New PS3 owner looking for good games...

jh6269

CAGiversary!
Anyone have some good suggestions for games that I can have my friends over and play offline (or at least can have 2 player co-op online)? I know many of the latest FPS' do not have split-screen multiplayer/co-op mode--do any good ones exist?

Also does not necessarily need to be a FPS.

Thanks,

-Jason

This should be a good start...

Not trying to be a dick but please use the search function next time. We have (virtually) this same thread just a bit further down the front page of the PS3 board.

Thanks and welcome to CAG

[quote name='shoopdewoop1']Bioshock. You must have it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's a great game, but I don't really care for the horror genre; also, it's not a 2 player co-op.

I really want a great first person shooter that has split-screen multiplayer. The site that the previous person posted had some good leads.

Something that I can have my friends come over and all have a blast playing...

Super Stardust HD would hit the spot for sure.

I believe that RE5 has local multiplayer, but I'm not sure.

And you could always get SFIV or some of the other fighting games coming out if that suits your interests.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I believe that RE5 has local multiplayer, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

You be correct. Local multiplayer on RE5 is a yes.

Resistance 1 has split screen co-op through the whole campaign. Resistance 2 does not have split screen co-op in the campaign although it does have it's own co-op mode where you and a split screen friend can join in with up to 6 others online to do co-op campaign.

UT3 also now has split-screen.

I had a lot of fun playing Little Big Planet with friends. You can have 4 players offline/online and mix it up (as in 2 people on your console and 2 people online). I found that while dorming in college, the girls especially loved it.
Also, I have a lot of fun playing Resistance 2 whenever a friend comes over. You can only have 2 players, but it's pretty fun considering with the recent patch, they can sign into their own PSN account and gain experience.

Resistance 2 looks great, I will definitely need to check it out.
Any thoughts on Unreal Tournament 3? None of my friends have a PS3, two of them have a 360 and one has a PS2, so online multiplayer is definitely out of the question.

I am planning on buying LittleBigPlanet; my wife and I will probably play that. My friends probably won't be into it very much.

All the rest will be some of the awesome looking single player games coming out in 2009 and beyond... (Darksiders, Dark Void, Bayonetta, inFamous).

Metal Gear Solid 4 (regardless of multiplayer or not, this is PS3 greatest achievement and it's a must get!)
LittleBigPlanet (Most creative fun ever)
Resident Evil 5 (co-op, Mercenaries and Versus DLC...hell yeah)
Killzone 2 (Amazing shooter)
Call of Duty 4 or World at War (I prefer COD4, just getting tired of WWII games)

I'm going to wait for that re-release deal for MGS4 to pick it up for $30. Just got through watching the trailers, and yes, it looks great.

Aside from the cut-scenes in MGS4, are the missions short enough that a friend and myself could alternate through the game?

[quote name='jh6269']I'm going to wait for that re-release deal for MGS4 to pick it up for $30. Just got through watching the trailers, and yes, it looks great.

Aside from the cut-scenes in MGS4, are the missions short enough that a friend and myself could alternate through the game?[/QUOTE]

Just alternate playing after each in-game movie cut scene.

Warhawk is good. It has local and online split screen.Local split is not that great and online is good, but you need to find a server with split screen enabled, and i belive you dont get points for playing in those servers.
Ufc 2009 Undidputed. online is laggy but you can play exhibition(local).
Rag Doll Kung Fu. Not my favorite game, but it was free.

I didn't think I should post in the must-have games thread b/c I'm looking for specific titles that have local co-op and/or split-screen multiplayer.

the only split screen co-op i can think of is COD W@W, and then only in nazi zombie mode, which is pretty damn fun. Split screen is almost non-existent lately, kinda sucks.

actually, i think you can do campaign too...but that campaign sucks balls.

[quote name='jallen'] Split screen is almost non-existent lately, kinda sucks.[/QUOTE]

That's because split-screen is complete ass.

OP, you're really cheating yourself by not picking up Bioshock. And I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "horror" game; it's not like a Silent Hill or a Resident Evil.

[quote name='jh6269']Resistance 2 looks great, I will definitely need to check it out.
Any thoughts on Unreal Tournament 3? None of my friends have a PS3, two of them have a 360 and one has a PS2, so online multiplayer is definitely out of the question.

I am planning on buying LittleBigPlanet; my wife and I will probably play that. My friends probably won't be into it very much.

All the rest will be some of the awesome looking single player games coming out in 2009 and beyond... (Darksiders, Dark Void, Bayonetta, inFamous).[/QUOTE]

BUY IT. Unreal Tournament 3 is dirt cheap now, and if you are willing to slog through the beginning, you will find one of the most fast pace and rewarding shooters out there today. You can do stuff in this game that you could only dream of doing in Killzone 2 or Call of Duty.

[quote name='lolwut?']That's because split-screen is complete ass.[/QUOTE]

Well, when you have your friends over, they don't want to sit and watch you play. It's nice to be able to either have a one on one deathmatch or some kind of local multiplayer...

The only other thing I can think of is buy a single player game, like MGS4, and trade off after each mission (if the missions aren't too terribly long).

[quote name='lolwut?']OP, you're really cheating yourself by not picking up Bioshock. And I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "horror" game; it's not like a Silent Hill or a Resident Evil.[/QUOTE]

I watched the gametrailers review and it looks more or less like a horror game; it's got zombie-like enemies, etc. I don't have anything against the genre of games, but they just don't appeal to me at all. Even though the game looks pretty deep and has a lot of great action, I don't think I could get into it. Also, there are many, many other single player games that I'm more interested in (between the Wii and the PS3, there's like 10 games I want to get in 2009).

bread's done
Back