New PS3 owner

Derwood43

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I just bought a PS3. I haven't really even messed with it that much, besides watching a movie and playing the GOW3 demo.

Do you all have any advice, tips, or general knowledge you'd like to pass on? Also, any PS3 only titles I should take a look at?

cool congrats, here's some advice off the the of my head.

1.) Look up info on PSN gamesharing. It's a great way to get PSN games for cheap
2.) Play around with your video settings (liek Gamma and such) to make sure you're getting the best picture (assuming you're using HDMI already)
3.) You can charge your controller on your computer with a standard mini-USB cable (one is included with the system).

As for games, the PS3 has a ton of incredible exclusives. It's the reason I own the system. I don't know your tastes, but I consider these to be top-notch must-play titles.

1.) Uncharted/Uncharted 2 - Cinematic, kick-ass third-person action.
2.) LittleBigPlanet - Super fun platformer, great to play with others. Endless levels to go through (well 2 million levels by Sony's last count)
3.) MLB 10: The Show - If you like baseball, you now can play the best this generation, if not ever.
4.) Metal Gear Solid 4 - I honestly haven't played this since I didn't play the others, but it's gotten nothing but rave reviews, though some jab it for being more of a moivie due to its long cutscenes.
5.) Valkyria Chronicles - Great and beautifier cel-shaded strategy RPG/3rd-person hybrid
6.) Demon's Souls - This is more for people who like to punish themselves. It's an insanely hard, but completely rewarding action RPG with beautiful yet haunting environments to plow through.
7.) Killzone 2 - I really enjoyed this FPS. It is one of, if not the best looking games this console generation. The single player is alright, but the MP was what I enjoyed the most.
8.) God of War Collection - If you haven't played the GOW series, you should get this. It's a great value for two of the best games from the PS2. Plus it'll get you ready for God of War III, which is looking like another must-own/

uncharted 1 and 2

metal gear 4 if u played thru the older ones, otherwise it might not be too epic for you.

buy a mic or headset. i used a logitech usb mic with a on/off button. great for online play.

make sure ur using the higest resolution ur tv or monitor can support with a hdmi cable.

[quote name='ssjmichael']cool congrats, here's some advice off the the of my head.

1.) Look up info on PSN gamesharing. It's a great way to get PSN games for cheap
2.) Play around with your video settings (liek Gamma and such) to make sure you're getting the best picture (assuming you're using HDMI already)
3.) You can charge your controller on your computer with a standard mini-USB cable (one is included with the system).

As for games, the PS3 has a ton of incredible exclusives. It's the reason I own the system. I don't know your tastes, but I consider these to be top-notch must-play titles.

1.) Uncharted/Uncharted 2 - Cinematic, kick-ass third-person action.
2.) LittleBigPlanet - Super fun platformer, great to play with others. Endless levels to go through (well 2 million levels by Sony's last count)
3.) MLB 10: The Show - If you like baseball, you now can play the best this generation, if not ever.
4.) Metal Gear Solid 4 - I honestly haven't played this since I didn't play the others, but it's gotten nothing but rave reviews, though some jab it for being more of a moivie due to its long cutscenes.
5.) Valkyria Chronicles - Great and beautifier cel-shaded strategy RPG/3rd-person hybrid
6.) Demon's Souls - This is more for people who like to punish themselves. It's an insanely hard, but completely rewarding action RPG with beautiful yet haunting environments to plow through.
7.) Killzone 2 - I really enjoyed this FPS. It is one of, if not the best looking games this console generation. The single player is alright, but the MP was what I enjoyed the most.
8.) God of War Collection - If you haven't played the GOW series, you should get this. It's a great value for two of the best games from the PS2. Plus it'll get you ready for God of War III, which is looking like another must-own/[/QUOTE]

I suggest playing demos of these titles where you can...I know most of these don't but if you can play bits of them somewhere do so. All these suggestions are purely subjective, as are my opinions.

I think both Uncharted titles are overrated. U2 specifically is the most cinematic game I have ever played, without question. The camera angles that they used, set pieces and the characters are all top notch, but the gunplay didn't do it for me, and I never understood what the rave about the MP was all about. I went out and bought a PS3 Slim just for U2 and was mostly disappointed...I'm glad I played and beat it, but I promptly traded it away. Again, you may love it like 99% of the people who played it have, but I did not. If I had to pin-point the problem, it was probably the inconsistent AI in sections (sometimes ridiculously easy, sometimes obnoxiously hard) and the general aiming mechanics I didn't really like (this may have been the PS3 analog's stick's fault, which I am not used to anymore since I play all my shooters on the 360 now.)

I also thought LittleBigPlanet was highly overrated. The use of foreground and background elements, while creative, was frustrating to me. I often found myself getting stuck behind the environment I didn't know I was going to run into. The controls are also extremely floaty and do not handle like other platformers.

If you're a big metal fan, MGS4 is widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, MGS title.

Valkyria Chronicles is very genre-specific. If you enjoy tactics games, you'll love this. If you don't, you won't like it, plain and simple.

I also completely back up the GoW suggestion, but again that is because I am a big fan of the series.

The other titles suggested, I have not played myself.

