New SMT game - Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs Avadon King

Demon negotiation fucking blows. I doubt this is the last time I'll be posting that. And does the game really have to explain to me the concept behind a save point every time I reach one?

[quote name='pete5883']Demon negotiation fucking blows. I doubt this is the last time I'll be posting that. [/QUOTE]

Oh, cry some more. It is way easier than Persona 2's.

Finally had a chance to play more last night. I'm in Chapter 2. I like the fact that the demons play a larger role in dungeon exploration.

Also I was happy to see Raidou's hard attack changes depending on what type of weapons you have equiped. His axe/hammer attack is very cool.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']Should I play the first devil summoner or just play this one? I'm on the fence... I don't know if the story requires it or not.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. Buy this.

Hows the story going so far for this? I have yet to open my copy and doubt I will be getting around to it till next weekend, but I had to force myself though the first one, found the story in it to be bland.

Demon negotiation is the main reason I'm loving this game so much. It gives the demons so much more personality... and the demons are the centerpiece of Shin Megami Tensei to me.

Anyway, this is now my second favorite RPG on the PS2 after Nocturne.

[quote name='LostRoad']Hows the story going so far for this? I have yet to open my copy and doubt I will be getting around to it till next weekend, but I had to force myself though the first one, found the story in it to be bland.[/QUOTE]

Story-wise it's on the same level as the first, but I'm only in the 3rd Chapter.

Really like it so far. Demon negotiation hasn't blown in a while - back in Ch 1, I needed an Obariyon to break a rock, and of course every time I tried to negotiate with one, it would suck me dry and run away. After I finally bit the bullet to go back to Gouma-den to just buy the demon, I had to walk all the way back to the end of the dungeon. And on my way there, I kept being forced into conversations that took forever to get out of, when all I wanted to do was run away. No complaints since then.

I'm finding the story way better than the first, too. The whole Marriage Ritual/Lord Tento thing (being vague to avoid spoilers) is pretty original and interesting.

Atlus needs to learn something called "pacing." Chapter 5, so far, for me, was 2.5 hours of investigation, followed by 3 hours of several recycled dungeons in a row. Followed up by an annoying, slow boss.

[quote name='pete5883']Atlus needs to learn something called "pacing." Chapter 5, so far, for me, was 2.5 hours of investigation, followed by 3 hours of several recycled dungeons in a row. Followed up by an annoying, slow boss.[/QUOTE]

Fuuuuuck. I'm at Chapter 4 right now.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm in Chapter 5 right now... I can see where this is going. 2.5 hours of investigation is a little on the high side though unless you were doing sidequests.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Fuuuuuck. I'm at Chapter 4 right now.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm in Chapter 5 right now... I can see where this is going. 2.5 hours of investigation is a little on the high side though unless you were doing sidequests.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I was taking my time a bit. It was definitely a bit long though. At least things pick back up before the end of the chapter.

My only complaint is the localization. It's not bad at all, but bad for Atlus USA's high standards. I've seen text go out of boxes, demons' immunities go off the screen, and... What's a TarrTarrasque?

[quote name='forweg']My only complaint is the localization. It's not bad at all, but bad for Atlus USA's high standards. I've seen text go out of boxes, demons' immunities go off the screen, and... What's a TarrTarrasque?[/QUOTE]
Gotta say after 30 hours I haven't seen any of this. You're playing a retail copy?

[quote name='pete5883']Gotta say after 30 hours I haven't seen any of this. You're playing a retail copy?[/QUOTE]

Same here, not seen anything odd yet.

Yes, I'm playing a retail copy. I guess all those things I mentioned are easily missable, but I promise you they're there. (I think the demon whose "Drain:" goes off the screen is either Gdon or Throne... it's some sort of flame demon, at any rate.)

Yeah just checked on it, in the demon dictionary Throne has text running off the right side of the screen. Haven't seen any dialogue going out of boxes, though.

The shop guy's text goes out of the box when you talk to him after buying a certain amount. Not that big of a deal at all, just sayin'.

[quote name='pete5883']I guess I'm at the last dungeon. Story wasn't nearly as good as I'd been lead to believe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it went downhill fast after the midgame. Just started Chapter 6.

I've realized I don't like the whole detective perspective. It takes Raidou & his pals out of the plot while they act more like a 3rd party. The story (so far) has nothing to do with Raidou, he's simply the dude that's gonna save the day.

Still, I like the battles and fusion. But I haven't had any trouble in battle what-so-ever. Are there any boss fights you guys have had difficulties with so far?

Like I said, I just started Chapter 6. Only somewhat challenging bosses thus far was one of the ones in Chapter 5 and the White and Red Riders. Black was easier imo despite it appearing later.

I found the Riders long and boring. Gave up on Pale, I think, because he stoned and 1-shotted me. The last boss is apparently very cheap, and a huge pain in the ass. It seems a couple Somas are necessary. I'm not looking forward to it.

