New TF2 Medic Weapons

[quote name='crystalklear64']Not even you say it sucks, just that you suck at it...

If you're bad at other FPS games, TF2 is no different.[/QUOTE]

No I'm actually quite good at other FPS. Its just that the different classes don't play out like rock paper scissors like they should. I could go on how each class is faulty but I don't want to waste my time.

Rock paper scissors balancing is boring, frankly.

And this is probably the WORST weekend Valve could've done the free play gimmick. Newcomers will see everyone farming for stupid med achievements (that FPS games now have farming saddens me a bit) and think this is how the game usually is.

In defense of TF2, when you begin to see how the classes can interact, what roles are needed on what maps, etc... it's really quite beautiful. It isn't a rock-paper-scissors game, its a teamwork game.

Ya, the new Gold Rush map is absolutely brilliant when it comes to team interaction. Every class has different spots to shine. Next to Dbowl, it's the best map for sure.

[quote name='Serik']And this is probably the WORST weekend Valve could've done the free play gimmick. Newcomers will see everyone farming for stupid med achievements (that FPS games now have farming saddens me a bit) and think this is how the game usually is.[/QUOTE]
This is very true. I just played two hours on a 2fort pub server (ugh) trying to show the ropes to a friend who's playing on the free weekend. It was the only thing we could get on together.

He was seeing TF2 at its absolute stupidest: first, it's a pub server; second, it's 2fort; third, it's just after the update so both teams have a minimum of 6 meds at all times. I kept apologizing to him, and he kept remarking about all the meds, "Why are they doing this?" in spite of my explanation. Even though my friend hasn't done significant gaming since UT:GOTY, all the zerging meds gave him lots of target practice. The ol' rocket launcher twitch came back and he was doing pretty well as a soldier.

He didn't sound impressed, though. The only positive thing he said was, "Man, this crit thing is great."

I wanted to get him in some dustbowl, but he had a tough time connecting to a lot of servers. His ping wasn't bad, so we were wondering if maybe Valve was restricting free accounts somehow. One restriction I know of is that I couldn't add him to my friends list in Steam.

I also have a couple of friends playing the free weekend and I'm glad that the servers I've played with them so far haven't all been medic filled monstrosities. I know some people here might be against this but right when the achievements came out me and my friends joined an empty server and just did all the ones we could. the reason we did this was so that when we actually went to play a real server we could actually play other classes and not want to do the medic achievements. I kinda feel like a cheater now but I'd rather be a cheater than an idiot running after other medics with a bonesaw.

nothing wrong with farming for achievements! best way to get ahead I say.

dothog: what do you mean by hard time connecting? For the past six months, my server has taken at least 30-40 seconds to fully populate, which is ridiculous. I was just going to ask if anyone else has the same problem.

[quote name='Serik']
dothog: what do you mean by hard time connecting? For the past six months, my server has taken at least 30-40 seconds to fully populate, which is ridiculous. I was just going to ask if anyone else has the same problem.[/QUOTE]
I could connect to pub servers that immediately refused my friend (who was on the free account). We couldn't figure out why it was happening. Since we wanted to get on the same server together, our choices were limited by this problem.

If anybody has any explanations, lemme know. Maybe his ping sucked hard and that's why he was refused. He swore his ping was good, but who knows.

As far as farming achievements, I have no problem with it--my problem is that Valve has put people in that position to begin with. They can't keep this up over future updates, because it's making most pub games difficult to stomach and will continue to do so. It's taking the "team" out of Team Fortress. Just put the weapons out there for everyone to enjoy.

I just got my Blutsauger the normal way and I couldn't be happier. I'll hopefully get the second one and stop there. I can't wait for most of the other classes because I use them more.

I wish Valve had tied the new weapons to the healing achievement only. Keep the other achievements as fun goals or something to tell you when you've done something cool. But the weapons should unlock as you play the Medic and the better you play as the Medic, the faster you unlock the weapons. First weapon unlocks at 300,000 heal points, the second weapon at 600,000 heal points and the final weapon unlocks after 1,000,000 heal points.

