New Rockstar Franchise A PS3 Exclusive

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/27/new-rockstar-games-franchise-exclusive-to-the-ps3/
This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on GameHead with Geoff Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive Software that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.
I just missed this episode, but it's good news for Sony.

[quote name='javeryh']This isn't that big of a deal I don't think - Rockstar's track record isn't that great if you take out GTA.[/QUOTE]Incorrect. Most games under the R* have been good (Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Red Dead Revolver, The Warriors, Manhunt, Max Payne, etc.). It's the other portion of Take Two (like 2k Games, Gotham Races, God Games, whatever) that have a horrible track record. If it's a game by the creators of Max Payne, Angel Studios (they changed their name now, but they've always had a good track record), etc., it will probably be good.

I just happen to think GTA is the worst franchise by R*, since people only play it to commit crime since they can't do it in real life without getting busted (most overrated franchise IMO).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Incorrect. Most games under the R* have been good (Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Red Dead Revolver, The Warriors, Manhunt, Max Payne, etc.). It's the other portion of Take Two (like 2k Games, Gotham Races, God Games, whatever) that have a horrible track record. If it's a game by the creators of Max Payne, Angel Studios (they changed their name now, but they've always had a good track record), etc., it will probably be good.

I just happen to think GTA is the worst franchise by R*, since people only play it to commit crime since they can't do it in real life without getting busted (most overrated franchise IMO).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, playing Manhunt or Max Payne is much better in that respect because all you're focused on is killing people.

[quote name='javeryh']This isn't that big of a deal I don't think - Rockstar's track record isn't that great if you take out GTA.[/quote]

the only crappy game rockstar developed was state of emergency..

Maybe it's just me but the only other game of theirs that I've enjoyed is Bully which is basically GTA with a different skin although I never played The Warriors.

TABLE TENNIS 2, BOYYYYYY!

:lol:

Look, I'm all for helping salvage the reputation of the PS3 at this point with exclusives, but I'd much rather see them get to work on LA Noir. That one teaser trailer looked too good to not be getting constant updates on it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Incorrect. Most games under the R* have been good (Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run, Red Dead Revolver, The Warriors, Manhunt, Max Payne, etc.). [/QUOTE]

It must just be personal opinion.. but out of all of those (and adding in GTA), I liked Smuggler's Run, and thats it.

Rockstar is easily the most overated studio, IMHO.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']It must just be personal opinion.. but out of all of those (and adding in GTA), I liked Smuggler's Run, and thats it.

Rockstar is easily the most overated studio, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yea they are. I like GTA, not as much as everyone else seems to but I have fun with it. Most of their titles, while not terrible, arent that great.

This could be a good thing for PS3, but I doubt it will be anything spectacular.

The bottom of the quote says this isn't LA Noire. LA Noire looks/sounds like it could be really good though. I'm liking the way R* is sticking to their roots.

[quote name='musha666']Yea they are. I like GTA, not as much as everyone else seems to but I have fun with it. Most of their titles, while not terrible, arent that great.

This could be a good thing for PS3, but I doubt it will be anything spectacular.[/QUOTE]

I think in the minds of those who worship the GTA series... it'll be held in higher regard. :) At least in relation to how you or I might feel about it. I am not a GTA fan... not so much for the content or the "sandbox" style... but more for the rather bleh story. :) It's not terrible... but it's not my cup of tea.

I can appreciate people's love for it... just am a bit puzzled by their extreme loyalty to the franchise. (I suppose people could say the same about my love of Tekken series... heh.)

[quote name='bigdaddy']I'm sure it will be as "exclusive" as MGS4 is.[/QUOTE]

Exclusive these days is more meaning the "other" console gets the port. :)

(and depending upon how much money they throw at the developer is how long it remains un-ported.)

[quote name='DJSteel']third party game companies can't afford to be exclusive to one console anymore...[/quote]Depends on how much their moneyhats are worth.

Anyway, any 'exclusive' news is good news for the PS3.

There's been a rash of that lately. WTF? PS3 sux!

[quote name='dallow']Depends on how much their moneyhats are worth.

Anyway, any 'exclusive' news is good news for the PS3.

There's been a rash of that lately. WTF? PS3 sux![/QUOTE]

Yeah fanboys mostly throwing that around. I either hear that at least once a day, or OMG MGS4 coming to DA 360!!1 u jus wait!11!!! Seriously who fucking cares? As long as I get to play the game I could care less what console it comes out on. Anyway I am about 50-50 with Rockstar some of their games I like and others I don't care for. Should be interesting to see what we get here.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I'm sure it will be as "exclusive" as MGS4 is.[/QUOTE]

So, then, you'll remove the quotes and consider it exclusive like MGS4 is? Since its exclusivity has been confirmed by Konami, Peter Moore, and Hideo Kojima?

Or, are you just taking the piss and being a troll in the PS3 forums yet again?