[quote name='pete5883']I found the Riders long and boring. Gave up on Pale, I think, because he stoned and 1-shotted me. The last boss is apparently very cheap, and a huge pain in the ass. It seems a couple Somas are necessary. I'm not looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

I read the same. The rest of the game has been pretty easy too.

[quote name='pete5883']Nevermind, according to GameFAQs you can only carry one Soma at a time.[/QUOTE]

What. The. fuck.

:wall::wall::wall:

EDIT: Yeah, apparently that's shown right on the menu screen, didn't notice it. Weak.

On Chapter 7 now. Chapter 6 was pretty short.

ProTip: You can easily find Luck Locusts in Dark capital areas by transforming into Tatsumi and using square to whistle. Probably 80% of the time this automatically gets you into a battle with 1-2 Luck Locusts. This will save a lot of time later on.

Don't despair, I beat the last boss in 1 try. Did not come close to dying. His weaknesses:

On the first form, it changes after he uses one of his unique elemental skills.
-At the start: [Null: Gun; Absorb: Death, Mind]
-After using his Fire skill: [Frail: Ice; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Fire]
-After using his Ice skill: [Frail: Force; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Ice]
-After using his Elec skill: [Frail: Fire; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Elec]
-After using his Force skill: [Frail: Elec; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Force]

On the third form, it changes after he comes back from using his long range attacks (like Judge Eye). Of the four patterns he chooses, it's random.
-At the start: [Frail: Fire]
-Pattern 1: [Frail: Ice; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Fire]
-Pattern 2: [Frail: Force; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Ice]
-Pattern 3: [Frail: Fire; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Elec]
-Pattern 4: [Frail: Elec; Strong: Phys; Null: Gun, Death, Mind; Absorb: Force]

Strategy:
I was ~lv 68, demons ~60. Had 2 or 3 "breath" attacks, these do a lot of damage in multiple hits. When the 3rd form prepares to do a big attack, run to one of the back corners and hide your demons. When "Judgement Eye" appears on screen, run to the other back corner. Repeat a few times. After every round of judgement eyes, test him out with different dyne spells to see what his new weakness is. Really very easy.

Wow... the game just referred to Dahn as "Dan." Epic fail.

Also, is the
bigass ball
the final dungeon or do I still have more to go? I plan on doing sidequests before I tackle it so...

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah, bigass ball is it. Bring Repulse Waters. Make sure you do the "imposter Raidou" sidequest.[/QUOTE]

Done and done. Gonna screw around in the optional dungeon that opens up after the Imposter Raidou quest then beat it. Thanks for replying.

Beat it. A bit under 50 hours on the clock but it took a little less than that because I stopped playing for a while while keeping the game still on a few times (no pause feature AFAIK). Final boss was pretty easy, I didn't know WTF was going on with
the second form
at first, but once I figured that out it was a joke. Not a very hard game, but I really enjoyed it.

I thought the ending was kind of insulting.
They forgot about Louis, and after all those moral choices, the only thing that changes in the ending is whether Dahn or Akane dies.

[quote name='pete5883']I thought the ending was kind of insulting.
They forgot about Louis, and after all those moral choices, the only thing that changes in the ending is whether Dahn or Akane dies.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, so that's what changed in the ending. I was wondering what the differences were. Did you do chaos or law? I was law. Also, did the
penultimate boss change depending on if Dahn or Akane dies? I fought Dahn. Is there a third ending available on New Game+ that includes all the new shit you can do on it? Also, it really cheesed me off that I had to fight the Riders THREE TIMES. First randomly on the new moon so I could summon them, then for Louis's quests, then again in the final dungeon. They were super easy by then, but come on. There are plenty of mythological people/creatures they could have used to have the same effect.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Ah, so that's what changed in the ending. I was wondering what the differences were. Did you do chaos or law? I was law. Also, did the
penultimate boss change depending on if Dahn or Akane dies? I fought Dahn. Is there a third ending available on New Game+ that includes all the new shit you can do on it? Also, it really cheesed me off that I had to fight the Riders THREE TIMES. First randomly on the new moon so I could summon them, then for Louis's quests, then again in the final dungeon. They were super easy by then, but come on. There are plenty of mythological people/creatures they could have used to have the same effect.
[/QUOTE]
I kinda wanted to go for lawful, but the choices at the end pushed me to neutral. I fought
Akane. I don't think there's another ending, but I haven't really looked into it. The only new game + bonuses I know about is a few quests that get you Lucifer if you finished the game as chaotic. I didn't bother with any of Louis' quests, but after all these SMT's, I'm quite used to Atlus reusing everything over and over.

I picked this game up a week ago and it's sitting unopened on my shelf. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it. I don't really think I have the money for it and I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it. I'm replaying KOTOR at the moment and I need to continue with Lost Odyssey.

I hated the first game despite my desire to get into it and my love for the era and presentation. That was roughly two years ago.

I decided I'd give it another try before getting into the second game and it's not at all the game I remember. I'm having a lot of fun! Just finished Chapter 8 and am excited to see how the second game improves on the formula.

bread's done
Back