If you want any PSN games or DLC for any game look into the gamesharing groups. Long term is your best friend here and paying $2 for a $10 game or $3 for something that's $15 is sooooo much better. As for games here is list of some my favorites.

Resistance 2
LittleBigPlanet
Infamous
Uncharted 1/2
Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and A Crack in time
For me I think MGS4 is overrated and i'm a MGS fan.

You really can't go wrong with anything PS3 exclusive (except Lair and Heavenly Sword).

Uncharted Series
Metal Gear Solid 4
MAG (Amazing game)
Heavy Rain
Killzone 2
Infamous
Little Big Planet
Ratchet Series

These are in order, btw.

I’m also considering buying a PS3 just to be able to play The Show. I’ve got a 360, and a standalone blu ray player already. I’m just trying to justify buying a PS3 (if I can find one!) Can I download game demos from the PSN like I can with Live?

[quote name='IOWABERG']I’m also considering buying a PS3 just to be able to play The Show. I’ve got a 360, and a standalone blu ray player already. I’m just trying to justify buying a PS3 (if I can find one!) Can I download game demos from the PSN like I can with Live?
[/QUOTE]

Yup, lots of demos available on the PSN. Unless you want to play some more exclusive games other than The Show(I'm not a baseball fan though, so my opinion might not matter to you :p), you should just stick with the 360 and blu ray player. But I highly recommend a lot of the exclusives others have suggested, definitely a lot of fun :)

[quote name='IOWABERG']I’m also considering buying a PS3 just to be able to play The Show. I’ve got a 360, and a standalone blu ray player already. I’m just trying to justify buying a PS3 (if I can find one!) Can I download game demos from the PSN like I can with Live?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but demos are less consistent than Live, especially for PSN titles. Unlike live, PSN titles do not have to have a demo like XBLA. If you're putting out a XBLA title, YOU MUST have a demo, but Sony does not demand that from developers for PSN.

I'm a new PS3 owner as well (since Christmas), and this is what I have learned:

1. MGS4 is a great game, especially if you're an MGS fan.
2. Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are fantastic games, especially Uncharted 2 with its epic scenes and its multiplayer.
3. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is arguably one of my favorites on the system.
4. If you're into classic arcade games and gravity puzzle games, Gravity Crash is a must-have. I personally think it's one of the most underrated PSN exclusives.
5. Even though you can charge your controller at your computer, I found it very useful to have one of those charging stations so you don't have to leave your computer or your PS3 on all night.

And that's all I have to say...for now.

Since others already suggested games, here are some other handy uses for it:

I'd suggest trying out Home. I'm not a huge fan, but I know those that are love it greatly. It has some fun mini-games (like Sodium One) along with a ton of different spaces for various games.

If you have Netflix you can order a Netflix Disc that allows you to watch Instant Streaming movies on your PS3.

Possibly... Make a European and Japanese account. Some people look down upon this, but they will sometimes have exclusive content that isn't available here in the U.S. such as demos. Buying stuff off the different stores gets a bit tricky though so I'd stick with the free stuff.

And, of course, play Uncharted 2 :). You won't be sorry.

Hope this helped. Enjoy!

We really need a sticky thread for this... Can we please make one called "New PS3 Owner"?

Wow. All great suggestions! Keep em coming!

I loved GOW on PS2, so I'm looking forward to GOW3. I wanted to play Uncharted to see the graphics.

I have a 52" philips 1080p. Are there any settings I should change on the PS3 to get the maximum quality? I'm already running it through HDMI

[quote name='jh6269']We really need a sticky thread for this... Can we please make one called "New PS3 Owner"?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm watching this thread. Found the Foreman grill model at the pawn shop yesterday. Extremely pleased with my purchase so far.

And MLB:the Show rules. Couldn't make it through an entire 3 games of 2K last year before I traded it in.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']

I also completely back up the GoW suggestion, but again that is because I am a big fan of the series.

The other titles suggested, I have not played myself.[/QUOTE]

you liked GOW but not uncharted? wow man lol

I bought a PS3 about 2 months ago and I played through Uncharted 2 and I feel like this might be the best game I've ever played. I say just start by getting Uncharted 2 (I suppose if you want to get the first one you can, but I don't feel that anything was lost by only playing the second) and then when you're done start looking for a second game. No sense in getting yourself into a backlog already.

[quote name='ZForce915']I bought a PS3 about 2 months ago and I played through Uncharted 2 and I feel like this might be the best game I've ever played. I say just start by getting Uncharted 2 (I suppose if you want to get the first one you can, but I don't feel that anything was lost by only playing the second) and then when you're done start looking for a second game. No sense in getting yourself into a backlog already.[/QUOTE]

I think he should start with the first to be honest. it's not only a great game in its own right, but then you really feel the progression from the first to the second. Going the other way would feel more like a slight step back at least graphically. You too should play the first though :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think he should start with the first to be honest. it's not only a great game in its own right, but then you really feel the progression from the first to the second. Going the other way would feel more like a slight step back at least graphically. You too should play the first though :D[/QUOTE]

I agree, he should definitely play through the first. I really enjoyed the first Uncharted and actually like it a smidgen better than Uncharted 2. Both games are fantastic experiences.

Also OP -> demos are your friend.

Try out the demos, there are so many of them you could spend your first week without having to actually buy a game.

bread's done
Back