the primary drive. I will go back and fix it later. Anyways, I guess the service packs that I installed last night fixed the res problem.

This was actually kind of a fun project, bringing new life to an old system. Thanks everyone.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Doh!

Ok... Well I had to make that 60 gig the primary drive. I will go back and fix it later. Anyways, I guess the service packs that I installed last night fixed the res problem.

This was actually kind of a fun project, bringing new life to an old system. Thanks everyone.[/quote]

Old... my current computer has 60gb hard drive, cd-rw burner, p4 2.54ghz, i dont consider it too old, even though it really is.

bread's done
Back