New Super Mario Brothers Wii deals thread - Back to 2D Glory. UPDATED 9/23

gomikeoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Get Hyped.

e3-2009-new-super-mario-screens-200-590x323.jpg

Release Date: November 15, 2009

Amazon - 10 dollar game credit + 46.99 + ECA/Goldbox stack for more potential savings.
Walmart - 10 dollar e-giftcard with purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gryphter']can anyone explain to me what it means when people say "this game showed up in my gold box?" or like how the OP put it:

Amazon - 10 dollar game credit + 46.99 + ECA/Goldbox stack for more potential savings.

I know what Amazon Gold Box is, it's the deal of the day that shows up with the lightning deals, right? Could someone elaborate, please?[/QUOTE]

On the Gold Box page, there is usually a separate section a little further down on the page called "Quick Picks" (assuming you are logged in and have made at least one previous purchase from amazon), with 2-9 items (which vary day to day) that you may be interested in, based on previous purchases, browsing, and rating history. These items are discounted 5% off of whatever Amazon's current price is.

I have noticed that I haven't had a quick picks section for the past couple of days, though, not sure what is up with that.

I couldn't pass up $39.94 plus a $10 gift card towards next purchase for Amazon. I don't really play online so no big loss for me. I really need a game to play on the WII. THe last game I got was HODOK an while the game was alright it was extremely short and I'm not even good at playing video games. LOL. Good thing I have a PS3 as there is always games I buy for that system like U2.

found it in my gold box and just pre-ordered. If TRU has a better deal with a gift card I will definitely cancel and buy there.

Amazon just emailed a bit ago and let me know the game would arrive (Super Saver) between Dec 1st - 7th. That's a LONG LONG wait for a Nintendo junkie like me. I'll probably end up at TRU on release. Heck, I might full price it at Walmart. :/

Those dates are never accurate. I just ordered Halo ODST two days ago (the day of release) and it said it wasn't shipping until October 1st, instead it shipped yesterday (9/24)

I have never seen their dates be correct in the years I've been ordering them, it always ends up being earlier.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Can someone explain the single player mode. Is it just a port from NSMB DS? Or is it completely original? Or a little or both?[/QUOTE]

It's a sequel. For example, you can now ride Yoshis. Plus there are new items.

The Amazon deal for a future video game purchase is much better than the $10 gift card from Wal-Mart... Does anyone remember Amazon's Black Friday video game deals last year? Or all through December for that matter? Hot damn!

Got this in my Gold Box today. Preordered it for $39.94 after GB discount and ECA discount. Also getting the $10 digital GC after it ships. Couldn't pass that deal up (watch TRU offer a $25 GC, lol).

[quote name='jacknicklson']Exactly^ Mine is said to ship near November 8th with Prime so I would imagine that the 8th is the tentative release date for now[/QUOTE]

Nintendo officially announced Nov 15th as the release date.

[quote name='emperordahc']Amazon just emailed a bit ago and let me know the game would arrive (Super Saver) between Dec 1st - 7th. That's a LONG LONG wait for a Nintendo junkie like me. I'll probably end up at TRU on release. Heck, I might full price it at Walmart. :/[/QUOTE]

Those dates are never correct but just represent a worst case scenario. I normally get the game a week after release when ordering with Super Saver.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Can someone explain the single player mode. Is it just a port from NSMB DS? Or is it completely original? Or a little or both?[/QUOTE]

It's a brand new game. It'll probably have one or two "homages" to past titles but according to Nintendo, new game.

I remember some dumbass on here trying to tell me it was a port of the DS game. As if Nintendo would do a AAA release that is taking forever if it were just a port. A few people set him straight and he hasn't been heard from since. Funny how that happens.

[quote name='confoosious']It's a brand new game. It'll probably have one or two "homages" to past titles but according to Nintendo, new game.

I remember some dumbass on here trying to tell me it was a port of the DS game. As if Nintendo would do a AAA release that is taking forever if it were just a port. A few people set him straight and he hasn't been heard from since. Funny how that happens.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to read this hilarious exchange. Link, please.

