New SMB Wii free collector's upgrade at GS

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Stopped by GS this morning and was told that they are offering a free upgrade to the collector's edition of New Super Mario Bros Wii when you pre-order the game. I asked what was in the collector's edition and all they knew was that there was supposed to be some additional characters. Hope someone finds this useful.

Update: After further conversations with other, different employees, it's claimed to be a Gamestop exclusive version of the game rather than a collector's edition. Looking for confirmation from someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wonka the Troll']I beg to differ with you on one point, Wii is last generation hardware. They could have easily released the Wii Sensor and Wiimote as an add-on to the Gamecube and the games ALL could have been done with the same graphics and same functions with the exception of having the SD card slot and internet.[/QUOTE]

But that would mean Nintendo would have to make good games again, and not rely on money made from an overrated, overpriced last gen console with crapware.

If this actually happens it would be a first. I suspect this means that they will have some bonus item you get with your pre-order, but an actual "collectors edition"? I doubt it.

[quote name='Wonka the Troll']I beg to differ with you on one point, Wii is last generation hardware. They could have easily released the Wii Sensor and Wiimote as an add-on to the Gamecube and the games ALL could have been done with the same graphics and same functions with the exception of having the SD card slot and internet.[/QUOTE]

Actually they could have even had the internet the gamecube also had an optional Ethernet adapter.

[quote name='mikejenks']Are you serious? 1st party Wii games take FOREVER to go down in price. Find me Twilight Princess for $19.99, and that's a launch title developed for last generation hardware.[/QUOTE]

Unless Wario is the star, then it drops like everything else.

Yeah, this sounds bogus to me. I think the last time Nintendo did anything resembling a Collector's Edition it was for Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (which only really offered the holo-lithic covers and gold carts). They definately do pre-order bonuses all the time, but that's something distinctly different.

P.S. - I'm not sure if you can really count Zelda: Collector's Edition despite the name. It was a promotional disk - not a CE version of a non-CE title. So that's not quite the same thing as what this would be.

[quote name='Warlock82']Yeah, this sounds bogus to me. I think the last time Nintendo did anything resembling a Collector's Edition it was for Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (which only really offered the holo-lithic covers and gold carts). They definately do pre-order bonuses all the time, but that's something distinctly different.

P.S. - I'm not sure if you can really count Zelda: Collector's Edition despite the name. It was a promotional disk - not a CE version of a non-CE title. So that's not quite the same thing as what this would be.[/QUOTE]

I'm still looking for that disc and it is STILL $30 after all these years. Who was it that said nintendo games drop in price? Even though the gc is dead this game is still holding value.

The gba mario is 32.99 :shock:

[quote name='Vinny']It'll be a lot like how Four Swords/Adventures worked... it'll be playable alone but will likely be more fun with more people. If you watch some of the videos, even with multiple players, it looks like the stages could easily be enjoyed by a single player. Good alone, better with friends.

On the other hand, I would sure love some classic 2D Mario platforming...:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I'm just really unclear on this game. I mean if it's all multiplayer centric-if you always have all these characters on screen, then it's NOT classic Super Mario Bros :(

I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've long thought that controller started as a Gamecube ad on... Nintendo's almost said as much. That said, I don't think the hardware generation was the person you were responding too's point.[/QUOTE]

It did. They mentioned this in an interview somewhere. I think there may have been a few things that would not have been possible on the pure-accessory level though - as in it probably would have worked closer to the level of Sixaxis or something awful like that. It could have just been a cost issue at the time...

As for the hardware, Wii does make some improvements. I think people have compared it more to the original Xbox than GameCube - slightly more power but not enough that it's a huge leap. It also has wifi though, that's a pretty big improvement (even if it's somewhat ruined by the whole "kid friendly" approach)

1061922955-00.jpg

Target exclusive Mario Golf. It was just a code on every copy but now that the wii is online they could easily make it an exclusive.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm just really unclear on this game. I mean if it's all multiplayer centric-if you always have all these characters on screen, then it's NOT classic Super Mario Bros :(

I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.)[/QUOTE]
You can play the entire game with only Mario on screen.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I really wish this was at least optionally a true, single player Super Mario, like New DS :( (and maybe it is, but doesn't seem like it from the preiviews I've watched.[/QUOTE]

My impression has been that it is played either single or multiplayer, not one or the other. Why couldn't it be played single player? I'm looking more forward to this game then Super Mario Galaxy 2 or really more then pretty much anything else.