Also, the Vamp needler is much more powerful than the standard needler. It makes it near impossible for the Pyro to kill a Medic. There should be more of a give-and-take with the new weapons. Where you know you have to sacrifice something in order to get something else. And taking away crits isn't enough.

vI wanted to get him in some dustbowl, but he had a tough time connecting to a lot of servers. His ping wasn't bad, so we were wondering if maybe Valve was restricting free accounts somehow. One restriction I know of is that I couldn't add him to my friends list in Steam.

There must have been something wrong with his connection. Adding someone to your friends list isn't tied to any game. I had a friend on my list and when he played the free weekend of TF2 I was able to easily join his games.

[quote name='Serik']Rock paper scissors balancing is boring, frankly.

And this is probably the WORST weekend Valve could've done the free play gimmick. Newcomers will see everyone farming for stupid med achievements (that FPS games now have farming saddens me a bit) and think this is how the game usually is.[/QUOTE]

You can blame CoD 4 for that.

Welcome to the age of unlockable achievements in EVERY FPS now... now that Infinity Ward did it, it was highly successful, every one in the gaming industry praised it to high hell, and now you're going to see many online FPS's copy this.

Hell, TF 2 already is copying it... Valve said they "had this idea for a long time, just didn't know how to implement it" but gee, I don't think it's surprising that CoD 4 comes out a month later, everyone looooooooooves the achievements, and now Valve, months after that, comes out with their own version of the same concept.

I don't think these achievements are dumb at all, and I like them, but what I DO find stupid, is they did one class at a time, so you get servers that are nothing but medics not even playing the game the right way. They should have done multiple classes at once. This way, everyone would still play the game the right way, as their choice of class.

Medic achievements are the worst thing to happen to this game. Almost every single match I have played has at least a 1:1 ratio of medics to combat classes. This would sometimes be compounded by having three out of ten or so players be snipers. One I can understand. Two I will tolerate. Three, when our team is already gimped by extra medics? Unbearable. It doesn't help that the both the blutsauger and ubersaw are clearly better than their vanilla counterparts. I mean, lets compare the blutsauger and the syringe gun. Blutsauger: foolproof spy-checks, healing, aiming correction. All of this at the cost of criticals, which isn't a big deal because criticals were a bonus, not a dependable factor. Ubersaw: I don't know about you guys, but when I bonesaw, I use it during an ambush. A 20% speed penalty doesn't do anything.

On an unrelated note, is it just me, or is Second Opinion broken? I have juggled my ubercharge between two people on several occasions, and have yet to receive it.

I have to say they should have kept the original Medic achievements and had it at 10,000,000 heal points. That should stop everyone that did not play Medic previously.

Like I said before though. Find a good server and stick to it. I have and usually don't see problems like that.

I'm hoping to farm some achievements tonight. Who's up for it? Lets send each other friend invites. Then at 8:00 someone creates a server and we farm to our hearts content.

Send an invite to "Admiral Ackbar"

Rmember, one of the achievemnts is that you have to uber ten friends.

Yea dunno about that second opinion one. I've tried it a few times as well.

The house call one as well. I joined a friend's game and charged up an uber and used it on him, but didn't get it.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yea dunno about that second opinion one. I've tried it a few times as well.

The house call one as well. I joined a friend's game and charged up an uber and used it on him, but didn't get it.[/QUOTE]

Check the console. There are a variety of things that could cause an achievement not to register. Could be anything from not actually being connected to Steam to being on a server that had cheats enabled recently. Usually the console will tell you why an achievement didn't record, if you performed it properly.

I hear the hardest one is the one where you have to get yourself gloating on another players killshot. I hear it has a bitch of a time registering.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I hear the hardest one is the one where you have to get yourself gloating on another players killshot. I hear it has a bitch of a time registering.[/quote]

I got it to work the second time I tried. Noticed I had syringed somebody right in front of me, pressed 'g' and got the achievement. No issues.

The only ones I need are the helpign hand pictured one whereyou need 20 nemesis assists. I'm at 14. And the hard one where you lead the score with six people or more on your team and no skills.

I actually did it once but had 1 kill so it didn't count.

bread's done
Back