Oh, the latter. I see. Well, go about your business.

[quote name='postaboy']I read somewhere that "Rockstar are going to use that 50 million from microsoft for the development of the new ps3 game".[/quote]:lol: Thanks MS!

Wow.

I mean, I've been rooting for the PS3 this whole time, but now it's obvious it's over. This truly is the last nail in the PS3's coffin.

as a soon to be ps3 owner, this is good news for the ps3 possibly...It might be a shitty game though...

[quote name='postaboy']I read somewhere that "Rockstar are going to use that 50 million from microsoft for the development of the new ps3 game".[/quote]

Thats ok, msft will be using the money they will make for the dual shock in the ps3 to pay rockstar :)

[quote name='dallow']In the blog he confirmed it's not that game.[/QUOTE]
I have a bad habit of not reading the OP, in most threads. ;)

[quote name='Cornfedwb']It must just be personal opinion.. but out of all of those (and adding in GTA), I liked Smuggler's Run, and thats it.

Rockstar is easily the most overated studio, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

They're overrated slightly IMO, but their games have mostly been solid-to-excellent, except of course for State of Emergency. My personal opinion is that Bungie is by far the most overrated studio. >_>

This is good news for Sony, although I doubt that they let GTA exclusivity slide to get this new exclusive like they claim. GTA4 as an exclusive would've meant so much more than this, as there's really no way this new franchise will become the phenomenon GTA is. At least more people will get to enjoy the new GTA, which is a very good thing.

I wonder what Sony is paying RockStar for this? As an owner of both systems I'm not a big fan of Sony and MS paying off 3rd party developers to make exclusives, but I guess that's just part of the business now.

On an unrelated note, I read somewhere that given what a pain in the @ss it is to make for the PS3, game makers were likely going to start programing for the PS3 and then port to the Xbox (and that Sony is already paying EA to do so). It'll be interesting to see if that happens, and what impact it has on the quality differential b/w PS3 and Xbox games.

[quote name='dfo']I wonder what Sony is paying RockStar for this?[/QUOTE]
Definitely.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, then, you'll remove the quotes and consider it exclusive like MGS4 is? Since its exclusivity has been confirmed by Konami, Peter Moore, and Hideo Kojima?
[/quote]

I expect you to kiss my feet once some version of MGS4 comes out on the Xbox 360.

All those people you listed are liars, eeasy as that. of course they will say that now, but down the road when MS4 didn't make as much as money as they hoped it will be on the Xbox 360.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I expect you to kiss my feet once some version of MGS4 comes out on the Xbox 360.

All those people you listed are liars, eeasy as that. of course they will say that now, but down the road when MS4 didn't make as much as money as they hoped it will be on the Xbox 360.[/quote]

please stop posting the ps3 forums...stay to your own forum fanboy..

[quote name='bigdaddy']I expect you to kiss my feet once some version of MGS4 comes out on the Xbox 360.

All those people you listed are liars, eeasy as that. of course they will say that now, but down the road when MS4 didn't make as much as money as they hoped it will be on the Xbox 360.[/quote]

Your on, because if MGS does ever come to the 360, it won't be MGS4: Guns of Patriots, it will be MGS4: Substinance or something like that. It will be a crappy port that comes out a year later with a different name.

All those people you listed are liars, eeasy as that. of course they will say that now, but down the road when MS4 didn't make as much as money as they hoped it will be on the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

Liars. Of course. I hadn't thought of that. It made so much sense for Peter Moore to lie about MGS4's PS3 exclusivity. Y'know, since he was admitting that a highly-anticipated video game was not coming out on the system that he *represented*.

And, no doubt, you are an industry expert with insider information that Moore, Sony, Microsoft, Konami, and Kojima himself don't have access to. ;)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Your on, because if MGS does ever come to the 360, it won't be MGS4: Guns of Patriots, it will be MGS4: Substinance or something like that. It will be a crappy port that comes out a year later with a different name.[/quote]

It will be the same damn game!

And peter Moore just didn't know what's going on. Right this second it's not planned that MGS4 will be on the 360, but that can, and WILL change.

they tried with MGS2 and sales sucked.. I'm not sure they would go to the 360 until they release that game's substance/subsistence version...

this game could be really big, if done right... the city has to be as detailed as GTA, but it' be nice if you could basically have an open sand box like GTA, and you go around solving crimes... find a dead body here, then you go around looking for clues, talking to the right people (at the right times of day/night), and it could be a nice game. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Shoemakers's quest.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow.

I mean, I've been rooting for the PS3 this whole time, but now it's obvious it's over. This truly is the last nail in the PS3's coffin.[/quote]

This is definetally the last nail.

Rockstar games are only as good as the people that make them. How many designers, programmers, writers, etc. work at the same game company for long periods of time? I believe that Microsoft got screwed when they bought Rare because by that time, the creative people had already left(most likely had been head-hunted) for other companies.

bread's done
Back