I thought it was going to be like Super Mario Bros Deluxe for GBC: you can play through by yourself or cooperatively with other players on the screen simultaneously.

[quote name='Gohan']You can play the entire game with only Mario on screen.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay-that and the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe comparison bodes well :)

Thanks guys! If that's the case, this probably becomes a must buy for me :bouncy:

:lol: My Wii's library may end up consisting of:
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
...and that's it :lol:

Well you CAN, but that doesn't automatically mean it's a real single player game...lots of examples of that, unfortunately.

Stopped back in GS tonight. Different employees working. He claimed, as some have suggested, it's a Gamestop exclusive version of the game that has additional levels and characters. He also stated that it may have more freebies, but they're not sure yet. No word on how this content will be delivered.

[quote name='squishface']I'm still looking for that disc and it is STILL $30 after all these years. Who was it that said nintendo games drop in price? Even though the gc is dead this game is still holding value.
[/QUOTE]

It's a waste, IMO. Majora's Mask (the biggest reason to buy it) has bad sound and can freeze. I didn't like playing LoZ and AoL with a GC controller. If you want OoT on GC, get it with Master Quest.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well you CAN, but that doesn't automatically mean it's a real single player game[/QUOTE]

Actually...going by a Shigeru Miyamoto interview, New Super Mario Bros. Wii IS a "real" single player game, the multiplayer stuff just seemed added as an afterthought. :whistle2:(

“We really didn’t think about designing the courses or levels for multiplayer. They’re designed for that single player experience. But it’s fun to have more people playing together. We really didn’t go out of our way to build anything for multiplayer.”

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/New...ario_Bros._2_feature_returns_to_NSMB_Wii.html

from what I heard today it is up to 4 player multiplayer and might be compared to little big planet ?

but for sure has single player because of the footage released

[quote name='icedrake523']It's a waste, IMO. Majora's Mask (the biggest reason to buy it) has bad sound and can freeze. I didn't like playing LoZ and AoL with a GC controller. If you want OoT on GC, get it with Master Quest.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I didn't find the emulations that bad. Sure, it does freeze from time to time but every game included is still completely playable. And for all the games included $30 sure ain't a bad value.

[quote name='AntiSocial']Actually...going by a Shigeru Miyamoto interview, New Super Mario Bros. Wii IS a "real" single player game, the multiplayer stuff just seemed added as an afterthought. :whistle2:(

“We really didn’t think about designing the courses or levels for multiplayer. They’re designed for that single player experience. But it’s fun to have more people playing together. We really didn’t go out of our way to build anything for multiplayer.”

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/New...ario_Bros._2_feature_returns_to_NSMB_Wii.html[/QUOTE]

Awesome! :bouncy: Thanks! For me, that's fantastic news. I love the Super Mario Bros. series (and the all too rare QUALITY platformer in general), and I'm glad to see they're not wrecking this into yet another spastic multiplayer thing (even though I realize some people might prefer that...but given there are only a whooping 5 Super Mario Bros. games in existence, depending on how you count... (maybe six as I'd be willing to count Galaxy, but still...)

I really hope they don't have an exclusive version with levels that nobody else has. If there is anything, hopefully it's just an unlock code that anyone can enter in any copy.

[quote name='crunchewy']I really hope they don't have an exclusive version with levels that nobody else has. If there is anything, hopefully it's just an unlock code that anyone can enter in any copy.[/QUOTE]

It's possible that could be it. I have no idea what to think about this. I think there's something to it, but it could be something much smaller than they're claiming. Hard to say until it's officially announced.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I tend to buy first party Nintendo games on day 1. If this is true, GameStop will have my money.[/QUOTE]

yea. i usually buy most first party games day one, but lately I have been waiting out till a little later than day one, but if this is true I might get this day one.

I pre-ordered and paid this off at Gamestop a month ago. Think they will give me the collector's edition when it comes in or do I have to switch my pre-order?