[quote name='Law_Professor']The Amazon deal for a future video game purchase is much better than the $10 gift card from Wal-Mart... Does anyone remember Amazon's Black Friday video game deals last year? Or all through December for that matter? Hot damn![/QUOTE]

EDIT: Dear Amazon Gods, Please put this in my GoldBox. Thank you!

Wasn't planning on getting this but got bit by the Gold Box bug. Got a double ECA on it too (which I didn't know was possible until this happened...cancelled an NBA 2k10 preorder the other day because I want to try out the improved NBA Live demo a bit first before deciding, and I guess I had an old ECA code on there).

So yeah, 35 bucks with a ten dollar gift card was too good to pass up on.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't know that it was that funny... just sad.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6295744&postcount=136

I don't know why people have to hate the wii so much. Wii deal? Hurry, gotta post how shitty the wii is for "real gamerz!"[/QUOTE]

That thread is comedy gold. ROFL :D:D

[quote name='crunchewy']I learn something new every day here at CAG. For example, I was wrong when I thought I liked the games I have for the Wii. Apparently all those games suck. For example, I didn't actually have a blast playing Punchout like I thought I had. Apparently I was delusional. Or something. Ditto for all the other games we have. I must have been seriously fucked up when I thought I liked those games. Not only that, but all the games that I was looking forward to on the Wii in the future are going to suck ass. Knowing that saves me a lot of money. Thanks CAG![/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by JohnDoeHoe
If anyone wants to sell their old Wii I'll give you 40, ah make it $50.

Someone replied to that..

[quote name='lawdood']Funny, that's the same price your mom....[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by d3adliner
Sure it's not the best system but there ARE some pretty decent games for it already, with more to come.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - 2 doesnt even have a screenshot.
Fatal Frame IV - never coming to europe or america.
ExciteTruck - You're serious? This and ExciteBots are really boring racers with bad controls for the tricks.
Another Code: R - Hardly everyones cup of tea. Very niche.
SSBB - Fake fighter for children with 2fps online.
The Conduit - LOL
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles - Resident Evil! ON RAILS!
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - See above.
Punch-Out - Its decent, but lost a lot of its charm. I didnt even end up finishing it.
Cursed Mountain - LOL
Disaster: Day of Crisis - Never coming to america
The Grinder - LOL
MadWorld - 4-5 hour repetitive game.
No More Heroes 1 & 2 - 1 is decent, 2 is still far away
New Super Mario Bros. - remake of the DS title, no online
Fragile - LOL
Dead Space Extraction - DEAD SPACE!!!! On rails!
Tornado Outbreak - ????
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - No action for extra casualness!

The thing is, i'm REALLY looking forward to Dead Space Extraction. I'll probably ditch my other games for at least a week when that comes out.

JohnDoeHoe was the same guy who pitched a hissy fit about something, requested the mods delete his account.... and before the pixels were dry, a mod obliged him. Now, that, was hilarious.

[quote name='confoosious']I don't know that it was that funny... just sad.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6295744&postcount=136

I don't know why people have to hate the wii so much. Wii deal? Hurry, gotta post how shitty the wii is for "real gamerz!"[/QUOTE]

that thread needs to be closed.

But maybe I have the same hatred for the iphone too... I really don't think it's a gaming platform though there are some choice apps.

I enjoy the wii, I don't breathe and eat it but it's good for what it was trying to do. It doesn't RROD and it wasn't hugely expensive with a lesser library of games.

Things are changing but the damn thing came out in 2006... already almost 4 years old.

Already pre-ordered with ECA so waiting for whenever they release it.

[quote name='xycury']that thread needs to be closed.

But maybe I have the same hatred for the iphone too... I really don't think it's a gaming platform though there are some choice apps.

I enjoy the wii, I don't breathe and eat it but it's good for what it was trying to do. It doesn't RROD and it wasn't hugely expensive with a lesser library of games.

Things are changing but the damn thing came out in 2006... already almost 4 years old.

