New PS3 Buy. Help?

Muz19

CAG Veteran
I'm looking at getting a PS3. Long time PS2 user, although I don't tend to keep a lot of games. Mostly a sports game user.

I have an opportunity to buy an 80G with a few downloaded games for 290. Not the BC 80G but one of the newer ones. I like the price...but do I want it?

I also have an opportunity to buy a 60G new in the box unit. A person I know is selling it and got it as a gift from a large retailer for some work he did. The BC is something I like, but is the 60G more prone to breaking down? The cost on this is 350 which I think is pretty good, considering what the 60G go for used.

Thoughts? Help?

Yea, I would go for the 60 gb, even though I have one and rarely ever play PS2 games, it's nice to know it is there.

Yes, mostly sports games, so I get new ones each year :(
I do have guitar hero, but will I even be able to use it? Are there adaptors so I can plug them into the USB ports? Or will I pretty much be using none of my PS2 games anyway?

I suppose I could always buy the 60G, try and sell it for more :) and then buy a new 80G?

Oh, that's good to know. So pretty much I'm relegated to last year's Madden, My FF XII, my Hot Shots Golf and that's about it. :(

With that in mind, save the money and get the 80G? With it being used though...should I spend the extra money for the new in the box? How does the warranty work when I won't have a receipt?

[quote name='Muz19']Oh, that's good to know. So pretty much I'm relegated to last year's Madden, My FF XII, my Hot Shots Golf and that's about it. :(

With that in mind, save the money and get the 80G? With it being used though...should I spend the extra money for the new in the box? How does the warranty work when I won't have a receipt?[/QUOTE]
Well, this is all just what I've seen, but lately there have been a LOT of people reporting that their 60gb PS3's are failing. It may just be that more people are complaining on forums, but I've been hearing a lot about them lately, and it's been entirely 60gb ones.

Something to keep in mind.

Yeah the 60s are more prone to dieing. I myself replaced my 60 with an 80 not too long ago due to it failing. 80s are solid. If you have no real need for BC I'd go for the 80.

I would go for the 60GB, solely for the reason that its cheapest price new on Amazon Marketplace is $800. Getting something for $350 that is usually $800 would just make me feel oh so good...

if both systems include the same items (cables, DS3 controller (six-axis with the 60gig I think), etc.) I would go with the 80gig. Seems to fit your style better. Also, there may be some time on the warranty left which always helps when buying used.

or buy the 60gb and then sell it and with the profits buy an 80 and have extra money left over to buy games and stuff.

[quote name='lokizz']or buy the 60gb and then sell it and with the profits buy an 80 and have extra money left over to buy games and stuff.[/QUOTE]

^ what they said.

Well, either Amazon or eBay I would say. Maybe give eBay a go if you want to sell it in a hurry. I would personally put it up on Amazon Marketplace as the low price item ($600 or so) and then see what happens. No insertion fee on Marketplace and it also stays up there until it sells. However, it will only let you charge $3.99 for shipping.

bread's done
Back