[quote name='Rictor']I pre-ordered and paid this off at Gamestop a month ago. Think they will give me the collector's edition when it comes in or do I have to switch my pre-order?[/QUOTE]

There's no collector's edition that I'm aware of. If it's true, there's a Gamestop Exclusive edition which you would get automatically.

[quote name='Cindaddy']There's no collector's edition that I'm aware of. If it's true, there's a Gamestop Exclusive edition which you would get automatically.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the Gamestop exclusive version of The Conduit. I didn't get it until Wednesday when all other stores had the regular version on Tuesday. Hope this doesn't happen with Mario.

[quote name='Rictor']I picked up the Gamestop exclusive version of The Conduit. I didn't get it until Wednesday when all other stores had the regular version on Tuesday. Hope this doesn't happen with Mario.[/QUOTE]

That would stink.

[quote name='62t']Well gamestop got exclusive Bioshock Le as well as the upcoming Assassin Creed 2 LE. And if you remember Target got exclusive Mario Golf content with different package.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said "almost always" ;). I knew there were a couple, but my point is that it just isn't very likely.

[quote name='Rictor']I picked up the Gamestop exclusive version of The Conduit. I didn't get it until Wednesday when all other stores had the regular version on Tuesday. Hope this doesn't happen with Mario.[/QUOTE]
Considering it's a Mario game, GS will probably have it the day of release. The only big game that I can recall they didn't have on release day was Kingdom Hearts 2.

I'm kind of amazed people care if it's the day of release or whatever. I'm not sure if it's my age, or my experience, or the giant pile of games I have yet to play, but I wouldn't care if they got a game 2 months later. Just makes no difference to me, even if it's something I figure I'll love. I don't think I've been excited about anything coming out since 2000 with the PS2 launch (which isn't to say I don't enjoy games just as much-or more-as before, I just don't need to play them the instant they come out).

Actually this site has probably affected that a lot!

Wow four pages of reading through this and I think I only saw four or five posts about the actual topic. I'm heading to the Gamestop in Wichita, KS today and will ask and see if I can get a response from them.

Ok, if it's a "GameStop exclusive edition" I can see that, however it still seems uncharacteristic of Nintendo. Most of their pre-order bonuses are wholely "side" items, like the OoT Collector's Disk, or the Mario coin, etc. I've never actually known them to add things to the actual game you are pre-ordering (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

And especially in the case of the Mario coin, they went out of their way to make that available from a bunch of different retailers, not just GameStop. I can't remember if the OoT disk was the same way or not - I believe I got mine from Software Etc. but I also think they were both owned by the same company at the time anyways so it's irrelevant (I know that particular Software Etc is now a GameStop). It just seems like as a company, they dislike the exclusive content. The OoT disk in particular came off as more of a "gift for the die-hard Zelda fans" with the way they promoted it.

So we'll see I guess?

(side note - I suppose we don't know if this is *actually* a GameStop exclusive either.. they could be claiming that right now to get people to pre-order. I certainly wouldn't put that past them. It would seem more likely to be true if it's being offered by a few different retailers - particularly Amazon and some of the major chains like Best Buy, Walmart and Target)

[quote name='Rozz']Eh, I didn't find the emulations that bad. Sure, it does freeze from time to time but every game included is still completely playable. And for all the games included $30 sure ain't a bad value.[/QUOTE]

Considering how different saving was in MM, I wouldn't want it. If it were like OoT were you pressed B at the pause menu, it'd be different. But having to save at save points and going back to Day 1 if you didn't, it has potential to be a major inconvenience. Especially with the side quests where the day and time was important.

This is personal preference, I wouldn't want to play LoZ or AoL with the GC controller. I use the D-Pad when I can on controllers to preserve the analog stick. But the GC's D-Pad is too small to use comfortable for extended periods of time.

it's not real. i called gamestop corporate customer service and they said there is no collectors or exclusive bonus.

It seems like they do this with every game, or the store in my area is particularly bad about it. I was told that the Wii edition of Twilight Princess would have some bonus disk with it 2 years before the game came out, and that there would be a poster and special edition of Fire Emblem for DS, none of which turned out to be true despite them advertising the poster on the window.

I called about this one as well, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

bread's done
Back