Already pre-ordered with ECA so waiting for whenever they release it.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'm personally a bit disappointed in the lack of decent games recently as well (that is to say, I haven't really powered my Wii on since Mario Kart, other than a VC title here or there). But I don't hate the system by any means, and of course, I think it's hard to deny some of the stuff on the horizon (i.e. like NSMB Wii) is not going to be great :D

It's sad that some people have to be such adament fanboys about this stuff though. That comment about how SSBB is a "fake fighter for children" was hilariously pathetic.

The whole thing about NSMB Wii being the DS game though, I still don't understand where they are pulling that from (well, I *know* where, but still...) I mean, all you have to do is watch the trailer for the thing to see that it looks absolutely nothing like the DS version other than "it has Mario and it is 2D". Honestly, that's exactly why I am so excited for it - it's *not* the DS game. I was actually disappointed in the DS title, it just felt very flat to me (best explaination I can come up with is boring level design). It felt like they were taking the "remake of SMB1" aspect a little too seriously in some cases, to the detriment of the game. This on the other hand, resembles something closer to SMB3 or SMW, which is exactly what I think the original was missing. Just watching the trailer, there is *variety* in the levels. Crazy platforming, different, awesome power-ups. Even the Koopa Kids are returning! It actually feels creative, rather than derivative.. if that makes sense :p So yeah, I can't wait ;)

Hmm only $35.24 after gold box and 20% off via stacked ECA and an additional $10 gc. I wonder if TRU will beat this with a $25 gc and some sort of coin/preorder bonus.

[quote name='jcarlon']Wasn't planning on getting this but got bit by the Gold Box bug. Got a double ECA on it too (which I didn't know was possible until this happened...cancelled an NBA 2k10 preorder the other day because I want to try out the improved NBA Live demo a bit first before deciding, and I guess I had an old ECA code on there).

So yeah, 35 bucks with a ten dollar gift card was too good to pass up on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that damn gold box is making me want to order something I wasn't going to get.

I just received a 25 dollar gift certificate from my visa amazon card points, does anyone know how to add it to my pre-order while still keeping my double stacked eca discount?

Yeah, I'm waiting for a better offer. Seems like new games these days are getting some nice gift card bonuses. I remember when game preorders only came with just a lousy t-shirt. Now its exclusive content and/or gift cards.

Over the weekend I canceled my pre-order because I found I had the wondrous double-ECA goodness available, which is better the single-ECA + gold box. I was going to then just re-order it right away, but decided to wait a few days to see if it would show up again in my Gold Box. Sure enough, the next day it was in my gold box, so now I'm getting it with double-ECA and goldbox, plus the gift card. Woohoo! I actually had a $30 trade-in coupon going toward it before, but that got eaten up by Pinball Hall of Fame 360 and a replacement copy of Animal Crossing, which I also ordered at the same time to get double-ECA for those.

I just got it in my Gold Box today, and I already had an ECA code applied so I was able to double stack, [insert moral, ethical, and TOS comments and debate here]. Amazon already had it 6% off list price, Gold Box is another 5%, and a double stack of ECA is 10% + 10% for a grand total of 31% off.

Items: $46.99
Gold Box Discount: -$2.35
Promotion Applied: -$4.70
Promotion Applied: -$4.70

Total: $35.24

I count the $10 credit as applying to the game I'm purchasing because I'm weird like that (and don't consider anything I'm using that credit on as being cheaper because of the credit), so for me this is New Super Mario Brothers Wii for a grand total of $25.24.

I'll take that any day of the week for a first party Nintendo game that hasn't even been released yet.

You are not quite getting 31% off the MSRP you are claiming (not considering the $10 off another game). But still, getting nearly 30% off of a brand new game is good.

Yeah thats true, only 6% is off the list price, the other 25% is off the $47 instead of $50. My bad, since its actually 29.5% as you alluded to. 29.5% v. 31% - still good to me.

Had it in my Gold Box today, with that extra percent+eca+gift card, it is low enough for me to buy. Usually I will not buy games right away, but since I know how Nintendo titles hold their value so well, I figured this is one of the best deals I will see for a while. Plus I don't have to worry about going to the store during a certain time.

bread's done
Back